Submitting is still an option for you. You just need to fill in some of the fields and then make sure to have "Do not list this module" checked. This option is tailored to your need:

Check this field if you do not want your module to be listed in the module browser. It will be excluded from the module search, too. This is useful for your unique DIY modules and alternations of modules already in the database, technically considered as duplicate.

Thank you it’s a pleasure to work/play with.

Great rack
-- GarfieldModular

No debate there! I've been looking at this for a hot minute, and the only thing I would change here would be to move the Ears to the left end of the top row. That would make it less messy as zuggamasta's audio input line could come in from the left edge of the cab, instead of over the middle-top. But the rest...this is clearly an experimentation rig, and it's a damn good one!

-- Lugia

The ears is still in the middle from some earlier single row experiments. I’m currently using it as an overdrive anyway so it’s not to busy with external gear ✌️

Beauty shot of the current setup:
current setup

Added some potential future Modules on the shopping list:
Mutable Instruments Stages
Mutable Instruments Links

The plan is that Stages would become the modulation control center. So my main "controllers" then would be LL8, Muxlicer, Stages and the Tesseract Mixer.

Optional with either PICO Seq or Mimetic Digitalis for more control over the voices. I really enjoy the idea of a tiny Pico Seq where I would slowly programm in some bass lines or other pre made patterns that could then be further processed with a sequential switch. As the Pico has configurable gates and even glide.
The Mimetic Digitalis may not have those but would be able to configure to send Gates Via one of the four channels by entering either fully open or fully closed values. so that there would be also the possibility to program "chord progressions".

Now that I write the post the MD might be better for general experimentation... What would you reccomend and which other Sequencer should I consider?

(last recorded live stream of the current setup minus the kick all, which is still being soldered )

Wow this is a surprisingly cool "tiny build". I'd love to play with this machine too!

Yeah I'm blind. Sorry for that!

But the expander has some nifty addons! ;)

There are some nice things in your build but I'm not sure how far you'd come with it. And you still need the HRAD "main section" to go with the PRAGA. As it doesn't have any way to out put it's mix without the HRAD.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devices-hrad-

I usually patch the VCA in the back as the zlob VCF filter can go pretty nuts in the self oscillation range and the vca helps to keep the things in terms! ✌️

Hey @Ronin1973 thank you! Another strong voice for the plaits. I really like the module in VCV already, need to see what module I can get. Original Mutable Instruments or maybe I can finally put together a SMD build like knit by anatumbra.
Bitbox is nice but a little to high fidelity for my cause. If I need more sounds there is a big computer somewhere around.

Hi @GarfieldModular I enjoy the things I can do with modular a lot now. Still some things to figure out with the tesseract mixer but that should be sorted out soon. I really want to get a bit more control over pan and FX send/return.
Yeah! Second row = new rack. I had some trouble with the power brick that got lost somewhere sometime between Barcelona and Germany.

Hey Modularfriends,

here's a update on the Skiff. Thank you again for your recommendations now, and when I started out:

Small DIY Kit Rewiew:

Frequency Central Seismograf SD (Snare Drum):
- Full Kit ordered from https://www.exploding-shed.com/
- Came with all parts and pre programmed snaredrum chip
- Build Guide is a litte rough around the edges, at the end I was not sure how in which direction the control PCB is connected with the main PCB. I did look up some builds on instagram to verify my setup
- Aluminum panel has nice sharp white screenprint but a little chipped at the side. No issue for me but might be from interest.
- I switched out the knured nuts for Befaco Bananuts, looks dope!
- Sound and functionality are top notch. Putting in an audio rate square wave in the gate input is lots of fun.

I might get a second one with the Kick Drum chip.

Thank you for considering that @JimHowell1970,

I could track back the issues to be somewhere between the cue channel and the headphone jack. When putting everything together one of the hexnuts on the Stereo got stuck and wreaked havoc on the miniswitch and PCB. I'll have some big cleanup to do now first.

Hey modulargrid,

I just soldered a TEX MIX Stereo and Master Section (only the through hole parts, the rest came already mounted on the pcb). Now I am trying to troubleshoot my build. Had someone having this module noticed that the On/Off/Cue switches do not fully close? I'm getting a bit of signal on the left side.

I haven't further inspected this yet but my understanding would be that something is transmitting over the ground? So maybe a short between legs or is it rather something that is not well grounded?

happy to hear from anyone
thank you
alex

I think Castor and Pollux also fit very well in that realm, with the goal to "Create a spiritual successor to the Roland Juno's voice for Eurorack".
(https://blog.thea.codes/designing-castor-and-pollux/ blog post on designing the module)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/winterbloom-castor-pollux

Thank you for the detailed explanation! There are so many ways to get a mixing setup in eurorack, it amazes me every time!

