Thread: Starter kit

It is very cool. I just had my first play around with it - with its 8x16 grid, it's a very visual way of working, which I like. It's a bit like the Deluge, but sequencer only. And it's tiny! The entire box it shipped in, containing the Oxi One, a carrying case, cables, and a module to connect modular with a single cable, fits into my BSP case!

that's great - sometimes bigger is better, and sometimes the opposite

Well, coming from the Argon8x and having the wavetable mode in Plaits, I know there can also be a big difference between VCOs. The Argon has these incredible wavetables where you just go back and forth through the table and you've got an instant classic. But I see what you mean. I have doubted my Feedback Lo-Fusion for a while, but I really started liking its instant old-school warm grungy sound. That's character. Do you have the same feeling about effects, e.g. different reverbs/delays?

yeah I think there's a lot of character in effects... there can be both subtle and massive differences in almost all of them... probably why I have so many!

That's a good point. And the Lion is TRS, too, which I understand for send/return, but that means it requires dedicated cables. Something standard has its advantages.

yeah and it's trs to dual ts cables you need and no control other than where you plug the cables in...

Ugh.

exactly!

Not looking forward to telling my wife I'll be adding a second case... It's not like she's not supportive - she likes that I'm making music. It's just me being very uncertain about spending money again on it. I also like the idea of having a portable system for performances - which will be new for me but I'm starting talks. One Intellijel 7U + Oxi + iPad is eminently portable. Add a second 7U and it becomes far less so. Or that's how it seems to me now. If you'd told me I'd be lugging around a 7U + BSP + bag full of cables/PSUs + laptop bag with iPad and macbook pro to workshops every week... "Add a second 7U" is a meaningless delta when you're already dragging Google's data center around
-- Arrandan

well it all seems easily portable in a rucksack and 2 cases... so ok on public transport!! another option of course is buy a massive case for home and swap what you need into a single case for a gig...
I hope your wife is understanding...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

looks cool - hope you get on well with it - I'll have to find a review...

It is very cool. I just had my first play around with it - with its 8x16 grid, it's a very visual way of working, which I like. It's a bit like the Deluge, but sequencer only. And it's tiny! The entire box it shipped in, containing the Oxi One, a carrying case, cables, and a module to connect modular with a single cable, fits into my BSP case!

It's easy to miss the odd module - especially if it's not a common one... but if you ask me the more the merrier - I've got at least 6 in the rack and a few external ones...

I'm definitely happy I added the squawk. The always-present HPF and the flexibility are just so handy. I've used both my filters in everything I've done since the squawk arrived.

I have an old Frostwave Resonator - which is a pedal format(ish) MS20 filter... more filters is always better than more vcos - mostly vcos are vcos - filters are where the character is 90% of the time

Well, coming from the Argon8x and having the wavetable mode in Plaits, I know there can also be a big difference between VCOs. The Argon has these incredible wavetables where you just go back and forth through the table and you've got an instant classic. But I see what you mean. I have doubted my Feedback Lo-Fusion for a while, but I really started liking its instant old-school warm grungy sound. That's character. Do you have the same feeling about effects, e.g. different reverbs/delays?

That's a good point. And the Lion is TRS, too, which I understand for send/return, but that means it requires dedicated cables. Something standard has its advantages.

yeah and it's trs to dual ts cables you need and no control other than where you plug the cables in...

Ugh.

obviously time for another case then...

Gateway drug! Escalating addiction!
-- Arrandan

tell me about it - 8 cases... 1800hp-ish... cupboard full of effects pedals... etc etc... down to 4 guitars and only 1 bass though! so swings and roundabouts...

Not looking forward to telling my wife I'll be adding a second case... It's not like she's not supportive - she likes that I'm making music. It's just me being very uncertain about spending money again on it. I also like the idea of having a portable system for performances - which will be new for me but I'm starting talks. One Intellijel 7U + Oxi + iPad is eminently portable. Add a second 7U and it becomes far less so. Or that's how it seems to me now. If you'd told me I'd be lugging around a 7U + BSP + bag full of cables/PSUs + laptop bag with iPad and macbook pro to workshops every week... "Add a second 7U" is a meaningless delta when you're already dragging Google's data center around

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

How do you check which version firmware?and whats the procedure to update firmware on plaits
-- Broken-Form

The way I did it, was by trying if the color-blind mode works. You can find the details here: https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/plaits/firmware/ But basically, you turn on the module while pressing the right button. Instead of red/green LEDs, you'll get two levels of brightness. If that works, then you have v1.1, which is the latest.

iirc there are only 2 firmwares - the original doesn't have lfos - no idea how to check as mine is pre that firmware and I never upgraded it

the update procedure is usually in the manual for mutable modules

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

How do you check which version firmware?and whats the procedure to update firmware on plaits

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I bought a uGrids from @TommyTank

Great comms, very responsive, well packaged, no drama

I like the befaco excalibus works very well for me up to video rates...

