Hi Gabor,

Oh.....hoooo..... this is one of your nice special tracks. Lots of interesting and nice sounds, keeping the listener clustered to the speakers till the very last second! As always guided by a nice styled video :-)

The Theremin is an interesting device and you demonstrate that here very well, thanks a lot for sharing this video. Kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: He, he, and yet another nice shadow play :-)

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thank you!

I’m looking forward to having another jam posted soon!

I agree in the question of: did you learn and/or achieve any goals you set. Overall, I like to set a goal or two for a jam. I’ll work on noting that for the future.

Thanks again for asking, and Matt you enjoy the rest of your day.

Hi EroGumby,

Thanks a lot for sharing your reflections on your own goals, it's interesting to read and might help one to improve hers/his own process too, very nice!

Sounds like you improved on almost all goals, that's a great result!

I look forward in seeing/hearing your next goals and improvements :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Want to achieve to play live set
Dark freaky underground dubby techno (melodic) / triphop lounge funky / slowhous. and sometimes Some extreme DarkCore.
Want two make it work witout my computer ! But like two have the possibility for if i like to do that in the future.

Not Sure about the Usta. Maybey start whit someting smaler and less price

Ears actually handles turning input into gates I think (I've never used it for this purpose), so definitely check it out.

The nice thing about the TM is that it's repeating randomness. I don't know how the Maestro works but let's say you set your TM sequence length to 4, triggered way slower than your drums, like /64, you then feed the TM into a high impact input on your Bloom or Marbles... voila you have a song structure as the TM adjusts how your sequencer performs, changes it a few more times, and then returns it back to the beginning state, slowly shifting this pattern over time.

Thread: 4ms pod

?

Thanks troux,
I will have a listen to these filters
I love the idea of the drums influencing the rig.
I could perhaps do this with something like a Roland rt30k on the kickdrum and figure out how to convert that to a euro rack compatible gate signal that I can then patch into stuff like triggering envelopes or an lfo etc

Will using a TM give me a big difference in the results I get over selecting ‘random’ for the lfo on the maestro or raising the branches and mutations on the bloom? Sorry to ask what may be a ‘duh’ question

Thanks for this tumeniKnobs,
I love the sound of the Qpas from what I have heard online but it is double the cost of the Ripples and perhaps more importantly too big a filter for this size of case in my view with space wasted for it being stereo where as this is a setup as a mono synth all the way until the audio path (or the mix of any combination of my four oscillators paths) hit the mimeophon and finally come out in stereo into the XOH.
I already have two analogue oscillators in the minibrute so was looking for a contrast in both of the ones I chose.
I will watch some you tube vids on the black wavetable.
I also looked at rings but thought it was way too ‘pretty’ sounding. Some of the noise engineering oscillators were too dirty for me and the Basimilus sounded a bit more middle ground. I know it is a drum synth but it pitches nicely too and the fold etc sound really cool to my ears to go with some of the brighter sounds from Plaits.
Do you have any great steers on utilities or modulation I am needing. I know I don’t have Maths here and am perhaps light on function generation but both my oscillators sort of make their own envelopes if needed and I have the mu stages and both a traditional ASDR and AD that I can use in the Minibrute 2s.

Some quick thoughts:

1) Not being super familiar with either, I'd probably pick Marbles over Bloom, especially since you want something to play along to and it's got some nice rhythmic features built in.
2) I'd maybe add a TM, even 2HP's version, to get a little more repeated random.
3) Filter wise I'd suggest a Serge VCFS or something like a Morgasmatron if you want character and grit.
4) I'd replace the Rosie with an ALM HPO.
5) I'm not sure you need a Stages, a PNW, and a Maestro. I'd pick 2 to start.
6) Dream combo: add an input here and an envelope follower (MI Ears might do the trick) and have part of your drum rig influence the synth, would be super fun.

