Had a great transaction with @Hinterlands313 - would certainly buy from again!

this user has left ModularGrid

Thank you! :)

Yes since i am not making techno music i think i dont need more than the moog for now and maybe add some modulation in long term.
I mix synth music with electric piano, guitar and drums (often vinyl breaks chopped up) to make the use of the rack more specific.

I would like to use the erica mixer as preamp to amplify external sources aswell, like epiano. Possible?

How do i show the link?

Just paste the url.
E.g. https://www.m..ulargrid.net/e/racks/view/319038 will show

ModularGrid Rack

About your choices: the Moog covers a lot. Some additional modulation sources and VCA would be a benefit.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

this user has left ModularGrid

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_319038.jpg

How do i show the link?

Would love to hear opinions on this.
The moog is here, firat pressure points + braids and switch ordered aswell as case.

Did i forget anything? Photogene would serve as master clock?

How functional will the sequencer be?

These modules will (if at all!) come later: trigger man, bastl grandpa, 2nd pressure points, ring mod.

Is the tubiness of the erica mixer worth it? I really like a tube based mixer if it isnt just show

Yeah, the first batch were printed wrong so they were a bit cheaper :)

Need little help. If somebody who have this filter can mesure the exact depth of the module with the cable plugged, it will be great. I have one small skiff only 46 mm deep.
Thanks!

Futurit

A few things to think about:
1. Got a mixer that can host 2 ch of modular?
2 .What piece/s of gear need to interface with the modular?
3. Will any of the outboard stuff's audio go in (level adjust line --> modular --> line) ?
4. What needs to sync and by which means (midi, tap tempo clock, ...) Which box should be the master clock ?
5. Are there any Eurorack controllers to help your live performance?

Looks like there are two "In A"s on the front panel, shouldnt the right one be "In B"?

Nice rack

July 2416 update to my modular:

• HexInverter 909 Bass Drum and 909 Snare Drum have been removed (partly for panel space; partly for power consumption)
  • 3 x CGS / René Schmitz VCAs have been removed (un-removable 'thump' in at least 1 of them; output levels are too low from all 3. Replacing with VCAs from someone else / non-DIY)
  • the 2 x Serge USG's up above ARE DIY CGS / Serge USGs
  • the 2 x SSM2044 LPFs up above ARE, DIY
  • the 3 x basic VCO's above are Music From Outer Space VCOs (R.I.P. Ray. :( Thanks for everything! )
  • the Mutable Instruments Peaks and Branches modules will be here from my supplier tomorrow or Tuesday. I don't know exactly where in the cabinet, they'll be placed yet
  • the triple bi-directional router is a CGS / Serge DIY one and is non-functioning. There is a 2nd one that IS working, in another cabinet, below the one above.)
  • there is an 8 step CGS / Serge Programmer / Sequencer with the Moog 960 Sequencer Play / Stop / Skip switch for each step, for EACH direction, in the cabinet below
  • there is a Music From Outer Space Echo Rockit in the cabinet below

I still haven't moved any other 4U / Serge panel modules into the New Europeans modular, from The Deathlehem Machine modular. I don't know if I will be, as I may be moving AWAY from DIY modules, completely.

Looks pretty cool to me, I'm looking into a 32 as well!

Yeah, you are right as far as the funds are concerned but compared to the other systems I have put together on here this rack is more inexpensive. The other racks are $4k-$6k,

As far as what I expect - I really just want a rack that I can integrate into my live setup. My live setup has a Roland TR8, moog mother 32, make noise 0coast, korg minilogue, and the entire volca series. I want the rack to have many sound sculpting capabilities allowing me to add flavor to my live set that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to with my current gear. I play techno, electronic, and house music.

Hopefully that is a good explanation, if not, please let me know and I will try to elaborate.

Thank you for your input!

@HDvice and @manolah both good sellers. Would buy from them again!

Hi and welcome yebanat!
I would say if you can start out with a rack like that your funds cannot be all that limited ;-))
Looking good to me. Knowing what you expect it to do would help though.

Hello all,

Looking to build my first modular rack. Starting off small as funds are rather limited. Going with a one row, 84 hp case. Everything to the right of and including the MU Braids was in place of an atlantis module. Please let me know what you think as far as additional modules required to get started, whether I should omit the braids and everything to the right of it and pop the atlantis into there, should I omit certain modules as they are redundant, etc.?

