OK...it arrived this morning. I got it unpacked around 10:30 AM.

Then when I checked my watch again after fiddling with the B1 and putting it through its paces...it was 12:30 PM.

It's the real deal, sound-wise...even with a 4-pole LPF, as it sounds curiously 3-pole-ish...like the real thing. The glide function has Roland's odd little "error" of not being a fully linear portamento. Run up the overdrive circuit and oh...my....

Suffice to say, the sound is far closer to what I'm used to out of a TB-303 than anything I've encountered in the 30 or so years that companies have been trying to clone the original. It can be nice and pure...or hostile and gritty AF! And yes...everything in between (for a change!).

As for the sequencer...it's also like the Roland's (ie: obtuse as hell), but some of this comes from the way the sequencer gets accessed, which is technically better than the TB-303...but it's definitely got a learning curve. But it can do things such as syncing to a number of different clocks...including, yes, the 24 ppqn DINsync...and even Korg's 48 ppqn! Oh...and MIDI out.

Also, there's a way around the sequencer's normal edit and enter modes: Donner came up with some basic software editing that can handle that, plus a few other surprises. Just connect the B1 via its USB-C port to your PC, done. But if you insist on using only the B1's UI, you'll find that the gimmicky-looking keypads are also a much better set of control indicators than the teensy LEDs of Roland's box. They're bright and super-obvious.

So...how does this fit in with modular? Well, the sequencer is easily connected to most anything via MIDI, so you can use the B1 as a 1-channel MIDI sequencer. And also, it's got that audio input, which lets you impose the VCF's sequenced filter behavior on an external signal. I 100% cannot stress the importance of that MIDI I/O; it's THE reason why you might want one to couple up with a monophonic Eurorack build as both a controller AND monophonic sequencer.

Better than Uli's? Yes. The internal feature set is better (thanks to the sequencer's capabilities), the form factor makes more sense these days, and the fact that it can be used as a PROPER synthesizer instead of being purely a sequencer box. And there's that SOUND again...seriously, the VCF can do that hollow "snarly" sound and the VCF controls (key to performing with a TB-303) are super-responsive and also react very well to the gate length, glide, etc. So you can use the MIDI out to sequence, then fire the output off to the B1's audio input and use your whole damn modular system as the "voice"! Woo-hoo!!!!!

But the biggest deal of all is this:

Cheapest original TB-303 on Reverb: $3395
Donner B1 that sounds and acts pretty much identical to the TB-303: $160.

Oh, and one other point...if you've been over to The Website Formerly Known As Gearslutz and checked the threads on this, you'll notice that there's one of Donner's reps there as well, and they want input on how to make this thing even better through another non-TB-303 function: firmware updates. They're actually interacting and as opposed to a certain other China-based MI firm, they're not making lofty vaporware proclamations and showing off speculative renders but actually communicating so that they can make this box do things WE like via other actual users' input. What's not to like?

Lastly, the box lists some useful info for those of you in the EU and UK...distributor contact info. So for those wanting to know when this is available over there, here's the contacts:
UK: tanmetbiz@outlook.com
EU (Germany): utaundico@hotmail.com

I might sound a bit overhyped here about this, TBH...but this really is a big gamechanger, both in terms of being the best 303-alike ever, and in terms of moving the TB-303's design forward, rather than slavishly copying the original version. It's really that good!

have you tried selecting them in datasheet view and then copying and pasting them?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I was in the exact same situation as you. I opted for Bloom early. After first struggling with it, I discovered that I loved it later on for generative purposes.
I don’t put much effort into programming sequences really. I just play around with it as I go and let the algorithm take it from there.
Especially in a two voice setup it’s great.

I’m also curious about what a Turing machine can do in combination with a quantizer. Maybe a setup that would suit you as well.

I'd love to be able to take all my listed modules under 'My Modules' and export them to a database like Airtable or a humble Excel spreadsheet.

What are my options? Or has anyone tried to do something similar?