HI All and Lugia :)

Quick update on the build

So far the build looks like this and as per Lugia's suggestions I have added the temps utils. To keep the costs down I have gone for the Michigan Synth works version instead of the After Later Audio version. I have also bought Maths instead of the Quadrax + expander simply to keep costs down and the Es-8 is in the case now as well. It's been an expensive month.

Unfortunately the cre8audio models didn't play well with the tip top bus boards and both burnt out as soon as I plugged them in correctly I might add. According to Cre8Audio, they agreed I inserted the modules correctly and have suggested the following reasons for why their modules malfunctioned:

1) the power inverter on that buss board is constantly putting out more than +5V on the +5V rail.
2) there was a momentary power surge of greater than +5V on the +5V rail of that buss board.
3) something momentarily caused a short across the power rails, which could be something like a patch cable falling across the pins inside the case.
4) a static electricity event (possible but less likely)

I don't know enough about Eurorack to comment otherwise, but the documentation from tip top states the following which is the behaviour I see in my case with all three LED lights :

The Zeus Studio Bus includes a built-in time delay to allow
the power regulators to stabilize before they start providing power to your modules. When the Zeus board gets powered up the +5V will turn first, the +12V and -12V might take up to 0.5 second to light, this is normal.

Also the documentation notes that:

The Zeus Studio Bus is a powered bus board, as such, it takes only the necessary amount of current needed to power the modules connected to it and not more than that.

In any case, that's my experience of Cre8audio and I was anticipating at some point to have to deal with fried modules from what I've read on forums. I probably won't be buying anything from cre8audio again as its too much of a coincidence that 2 modules from the same manufacturer burned out ( I plugged them in separately on different occasions), whilst I've had rock solid behaviour from other modules and manufacturers. Suggesting that I may have dropped patch cables on my bus board was a bit of a low blow by them as well in my opinion.

Their response has got me doubting the tip top 5v rails though now as I don't know how to check that and when I asked Cre8audio, they didn't want to tell me. Is there a way I can learn how to do that as I want to learn this sort of stuff myself? Is it a complex or hard process to use a multimeter?

Would removing all modules that use the 5v rail from my system mean that my modules wouldn't be affected by any funny business on the 5v rail? Apologies if that sounds obvious and too noobie.

I assume this means that I take out the BIA which I was planning to do for the drum rack skiff in any case.

ModularGrid Rack

I'm a newb as well, and I'm sure other more experienced folks will have good advice, but I'll chime in. I have similar tone goals and I bought the Erica Black VCO 2 and the Make Noise QPAS to go with it (and I also have a Mimeophon which is super fun!). I've been really happy with that VCO/filter combo to get dirty, heavily modulated arps and sequences going. OK it's more traditional analog, but you might like Erica's Black Wavetable VCO. To me Erica's stuff really get's to that gritty place I love.
I combined it with Plaits - it's super versatile and really shines when you modulate the Timbre and Morph.

I'll also add that I have Ripples, and compared to QPAS it is really tame sounding (ymmv). It's a great filter, but it is exactly what they say it is - "a no-fuss, elegant choice". To me it's kinda like a vanilla utility filter and doesn't add a ton of character to the sound. I'm glad Plaits has more than enough character to compensate.

Ahh, that's some serious food for thought! Thanks for that! But to clarify, those are the modules that I already own. For now, I'll keep the scope, as it's super handy for me to look what certain things are doing. I'm not quite there's yet to intuitively know all that, so I believe it's a vital part in my learning. However, I may or may not get rid of the buffered mult at some point, if I don't really need it, since there's a small buffered mult in the Fusion VCF. But that's not pressing, as I think, I've got most of the functionality of the Noise Tools covered in other modules. I was also thinking about the 1U Midi, but opted for external Midi to CV with the Keystep and will probably upgrade it to the Keystep Pro, which should have me covered and will work with or without a DAW.