I have a beatstep pro as my sequencer so I am covered on that front.

Any help or advice anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I've started to try and record some of my beginning noodlings. Mainly trying to figure things out, I'm hoping to pull some more song like structure into things once I've sussed my new modular out and use with my volca sample and Op1.

Perhaps mad, but I thought I'd start my buying a selection of things to help me find my sound and play around, I'm likely to trade or swaps things out, so please feel free to suggest stuff.

My core sound is to use granular synths and process live guitalele and melodica which I have been doing so far with a superege guitar pedal and delays. I'd like to try and tighten things up and modulate more stuff by using clouds and DLD in this fashion.
I have a mother 32 I'm mainly using for bass sounds, and I have a rings too for dulcima type tones.

Then for modulation I've got tempi (which I'm struggling to get the best from at the moment, though I've just ordered a grandpa which could now maybe create some more interesting rhythms). Maths, (which seems overkill for what I'm mainly using as two LFOs) and Frames (which I'm mainly using as an audio mixer, because I'm finding the keyframing just a little too nuts to control neatly).

Anyhow here's a few vids.

Thanks for sharing! It's definitely interesting to see multiples of maths in a system. I sure know I would like another!

I'm I the only one freaking out about this firmware? Seriously so awesome, I grabbed a second peaks. The betabyte function is crazy!

Quadra over Peaks/Disting? Less multifunctional == more focused.
Basimilus Iteritas may be a more appropriate choice for focus.

Actually, I really like the idea of swapping Peaks/Disting for Batumi/Samara based on mood/day of week.
Or swapping Erbe Verb with Batumi/Samara in either case. Still not sure what I'm doing with Ultra Random Analog. :-/

Buy: Samara, Teletype.
Sell Trigger Man (160), Cold Mac (160) and uVCA II (130)? Can't on muffwiggler, try modulargrid itself!

Peaks/Veils currently. Samara to be added. Could swap Peaks with O'Tool+ or Cold Mac.
Using Tangle Quartet in lieu of Veils frees up 4HP doesn't solve problems like: No Drums, not enough VCAs, or not enough Offset/Attenuation/Polarizing.

Could presumably sell O/A/x2, uVCA II, and Dual ADSR from current case to support this.

just now realizing this thread is here. good deals with @yufo and @sceledra

A word of thanks to @dombles for a nice deal and a fully functional Expanded Turing Machine.

Forgot to post a bit ago, but @yufo was awesome to deal with when buying the Erika Black Dual EG/LFO. Module was exactly as described, shipped super quick and packed like a champ. Definitely recommended!

Nano Rand || O/A/x2 || Links

Sell (~2000 total)

Move 208 / 450
Erbe Verb (20) / 440
Dual ADSR (14) / 190
Tempi (10) / 230
Trigger Man (8) / 150
Nano Rand (4) / 150
Disting mk3 (4) / 160
uVCA II (6) / 130
O/A/x2 (4) / 80
Morphing Terrarium? (14)
Optomix? (8)
Ripples? (8)
Keep White Whale/Earthsea!

Buy

Structure 360 ($900, ouuuuch)
Praga (20)
Teletype (18)
Second Peaks? (8)
Poti? (3)
Samara? (10)
O'Tool+? (8)
Monome Ansible? (6)

Veils/Kinks or Samara/uVCA II or Tangle Quartet/O'Tool+? If anything, Veils/Kinks and then can swap O'Tool+ for Cold Mac if desired. No Poti, Samara, or second Peaks in this version but seems worth it for the improved utilities. Still would like more attenuation though. :-/

No uScale or Elements but I'm cool with that I think. No room for Terrarium. Biggest issue is that we need more VCAs (though it would be nice to have another filter). But it's close to just right... Worth thinking about some more. Everything in one rack, consolidates a bit. Less portable but could keep the structure 208 case if I ever want to take the modular out somewhere. Might be able to go sans mixer with Praga in place.

