I'd grab a midi->cv module soonish - using v/oct for the cutoff is a classic technique...
[...]
I'm not sure I'd have got into modular just to get a filter - there are 'pedals' that can do that

re the voltage mismatch: this is what offset modules are for - something like the happy nerding 3 * mia, for example - attenuate/attenuvert and offset... it's why we keep saying utilities are so important... (see signasture)

-- JimHowell1970

You're right. That's why I went for the Nifty Case. It's got Midi to CV conversion on board: 2 CV/gate outputs for 2 Midi channels + mod + clock output. A pedal/stompbox, like you said, can do the same (w/ an envelope follower). But, like you implied I think, that might not be the ideal companion for a synthesizer: Midi to CV is.

I didn't buy these modules to keep it at that. I wanted to dip my toes in. The way it is now 85% (72 of the 84 HP) of the case is still empty and ready for future "G.A.S.". And given the choice in excellent modules of about 4 to 8 HP I'm sure it will be a nice little companion for my synths in a few years or months. :)

I've already orderd my next module: an envelope follower/gate.

I've got my eyes on a few sample & hold modules like the Doepfer A-118-2, Doepfer A-184-1 or the Erica Synths Pico LFO/S&H. I'll see what modules I'll want to/need connect to the S&H of my choosing.

Next might be an oscillator.

I took the "El Cheapo" plunge a few days ago and bought me a Nifty Case and 2 very small modules. I think it'll last me quite a while though. Because nowadays thare are a mother-load of modules to choose from that are only 4 to 8 HP wide.

-- MeneerJansen

What 2 modules did you buy? (Ah I have justed seen your 2 modules on your eurorack)

My set up began with a Plaits clone (Behringer Brains- but at 16HP its bigger than the original) as it was cheaper but meant I had a module that was my voice. I could play around with it and start my eurorack journey. I also bought a Ladik composser N (as my random turing machine) which is great and I think 4HP but as it was explained to me I did not have a "clock" to trigger the Ladik. So I went on the hunt for a second hand Pamelas new workout - which is amazing and have started to make more interesting sounds. The menu is very simple to pick up but I am now wondering what to get next?

My set up will become a semi/generative ambient unit in time but am in no rush to fill a case...just looking at modules wondering what will go well with what I have so far? Maybe I can buy another module before the end of the year.

-- EuroBadger

That Behringer Brains module will keep you busy for quite a while I think! Excellent choice for a versatile oscillator/voice.

I bought the 2 modules that are on the 'My Modular' here on Modulargrid. I wanted an extension for my other synths. As is the case with most people, the modular setup isn't exactly my first synth. As a matter of fact: I've got more than enough of 'm. So no shortage of oscillators and (Midi) sequencers. But I wanted a 24 dB/oct filter.

So I bought the Rides In The Storm 'SED' filter. At first I wanted the copy of the famous Moog modular filter from Behringer (the 904A) but it was sold out everywhere. And it's meant for the typical way that the Moog modular system of the late 60's works. Hmmmm. Module after module appeared not to work the way I thought/expected, so I went safe and bought 2 modules (EG and Filter) from the same manufacturer.

I like the Dreadbox 'Eudemonia' 24 dB/oct filter too, but I read in it's manual that the CV needs to be operated at -5 V to +5 V (which is the standard for an LFO, not an envelope generator). The other input is labelled 1V/oct which I think is meant for keyboard tracking, not an envelope (the 'SED''s got both!). Getting into modular is hard if you ain't got no experience yet.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with the two. They have a ton of functionality, some of it a bit "under the hood". For many modules the manual ain't very good/informative. I might post my personals "how to" I wrote down in a text document on the two.

Gonna buy me an evelope follower with Gate functionality soon so I can use the filter with an audio siganl (like an auto-Wah).

I have to agree that the Nifty Case is very, very tempting. Maybe a nice "extra" portable mini-modular setup (for later on after buying your first serious case) if you don't mind the 200 bucks...
-- MeneerJansen

The Niftycase will last me a while but there may be a time when I will have to move on.
I think I have found what will be my serious case - Rackbrute 6U ( but then i'll have to buy an output module...oh the financial pain!)