But you're absolutely right about the missing mixer. I somehow started with the DAW focused idea of just running everything into the ES-9 and multitrack it, to mix it further in the DAW, which makes me very dependent on a computer and also limits the flexibility drastically. The FX send/return sounds like a good idea, however, I'm wondering if its worth it, since I could save 6 out of 12 HP if I use the endorphin.es stereo mixer instead.

The VC Logics sounds really fun, definitely looking into that!

Also, I kept all the Fusion stuff in the same row, because I only put it in the case for convenience and will eventually put it back in it's own case, when it's time to start another row. I just tried to tie up some lose ends in that row, so it would fit in one case for the moment.

So I may ditch the Grand Terminal for now and go with a smaller mixer and maybe the FX Aid XL or Milky Way for some effects, which would leave enough HP for another Filter, as I still feel that the one Fusion VCF isn't enough.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated! (Don't mind the unstructured order of the modules)

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

After reflecting on the last really amazing advice I was given, especially by Jim H, I have started again to design my first rack that I am going to be taking the plunge on after pay day and really tried to reflect on what I am trying to make. Rhythmic melodies with a harsher digital, heavily modulated and slightly 'dirty' but not over the top distorted vibe. Not looking for drones or ambient type stuff. Want to make digital melodic parts that set a groove and inspire me sit down at my drum kit to play along.

I have a Minibrute 2s to pair with this adding another sequencer, two more lfo's etc etc and also an MPC Live 2 with 8 fully assignable CV outs that each can have their own sequencer track to use as sequenced gates etc

Will this work for what I want or am I missing fundamentally important stuff?

Any advice would be appreciated

hahaha

for all the old hands yes - but I think it's still a good idea to warn the newbies - give 'em a chance to run!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Well Jim, anyone who's posting here might already be slipping lol

I hear you Jim but OP seems pretty good with VCV and you can always throw it in a Pod down the line.
-- troux

yeah I think vcv as an intro to modular is a great thing and that great things can be done with it!

I started with modular pre-vcvrack though! and sit in front of a computer all day!

and there's the start of the slippery slope - I'll just throw this module in it's own case - and this one - and this one!!!

hahahahaha!!!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

NP!

thanks!

I hear you Jim but OP seems pretty good with VCV and you can always throw it in a Pod down the line.

+1 on that!

an ES9 will take up a fair bit of real estate in the small rack, though!

whilst I think VCVrack is a great piece of software and really useful as a learning/exploration/travel tool - I absolutely hate using it!

I agree with Sweelinck 100%. That’s sound advice.

NP

I hear you!

but it's possible to "keep the budget down" whilst thinking longer term too... by buying modules slowly - 1 a month or less (after the first few) and buying a large enough case to begin with and sticking to it!!! - it's your journey - remember it does not have to be a race!

otherwise it can be a slippery slope:

I started out with a smaller case (144hp) and within 6 months had bought a second (mantis this time) case, because I didn't have enough space for Maths

If I had been able to buy a mantis as my first case I would have (they started shipping during those 6 months) - and I suspect very strongly I may have been able to stop when I'd filled it... mainly as I may never have discovered synth DIY or video synthesis* (see instagram.com/jimhowell1970 for examples!)

3 years on I have 5 cases (1200hp ish), almost full and a 6th case ready to be built (just need screws and bolts - but the DIY store is closed!)

Here's another track featuring the new APC Theremin by Alizon Devices. To celebrate my 50th subscriber. Just kidding. ;)
Basic patch info in the video description.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Please remove DELETE from key commands!

All too often I will be trying to delete some text in the search field, but inexplicably it starts deleting modules when I do so. Please remove the DELETE key command, or add some sort of pop-up or key combo to module deletion. Thanks!

what do you want to achieve with the modular, in addition to that?

what sort of music do you make? and what do you want to make in the future?

do you want to sequence from the DAW - via midi or cv, or play via the midi keyboard, or what? - only you can tell us!!!

