Thread: Ambient Rack

I don't think you're missing anything important! Looks like a competent ambient guitar processing setup with possibilities to create new interesting timbres, even without an external instrument.

The only thing I can think about is maybe having some quality of life stuff regarding interfacing with your guitar and pedals. Maybe some jack converters etc?

I can certainly think of a few good and rare old ones. Harvestman Double Andore 1 and Hertz Donut 1 are absolutely fantastic modules that are difficult to get a hold of nowadays. The Livewire AFG was a staple module when I got started in 2010 as well as the Toppobrillo Sport Modulator, both now obscure and hard to find. Of course the elusive QMMG. :-)

On the topic of what 'modern' modules are becoming rare, I figure the Sputnik modules will all essentially be hard to find in the future. They are all very good, and as far as I know all production has seized. Maybe the Roland Demora/Scooper et al are candidates too?

Hiya! I'm in the process of making my first own module. I think using the Atmega 328PU is a common and popular way of making fairly complex task without having to design complex analog circuits. Examples such as the original ALM Pamela, 4ms PEG, Mutable Instruments Grids, Bastl Kompas etc really show this potential.

Now, are there any common tips when designing such machines? Is there a common rule for all arduino projects? What are some pitfalls that you got into when sketching?

I am building a trigger sequencer for the 1u row. Using trigger inputs it will read from a buffer and decide wether or not to output a trigger.

Thankful for absolutely any tips. :-)

From left to right: Moog M32, Erica synths micro buffered mult, Intellijel µVCA, MN Function, Studio Electronics oscillator, Pittsburgh Lifeforms Binary filter and lifeforms ADSR. Quite a funky system!

Well we should have something to inform us of how many HP we have free on our racks and when you hover your mouse over a free space it should input the amount of HP free on the space! That would rock and would make my life much easier!
-- AThousandDetails

Took me a while but Space Guides, a similar function is now available.

-- modulargrid

Nice!!!

Do these modules exist? Where can I buy them?

This is easy to bend from the two right angle bends of the support, especially when it is full of cables (even short ones.) I have put some hard rubber down to support the base to minimize the stress and hopefully prolong it's life. It is functional, but I believe it is way overpriced for its poor design.
-- gonkulator

Think you could take a picture of the white mounting plate? It would serve well as a picture for the module entry.

Looks like something outta Indiana Jones! I love the visual style. I'm looking forward to more exciting modules from this maker.

Hey I saw this in a Vine today! I'm Wogglebug 303 on there ;)

This is the best seq ever, period. I'm so happy with mine. It's so versatile, small and hnng I just wanna hug it

Well spoken wavicle - I think we should have some kind of guideline for this to set a standard for future reference. I'm honestly rather opposed of adding both directions of possibly inverted modules too, like Planar and Choices, also. Like mentioned before, I think usability comes before personal flair. We only need separate entries when there are actual differences in specifications, not visual style.

I'm all for open minded-ness, but I feel that it's unnecessary to add extra modules flipped. There's no need to exactly replicate the visual style of one's system. The HP is the same, so I don't see why people who do decide to flip their modules can't do that in private. I have Doepfer modules with Davies knobs. Should I make an extra entry for each module? Granted some modules are designed to be fitted both ways but frankly it's completely unnecessary. The modulargrid service wasn't designed to fit everyone's individual needs - each module should have one page, allowing us to accurately plan and rate our systems. In order to keep this module index clean and manageble, we should remove these entries.

can we stop adding upside down modules?

ADDAC you god damn geniouses, what will you do next!? First a brain control output module and now this? As someone getting started with artuino and who wants to learn prototyping and stuff, this is just next level. I'm getting this, for certain.

This is starting to get really really dumb. Stop posting upside down modules!

Totally! I don't visit Muff's.

I agree with nelson, a composition forum would be cool!

I'm Wiktorion, or Viktor which is my real name.

I live in Sweden where I run a small art studio called Studio Odessa.

I've been dabbling with modular synthesizers since I was 18. That might sound like I'm old in the game, but I'm 23 years old, so many of you are far more experienced than I! :) I've got a dreaming, hazy mind, which colours everything in my environment, especially my music; I make Electronic Shoegaze, or Dream Pop(www.soundcloud.com/vpilkington).

I also dream about modulars constantly, hypothetical systems and configurations, which has lead me to different modular system planners.

A friend told me about Modulargrid and I was instantly hooked! This is where I can see all the latest modules and plan my dream systems, or calculate power needs for my current one. I've also been trusted by head honcho Knut to keep the module library clean of gunk and duplicates, and also to keep the forum nice and tidy. Looking forward to finally get to meet you all (I've been oogling at your systems, you know!)