Tried to buy a 2hp hats from @didierpriem , very shaky coms from the start, package got lost, user is unresponsive since then, no module, no refund. down 100Euros. don't buy from this user, and give me a holler if you get hold of him.

So which is your favorite shifter, and why? do u think digital vs analog makes sense for a shifter comparison, or own both kind of approach do u think ?
-- fzzz

My fave? Easily the Bode, which was an "aftermarket" item from Moog back in the day, then it became an actual module some time later. It has a certain "smoothness" to the sound that some digital ones lack. I've also got the Field Kit FX's shifter, which is sort of a "garage"-style shifter...it's not "clean", but it IS effective.

It'll be interesting to see if Uli can really pull off his bargain-basement Bode. As I recall, the tradeoff for the great audio quality was extremely touchy behavior by the module/outboard, especially when balancing out the "carrier" so that it doesn't break thru.

Nice :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

1/ Download and try VCV Rack software
2/ Buy a copy of the book Patch & Tweak

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy anything before doing the above items.

Thank me later :-)
-- sacguy71

"Patch and Tweak" is decent...but the "try VCV Rack" part? Yeah, +1 billion.

VCV does a great job of emulating Eurorack, but also in taking Eurorack to a zone or two where it doesn't normally go. Just make sure to have a potent piece of computing hardware to run it on; see the FAQs there.

There's always the Pittsburgh case mode in there...plus, it works for a lot of other cases; Erica had some a few years back that also did the wood side-bolsters with rails thing, and I know there's others.

Thread: Starter kit

It is very cool. I just had my first play around with it - with its 8x16 grid, it's a very visual way of working, which I like. It's a bit like the Deluge, but sequencer only. And it's tiny! The entire box it shipped in, containing the Oxi One, a carrying case, cables, and a module to connect modular with a single cable, fits into my BSP case!

that's great - sometimes bigger is better, and sometimes the opposite

I was looking for a trade-off. The Oxi seems to have the perfect balance of a very solid unit in a very small footprint. I need to mention that I'm ironing out a few problems with Oxi, but they're very supportive and I'm sure it will get right eventually (2 out of 8 gates don't work). With that limitation in mind, it's already very, very good. Quite a learning curve, as the thing can do anything, but very well worth it.

yeah I think there's a lot of character in effects... there can be both subtle and massive differences in almost all of them... probably why I have so many!

I've been loving the Versio for that reason. Melotus now, Electus tomorrow, Ruina yesterday.

I checked out Harlequin's Context and it looks great! It solves the "can't adjust this knob accurately enough in realtime" problem. I knew there were programmers like this, and the Harlequin is pretty small as well.

One thing it can't do is reflash the Versio in realtime

Here's one version of a performance case that I could build. I swapped out the Feedback Static for a 2U noise source + VCNO, which has V/Oct for chip noise. Smaller hp together, but more flexibility. Top row is identical, 1U row adds a slew and a Quadratt. At the bottom: Batumi instead of LFO, matrix mixer, Tete+Tetrapad, Harlequin. And a few more [1]fs, which I'm finding very useful indeed. I'm not at the point where I'll be building this, but it's nice to get ideas. Feedback is welcome!

well it all seems easily portable in a rucksack and 2 cases... so ok on public transport!! another option of course is buy a massive case for home and swap what you need into a single case for a gig...
I hope your wife is understanding...

I can't complain so far :-) Talk about travelling light: I'm off for a weekend next, and I'll be taking Oxi + iPad + headphones. Curious to see how that works out. Nothing modular, though there is the Model D on iPad. It's a trial run of my summer holiday when we'll be travelling very light as well.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

So which is your favorite shifter, and why? do u think digital vs analog makes sense for a shifter comparison, or own both kind of approach do u think ?
-- fzzz

For me, the main two differences between DSP-based and analog frequency shifters are:
1) DSP-based shifters produce aliasing of the high frequencies when shifting upwards. This can of course be a wanted effect. Some VST plugins also have compensation for that: https://soniccharge.com/echobode
2) Analog shifters only have aliasing for low frequencies when shifting downwards. But often, the signal bleed through of the modulating oscillator is a problem. Especially, when I want to use them with delay and feedback.

this user has left ModularGrid

Two things:

1/ Download and try VCV Rack software
2/ Buy a copy of the book Patch & Tweak

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy anything before doing the above items.