Thanks troux! :)
I really like the idea of getting the ES-9, having a hybrid system would definitely give me the biggest capability right now, and let me explore what I would really want in the physical setup next.

And thanks for the input Jim!
I definitely see this as a jumping off point for another case some point in the future haha. I know that I enjoy the workflow of modular from playing around in VCV rack so I'm hopefully not expecting to run into dissatisfaction or abandonment. I feel like I have a good idea of what I'm getting, but I definitely agree that I'm lacking in utility modules. I was thinking that a better play might be to replace ears with links or something like that, but I'd defer to your input. Ultimately I'd love to double the size of the rack, and would also love to get the full size of the Mutable Instruments modules, but just trying to keep the budget down a bit for now, and hoping to sell/trade up as I go along. Do you have any recommendations on the best utility modules to start with?

why???

maybe is this an example of how to go about designing modular synthesizers "arse about face" - overly influenced by you tube and instagram "influencers" and jumping on the bandwagon without any actual in depth research

First I would remove the DFAM from the rack to recover 60HP!
And I would choose a good Quad Vca: not only for attenuation...
Then it depends on the music or sounds you want to produce.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

no

cables and jack sockets generally work with signal and ground

you'll send the hot signal to ground and the ground signal to where you are wanting the actual signal - which may or may not cause damage to your modules - you are free to try it at your own convenience!

if you want to reverse polarity use an inverter or polarizer module - this will take the signal and reverse the polarity

+1 on this is unworkable and probably horrible to play - due to ergonomics - unless you have tiny fingers!

start with a blank sheet - decide what modules you want (and which modules you need to get them to work properly - hint - if modulation sources and utilities take up less than 50% of the rack then you need more of them - and for generative music maybe even more) and then find the right case - which may be slightly more expensive in the short term, but will save you money in the long term - remember it's a journey not a race!

as people have already said almost all these instagram/youtube influencers with tiny cases are taking modules from their actual rack to demo specific things - and the resulting racks are almost always one/two trick ponies

output modules are another point of contention - you almost definitely don't need one - unless you need balanced outs - if you need it for headphones there are smaller modules that will do the job - alm hpo

First off, nice track, thanks for sharing!

Secondly, if you're committed to this smaller rack size my suggestion would be to get an ES-9 next and stop there for a couple weeks or so. You're good with VCV Rack and VCV Rack + a Rings + an analog filter will go a long way. From there you'll get a good sense of what you need next and how to integrate all the utilities Jim mentioned (even if they're virtual).

Thanks for your reply farkas!
I'm aiming for a sort of ambient sound, something close to ann annie, or state azure (definitely not going to get close to his sound with this setup though haha). This was something I put together in vcv rack a while back:

I guess this kind of style is what I'd like to get close to, but with capability to branch out a bit.
That's a great point about limiting myself with on the fly tweakability. My thinking behind adding all those in was trying to get the most flexible utility capability out of the small set up, and allowing me the most variety between patches. In vcv I really enjoy spending a lot of time setting up my patch and getting it just so and then letting it do its thing, so I feel like I might be okay with the loss of on the fly tweakability. But not sure how that'll translate to real life in this setup.
Thanks again, really appreciate the feedback! :)

you appear to have started out with a case and then crammed functionality in

lots of people do this - it seems like a way of limiting costs - but really it just leads to either dissatisfaction and abandonment or another case very quickly - once the owner realises that modules are not VSTs - but lots of people also have no idea how small an actual eurorack modules is - they really are quite small - and are shocked when they actually get modules

however, this is, in my opinion, the exact opposite of how to put together a modular

there are for example almost no utility modules! - a token dual vca

a significantly better way is to find the modules you want, work out what modules you need to support them and then get a case that will house all those modules, with some space left over for future growth and then buy modules slowly - so that you get a chance to learn them in depth before adding more modules that you need to learn in order to use them properly

my advice = double the size of the rack, swap to full size versions of the MI clones you have in there and add more utilities

expect 50% of the rack to be taken up with modulation sources and utility modules - & imo this should be mostly utilities - you can do a whole lot more with fewer modulation sources and more utilities than with more modulation sources and fewer utilities

USB from the Odio goes into the camera connector kit for iPad so that the in/outputs can be used. MPC One is used as clock/trigger for eurorack, Grandmother is just to play keys and sample the output. Creating sounds/loops is the main goal.

