An improvised patching session, droning and modulating the Behringer Model D.

They both look cool. I like that the Erica is expandable. I also went and looked at the logic modules. I have the Kinks. I accidentally put Links in the rack. Thanks again for the help.

Hey guys...

How about we remove the ALL of down votes from other users that you've never had an actual sales transaction with ok?

The rating system is not here to settle forum wars.

@kaskonauta, @Kel_, @Lugia, etc.

this user has left ModularGrid

Nice Garfield,

How are you liking the Erica Synths Drum sequencer? Right now, with my Varigate 4+, Quadrax, Kermit/Batumi LFOs, and Pamela New Workout, I can get by on sequencing and use Korg SQ-1 for drum techno patterns. The 0-ctrl is great for melodic pitch sequencer. I guess I wait to next year on the new case and see what sequencers come up. I love drums and bass modules so the WMD Metron paired with Vector would be the best modular sequencer combo that I can tell right now on the market unless you want tracker stuff in Nerdseq or go Eloquencer route.

You too @GarfieldModular!

Hi Sacguy71,

Yeah... new case... nice... I bought early this year a large new case but it's getting full already :-( It's not full yet but from a planning point of view it was very fast full :-)

Sequencers... at the moment I had enough of the Endorphin.es - Ground Control. I finally managed to visit my local dealer, more than a half year ago since the Covid-19 story started... But I heard from them (and now just seen on their website too) that the Ground Control has been postponed yet again... now till mid February 2021... so I gave up on Ground Control to be honest.

I bought a Erica Synths - Drum Sequencer for my drum & percussion and I hope to have time in the weekend to play around with it. Then I am going to save money and I think for the voices I am going for the Five12 - Vector + Jack Expander but let's see perhaps indeed if the Erica Synths - Black Sequencer impresses me, I might go for that one instead.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Sequential switch is cool since can work like a 1 to 4 step sequencer or more. Erica Synths and ALM Busy Circuits Boss Bow Two make nice ones that have lot of features.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your feedback on the Metropolis. I have that same kind of experience regarding sequencers that it kind of "must do everything" for me, most sequencers don't though ;-)

Now that would be something good and nice to wait for indeed, * if * Intellijel would be working on a version 2 of Metropolis! Let's hope so.

Have a good weekend and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I hadn't considered a sequential switch. Thanks for that advice. I'll go down the YouTube wormhole on them.

I like the Befaco HexVCA and Intellijel Quad VCA thus far in my studio- that gives me 10 VCA for my two racks and so far have not run out :-)

Now the VCA8 from Erogeneous Tones and 4ms VCA Matrix would be nice to add when I get a new larger case for 12 more VCA with routing and CV mixing type features.

Thanks Garfield,

Yeah, I am saving up for a Doepfer Monster 14u case as well as MDLR 14U portable case that way I have 500+ HP free space and won't run out so fast next time around :-)

Anyways, I am waiting for them to come back in stock at stores. Not sure on what sequencer and mixer to get for my central modular brain as I want a fun playable hands on sequencer and mixer that excels at percussion and melodic sequencing but does not feel like programming a computer. I wait for the Endorphin.es Ground Control and Erica Synths Black Sequencer to arrive next year and then decide.

For distortion, I use compression in my external mixer plus filter setting and logic/LFO random setting on Pamela New Workout.

... I need more VCAs.

Thanks @GarfieldModular, glad you enjoyed it. As to the Metropolis, I've got some mixed feelings and think I may be turning into something of a sequencer snob... I want it to do everything but that's just not possible. That said, it's got some nice modulation capabilities, it's * very * easy to be musical with it, and it's good for both uptempo tunes and ambient stuff. I'd definitely buy it again, but I'm also curious if Intellijel might be working on a v2 given that the line is (I think) 8 years old at this point. And if so I hope they add another trigger sequencer to it!!

Hi Steve,

Yeah, that's a proper track and some proper music :-)

Tirana II, of course is that a sequencer, I love that module! I am actually a bit of jealous about your Metropolis, how is the module, do you like it? Is it worth the investment?

Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Gabor,

Now that's something totally different :-) ! Everything done by modular or did you borrowed your neighbour's guitar? ;-)

Cool video by the way, goes nice along your track. Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

He, he, you got some nice and spooky sounds in there :-) Ha, ha, and near the end you got a lot of distortion in it!