Possibly - the reason to use the Pams as master is that it's solid and it's easy to read the BPM - don't know the Oxi One at all - maybe you can clock that from Pams - altough vice versa is probably fine too

That should be okay:

looks cool - hope you get on well with it - I'll have to find a review...

And anyway, if I link them up, both will show the same clock. Or should at least No fun memories of trying to get a BSP to work with a Korg SQ-1 as central clock. In the end it was quickly done, of course, but it required a computer to reconfigure the BSP, which I didn't have with me at that time...

yeah only issue with bsp... always carry a macbook pro is the answer...

I have 2 filters in there now - Squawk and the Lo-Fusion. Lo-Fusion isn't very dense but I've grown to like its raw sound. Perhaps Steve's MS-22 is similar and more in less HP, because both are based on the MS-20. We'll see.

It's easy to miss the odd module - especially if it's not a common one... but if you ask me the more the merrier - I've got at least 6 in the rack and a few external ones...

I'm definitely happy I added the squawk. The always-present HPF and the flexibility are just so handy. I've used both my filters in everything I've done since the squawk arrived.

I have an old Frostwave Resonator - which is a pedal format(ish) MS20 filter... more filters is always better than more vcos - mostly vcos are vcos - filters are where the character is 90% of the time

Matrix mixer - yes, I've been thinking about that. I saw DivKid's video on the Instruo Lion and it's an interesting non-standard approach to a matrix. Doepfer is of course a good standard. I'll need to look into matrix mixers more deeply, because there are so many different possibilities (attenuverters, ...)

I saw that video too - but I think a standard one is much easier to work with and no special loopback plugs to loose!!!

Adding stuff is nice, but I'm running out of space. Add a tetrapad and all 3U is full. I feel like I'll need to just do it and decide what I will keep in the rack based on what actually works.

-- Arrandan

tell me about it - 8 cases... 1800hp-ish... cupboard full of effects pedals... etc etc... down to 4 guitars and only 1 bass though! so swings and roundabouts...

Possibly - the reason to use the Pams as master is that it's solid and it's easy to read the BPM - don't know the Oxi One at all - maybe you can clock that from Pams - altough vice versa is probably fine too

That should be okay:

And anyway, if I link them up, both will show the same clock. Or should at least No fun memories of trying to get a BSP to work with a Korg SQ-1 as central clock. In the end it was quickly done, of course, but it required a computer to reconfigure the BSP, which I didn't have with me at that time...

I have 2 filters in there now - Squawk and the Lo-Fusion. Lo-Fusion isn't very dense but I've grown to like its raw sound. Perhaps Steve's MS-22 is similar and more in less HP, because both are based on the MS-20. We'll see.

Matrix mixer - yes, I've been thinking about that. I saw DivKid's video on the Instruo Lion and it's an interesting non-standard approach to a matrix. Doepfer is of course a good standard. I'll need to look into matrix mixers more deeply, because there are so many different possibilities (attenuverters, ...)

I saw that video too - but I think a standard one is much easier to work with and no special loopback plugs to loose!!!

Adding stuff is nice, but I'm running out of space. Add a tetrapad and all 3U is full. I feel like I'll need to just do it and decide what I will keep in the rack based on what actually works.

-

• Behringer Brains (as synth voice)
  • Mutable Instruments Peak (LFO / ADSR)
  • Doepfer A-180-e

no need for a buffered mult - only 1 pitch destination - so passive is fine, better yet get some stackcables or headphone splitter type mults

• Z5000 (as multi FX)
  • TipTip Forbidden Planet (Filter)
  • Erica Pico DSP
  • kNob AGNI
  • Bastl Popcorn
  • Quad Quantizer

why do you think you need a quad quantizer - you only have 1 thing that wants pitch? you mention recommendations for a sequencer below - how about one with a quantizer built in - a used metropolis for example would be a great starter sequencer...