While thinking of it...I think a VCA could be worthwhile to look for. Speaking in metafor: I have the tools to create/sculpt/clay something but do seem to miss the water

A couple thoughts here: First, what kind of music are you hoping to make with this?
Second, you mentioned the "fun factor," which is my highest priority with my rack/music, and always what I encourage above all else. With the collection of modules you have here, do they all have the fun factor? I love Disting and Pam's, but they are not what I would consider fun modules. If you add uO_C to those two, you are REALLY getting away from on-the-fly tweakability due to the menu-driven set and forget nature of these modules. Is that the direction you want to go?
I have a few things that I would probably change about this for my personal tastes and goals, but I'll wait to recommend anything until you respond.
Have fun and good luck!

What about Pico DSP ? I could also use a smaller out instead of the Ooots and shave some HP.

I own both and the algorithms on the FX Aid are waaaaay better than the ones on the Pico DSP. I think you should use the Zoia and save some HPs.
I also have an Ooots and while I really like it as an output module you could definitely use that extra space better,

I read some posts somewhere talking about how difficult it was to work with some of the more smaller versions of Plaits so thought I would make an exception and just use regular Plaits. I'd be interested to hear others experiences with the other compact Plaits clones...

I own a 8 HPs one and the ergonomics are not that bad but YMMV.

As far as Clouds go, I really wanted the Microcell (Im assuming you know it has three different Clouds firmwares which kinda makes an amazing module)

Switching firmware on Clouds is easy enough, and, again, you may definitely benefit from squeezing some more functionality in that space.

That said, I agree with everyone else in saying that you will be very limited with this setup. If you really (really) want to do this within the 42 HPs limit I'd recommend you to at least get a Marbles instead of the Turing Machine.

Odio has 1 in/out pair, each. That would serve the phone to work either as a sound source or fx processor or a recorder. Pick one.
Where is the USB from the Odio going? Where does the MPC come in? How do you work with the MIDI clock coming from the MPC? How do you actually use the modulation from the MPC in your rack? Where is it all being mixed/coming together, where recorded?
You have multiple sound sources but without the necessary utilities and plumbing it's going to be a disparate collection of gear rather than a workable instrument, as it appears to me.

You are very welcome! I love putting these together! Thanks for chipping in!

I’m using the Audio Damage Odio for that. It brings up the volume to Eurorack level so audio could be passed through and send back for effects, could be recorded and/or the iOS synths could be used to be processed by the external gear. If I want to sync it to tempo I have several options for that, most logical would be the MPC as masterclock through midi and/or CV/Gate by creating a separate track to send a pulse.

Having looked at several VCA’s I’m in doubt.....yes I definitely see some advantages on expanding with such a module, but my current setup already has quite a lot of attenuation possibilities. So an extra VCA could be added later on, it’s not necessary at this specific moment. Rings seems to be fun although I question myself if I’m going to use it actively....also got a resonator app within miRack and another separate plugin. Although I expect the physical Rings module would sound better, the characteristic is already there. Peaks seems to be fun for its diverse functions, envelope, lfo, small sequencer etc. Have also been thinking of an extra oscillator but also think I got that covered too.

Moog Grandmother (2 oscillators, a 3th when using the LFO)
Moog DFAM (2 oscillators)
Mutable Instruments Braids (1 more exotic oscillator)
Mutable Instruments Tides (1 “limited” wavetable oscillator)
iPad with a lot of sources for sound.