Thank me later :-)

output of vco into vca and then possibly into a filter (or vice versa)
-- JimHowell1970

I like to put the filter before the VCA these days so the resonance gets handled by the envelope as well but that's just a variation of the perfectly fine workflow Jim explained so well.

Main beat comes from Pamela's New Workout > Disting Mk4 > Ts-L plus Bloom > Ts-L as well as Eudemonia > Ts-L. Next up, Pam is clocking Varigate 4+ into Plaits which is set up to clap on the down beat. Basimilus is the kick drum.

Or you could mic up your coffee machine. No, seriously! If you check out Tangerine Dream's BRILLIANT early dronefest "Zeit", you can hear the result on (I think?) "Birth of Liquid Pleiades", where the "liquid" part is Edgar miking up Dieter Dierks' Mr. Coffee machine.

And scarily...it works!

Actually, the OP needs to get the 0-Ctrl as well, because https://reverb.com/item/39263230-3dwaves-triple-tier-stands-for-the-make-noise-0-coast-0-ctrl-strega-semi-modular-synthesizers With that stand to keep things organized-ish, getting the third device for the Make Noise "Cheapsel" and putting them all in one spot is an excellent opportunity and super-easy.

As for the Palette, though...that doesn't really click, particularly if you're shooting for drones, noises, and generative things. Around here, the common wisdom is that the best solution for a new modular build and new user is the Tiptop Mantis. 104 hp x 2, $335, with a seriously stonkin' power supply (3A on the +12!). Can't beat it with an ugly stick!

Couple of other points: first, you should probably aim for a more all-encompassing modular with the eye to making it capable of working with the 0-stuff. But at the same time, a fully-built-out modular can function as a "nexus" of processing, control, and sound generation for the "Cheapsel" as well as most anything that winds up in the studio. So it's not JUST an instrument. In fact, one of my installation works from c. 2000 uses my modular (Digisound 80) purely as a processing device.

Second, a build in a Mantis can be easily expanded. Tiptop has a set of connecting brackets that lets you put two of them together in an "over/under" configuration (see here: https://tiptopaudio.com/mantis/) and that'll double your hp immediately. And 416 hp can hold a scary-powerful synth! Plus $335 beats $399, especially when you consider the additional space, the excellent power supply, and also...it's just as portable as the Palette. Hell, Tiptop even offers a gig bag sized for the Mantis.

One last suggestion: you might also budget for a suitable controller. With a modular system, your best bet has got to be Arturia's Keystep Pro. I absolutely love mine; in tandem with some of the other sequencing hardware here, the KSP also fits that "nexus" definition.

Thread: Purchases

York Modular: VACVCA Vactrol-based VCA 4HP
Little Fish Audio: 555 Envelope 4HP

1010's Bitbox is nice for that..
if you just wanna play long samples as backing track or vibes I recommend radio music by music thing modular

Sort of annoying that there haven't been any new rack themes in forever. Would be really nice to have a wood case without huge shelf pieces between the rows, to mimic higher end studio furniture.

Hi, I’m new as well and will soon order my first set. Will not be able to help out with the specifics you’re asking about here, but I think this buyers guide from the r/modular was really helpful to navigate the world in the beginning!

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N46vujaaUOv2yyZq66Tuw5PNQmiBcRPypyQyHzghqos/edit?usp=sharing

Hello there,

My name's Clément. I've been playing and using synths since 2018-2019. Starting slow with a Korg Volca Modular, then a Korg Minilogue, then an Arturia Microfreak, then a Moog Mother-32 and some other hardware and software synths. By watching videos on youtube and playing synths alone and with my friends, I've been more and more fascinated by the modular world (as we all are obviously). I then got the hands on a Make Noise Strega and a 0-CTRL, I've been so glad and happy with those two. I also got a DIY arduino synth made with an arcade stick, which works in his own way and is wonderful, but unfortunately, there's no CV or any other possibilities of modulation, so it's kind of a only live instrument.