Old 208-gen notes

From Oubliette this drops (in decreasing order of HP):
* Mother-32 (60)
* Dual ADSR (14)
* Cold Mac (8)
* uVCA II (6)
* White Whale or Earthsea (6)
* O/A/x2 (4)

Freeing up 98 HP to be replaced with (in decreasing order of HP):
* Mutable Instruments Elements (34) - $400 used
* Xaoc Devices Praga (20) - ~$500 new
* Monome Teletype (18) - $400 used
* Mutable Peaks (8) - $200 new
* O'Tool+ (8) - $325 new
* uScale (6) - $220 new
* Xaoc Poti Expander (3) - $45 new
* Malekko Mix 4 (3) - $110 new

Flaws

Still needs more attenuation and another filter would be nice. If we could fit the Xaoc Samara that would be great. If not, Tangle Quartet could do in a pinch. Optomix Rev 2 might be nice as well, allows sidechaining or acts as a Low Pass Gate, and could let us get away with swapping a buffered mult in for Mix4. That winds up with a nice case though more attenuation would sure af help.

Possibilities

The only thing this case lacks compared to Straylight is a good verb/erbe. Frames/Brainseed esque stuff is handled by Earthsea, non-granular cloudy magic is done with DLD, drums with Peaks, physical modeling through Elements, crazy clocking and sequencing options from Meadowphysics and Teletype, modulation galore from Batumi, Just Friends, and URA, endless Timbre exploration with Mangrove and Morphing Terrarium.

Worth?

Lose 2 HP overall and costs ... well, another 2200 more dollars. T_T Praga, Teletype, Elements, and O'Tool+ are the big pieces.

Assuming I get Teletype everything else can be done with the current case as is. Would be nice to have a uScale for quantizing, peaks for Drums or O'Tool+ for visualization but the rest certainly isn't necessary. Hell, I could swap Rings for Morphing Terrarium whenever I tire of wavetables. Praga is nice to make the rig more portable (no mixer) and make the mixing/muting more "playable" but even that definitely isn't a necessity.

That said, I could sell the O/A/x2, uVCA, Cold Mac, and Dual ADSR for 500 or so. Could get another 500 for the Mother. That brings it down to just an additional 1200 bucks. :-(

I'm finally adding a second row to my moog mother 32. Super excited, I'm hoping this will be a fairly powerful compact unit, but I'm new to this. I'd love to hear any tips, thoughts or suggestions with this setup. I'm open to change and I even have a few extra hp available!
Thanks in advance! Jon

-Mother 32
-WMD Spectrum vco
-WMD Ultrafold
-Intellejel Polaris vcf
Intellejel Dual ADSR
Malekko Varigate 4
Tiptop Audio uzeus power

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_317049.jpg

enjoy my live set from july's Volt Divers. thanks for listening if you get the chance.

Hypothetically could replace Earthsea/uVCA II with Veils. But no Earthsea for Rings? Hmm... :-/

I bought a Modcan Quad LFO from @raccoonboy. The transaction went very smoothly. The module was packaged carefully, no parts were missing!

Thread: My Ritack

Hello guys!
I'd like to ask You for an opinion about my rack. It's main and only purpose will be to modulate and transform sound from maximum four external sources.
Thanks a lot :)

Mhhh, random was not on my radar yet. Could be an interessting direction for experimentations. You mean something like a Wooglebug? LPG is abolutely new for me, i have to research what this is :-).

There are coming a few thoughts while i am staring out of the window instead of doing my daily job.
The Moog Mother is not really a part of my Modular. Mostly i use it just as a midi-interface, very seldom as an additional voice. So time will tell, if i will sell it in the future. With my intention to get rid of the Doepfer A-110-4 QZVCO i think i need a new VCO with a wide range of sounds (MI Braids, Erica Black Wavetable VCO, E350, Piston Honda, puhhhhhh, don´t know).

Another idea is to change the A-141-2 VCADSR with a MI Peaks. I thought, that with Maths and Peaks i have quite enough variations for modulation for the moment.

Ahh, and i found the XAOC Sewastopol, seams better as the Doepfer A-119 for integration of audio. But more expensive.

So many possibilities. Could someone choose for me, please? hahaha

Maybe a random, lpg, and a quantizer.