• Quad VCA

good - but get a veils whilst you can - 2hp smaller and better features imo!

Hey guys,
I want to build my first rack to accomplish

no you want to 'accompany' - accomplish is something quite different - please check with a dictionary... I don't usually pick on incorrect use of English, as your English is way better than whatever language you speak - but it's the second time I've seen the same mistake in 2 days and, well you know....

DFAM & 0-coast. Something as a little synth for interesting bleeps & bloops for techno & basslines.
Brains is no-brainer for its price & versality.

plaits is still available, buy that instead, it's 2hp smaller and you don't sell your soul to Uli...

Maths looks a bit complicated to me so i decided to pick up Peak instead.

I have both and I find Maths to be significantly easier than Peaks... as it's one function per knob, etc - Peaks I have to look up what each knob is doing in each mode - & if you include split mode and expert mode etc there are about 19 different knob combinations - have you managed to find a peaks - they've been discontinued for a quite a while!

• Curious about filter - is it nice or there are some better alternatives?

no idea - there are always alternatives, it's very personal & the more the merrier - I have 8 or so actual filters in my rack (and a few external ones) - Plaits includes a filter so you could skip initially

• Any interested but not wide & over-complex sequencers?
  • I m planning to build it in Cre8audio Nifty Case so be able to sequence it alternatively with Ableton or AUM.

don't get 2 multi fx modules & wait and get either the new xaoc one or an fx aid xl - should be available again soonish

get a tiptop mantis - more space, that you will need sooner rather than later/better power/manufacturer has good reputation/case has good reputation/seriously better bang for buck all round - and a used beatstep pro... don't worry about unused space in the case - but do at least make some cardboard blind panels & decorate them with doodles or stickers

Thanks for the advice, which is very useful as always, Jim. A bit deeper into them...

NP

use Pam's as the master clock in the rack - if you want to record, use an audio track with a kick on it every 16th note and run that through the es9 into Pams (set Pams to receive 4ppqn) ...

I would be using an external sequencer. Tomorrow my Oxi One should arrive to replace my BSP. Can't I just send that one's clock into Pam's?

2nd filter/effects module would probably be a good idea - change things up quickly and easily... possibly more mixing... for sub mixes of vco outputs - before hitting filter/effects

possibly replace the doepfer lfo with something like batumi (4 channels) - consider a matrix mixer with big knobs (doepfer) for combining modulation sources to get more interesting modulation

LFO - Batumi, understood.

consider a control module - harlequins context, tetrapad, mtm control etc - for controlling things better...

A couple of people I know send everything to a Tesseract Sweet Sixteen to keep control in one place. Harlequin - sounds interesting, but I don't really get it immediately. I need to look at it more in-depth. Tetrapad - it's been on my radar for a while now. Looks particularly good for live sets indeed.

This is something I've been considering for a while too... I've built a number of Tesseract modules and the Sweet Sixteen looks great... I've got a TNSM v2 to build at some point - it's back of the pile at the moment though - with 15 or so modules in front!!

-- Arrandan

ModularGrid Rack

• Behringer Brains (as synth voice)
  • Mutable Instruments Peak (LFO / ADSR)
  • Doepfer A-180-e
  • Z5000 (as multi FX)
  • TipTip Forbidden Planet (Filter)
  • Erica Pico DSP
  • kNob AGNI
  • Bastl Popcorn
  • Quad Quantizer
  • Quad VCA

Hey guys,
I want to build my first rack to accomplish DFAM & 0-coast. Something as a little synth for interesting bleeps & bloops for techno & basslines.
Brains is no-brainer for its price & versality.
Maths looks a bit complicated to me so i decided to pick up Peak instead.
- Curious about filter - is it nice or there are some better alternatives?
- Any interested but not wide & over-complex sequencers?
- I m planning to build it in Cre8audio Nifty Case so be able to sequence it alternatively with Ableton or AUM.

Would appreciate any advices / improvements / ideas.

My budget is around 1500 eur.

Thanks for the advice, which is very useful as always, Jim. A bit deeper into them...

use Pam's as the master clock in the rack - if you want to record, use an audio track with a kick on it every 16th note and run that through the es9 into Pams (set Pams to receive 4ppqn) ...

I would be using an external sequencer. Tomorrow my Oxi One should arrive to replace my BSP. Can't I just send that one's clock into Pam's?