I noticed 2 HP free space, time for a new case ;-)

Have fun with your modular system and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Studio460,

That are lovely pictures and you got yourself a nice studio :-) Especially the last picture I love to look at that one, nice view! :-D

What's the best speech module you have? I am looking for a "good" speech module, haven't found so far one that satisfies. I have the Plaits, it's fun but it's very meagre if it comes to speech.

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Hi Zuggamasta,

Oh yes, you got a nice sound there :-) With a lot of reverb... what effects-"machine" are you using here?

Have fun and kind regards, Garfield.

Perhaps you might want to add a sequential switch and logic module like Plog or Kinks?

This is my very first Eurorack project and although it probably sounds insane, I'd like to to build a fairly accurate clone based on the Moog System 55 using mostly Behringer modules & whatever else needed to obtain as a substitute for a few mystery modules that Moog lists in their nomenclature but didn't clearly translate to Behringer terminology. I am hoping somebody would be willing to share some of this knowledge of which correct modules can be used in place of these following units:

Moog 993 "Trigger & Envelopes Voltages Panel" (This one, I haven't a bloody clue what would substitute here)
Moog "Console Panel #2" (I'm wondering if the Behringer CP35 is the substitute here)
Moog "Console Panel #3" (I'm guessing that the Behringer CP3A-M is the substitute in this case)
Moog "Console Panel #8" (I haven't a bloody clue on this one either)

When you consider the actual Moog System 55's are in very limited production of 55 worldwide if at all, for a cost of $35,000 usd. In view of this, a mere $4k is a drop in the bucket if the Behringer clone system works reasonably close. Sounds too good to be true, eh. Anyway, your feedback, comments or advice will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Rockasaurus

ModularGrid Rack

I'm a modular noob and looking to fill this 52hp. (I already own the stuff in it.)

Other outboard gear: Novation BassStation 2, Erica Bassline DB-01, Roland TR8-S, Novation Launchkey 25 & Ableton Live.

I'm mainly using the TR8-S for drum tracks and playing the synths over top.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Hello, I have been working on this setup for a long while. I still have some doubts related to pamela new workout and maths. I think I need a solid cv modulation, and I love the mimeophone as well as qpas. I also wanted some vca to modulate as well to set some feedback loop experimentation. And I have my audio interface to use as sound source whatever it came across. The question is. Do you think I could replace maths for another thing. Open to suggestions as well idea. Thank in advance

Jim's advice is solid. Disting EX and fx aid would give you a lot of options along with full sized Marbles. I only have one modular sequencer in one of my two 6U racks and use it but also use my Quadrax function generator similar to Marbles along with Pamela's New Workout and Doepfer sequential switch a great deal for amazing self generative type patterns in my patches.

I bought a module from @scotchedegg

Quick shipping, safe packaging and great communication - everything is fine!

Interesting. Maybe you got a negative rating by a user that has since deleted their account (I think this should be seen as a bug). Or maybe ghosts hate you.

drop voltage block - I'd also drop the mimetic digitalis and probably the pittsburgh mixer (this i would want to replace eventually (but a cascading vca will do to start)
go back to full size marbles
add an fx aid xl
consider replacing the quad vca with veils - saves 2hp
leave the remaining space empty

i think you should go slowly - and stop overthinking planning - it will probably change anyway as you start to patch

get one of the sequencers, plaits or LIP, maths, one of the vcas, one of the filters and maybe the disting and kinks

work your way through the maths illustrated manual a few times and try out a few functions of the disting - if there is one particular function you like consider buying a module to replace it

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi,

I have found out today that I have one "Thumb down" which is weird since I have no idea where it comes from and all my trades were ok. No complaints. While there is information that places positive feedback, why there is no information that places a negative one? This feels real, not ok since I have no idea what happened.

If you are ok with faders I really like this module:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/michigan-synth-works-f8r-

Hi,

so I added some things and also made a bigger case wich make much more sense,

what do you think about this?

ModularGrid Rack

You should have no prob syncing pam to the yarns, mine is clocked with my hermod gate 8 output but i have Spent some Time finding the right ppqn setting on the pam ,now it.s rock stable and doesn’t even need a reset or start has it detects the clock immediately from hermod.

also try these on critical shafts, and add some space between ur 2hp modules

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X9JZJGF/

These are another solution...a bit easier to scatter around a build: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-u-081

Yeah, I think that's a good solution for your problem. The Makrow is really handy.