-- EuroBadger

I took the "El Cheapo" plunge a few days ago and bought me a Nifty Case and 2 very small modules. I think it'll last me quite a while though. Because nowadays thare are a mother-load of modules to choose from that are only 4 to 8 HP wide. For instance good ol' Doepfer (which, if I'm not mistaken, is a very well respected brand in the community), Rides In The Storm and Erica Synths with their "Pico" range. It forces you to keep your setup small and "workable".

Another pro of a small rack it that it's so easy to fit into your setup/work space or even to take with you to a friends' house to jam. In another topic there's a discussion on what people rather have: a few smaller racks or a big one againts the wall in a fixed place in the house. Some like a collection of 104 cases better...

Thanks for the info. I'm reading as much as I can 'bout modular but stumble upon a standard problem every now and then.

Strange thing is that a lot of manuals of modules do not mention the voltages of CV in and/or out (the sometimes frowned upon Behringer does have excellent tables w/ all info you need for instance). Is there an "unwritten law" or standard like 0 to 10 V for filter CV in if not otherwise specified? I mean: even if you have a utility module, don't you have to know the exact voltage specifications of the modules to patch 'm together via a utility module?

The Dreadbox Eudemonia filter takes an input CV of -5/+5 Volt. However, some of the Envelope Generators that I'm considering have an output CV of 0 to 10 V. Are they compatible?

Again, thanks for the tips.

Question:
Do I need a module to amplify (gain) the audio from my synths if I want to input it into a Eurorack module (i.e. a filter)? The output of my Korg Monologue, for example, is as loud as the headphone out (I tested). How does headphone level volume compare to modular level?

Off topic
I live near The Hague, in The Netherlands. In the eighties there were two very good and famous music stores here and they had a shop in the center of the city. They were Servaas and Rock Palace. The first closed shop in 1994 (wow! has it been that long? I'm getting F-ing elderly!) the second became Key Music a few years ago and is closed now. Like some of you said: when it became Key Music the personnel that studied or worked in the music biz disappeared and buffons who insult your intelligence were placed behind the counter. Modularsynthesizers.nl oficially resides at Lulofsstraat 55 in The Hague (they're not open to the public). I know where that is, never occured to me though.

There also was a very, very nice store in Rotterdam (not in the center though) that became Key Music and then went bust/disappeared. Went there a few times w/ public transportation to look around and bought stuff there. They had a big classic car in the middle of the store. If you know how to read Dutch (or if Google translate can make something readable out of it) then there's a saddning article of its downwfall after it became Key Music here. See picture below.

Key Music Rotterdam, R.I.P.

I'm afraid that nowadays we're bound to reviewers and sound snippets on Yuotube to "test" and "listen" to musical instruments.

BTW
Luckily AJH Synth modules can be bought in "regular" web shops like Thomann etc. Second hand might still be an option, however: I fear that shipping from outside The Netherlands (even if it's in the EU) is gonna be so expensive that what I save is little. Some sources say I even have to pay VAT (which is a whopping 21% in Holland) if I buy second hand from Great Britan or the US. I might have a look around though in the Dutch synthesizer forum: they sell a lot of stuff 2nd hand there too.

I asked Bax Music about one of the modules that I like. They don't disclose their mail address on their website anymore (deal breaker for me) and I can see that they haven't read the mail, or replied to it, yet.

@danlegg and @JimHowell1970 thank you for your replies.

I'd preferably buy from companies like Thomann because I'm familiar with 'm (in the sense that I've bought from 'm before).

I didn't know that line level is considerably lower than modular level, I was afraid that I'd "blow up" the modules with output from a synth. Good to know that I sooner need Gain instead of an attenuator.

One of the filters I considered is, indeed, the Doepfer A-120. I saw reviews on Youtube about the Behringer 904A and they said that is was a reasonable replica of the orig. 904A filter (24 dB/oct) from good ol' Moog. If I'm not mistaken then a MiniMoog has sort of the same filter but it appears to, partly, thank it's wonderful sound due to a slightly overdriven input from the oscillator. So maybe I'll have to go for the Doepfer: a brand well respected in the Eurorack community if I'm not mistaken.

I'll do some research on buying second hand in Holland.

Unfortunatly all physical music stores in the part of Holand where I lve have closed. And when they were still open I wasn't impressed by the people working there in the end. So listening to the mudule in question is almost out of the question.