2nd filter/effects module would probably be a good idea - change things up quickly and easily... possibly more mixing... for sub mixes of vco outputs - before hitting filter/effects

possibly replace the doepfer lfo with something like batumi (4 channels) - consider a matrix mixer with big knobs (doepfer) for combining modulation sources to get more interesting modulation

LFO - Batumi, understood.

consider a control module - harlequins context, tetrapad, mtm control etc - for controlling things better...

A couple of people I know send everything to a Tesseract Sweet Sixteen to keep control in one place. Harlequin - sounds interesting, but I don't really get it immediately. I need to look at it more in-depth. Tetrapad - it's been on my radar for a while now. Looks particularly good for live sets indeed.

I'm adding another vote for supporting XODES-style layout with three 1U modules stacked in a 3U row. You can sort of do it, but it doesn't save the module positions.

Sorry, did not see the thread. Someone voted you down but deleted his account. I have delete the downvote.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Français plus bas.
Eng.
Hello community,
Instruo realeases some very beautiful to watch and beautiful sounding modules. I own an oscillator of the brand called TS-L v2, a module of 6HP capable of a lot. In this video I capture 6 very nice and creative patches. Ok, the kick and bass ones are probably not that much creative (you know how to do kicks and basses I guess), but still it sounds really neat.
All the patches are detailed on screen, and the knobs on pictures match the actual patches. Thank you to Moduargrid for the modules pictures.
happy watching !
French :
Salut !
Instruo fabrique des modules non seulement beaux (question de goûts), mais qui sonnent vraiment bien. Je me suis offert leur petit oscillateur appelé TS-L en version 2. Dans cette vidéo, je capture 6 patches créatifs.
Le patchage est détaillé à l'écran et les boutons sur les images incrustées reflètent la position réelle des boutons des modules.
bon visionnage !

I bought a Dual Borg from @forcept
It arrived quickly, was well packaged, looks pristine and works great.

Interesting, I'm planning my next shifter, I don't have one, it will be the first!

So which is your favorite shifter, and why? do u think digital vs analog makes sense for a shifter comparison, or own both kind of approach do u think ?
-- fzzz

My 2 cents:

Own both is a very valid approach IMO if you have the $ and the space in your rack. I currently own the following frequency shifters myself:

Sketchy Labs Freak Shift (analog)
DACS Freque II (analog rackmount)
Mutable Warps (digital)
Happy Nerding FX Aid (digital)

I've also owned the SynthTech Deflector Shield in the past. My experience so far is that no two sound alike, but of course the ones that can accept external carrier signals have the potential for more variety of sounds. But IMO having the ability to output the up and down-shifted signal so you can mix/invert/otherwise process them before feeding them back into the module might be even more important in that regard. Note also that some shifters are limited in how much they can shift, which could be an issue if, for example, you decide you want to do octave shifts with higher-pitched signals.

Of the shifters I've used I'd say that generally speaking I prefer the sound of the analog ones, which in my case also offer a lot more control. But of course the digital shifters I own do a lot more than just frequency shifting. Still I'm glad they have that capability, sometimes your dedicated shifter is occupied and you want to shift something else, well then Warps or FX Aid can come to the rescue. So that's how I look at it.

Alright, I found someone nice enough to let me try my modules with their rack: they work perfectly! I'll try to get a 15V alimentation tomorrow before going to the repairman ✌️

I also have the FreakShift and the Doepfer A-126-2. I did a quick comparison and posted some pros and cons of both here:
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3684106#p3684106
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3686851#p3686851

Note that the Xaoc is not analog, but DSP based and can this easily implement stereo processing at an affordable price.

-- oOCc

Interesting, I'm planning my next shifter, I don't have one, it will be the first!

So which is your favorite shifter, and why? do u think digital vs analog makes sense for a shifter comparison, or own both kind of approach do u think ?

A fun unit from Befaco, their Crush delay version 3.
A good digital delay, and of course since it's from Befaco it's not a one trick pony, also has the CRUSH side of things which gives you some serious crunchiness if you want it With a feedback circuit that goes on for days.
Not a hard build, but LOTS of parts so will keep you busy for a while.
And one small issue with the power connector interfering with some jack legs, but workable.

Crush build

advice:

Back with an update after ordering, and receiving most of, what I planned for the last months. Sorry for all the broken links and screenshots at the top. I cleaned up my rack list recently.