Hi,

i am another noob in Eurorack-Wonderland and have started this journey with a Moog Mother and some Modules, that i have bought the last weeks in a more chaotic way then well considered. I have a lot of fun learning and playing with my actual system (btw. the Bastl Knit Rider, Bastl Mixer and the MI Yarns are on the way, i will receive them in the next days):

ModularGrid Rack

Now i am too confused with all the possibilities to make a decision for the next modules. I know, you will say it depends in which direction i wanna go with my system. But thats the problem, it is not really clear :-)
Mostly i start my songs on guitar and than i arrange them in my DAW (Cubase) with the VSTi´s. Since i have the modular i recognize that the patches/sounds inspires me from the "other" side.

My first consideration was to have a better network between the DAW and the modular. Therefore i bought a used MI Yarns . Now i need something for connecting the Audio for processing and mhh, getting informations from it. Maybe something like the Doepfer A-119 (Audio in and Envelope follower).
Next idea was to add a different VCO (maybe a wavetable-VCO) to expand the sound-palette auf the Modular.
And at last an utility that expands the possibilities of the modules i have. But i dont know where to go. More ADSR? LFO? Attenuator? VCA?

It´s clear, nobody can tell me where i have to go. But i would be glad about every suggestions.
My budget for new modules at the moment is around 600 €.
I don´t know if it´s interessting what my musical influences are. But from a more "electronic" side of what i like, there are Bands/Projects like Legendary Pink Dots, Coil, Nurse With Wound, The Notwist..... ahhh, i guess that leads to nothing :-) I also like some Simon & Garfunkel Songs :-)

Thanks for your suggestions in advance and sorry for my rusty english.
Mumpitz

From Oubliette this drops (in decreasing order of HP):
* Mother-32 (60)
* Dual ADSR (14)
* Cold Mac (8)
* uVCA II (6)
* White Whale or Earthsea (6)
* O/A/x2 (4)

Freeing up 98 HP to be replaced with (in decreasing order of HP):
* Mutable Instruments Elements (34) - $400 used
* Xaoc Devices Praga (20) - ~$500 new
* Monome Teletype (18) - $400 used
* Mutable Peaks (8) - $200 new
* O'Tool+ (8) - $325 new
* uScale (6) - $220 new
* Xaoc Poti Expander (3) - $45 new
* Malekko Mix 4 (3) - $110 new

Notes

Flaws

Still needs more attenuation and another filter would be nice. If we could fit the Xaoc Samara that would be great. If not, Tangle Quartet could do in a pinch. Optomix Rev 2 might be nice as well, allows sidechaining or acts as a Low Pass Gate, and could let us get away with swapping a buffered mult in for Mix4. That winds up with a nice case though more attenuation would sure af help. Maybe swap uScale and Mix4 for Samara or Blinds?

Possibilities

The only thing this case lacks compared to Straylight is a good verb/erbe. Frames/Brainseed esque stuff is handled by Earthsea, non-granular cloudy magic is done with DLD, drums with Peaks, physical modeling through Elements, crazy clocking and sequencing options from Meadowphysics and Teletype, modulation galore from Batumi, Just Friends, and URA, endless Timbre exploration with Mangrove and Morphing Terrarium.

Worth?

Lose 2 HP overall and costs ... well, another 2200 more dollars. T_T Praga, Teletype, Elements, and O'Tool+ are the big pieces.

Assuming I get Teletype everything else can be done with the current case as is. Would be nice to have a uScale for quantizing, peaks for Drums or O'Tool+ for visualization but the rest certainly isn't necessary. Hell, I could swap Rings for Morphing Terrarium whenever I tire of wavetables. Praga is nice to make the rig more portable (no mixer) and make the mixing/muting more "playable" but even that definitely isn't a necessity.

That said, I could sell the O/A/x2, uVCA, Cold Mac, and Dual ADSR for 500 or so. Could get another 500 for the Mother. That brings it down to just an additional 1200 bucks. :-(

Thanks to @Slight79 @damir501 @nicdro who I bought Mutant Hot Glue, Mutant Bassdrum and Mutant Hihats from, respectively. All sent with tracking and arrived in good order.

Thread: Hard Sync

Hard sync in it's simplest terms: The phase of one oscillator is synchronized to the phase of another oscillator. The wave "resets" to zero every time it receives a pulse from another oscillator. At audio rates we perceive this resetting as harmonic content.