Anyway, I've decided to really start my journey into modular synths, but I need some advices about what to get first. My idea was to keep the Strega & 0-CTRL and then starting slow by buying just a rack and one or two modules, just to give more possibilities to those twos, then surely switch to full modular at one point, just take the time to understand better each module I'll get. I've already choose my first rack and it's gonna be an Intellijel Palette 104 HP.

I mostly want to do drone / noise / ambient kind of stuff, no drums, no melodies, just play with noises and sounds. Experimental thingy. I also want to be able to use my guitar or bass with the modular (as I do with Strega), but maybe in a second time.
I was thinking that my first modules didn't need to be sound sources, maybe any other things that can help me expand my Strega & 0-CTRL. I'm lost in the sea of brands and modules.

Sorry for the long post, but I think it was necessary if I wanted my request to be precise.
Hope you can help me and have a great day!

Clément

awesome thanks guys

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

plaits has an internal vc/vcf/lpg - most oscillators do not have this...

I'm assuming that the e352 doesn't...

pitch from bsp to vco pitch input (maybe marked v/oct)

output of vco into vca and then possibly into a filter (or vice versa)

gate from bsp into cv input of vca or into envelope generator and then into cv input of vca

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I haven't got an E352, but I do have Plaits and use it with the BSP. Pick either the yellow or the green sequencer. At the back, you will find "pitch", which goes into the Plaits V/Oct. And the trigger goes into the trigger. That's the basic setup. It works well with e.g. the resonance modes ("mini-Rings"). You can adjust some parameters by long-pushing the left button. See the manual for more info.

You can also patch the trigger to an envelope generator, as with analog VCOs that don't have triggers themselves. You can use the velocity to modify parameters, e.g. the timbre or the harmonics. But I don't find that very easy to do with the BSP as the pads aren't very accurate for velocity, so you'll have to use those knobs at the top to correct it all.

Ok, got it.
If the CV input of the sampler track 1 V/Octaves you can control your synth samples chromatically, So check for this spec in the features of the sampler you are considering.
The Squarp Rample can do this.

Very neat!

I mean that I can store my own synth samples on the sampler (wav, aiff, etc.) that I can control and play via an external keyboard

Hi, take a look at the Squarp Rample.
There are no samples duration limits, can play 4 mono or 2 stereo samples, support layers (think round robin or other creative purpose), you've got Fx and parameters under CV control.
If it's important for you to see the sample's waveform on a screen I would also consider an Erica Sample Drum.

"I would also like to store my own synth engines on it and control them via CV/gate"
do you mean importing a single looped cycle waveform?

Can anyone walk me through how i connect my synthtech E352 and Plaits to the beatstep pro so I can play Them on the 2 beatstep sequencers?

What do I need to connect to what?

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Hello everyone,
I'm currently looking for a sampler for specific purposes. I like to use field recordings to give a song a certain surface. These are usually around 5 minutes long. The sampler should therefore have no problem with long samples. I would also like to store my own synth engines on it and control them via CV/gate. A granular function is not important to me. I think Morphagene also has a lot of potential but the recording time is limited. I've only read good things about Squid Sample but unfortunately too short with 11s recording time. The only module I found is the 1010 Bitbox micro. Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks Garfield, no brewery sounds in this one, I should use some brewer sounds as percussion sometime as some of the Pump noise I've recorded with Contact Mics onto pipes would work well through the Patching Panda Punch VCA.
The cat likes cuddles, thankfully she's not chewed any cables for ages now, she knows she gets cuddles when I'm playing the modular.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

This turned up on the TV a couple of days ago:

One's already on its way here. As the video progresses and we get to the real 303 meat...and, oh my god...they DID IT!