• Klavis Twin Waves mkii ordered, will pick it up tomorrow. Pamela idem. Select 2 has already arrived & I played around with it for some random drum triggering with Zadar as the clock.
  • I didn't get Ochd. Instead, I got an Orbit 3. It's different and very versatile, but will need some work to get used to it.
  • Ordered Squawk instead of an LPF All in one, got it over with.
  • Melotus Versio is great, but the Electus firmware is even greater! I love the clocked delay.
  • ES-9 added and it's brilliant. Using it with iPad and AUM.

I stopped my YouTube channel as it distracted me from the main event - making music. It also took a lot of extra time, which I don't have, making a track per day after a full-time job.

As for the BSP, I'm replacing it with an Oxi + Oxi Pipe. The Oxi is more advanced and focused on sequencing. The Pipe makes connecting it all very easy. Best of all, I'm hoping it will be small and light enough to travel.

Next, I'd like to start moving towards live performances. So far, I do record my tracks with some live manipulation, but it's very limited. Basically, I've pre-programmed the BSP and tweaked some parameters live. I want to move in the direction of jams that keep people entertained for longer stretches of time, e.g. one hour. I know my rack is sorely lacking in controls for that, so I've just added an Intellijel switched multi and an Instruo [1]f to start with. Advice with that would be very welcome!

ModularGrid Rack

I also have the FreakShift and the Doepfer A-126-2. I did a quick comparison and posted some pros and cons of both here:
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3684106#p3684106
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3686851#p3686851

Note that the Xaoc is not analog, but DSP based and can this easily implement stereo processing at an affordable price.

Thanks so much for the replies. I really like that TipTop case, although it looks like its sold out everywhere. There look to be a few on Reverb though.

if you can wait new ones turn up in stores from time to time - including a run of black ones due in a few months or so

Lots of research to do on these suggestions. I had not considered floor/expression options or an isolator but both make perfect sense. That Minimix seems cool with the panning options as well... never enough VCA's, right? Great stuff. I'm sure I will have more questions as I research.

yeah not things you think about until someone points them out... more vcas are good... as are more questions!!

I didn't mention in the first post, but I've done quite a bit of DIY building, pedals and amps. I know this is an option in eurorack, and I'm navigating options for retailers. I'm more of a "full kit" than a source parts guy. Seems like Thonk and Synthcube are the big players, Modular Addict... Are there any modules you would recommend staying away from as kits? Pedal kits sometimes get you 90-95% of the way there, but there will be a difference in the sound of an official vs clone. Is this the same in modular? Is this opening a can?
-- cdc3jj

no idea how close the DIY stuff gets to factory built modules, I suspect it's 100% - but then, a lot of the DIY modules are DIY only so it's difficult to compare - so I've never compared any DIY kits I've built to factory built modules - but I have built quite a few... tbh - kits don't save that much money - so if there's a factory built model then I'd tend to buy that, unless you really like building kits - if you want to save money sourcing your own components is the only real way to save money... and then only if you buy for quite a few modules at once and round up for price breaks and free postage and then you spend a lot of time doing all the searching and substituting components

what I have compared is a few MI builds - specifically Veils mk1 and Shades mk1 - mine are close but I think that's down to my smd soldering skills and possibly to some extent part substituting skills (it's been a while - might not have paid attention to capacitor types as much as I should have) and not the BOM or pcbs - all MI modules are open source...

I would probably start with just a multimeter and test the rack itself, empty, for +12, -12, +5 where they're all supposed to be. If any of them are way out of whack, that's probably your problem. Given your source was only 12v in, it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that it failed in a way that damaged modules, so you probably got lucky there. Plugging them into another rack is a pretty good way to test them, and from what you've described so far i'd probably just be bold and go for it testing the modules (one at a time though) - but keep an eye for obvious trouble as you power it up and be ready to pull the input power quickly if needed!

Thanks a lot for your answer! Do you happen to know the kind of place I could go to and ask to test the devices? Or is that something I should try myself? Oh also, can I safely plug one of the modules to another rack to check that they work safely?

Thanks again

Thanks so much for the replies. I really like that TipTop case, although it looks like its sold out everywhere. There look to be a few on Reverb though.

Lots of research to do on these suggestions. I had not considered floor/expression options or an isolator but both make perfect sense. That Minimix seems cool with the panning options as well... never enough VCA's, right? Great stuff. I'm sure I will have more questions as I research.