You'll recognize this synth sound from really bad early 00s "hardstyle" kind of like that famous track "zombie nation."

We're going to listen to just the saw output of the DPO. The first channel of DPO is prewired to sync to the second channel of DPO.

Push the black button under channel 1 twice until a little purple light that says "sync" is lit.

Ch. 1 of maths is configured as an LFO because the cycle button is lit. We plug it into the EXPO input of ch. 1 and
now the rising and falling of maths is controlling the pitch of the first oscillator.

Ch. 2 of DPO is the "root" or "tonic" note that we hear - it's the pitch that is constantly being emitted. Ch. 1 is now the control for Timbre in this patch.

Ch. 2 is resetting the phase of Ch. 1, so think of it as sort of superimposing itself onto Ch. 1.

Hard & Soft Sync explained:

We going to listen to just the Final output of the DPO. The final output of the DPO takes the second oscillator and feeds it through what is known as a waveshaper. Our closest relation to waveshaping outside of the modular environment would be distortion/overdrive/fuzz. A waveshaper does exactly what it sounds like it does: it reshapes the wave from a simple waveform into a more complex shape.

On the DPO we have three controls over our wave shape:
1. FOLD: the number of folds the wave makes back onto itself. We percieve this as volume + distortion.
2. SHAPE: the shape the new waveform becomes. There are three little images next to the shape knob that show you what the incoming sine wave gets morphed into.
3. ANGLE: the angle the new waveform is slanted at.

Maths is configured as two LFOs in this patch. Ch. 1 is controlling the shape of the final output and Ch. 2 is controlling the angle of the final output.

DPO Final output (fast forward to 0:38):

Waveshaping explained:

A saw wave is fed into a filter which then goes into an amplifier. The saw wave is the pitch of the sound, the filter the timbre of the sound, and the amplifier the volume of the sound.

Both the timbre and volume are being controlled by Maths. Ch. 1 of maths when looping is making the filter open and close giving us the feeling that the sound is "going underwater" or "getting muffled."

Ch. 2 of maths when looping is making the volume of the sound open and close giving us the feeling that the sound is "fading in and out" or "pinging" based on the rise and fall settings.

Treat maths like two LFOs in this patch.

Subtractive synthesis explained:

Use Maths ch. 2 to adjust speed and envelope of FM voice. As the voltage rises and falls, the volume of DPO oscillator two adjusts accordingly. Changing the pitch of both oscillators causes timbral & harmonic shifts in the signal.

DPO Oscillator 1 is modulator

DPO Oscillator 2 is carrier

DPO is already hardwired so that Oscillator 1 is already patched into Oscillator 2 and vice versa.

FM explained:
http://www.innovativesynthesis.com/fm-synthesis-made-easy/

AM explained:
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/blog/simple-synthesis-part-9-amplitude-modulation/

DPO Explained:

Maths explained:

FM/AM explained:

I own both peaks and ripples. Peaks is an AMAZING module. Go for it.
https://github.com/timchurches/Mutated-Mutables/releases

Synthrotek case?
http://store.synthrotek.com/Water%5FProof%5F7U%5FPortable%5FEurorack%5FCase

Thread: FIELDSOUND

Kalimba!

The best BD module I've heard / owned so far; and by a longshot over it's later versions / incarnations. I like it more than Tiptop, Jomox and my drum machine kicks. It's thick, punchy and packs a lot of options from traditional to original without needing more than a trigger.

Drawback is lack of cv control but doesn't matter to me since I don't know of any kick module that sticks out in big mixes without going through a low pass gate. Unless patching a kick from scratch, a kick > LPG reigns over perceived loudness / energy at given levels. Hard to believe when soloed loud on nice speakers yet often apparent in mix.

I run it through a fast LPG like the one in Pittsburgh's Synthesizer Box, with a trigger in the envelope mod CV and Asteroid > LPG input.

Great deal at around $100 new since it's "outdated", if you can find stock.

Hi Wiggler ! Thanks for your answer !

...looking for a very cheap 6U case and uZEUS or that Source d’énergie seemed to be a good way not to spend too much

Sounds familiar to me. I built a 6Ux84 skiff from cardboard, inspired by this:
I went with a uZeus too. It's now powering over 20 modules with no problems. Watch the ma count though.