I'll do some more research w/ the help of the extra info I've got now! Thanks.

Hello there,

My first post here. Been lurking around and like the positive atmosphere.

To get straight to the point: I've read the post "Why to NOT get into modular synthesis" and I fall into Category 0 called "not having sufficient capital to sustain a build", ha ha. ;) I've studied various options and initially the best one for me (to dip my toes in) seemed to be the Behringer 104 case. However, it's less than 4 cm (1.5") deep which rules out even B. own CP1A power supply (!). The price for a recommended case of 2 x 3U high and 104 HP wide rises exponentially then. Even for a humble 104 HP setup to get started.

I'm a synth hobbyist (I don't make actual finished "music" or songs): I like to experiment. I hate DAW's and even recording DAW-less is too much hassle for me. I own a few cheap but very sweet synths that are dear to me.

However, at the moment I'm suffering, yet again, from a serious case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and I'm barely able to control myself from buying more synths. Most of 'm can do only one trick that the synths in my modest, small, collection can't. It's getting frustrating that I have to shelf some of 'm. But I'll never sell 'm: I'd rather die. Each one fills a certain "gap" or "need" (such as: polyphony, organ, freak machine, quick 'n dirty to setup, drum machine, sampler, choose pre-set and have fun, super portable sit on the couch, etc.).

Anyway, I'd like to finally own me a fat 24 dB/oct filter (like the one in a MiniMoog) but I'll be damned to buy a Behringer Model D only for the filter. I'd like to experiment a bit with sample and hold (The Who anyone?) but I'll be damned to buy an MS-20 or Behringer K-2 for only that (I'm almost unable to control myself concerning the K-2 though).

I'm jealous of people who can buy a small, single, module that'll expand one's setup with functionality like that. And use it in combination with other stuff without shelving one or two synths because of the lack of space in the work/hobby area.

What I'd like to have is a modular setup with at least a Midi to CV module to trigger an EG (I've got more than enough Midi sequencers and Midi keyboards already, I don't want a Arturia Keystep). And then I'd like to input the sound from a synth's oscillator into a modest modular rack to route it to, say, a filter w/ an EG. I don't know for sure if that's possible. I was thinking about the following for example:

I'd like to do the following:

• Connect my synths' audio OUT (which is triggered on/off by it's own keyboard) (maybe attenuated by my audio device or mixer) into a Eurorack Filter's IN.
  • Connect my synths Midi OUT to a Eurorack Midi-to-CV module.
  • Connect the Midi-to-CV gate (or trigger?) OUT to the EG's gate IN.
  • Connect the EG's OUT (is that CV?) to the Filter CV IN.
  • Route the Filter audio OUT to an amplifier or audio device.
  • Use my synth w/ a different Filter that way.

I don't know for sure if I can use, for example, the Gate OUT of the Cre8audio Nifty Case to trigger an EG (the Nifty manual says you can, on page 6), or that I need a Midi-to-CV module like the Behringer CM1A with a trigger OUT.

I also don't know if I definitely need an attenuator. And I don't know if the Filter modules that I listed really have that "Moog" sound. On a MiniMoog (and any other synth I have) there a knob marked "Intensisty" or "Amount" which controls how intense the filter cutoff is controlled by the EG. I.e. when Int. is set to 0 then the filter is on but not controlled by the EG. Is that an attenuator? Or does the Int. knob on a regular synth amplify (not attenuate) the CV from your EG?

I do know that the Cre8audio Nify Case has too little HP's to most people's liking, but it has on-board Midi-to-CV and a VCA so it can be directly connected to a mixer or audio device. That'll save me HP's and money. What I also like about it is its portability: could be the ideal friend for a synthesizer.

And after dipping my toes into modular I might even buy me a proper case if I get addicted (sell the Nifty Case).

To make a long story short: I'd like to expand a synth with a modest Eurorack setup. Is that doable?

I have to agree that the Nifty Case is very, very tempting. For appox. 200 Euro you get Midi-to-CV and VCA built in. But, indeed, it ain't very future proof. Maybe a nice "extra" portable mini-modular setup (for later on after buying your first serious case) if you don't mind the 200 bucks...