I didn't mention in the first post, but I've done quite a bit of DIY building, pedals and amps. I know this is an option in eurorack, and I'm navigating options for retailers. I'm more of a "full kit" than a source parts guy. Seems like Thonk and Synthcube are the big players, Modular Addict... Are there any modules you would recommend staying away from as kits? Pedal kits sometimes get you 90-95% of the way there, but there will be a difference in the sound of an official vs clone. Is this the same in modular? Is this opening a can?

Any answers you'll be able to get to this will be wild guesses unfortunately, without being able to lay hands on the equipment in question with some test gear to find out what's gone wrong. That said, my guess from your description is that something went wrong in the power supply, since it seems to affect all modules, not just a specific one. I'd guess that using a 12V input instead of the 15V intellijel calls for meant it pulled more current from the input to make up the power difference, and as you loaded it up that accumulated too high and cooked something.

EDIT: oh, or it's also possible that the 12v universal adapter you used might not have been able to supply the current the rack wanted and cooked that adapter instead

Hey,

yesterday I was about to make a small video that showcases various modules I wanted to sell.
I could not find the power supply of my Palette 62HP and used a 12V universal adaptor instead.
Everything worked fine until I plugged a Noise tools : all of the other modules stopped flashing and the Noise started to make a lot of buzz sounds. I unplugged everything and now it seems that any module produces this sound. I can't say what's broken exactly and the various threads were too complicated for me to understand.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong? Someone is supposed to buy several modules from me today and I sincerely don't want to sell something I'm not sure is working properly.

Thanks in advance!

but if you've got a kid or grandkid that's fascinated with sound and electronic tinkering, these are >fantastic. Take it from someone who grew up with all sorts of electronic toys.
-- Lugia

Yeah, and as I mention, the manual that goes with it (which you can download for free) is probably the best practical set of guides to music generation electronics (and basic electronics in general) that I've ever seen in my 64 years.

In my opinion, perfect for a 10-12 year old.
--rw

Went off on this...first of all, starting with a Mantis as the cab rather than the Rackbrute:
ModularGrid Rack
Rather different architecture from a synthesizer. There's "sources", but you don't deal with them in quite the same way. And the same goes for modules.

TOP: this row is all about the main audio chain. The Monde preamp also contains an envelope follower with both positive AND negative envelope voltages, and the usual trig/gate setup. But this also can handle most anything at the input, given that you have a "combo XLR" there. After this is something just for the guitar: a Frequency Central Thermo Nuclear overdrive/distortion with an actual micro-tube in there. Then Beads for granular tampering, the DLD, and THE filter for something like this, 4ms's Spectral Multiband Resonator. Very stereo, very complex, very wild-sounding in this context. Also note: each of the past three modules also has a dual VCA (Veils architecture) available for outputs for better control over the signal levels going to the mixer. And the mixer is Toppobrillo's Minimix, six channels in (two are stereo) with panning on four, and AUTOpanning on two. And then at the end I put a Happy Nerding Isolator; since we're dealing with a guitar at the input and probably an amp output on the other end, I thought it was VERY important to have some DC and crud elimination at the output so that any groundloops and other crap are shunted by the Isolator's isolation transformers. It's also got your "main" stereo out pot AND the headphone preamp...and there's another on the mixer, also.

BOTTOM: Mostly "helpers" here. The first things are all pedal-related: a pair of ADDAC 301 Floor Controllers gives you a pair of expression pedal inputs, then a pair of the Strymon AA-1s allows stompboxes to be integrated into the signal; note also that there's a VCA pair for one of the two AA-1 outputs. Next, I put in a Temps Utile instead of the Pam's because I think it fits better in this context...where you want some basic sequencing, off-module control, and the like. And after that is the mayhem of the Freq Central Bartos Flur II, which uses all sorts of gates, triggers, CVs to generate trigger/gate patterns of its own. Then you've got a Klavis Mixwitch...a CV-controlled switcher x2 which can shift either CVs or audio between destinations, plus a number of other tricks. Next, four free-run LFOs, then Maths, another VCA pair, and a Klavis Quadigy for four channels of envelopes, and that there is the modulation core...loads of potential, including generative-type control capabilities. And last is the final effect...Uli's knockoff of the Bode Frequency Shifter, which not only makes clangers...but is also the secret to MASSIVE phasing sounds.