See, the problem with replicating the TB-303 is two fold:

1) The filter doesn't have enough "grit". And...

2) The "glide" isn't easy to do...because Roland probably did that function "wrong" in the first place. But I was amazed when this did that "not really linear" portamento that's key to the 303 sound...and that's something that NO ONE has gotten right throughout the history of 303 clones!

...until now. And they even added a little bit of craziness by putting a headphone-out jack right next to the aux input. Minimoog feedback trick, anyone?

Just to make sure of this, though, I'll be putting this on a scope when it gets here so that I can look at the glide activity and a few other things. But when the demo switched for a bit to that wonderfully-hollow squarewave sound...wow. Just...wow.

Looks like Uli's got some competition over in China!

Thread: used parts

The immediate issue with using the Behringer System 100M modules is that they're HUUUUGE. I did put a Behringer copy of the ARP 2500 Filtamp in, though...it's an excellent LPF, and it comes with a VCA at the output. But as for the rest...well, here it is:
ModularGrid Rack
Assuming that this is for a Tiptop Mantis cab, which has its own, beefier power, I removed the 4ms P/S. And as for percussion, most of us will tell you that using a standalone drum machine, instead of building one in a modular build, is the way to go. You can use it as a master clock for other things, plus you can get some of Uli's recent offerings. For example, I've got two RD-6s (they're not just drums...they also give you two channels of trigger sequencing per unit) and an RD-8mkii. Both are really pretty damn good as far as emulating the originals' sound. Anyway...

TOP: Doepfer A-119 gives you your audio in...plus an envelope follower and a comparator-derived gate out so that you can also impose dynamic contours from incoming signals on all sorts of other modules. Doepfer's little ring mod/S&H/noise is after that. Then I added a dual slew gen from Ladik that offers switchable discriminators so that you can have portamento on upward or downward CV movement...or you can set them so that they work like "normal" portamentos. Ensemble osc is after that, then an Instruo tona provides a second oscillator with a built-in waveshaper. Not only can you use the tona as a doubling VCO to make the 4ms oscillator obscenely fat, it's very capable as its own VCO voice due to that CVable waveshaper. Next, Veils...probably one of the best solutions for combining VCAs with a basic mixer that's got a "breakable" mixbus. Then there's the Filtamp (actually, it would be a kick and a half to use this with that Instruo waveshaping VCO!), and after that, a G-Storm fave. Their Delta VCF is a clone of the SSM filter that was used in Korg's Delta ensemble keyboard as well as in their Poly-61. It also gives you a bandpass filter setting. Typhoon follows, then I added a Freq Central Stasis Leak, which gives you stereo chorus, reverb, and a tap-tempo delay. And lastly, a Happy Nerding (damn, I hope he's OK!) FX Aid for even more effects fun (and you'll see why in a bit).

BOTTOM: First up, since you've not got front panel DC bus indicators on a Mantis, the Konstant Labs PWRchekr handles that duty. This lets you keep an eye on DC rail health over the system. Then the QPLFO after that is just nuts...it can work like your usual quad LFO, but it can also output waveforms with a duty cycle that can range from the low end of audio out to an utterly crazed 71 MINUTES! And for things such as generative work, something like that is super-helpful. Frap's 321 and the After Later Dual VCA (VCAs based on the Mutable topology, but in an x2 package) are your modulation modifier "core", allowing you to tamper with your modulation and get results that the modulator modules by themselves can't really do. Maths is next...y'know, Make Noise really made a killer-app-type module with that thing...and offers lots of modulation potential. Hell, you'll be finding new things that it can do for years! For envelopes (as well as some really complex chaining and other madness), I put in Intellijel's Quadrax with its Qx expander, the latter allowing you to chain envelopes and create ridiculously complex mod signals...or four envelope generators with CV over both rise and fall. Following that is the Disting...around mid-cab so that it's easy to drop into either the modulation OR audio paths. O-scope's after that...although I'll (and certainly others as well) tell you that unless this has some other features, you should drop it and use an external scope. Otherwise, it's a one-trick module that's occupying 15 hp that could be used for functional use instead. Anyway, following that is your mixer: a Tesseract Tex-Mix with four mono inputs. Also, these inputs have their own exponential VCAs, so that deals with the output level control. The Tex-Mix system also offers two FX busses (2 mono send, 2 stereo returns) for effects. So you could use the Typhoon as a "global" effect, or the FX Aid, and still have the 1-in/2-out Stasis Leak, which is perfect for the Tex-Mix effects busses. Note also that you can input mono to the FX Aid via the left input only. And last, a Happy Nerding Isolator, in their new mkii version (2 hp slimmer, plus an additional headphone preamp...giving you TWO headphone monitors, one of which can take the Tex-Mix's "cue" function so that you can have a dry pre-mix sound; this is the sort of thing that, if your tuning or something else goes wacky, you can put that channel on "cue", monitor that via the Tex-Mix phones to fix the issue, and go right on...with pretty much no one knowing that there was a problem.