How do you interface your phone and MPC with the modular?

At the moment I have a minimal setup (and would like to keep it that way 😉). My gear outside of the Doepfer Eurorack case consists of:

• Moog Grandmother (I see/use this as different modules and use it as keyboard controller)
  • Akai MPC One (lots of CV options, still exploring this one)
  • iPad (with LOTS of synths, drumcomputers and effects)

My 2 x 84 HP Doepfer rack has:

• Mutable Instruments Tides (for modulation stuff and as oscillator)
  • Mutable Instruments Braids (different digital oscillator stuff)
  • Ornament & Crime (with Hemisphere) (for modulation, short sequences etc.)
  • Erica Polivoks filter (nice dirty filter with character)
  • Malekko Dual Borg (an even more dirty filter, brilliant for its sweet spots)
  • AJH Synth ringmodulator, mixer, sub (a warm sounding ringmodulator, can also add a nice sub and overdrive)
  • Audio Damage Odio (to bring the iPad effects and synths into my Eurorack)
  • Moog DFAM (great and fun tool!)
  • Jack Plugg Typhoon (just received this one, pretty cool)

Right now I have about 8HP left, in the worst case scenario I could remove the DFAM and put it in its original case (I guess I will eventually do that). At the moment I have about € 300,00 to spend and am in search for a new module. I’m not using the Eurorack to sequence complete tracks, it’s meant to be my tiny soundlab where I sample the sounds from and eventually use them in my MPC. This could be drums, leads or even some soundscapes and pads.
The reason I’m asking for some advice is that I don’t want to end up with a lot of overlap. I had seen a Malekko Voltage block, but I can also use the MPC One to sequence and modulate stuff, I could invest in a multiFX but also have that iPad that has quite some nice FX onboard like the plugins from Eventide. Most preferably a module that could be used in several ways...some things that came to my mind were:

• Mutable Instruments Peaks (with or without the Dead Man’s Catch Firmware)
  • Mutable Instruments Rings
  • Intellijel Quad VCA

Also had a look at the Intellijel Plonk because of the physical modelling aspect but after reading a bit I think I pass on this one....

But.....I’m open for suggestions....goal is to be able to get the most possible variaties of sound out of that small case. Truly hope you guys can help me out on this 🤞

this user has left ModularGrid

@Greenleo
Thank you for this compilation.

Another nice one @EroGumby, let's see you hit 30 minutes next!

I was wondering if a patch cable is wired tip-to-ring and ring-to-tip, would it reverse the polarity ?
Or is there a posibility of electronic malfunctioning?

thanks!

Ha!
I hadn't paid attention to the date...
-- jihel

Just a heads up, I did get your track added. Thanks so much for getting involved!

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback and the question! It is a great question all up for sure. :)
Here are two samples I played through on Sunday:

Here are things I have improved on.
1) Getting the sounds to change up a bit while using the switching
2) I learned I need to tune the drums and patterns so it can work better.
I didn't quite make my goal there, but I learned some things and have a few new ideas to try! So i'll call that a success .
3) Creating parts - Still much work to do here, but being able to change up the drums and such will also play a part in that. I do feel like I am starting to get parts to emerge and that is super cool for me personally as I have not really accomplished that yet in most of my work.
4) Managing the effects: Yeah, getting better at that for sure - part of the issues is learning how sensitive the controller is with the BlueBox.

If I were to sum up my learnings i'd say:
1) Fun progress on starting to get sounds that can evolve
2) The concept of switching up the drums can work, I need to tune the patterns and the choices
3) I'm getting better with the effects and morphing the sounds.

Great question and thanks for asking it helped me reflect on progress.
Much appreciated!

Brett

>

Hi EroGumby,

Wow you set some tough targets/goals for yourself during this jam. Now, knowing what the goals were you set for yourself, it would be interesting to know how many of them were accomplished? :-)

Good work, thanks a lot for sharing and kind regards, Garfield.