So...a little different, but definitely fun AND very usable for live gigs as well as the studio.

The Disting EX is great, and it looks like there will be a fix to my number one problem with it, but it's going to cost you a 1U slot.

-- Vow3ll

Oh man, that is SO awesome. Thanks for bringing to my attention. The Disting EX in my rack is SO INSANELY POWERFUL that it's stupifying - I constantly freeze up in the face of how many options it brings at any given time.

Not that a larger screen would completely fix that, but it might help me think a little bit more clearly about my options, lol.

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram
For my baby daughter Luna who fought very hard to be here

this user has left ModularGrid

Erica Synths has a series of educational modules for learning about electronic music generation. I’ll be doing all of them, and we started with their EDU oscillator, then did the envelope. Next is this one, their simple VCA . Even if you don’t buy the kit, I recommend you download the user manual, it’s a great practical guide to electronics in music.
Very serviceable dual VCA, if you need more this is a good choice, easy to build and inexpensive.
EDU VCA build
-- Ravenware

Good for Erica! Years ago, ARP had a series of separate boxed modules for the same general reason: teaching synthesis. You sort of see this with the Littlebits stuff as well. I applaud this, though...it might not be right for us old farts, but if you've got a kid or grandkid that's fascinated with sound and electronic tinkering, these are fantastic. Take it from someone who grew up with all sorts of electronic toys.

(delayed a bit due to some odd MG behavior)

+1 on tossing the Distings in favor of a Disting EX. Plus, when you yank the regular Distings, you're 3/4ths of the way to fitting it in the build. And Jim's spot-on as usual on the 2 and 3 hp-width modules; put several of those next to each other, and you're looking at lots of annoyance, particularly if you're expecting to use this rig in a live setting.

There's better ways to do this...wait a bit...
ModularGrid Rack
OK...now this is a lot better on ergonomics. I used the tile rows for a lot of things here, so what I'm planning to do here is to go over the single 3U row and then show how the tiles interface with that.

First off, there's the ES-8, on the left end for easy connection. Above that is a stereo input...oh, and some of these tiles might seem to be Intellijel-only, but I did check in all cases and Pulplogic panels ARE available where needed. Anyway, below the ES-8, etc...in other words, where the Pam's used to be...is a Temps Utile, very much like Pam's except it's got a few extra sequencing tricks up its sleeve. That's the master clock for the build, as well as a sequencer or two.

Next in the 3U are Xaoc's workhorse modulators, the Batumi and the Zadar, both of which have their expander modules here. However, what's going on above these is the "other LFO"...of a sort. By the stereo input, you'll see a tap tempo button, then a Syinsi clock module (yep, you can tap set it) feeds a pair of small 7-step sequencers which, in this case, are NOT sequencers but instead are functioning as "graphic LFOs" (or oscillators...depends on your clock rate) for odd modulation functions. And at the right end of the Schreibmaschine sequencers is a Syinsi crossfader which also features an inverted output...this is where the LFO, etc signals emerge, which allows you to crossfade all of this into some very complicated modulation signals...all out of a few tiles!

The Disting EX is next. But now, there's something going on under this, as you'll see a DC-coupled 3-in mixer feeding a pair of linear VCAs. This is a crossmod mixer for the Xaoc modulation modules, actually.

Then after that, there's a Doepfer utility module that combines a ring modulator (hence why this is right by the VCOs), sample and hold, and a slew limiter. Finally, we get to the FOUR VCOs in here...yep, four, and they're internally quantized. The Klavis Dual Waves mkii gets put in to get four oscillator signals in just 16 hp. Wavetable oscillators, at that. So, looking up from the VCOs, you'll notice a pair of Arcus dual VCAs that can be switched between linear and exponential response, and then a Syinsi 4-in mixer for summing the VCAs, if desired.

Back to the 3U row...after the VCOs, there's a Tiptop Forbidden Planet...which is a clone-ish of the nasty, gritty, LOADED with character Steiner-Parker Synthacon VCF. What's really fun about this is that you select the VCF response based on what input you've patched into. Then, sort of below that, you'll find a pair of I/O tiles for connecting external stompboxes (two...or one stereo one) and getting their outputs back into the synth; with some ultra-crazed stereo pedal, you can add way more sonic capability depending on which stompbox(es) you use, such as some of the Chase Bliss stuff, the Hologram, et al.