Yeah I guess I’ll use a computer (running Max 7/Pure data) because for now I don’t have enough money to buy a cool sequencer like René or others.

Excellent!

I was not able to find a drum module that had multiple triggers in order to use with grid, and more important, that had multiple outputs so I can process the sound of each instrument (with reverb, distortion..) individually. Last Braid’s firmware has drum sounds included so I think it’ll help.

That's a problem right there. If you want a conventional drum track you will need 3 individual modules to produce 3 note polyphonic percussion. (The idea of spending like a complete row on just "drums" seemed ridiculous to me). Erica has a new sampler that plays 2 samples at the same time out of a few dozen with an option to upload your own. Grids seems to make sense only with seperate modules though.

A voice in my noobs head told me that having 6.3mm jack for the line outputs would be better but ok I’m gonna get rid of that Outs module. Also for the VCA I planned to use RYO’s uptodist… Will this apply distortion on everything ?

Probably you will need 6.3 mm at some point. You can buy a Doepfer 3.5 - 6.3 cable or just make your own converter from a cigar box. Be sure to add a few bananas too ,you never know ;-)

Oh and also I’ve seen a lot of little racks using Maths to do all the utility stuff, should it replace my ADSR ?
Well Maths is a lot of things. So yes it could replace your env too but it's not an ADSR, just a rise and fall.
You might get puzzled by the multitude of features though. Your A-140 is a perfect start. When that gives you a yawn you may want to look at Make Noise Function which is the smaller brother of Maths. I got mine used for 100 EUR and it's a keeper . As for the attenuverter I would go for cheap used stuff and upgrade with experience.

Thank you for your help !
-- Denez

You're welcome. Ask away.

Hi Wiggler ! Thanks for your answer !

I don’t have anything yet but I guess I would be able to find a 230 to 15v power brick.. Is that impossible or too expansive ? As a beginner in modular I’m looking for a very cheap 6U case and uZEUS or that Source d’énergie seemed to be a good way not to spend too much money.

Yeah I guess I’ll use a computer (running Max 7/Pure data) because for now I don’t have enough money to buy a cool sequencer like René or others.

I was not able to find a drum module that had multiple triggers in order to use with grid, and more important, that had multiple outputs so I can process the sound of each instrument (with reverb, distortion..) individually. Last Braid’s firmware has drum sounds included so I think it’ll help.

A voice in my noobs head told me that having 6.3mm jack for the line outputs would be better but ok I’m gonna get rid of that Outs module. Also for the VCA I planned to use RYO’s uptodist… Will this apply distortion on everything ?

Oh and also I’ve seen a lot of little racks using Maths to do all the utility stuff, should it replace my ADSR ?

Thank you for your help !

@demyottens Doepfer LPFG received - very well packed and all working fine. Recommended!

Hi Denez.
Do you have power a brick or wall wart to drive that source d'energie?
Are you planning to interface with a computer or external gear?
Why did you pick a single hi-hat module rather than a generic drum module/rom player with more sounds/instruments?

Other than that, it looks very workable with those utilities sprinkled in. The Outs is optional IMHO, you can feed your monitors/headphones from the A-138. Get a vca instead. Oh and a attenuverter will be needed for adjusting the cv coming from your lfo and env.

cheers,
Ralf

@Slight79 FX6 received - very well packed and all working fine. Recommended :-)

If you could do it in 6u plus keep the System 1M on its own, the Intellijel 7u case could power the 5xx series and the other 4. It has a 3A +/- power supply. Plus you'd get the 1u strip for midi, audio I/O and a Quadratt attenuverting mixer, all of which can be very handy with that system.

Anyone know of a Eurorack flight case I could get for this rack that could handle the power demands?

Although I have looked online a fair bit, I believe the power requirements to be more substantial than a lot of cases seem to be able to handle. I could be wrong.

I'm located in Australia and happy to import but the PSU would obviously have to comply with Australian power supply standards.

Thx,
Richard

ModularGrid Rack

I'm about to buy my first modules to do some industrial techno kind of sounds (especially percussion ones). Any advice ?