Now, this is a pretty comprehensive system. It's definitely got more going on than the previous version, mainly due to the fact that you don't have a whole bunch of oversized modules stealing functional space. More expensive...but this is partly due to finishing the build out and also to not putting all of those B-100M modules in there. It's built tighter, which means more functionality and more sonic possibilities. See what you think...

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Interesting track! Did you use your brewery for an input signal? It sounds a bit like that. Great experimental sounds, for example around 19:00, it gives me goose bumps :-)

Glad to see your cat again who seems to be still very interested in your rack, is it? :-) Does he/she actually likes the music? Or is it rather curiosity?

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

This is really good, amazing you managed to get all that out of one source.
-- wishbonebrewery
Thank you a lot ! HO que great for that kind of exercise !

This is really good, amazing you managed to get all that out of one source.

You might need to crank up the volume on this.

Three sound sources, the Noise from Kinks, Error Instruments Indian Resonator and an Ambient field recording, Threw a few beats in the middle too. Some joystick play effecting the Indian Resonator though there is some Random and LFO hitting the joystick too. Later on I'm riding the Feedback and joystick while the Pitch CV is being modulated from the NE Clep Diaz.
Listen out for the Frog croaks and the Ice Cream Van :)

Ok monolog continue :)

ModularGrid Rack

I've made some revisions and changed out the analog VCO to a Digital that can do more on it's on from start. Went with the classic Plaits where the menus seems not to deep and alot of value for the money.

Also read up on the Milky-way and heard alot of issues with it, and swapt it for a Beads instead.

Still looking at adding a Sequenser and another VCO like the STO or Dixii if I see it needed.

ModularGrid Rack

A few small changes/suggestions.
Get Plaits instead of Brains, it will be a much better financial decision because of MI going out of business apart from all the other great things about the Brand.
Get Links Instead of a simple buffered mult while you can, it brings a lot more to the table, and will not be available anymore shortly, apart from clones.
Buy the Mutable Modules first, before they‘re gone. You will not regret it.
Then probably Maths and move on from there.
This seems like a very solid way to start and make up your Mind about what you want from Modular!

Best
Chris

modul are out

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/instruo-larachd

Greadings from Berlin
Statrax

Find us live on
twitch YouTube

ModularGrid Rack

So i ve updated my first rack to be built and would like to get some feedback / advices.
Goal is to have a little synth to get bleepy weird melodies / wonky basslines.
This rack will be complimented with 0-cost desktop & DFAM desktop.
I d like to know if i missed something / or having something i dont really need / what can i add to get more interesting sounds

this user has left ModularGrid

or get an MDLR 14u case and not run out of space for essential utility modules :-)

like many modules posted recently this one is devoid of any data or description.
Do it right or leave it to others who do take the time.