A live set would be lovely, but what ever floats your boat 😉

I love that black spot of just Doepfer jack inputs, its even visible on your photo.
May I ask how you are mixing your sound on this? is it "only" with the VCAs and then straight to the 2x3 µmix?

Congratulations on your great setup, I also did listen today for a while, sounds crisp! ;)

Hey Lugia, that's some great Input for my small rig. And I'd rather have some "analog" module on the output chain instead of the next DSP module. Great!

In the meantime I found out about the Tesseract Hex mix which neatly fits in to my channel and size needs. Might make the current output module obsolete but should work nicely with the Isolators.

Thanks Garfield, I was skeptical about plaits but there’s just a whole range an timbres possible with morphing and moving between engines (I hope)

Thank you Bigham that sounds like the thing I am looking for, a small set and forget module to „glue“ the mix. The additional Sharp Performance EQ Sounds also good on paper, but can it be used while the comp is set up? Or du you just manipulate the comp bands? ✌️

Hey Modulargridders
turns out it's better to get a bigger euorrack case ;) So now I'm planning my expansion in a second row with some bits and pieces I miss and some small space to grow.
Current 98hp are a lot of fun and are really striving from the input I got here on the forum! latest Jam with the Robaux LL8 as rhythm brain (I kicked out my midi module and I am not looking back)

Coming back to the planned second row, for now I'm really enjoying the idea to have two skiffs that can also work standalone and there are some DIY modules I'm interested in building.
Current wants & Favorites

DIY
Antumbra DVCA- As second half of veils (also VCAs)
AB+C - It's just super useful and there where times I wanted another one
Seismograph SD - It's a nice little kit and might be all I need
Stmix - I looked into a whole lot of more complex and featured mixers but always come back to basic setups
Robaux 3pt - I enjoyed the LL8 kit and mentality a lot, I want to use this for either quantizing or step sequencing

Assembled
Nearness - Those where recommended by Lugia and I really see a use for them in my rack

Others
Plaits, Beads - These two are kind of place holders, I like to have some granular module but might come back to bastl spa for that. I've recently come across a lot of techniques to use plaits and feel like it's a powerhouse of a module
Golden Master - I'm not sure if I'll go for this one, but at least I'm really digging into DAWless settings where I want something to add a little punch and EQ at the very end of the chain

I'm happy to hear about any tips tricks and further recommendations. Happy patching!

(I'm really not forcing the black panels thing. It just turns out a lot of DIY kits have them, haha)

Exploding Shed also has a lot of them in stock!
https://www.exploding-shed.com/shop-catalogue/4ms-pod-cases/

I'm on a tiny 98hp rack and I'd also argue that you probably won't have much joy from a 64hp ambient machine and wonder where you'd get two usefull stereo signals out of it to cue your mix...

But for the threads names sake and anyone else looking for an output module with stereo cue, Bastl Instruments to the rescue:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-ciao-black

From the module description:
4 high quality line outputs for your modular in compact format. With line level clipping indication is handy for both recording and live. Headphone output can be quickly switched to listen to one of the stereo channels. It is also great for jamming because you can separately create a sound on your headphones and then flip a switch to mix it into the final mix directly with this module.

Best luck and fun with your ambient rack!

Two of my recent experiments in one Rack and one Post.

First tinkering and practicing with a more performance based piece:

Then me trying to do the opposite and building more classical song structures and putting my fender to use.

And if anyone has some good tips for nice 6u cases. (sorry, still no fan of the mantis )

Fun stuff with such a small system! And you're not even facilitating all your modules ;)
Keep it up

Amazing! But then you also know how your patch might sound IRL, which is super cool to me!
Keep it up

Hey mastermol, if you want to start with modular without a synth on your desk you should check out VCV rack (https://vcvrack.com/) it's a software where you can patch modules. There are some packed with the program and others to add later. If you look for a bit you can find hardware clones, too. These behave just like the hardware version.

cheers

“These three cool modules + Pam’s New Workout is not a working modular synth”

But more serious, not sure if some manual, or written guide is stronger than any of those sexy minimal Modular Synth YouTube videos.

I'd suggest to get the case and then start building it up from there. I had a good time slowly and steadily filling my initial 98hp and can already use it for my kind of tunes.
One suggestion for your row of VCAs there are some 6x VCAs like the zlob CNICURSAL VCA you need 2hp more but I'd argue you get a lot more playability. The 2hp trim pots right next to each other are close to not manipulable with jacks connected. Also you get a sum out so it acts like a CV controlled mixer, too.

Hey Garfiled, happy to hear that you enjoying my jam.

I was planning to do produce my own circuitboards, and panels but thought I rather spend money on actual solid modules rather then keep sinking money in new PCB layouts or miss drilled front plates. I'll still keep my CAD files and see if I can produce them some other day.