Hey thanks- this could be perfect

Future Sound Systems Makrow

I love 2hp modules- simple functions, work great, inexpensive. The problem is, they are hard to perform with live. I'm looking for a module with big or at least medium knobs that can send CV to basically play the 2hp modules. Specifically, to change the rate on my 2hp clock divider. Passive attenuator modules dont send CV the right way. Looking for a module that basically just sends CV at levels controllable by a playable knob. Anybody know of one?

Ha, I think something similar happened to my bank account when I bought them 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks, @troux ! You’re right, I usually go only drone-ish :)

(on a side note: my user name is
aphew_goodman - I may not have the ‘x’ in me, you know ;) )

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

I was probably just blinded by all of your Serge modules. :)

I've had the Metropolis for awhile and the Stepper Acid for a month or two, both solid sequencers, you may be thinking of my other rack (designed atm for ambient) which is currently "No Sequencer" unless you count a Tirana II. Gated slew is a big plus for Acid, I'd also recommend to get as many trigger sequencers as you can, you will find you want a lot of em... for the single voice patch above I used every out on the PNW and the Algorhythm both! Hopefully Crow will help there a bit once I finally plug it in here...

I would get a sequential switch or matrix mixer which are great for ambient.

Yeah, I feel like for acid explorations I'm going to need a dedicated gated slew. Maths and Disting aren't quite getting me what I want.
Did you recently add the Stepper Acid and Metropolis? I can't remember seeing those in your rack before.

Thanks @farkas! I prefer Maths envelopes (great for wiggling) to the Time Warp, but TW does a ton for 4HP (the inversion option is really nice in particular) and it's a great backup when I'm working on a multi-voice patch. I can't speak to the AJH but if you're looking for flexibility over getting the exact right envelope or curve you want I think TW is a good choice, especially if you're space constrained.

Ah, this takes me back to my clubbing days. Great stuff as always! Those hi-hats sound good.
How do you like the WMD Time Warp? I'm probably going to get the AJH S+H/Slew, but I've been eyeballing the Time Warp too.

I would get rid of the Varigate 4+ and keep the Mimetic Digitalis sequencer and add a good sequential switch or matrix mixer. That would give you lots of pattern generation and variety. I added a sequential switch recently to my setup and it adds spice. If I had more space, I'd add a matrix mixer. Let's you mix CV and route various ways. Boss Bow Two is a cool switch with tricks that play well with Pam. Erica Synths also makes a neat sequential switch.

Hi guys! I'm building a rack dedicate to ambient / relaxing /chill music. The main idea is to have precise control of the sound sources (thanks to an external sequencer going into Mutant Brain) but at same time, when needed, I'ld like to be able to throw in an evolving semi random pattern to an oscillator / effect in terms of v/oct or simply modulation (this is where marbles comes into place). A mandatory requirement is to have at least 2 or 3 effects unit to make these lush and amabient-ish sounds.
Since the case i have is not that big (6U 88hp) compatc solutions will be appreciated.

This is my actual rack with the modules I already have:
alt text

My thoughts:
1) I will probably buy a Pamela's New Workout to fill the first row to free Stages from LFOs duties and to add more modulation sources in general
2) I don't have a droning analog oscillator in the build. I would love to have one. Any compact suggestion? I was thinking about a ts-l.
3) I will probebly sell my Monsoon when the new clouds will be announced.
4) I have just one filter (Ripples). I was thinking about buying a stereo filter (q-pass??? but it's huge :'()

Jim, thanks.

Yes you have a point there that there will be a little bit too much with sequencing,

I added one more voice now, dixie II and replaced the roti pola to a befaco st mix. Will consider of removing varigate and add something else, maybe a env generator or a proper mixer.. or maybe something else, what do you think? again, im very happy for all the help here.

ModularGrid Rack

Jim, thanks.

Yes you have a point there that there will be a little bit too much with sequencing,

Maybe I just had bad luck with contact them over their website, but not much response from them. I probably should pay them a visit one day after the COVID lockdown ends. They do get some unique modular gear that other shops don't have in stock, I give them that.