Continuing my journey in modular. Started off with a Teenage engineering pocket operator 400 and not been that exited turning knobs since I got my first Nintendo. Yes, I know, not real modular, but a good start to understand the fundamentals. It's still a fun piece and will use it, but it lacks depth.

I've come to the conclusion I really like just playing around with the system, turning knobs and explore what happens. Therefor, I've tried to leave out menu deep, preset moduals (except Pams) for that reason. I will use it to just play music as a stand-alone thing, so no plans to record. I also don't want to control it with a computer/midi right now, since it's the computer I want to get away from.

Been researching for some time now and have come done to this setup.

Pams: for rhythm, clock, randomization, melody
STO: as the main VCO in the system
Maths: as envelope and LFO modulation, as well as secondary VCO if needed
Forbidden planet: for filtering and aliens
Quad VCA: for modulation and a mixer until I expand to a dedicated one
Milkyway: as the effect module, mainly after a nice reverb, but with some extra thing for fun exploration
XOH: to output to headphones and speakers
RackBrute 6U: the case

This is the plan to be the starting point. Anything missing or suggested changes?

Going forward, I really want to get in a sequencer and some dedicated drum sound machines to enhance the melodies from the first row.

Here my latest one with the Verbos HO as the only sound source.
It was time to challenge myself to make a track with only this fantastic voice ! More patch notes on the YT description.

You would be very wise to take everyones advice and get a Tip Top Mantis. You'll thank yourself as your module collection grows... BUT... Personally, I enjoy creating individual "instruments" from smaller cases, so I took a run at what I think would be a fun little 84hp inside the NiftyCase

ModularGrid Rack

PICO Seq is a surprising little sequencer. Pam's for all sorts of clocks and timed modulations. Plaits because authentic Mutable Instruments are the best (boo Uli). Forbidden Planet from your original build, but I like Lugia's MMM filter choice better. Maths because Maths isn't too complicated. Veils VCA as suggested above. Beads for granular and reverb. PICO DSP for another layer of FX. Mixup to finish everything off

To hit your 1500 Euro budget most modules can wait since you're planning to sequence (and presumably record / add effects) with Ableton. A great start would be: Plaits, Pam's and Maths, then add modules as you learn what you need

Some observations here...

Cre8 case. Nuh-uh. Jim mentions the Mantis, and these days it pretty much is the goofproof workingman's synth cab. Lightweight, SOLID power, and expandable to a second Mantis via Tiptop's link brackets. And it's nowhere near this small, which is good because while you CAN make tiny modulars with 2-4 hp modules, these will be downright hellish to work with due to the dense panel space. For instance, you see that here with the Erica DSP and the 2 hp module to its right; unless you LIKE tweaking knobs with tweezers, don't do this.

Buffered mults are superfluous without multiple destinations that REQUIRE properly-scaled control voltages. You only have one module here that demands that, ergo no point in the buffered mult. Also, with builds this small, many of us recommend that you DON'T use mults of any sort in small-scale builds as you want as much functionality in the patchpanel, and mults eat this up.

+1 on the "why four channels of quantizing?" from Jim. Seriously, if there's only ONE oscillator, you only need ONE quantizer. And that even applies when you've got two oscillators, as you'll want one to detune a touch to get things HUGE.

Behringer Brains. No. When Uli makes something that hasn't existed in years/decades, that's...OK? I mean, he's still a total asshat, but he's being quasi-ethical with those (aside of handing Korg its own ass on a plate in the "2600 wars", which I thought was not only ethical given Korg's antics, but the only way for "normal people" to get the 3620 circuits) and the gear IS really useful. But when Uli goes at a small company, steals their circuits, steals their interface design, and tries to front that they cooked that up...oh, HELL no. And that, in a nutshell, is what he's done here. Actions like these are why you could make a mint by kidnapping him and setting him in a state fair-type dunking-booth at the next Superbooth..."C'mon folks and get a shot at an inhuman and totally unhousebroken corporate jackass! Only 3 balls for a dollar! Win yerself an actual Mutable Instruments Plaits! C'mon down, folks!" Pft.