DIY/RACK-wise I'm now set up with 104hp of modules and 98hp of space. My plan is still to either build a 6U Rack from Z-Rails or add a second befaco skiff which could be nicely bracketed to the first one. The most recent DIY build is the fantastic LL8 from robaux in an advance to permanently move away from the midi-in module of my rack. More on that soon.

keep patching and take care

I really enjoy the dark mode so far. The only minor thing I was puzzled by is why the modules are also displayed in a muted version in dark mode. This threw me of a little this morning :D

I personally would prefer dark mode with regular modules, but that's just my 2 cents
gif of the dark mode, dark mode with bright modules and default mode

After a forced break away from the synth I'm back and it's at such a great state to just jam around and build on top of what it is already capable of.

Patchnotes:
ModularGrid Rack
- Kick from Muxlicer [Clock Out] to Rampage [Trigg B] sending [B Out] to the VCA and Sine [V/oct] in, [Sub] to the mix
- Melody Muxlicer is self patched to control triggers per step and controls [VCO1] of the paradox, [VCO2] is changed by S/H at every end of cycle. Both Voltages are quantized by the Disting mk4
- Snare is noise with an LGP as envelope/VCA
- Mixing and Effects: I send my mixed voices in the filter first, and then to the FxAid for the glitchy slapback delay. There is also a secondary mono signal running dry from the mix to the headphone cue to instantly switch to a rich, non filtered signal path. Which I did not record, haha. I also didn't monitor the line out well enough, so the signal came in a little hot and distorts quite a bit)

Take care and have fun

My main takeaway after the last jams: The more control and Instruments I got the least happy I am with the result. So I might double down on kicking out the midi input of my eurorack, soon. Good that I went with the dual LPG to shave some off.

Not super happy with the music but I'm building a VJ tool as a companion for my jams which I wanted to showcase here. Pretty basic, but I'm happy to build something audio reactive.

Fantastic, I enjoy these videos very much. But it also makes me want to get a Maths, over and over again 😬 I also dig the tune, not to shabby for only three modules (and sq1) used!

Pretty sure this is a test, hehe.

After some back and forth I got an FX Aid from Schneidersladen and YES. So good. I also went with a passive dual LPG, which might not be as versatile as the pico LPG Lugia recommended, but the Skiff is just... full. No place for cables or modules deeper than 2cm. Which is alright because this small Kit just... works!
I streamed/recorded a session with the thing and ORCA last night. Best thing? I haven't even touched the Disting, which I want to add tonight.

The Zlob Modular SVF is super small and super Nasty. I choose this for my small skiff, but the bastl cinnamon seems to be also a great choice for tiny filters. Also from what I heard filters are a very personal thing so you might need to find a way to try one out first. (or buy them all ;) )

Some more DAW-less rambling on the tiny Skiff + PO-33.

Patchnotes:
Muxlicer to OSCA of Paradox and to OSCB with added slew via Rampage
Rampage as envelope generator of the Paradox
Muxlicer "Slice" triggers to Disting with dual Samples form some Iglooghoost samples I had lying around a harddrive.
Main out to my Delay pedal and mixed back in for feedback loops.
Sync with PO-33 over clockdivided Muxlicer Clockout

1. )
    I really like Lugias "Why to NOT get into modular synthesis", there where some super great perspectives there, not only from the original author but from others sharing their experience and view on the world of "getting into modular"
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/3579

2. )
    "how do you practice?"
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9275

3. )
    "20U Current - Ivo Ivanov (Glitchmachines)" - Super cool artist showing how to go to work on a big modular setup.
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9063

4. )
    "98HP Jumpskiff DIY (befaco, 2hp, zlob, MI, ZZZ)" - shameless self-promotion: I tried to document my steps into modular here with lots of positive feedback from the community and videos documenting the growing rack and soundscape.
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9200

50mm is good if you have a flying bus board. But don't even think about getting one of the proper (small) boards inside this. The Befaco skiff is also 5cm deep but the backside of the case doubles as bus board. This takes away 1cm at every position of the 14 power connectors on the board

Not sure how low cost it really is with added power, but I like the looks. Could this be also made from other material other than aluminium?

I can give some input perspective on the doepfer A-190-4. If you need USB, DIN midi and DIN midi trough, yes! But there are other modules that give you much more midi to CV for the buck and for the HP.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy-circuits-alm023-mmmidi
4HP, two full channels with cv gate and velocity + clock and MG lists it with 115€

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-midi-thing-
6HP, DIN midi, Modes with either two channels with velocity and mod, four CVs+gate or 8 trigger/gates 200€ (or less if you DIY it)

Yeah, big thank you to you, Lugia! It's really nice, but also a little beast for me to tame. :)
ModularGrid Rack
The setup as of now is utterly amazing. There is still space left and I was able to patch up a full ensemble with thick Kick, nice HiHats, and paraphonic melody from the paradox. I'll try to sketch this up later after work.