OK...here's a shot at reworking the build...
ModularGrid Rack
This is in the same cab...1 x 84 hp. Again, I still think that you'd be better served by building this in a Mantis.

Left end has a Konstant Labs PWRchekr so you can have some visual feedback on your DC rails' performance. Then the sequencer is next, and I went with a Tenderfoot Lattice, which is sort of like a scaled-down Tiptop Z8000. I put an Erica PICO quantizer by that, and since you're not going to be frantically tweaking a quantizer, that placement should be fine. Then to substitute for Maths (saving panel space, y'know), there's a Befaco Rampage, which is their take on a complex Dual Slope Generator (see the Serge modules to check out the original). Then we're into the audio end with the Plaits, paired up with a Joranalogue FLD6 wavefolder. A pair of After Later VCAs, built on the same topology as the Mutable Veils VCAs, follows, and then a Happy Nerding MMM. The MMM is a dual state-variable, with LP/BP/HP outputs on both -12 dB filters...so if you feel the need to crack plaster with BASS, you can series the lowpass sections for -24 dB slopes. More VCAs follow, to control either a single or dual output from the MMM. To get things into stereo, I put in a Doepfer A-138s 4-in stereo mixer, and then the final bit is a Happy Nerding FX Aid XL for your stereo processing.

But like I and others have said/will say, don't build this in an 84 hp skiff. You WILL want to add onto it, and having to include a second skiff in that expansion's price will just make things (more) expensive, when you can drop $335 on a Mantis and be done with it.

Thread: used parts

Patch ideas please -I am basically looking for something thats not mine, as Im fairly new to the modularness, and have been basically inventing stuff as I go. Id like to see what others come up with that I can work from.
Also, Id like another module, something that would give me percussion, maybe a clock tool or something else thats less than bank.

Joebot

"I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing, and I hope some day to be in a position to do even less." -D Grey.

Buzzing, hm? That would localize the issue to the AC-DC conversion, and it sounds like a component failed in that 12V wallwart...which isn't too surprising, since the requirement for 15V is based on a step-down that translates that to the various DC busses and since wallwarts are often horrid little pieces of cheapo crap. But if you power it with 12V, you're pushing the DC-DC converters in the synth's power supply really hard, as that's not the voltage the P/S is expecting. The result is that even if you specced the build for the power capacity of that Palette 62 and had everything added up correctly, the 12V wart is lowering the current available, which also appears to be playing a part here. Betcha if you put that 12V wart on a scope now, you'll see quite a bit of AC getting past the rectification.

Things like this are why bunches of us make a point of saying to NOT overrun the DC specs...which includes the external wallwart needed for the DC busses. Always spec your available current at at least 3/4ths of what the manufacturer says is the maximum current draw to avoid the ugly surprise of inrush currents popping the fuse (and ONLY the fuse...if you're lucky!) or causing other trouble. And that also goes for the Intellijel's onboard DC-DC conversion; if the specs for the Palette 62 says it wants to see a 40 watt wart, put a 60 watt one on it instead. Since the Palette 62 doesn't need the extra 20 watts, what that'll do is to let the bigger wallwart loaf along at 2/3rd's of the maximum draw at the DC end. And loafing P/Ss is what you want, as that reduces the component heat, which makes the wallwart happy and far less susceptible to kicking off due to a current overdraw.

but if you've got a kid or grandkid that's fascinated with sound and electronic tinkering, these are >fantastic. Take it from someone who grew up with all sorts of electronic toys.
-- Lugia

Yeah, and as I mention, the manual that goes with it (which you can download for free) is probably the best practical set of guides to music generation electronics (and basic electronics in general) that I've ever seen in my 64 years.

In my opinion, perfect for a 10-12 year old.
--rw
-- Ravenware

I started with a set of these: https://lectron.info/ Got them for my 8th birthday, immediately went for the oscillator build. The set I had, also, was marketed by the ultra-evil defense contractor Raytheon, the same people who brought you the Patriot missile.