I put my hands on the new Paradox dual VCO in my rack. Lots of things to learn as I now have some characterful FM synthesis at my fingertips, which I am not doing full justice yet:

Some Patchnotes for the curious
Melody:
Random Pitch from Zlob Entropy
Random Slices from of Bass from Muxlicer
Both quantised by Disting MK4
Modulation:
LFO and Envelope from Rampage
FX Loop:
BOSS Waza Craft Delay and TC Arena as Reverberation

@Garfield
The OP-Z is a long loved tool/toy on my desk and in my backpack. Making Music not only without DAW, but also without screens.

Thread: FX thread

To chime in with Lugia, here is a minimal FX setup: I have 4HP of multi fx processor (Disting MK4) which is fun, too.
For a minimal setup of pedal board FX I send things out via a headphone Cue and returing it via Mutable Ears. In my case it worked great with the BOSS DM-2W Delay, because I could also mix it back in the FX loop for well controllable feedback :)

PS.: Next up will be an FX Aid as dedicated processing module ;)

Hello Modulargrid,
Thank you for your support, kind words and reccomendations. I have too much fun with this synth.

Okay, the time marker doenst work: Jump to 40:19 for a lot of fun :)

Ah now I get you. It's one of the reasons why I also not bought into the nifty: It's modular is a great platform to switch out things if they don't work, but now it looks like you need to switch cases ;) .

My experience with midi clocks is, they tend to be a bit tedious in setting up. Reaper (DAW) for examples does not sent start stop or clock bei default, but it needs to be configured in the midi out.

From a quick search it looks like the clock needs to be activated seperatly from midi out on the elektrom rythm:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/midi-clock-out-set-up/29559
But you probably already checked this

Ahhh, now I'm getting your issue, I had similar coniderations. I do use the midi thing for DAW use DAW+External Sequencer and just to plug it into a keyboard. I don't have that big fixed rig so play around and experiment a lot. The favorite workflow for me is:
Teenage Engineering OP-Z as sequencer -> USB -> DAW -> USB -> SOUNDCARD -> MIDI -> Midi Thing

I could either shortcut this by having the OP-Z CV addon -> with CV and Gate outs, TRS Midi out or a module that takes USB-Midi to CV.

But I like to go through the DAW first because I can record midi and audio of my sessions and replay parts for dubbing etc. The DAW also is great to remap midi in/outs on the fly. Which is a little fiddely on the OP-Z.

Cheers

Heyo, I'm not sure if I'm missing something important. But there is a lot of modules that also do MIDI -> CV with more channels outside of the dopefer world.

I'm using a https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-midi-thing-, which is configurable to be either 8x triggers + clock out/start stop or 4xCV 4x GATE + clock out/start stop or one channel with velocity and mod + clock out/start stop and other configurations in between.

With this module you would only have a oldschool din-Midi tho.

Monologue Mode activated: Just ordered the Noise Reap Paradox after watching the Demo once again.

Can I bug you like this, @Lugia? I made some changes in my plan and would be interested in your feedback, maybe I'm on the wrong track so I'd be happy to get some outside view on this.

I'm super cool with my external non-analog drum setup, instead of getting a full kick voice I'd rather setup an + LPG for that if I need something more custom.
Switched out the Dual VCO for a Instruo VCO, probably not as experimental and crazy. But I'm also not getting this too soon anyway.
Removed one of the Nearness modules and kept some wiggle room for the setup in the skiff (modules deeper than 3,5cm might touch the power strip)

For me the biggest change: An FX Aid XL to have more modulation points on the effects. I'm currently using the Disting for effects and would rather use it modulate the effects themself with envelopes or LFOs

(Also, yes I need a bigger rack/ second skiff)

Thank you very much in advance

A bigger more melodic jam?! Plus the pressure of doing it live?! I am getting more and more what I want out of my little box. Currently still looking at the fx Aid to get a bit more hands on with the post processing.

Patchnotes:
Teenage Engineering OP-Z midi over USB
USB from machine back to the MIDI Thing.

OP-Z for drums, additional sounds and the arpeggiator
Sine Oscilator is doing all the hard work
Rampage is providing Envelopes and LFO
Thickness from white noise to Zlob VCF ping
Antumbra DVCA is opening and closing the gates ;)
Ping Pong Delay on the Disting MK

Mixing is just done in OBS for the livestream (did a four track recording of this offline, which I'll try to master a little more)

Thank you for listening

This is amazing, and a great exercise! Thank you for sharing the whole ride :)

Thank you, less is more, some might say. But I am currently looking into the noise reap dual oscillator or the tiny instruō ts-l to spice things up 🔥