Now we're down toward the "output" end...you can see that tile pair at the bottom. The final mixer here is a Doepfer A-138s, which is a little 4-in/2-out mixer with panpots on each channel. Then at the end, the mixer can be used with a Happy Nerding FX Aid XL that's there for "global" effects such as reverb, chorus, and so on.

So...where did the drum modules go? Basically...away. If I left those in, this build would be VERY impossible...and would really only result in expense and cramped panel space. The advice I'll give there is this: get a drum machine. It's far better to sync one of those to the modular's clock, since a drum machine is set up specifically for rhythm production. You're not forcing your modular to be SO inclusive that you shortchange the instrument by blundering off into that trap. Hell, $300-ish can get you some hellacious percussion-in-a-box. And as such, it'll wail right along with the modular since it'll lock to the T_ u, no problem. Or use it as the master and drive the T_ u with it. Don't look at that as a compromise move, either...it really IS the proper solution, unless you like dropping a grand or so on something that should only cost $350. And if you want to tamper with it sonically...well, that's why that stereo input tile's there. Price didn't come out too hideous, either...didn't even crack $4k!

also a guitar player here...
rack brute is ok - but wastes 5hp of your rack with it's rack wart... get a tiptop mantis isnstead - only a little bit more expensive - but no rack wart so over 40hp more rack space - it'll also mean you don't have to go for micro modules - you may still be able to pick up a real rings - much better ergonomics

for guitar input - take a look at the sonicsmith converter ev1 - ears only does amplification to modular level and envelope following - the ev1 adds a vco and the best pitch to cv converter available at the moment...

as a guitarist it's a good idea to be able to have some control with your feet (as you hands will be occupied with the guitar - expression pedals and on/off switches etc - addac are the people for that - or doepfer

if you already have the zoia, why would you want to duplicate it in the rack - especially as it takes up so much space - which is better used for other things - I'd swap the quad vca for a veils (should still be able to get one), 2hp smaller and better features imo

you may or may not need an output module, depending on what you are sending the signal to (most modern mixers and audio interfaces can cope with modular levels perfectly well - so unless you need balanced outputs the most you should need is some passive attenuators...

other than that filters and utilities (think plumbing - a rack without utilities is like a house without plumbing) would be what I would fill the rest of the space up with

Yeah, another beginner thread... seduced by potted plant youtubers and an appreciation for random unpredictability brought on by middle age and career stagnation, here I am.

I am looking to build a system capable of interesting guitar/sound processing (more pad/swell/euphoria than bit crush/mangle) and some light generative sequencing that I could either trigger with or react to using processed guitar.

I've been playing guitar professionally for 25+ years, but I highly doubt this will ever leave my office. It's really just a personal indulgence more than a gigging rig.

I have a few synths already and a cabinet full of guitar pedals. Pieces of note, Moog Grandmother, Deepmind, Arturia beatstep/minilab/keylab controllers, Microcosm, Zoia, Strymon Big Sky/Timeline/Mobius...

I've been working my way through Comparative Irrelevance's 3 module videos, reading posts that mention guitar/generative, and just generally dabbling in ambient music for a few years. I really like the CI videos where he is processing external audio or setting up generative pads and plucks.

My purchasing plans will have to follow a phase system.

First phase: I am considering the Arturia 6u Rackbrute. I've used their products for years and have some brand loyalty. I do wish there was some built in utility like the Intellijel's but the price and I like the price and size... For getting the guitar into the rack, Ears. Then a Dual Looping Delay and Monsoon to get the clouds flavor in a smaller space. Also thinking of picking up the nRings early on since it's so present in the CI videos I like, and uJack to get the sound out.

Phase 2: Ornament & Crime, Maths, Quad VCA, Strymon AA.1 and Pam's.

From there, who knows. I love Zoia, so I'm tempted by the Euroburo. I really like the Mimeophon in the 3 module videos... But this is well into the future.

My question is, what am I going to regret not getting in these first couple phases? I know I'm probably overlooking some obvious stuff. Honestly, I'm really working off the CI videos in choices. Particularly episodes 50 and 87, but also 3, 19, 25, 34, 67, 138 to name a few.

Here's what I've got so far...

ModularGrid Rack

I know I need VCA's, clock, mult, and quantizer. I think I have some of that covered but would really appreciate any input you have. Thanks, from a middle age noob.

I love it as a LFO, i have spent close to 2 K for several complex, modulateable LFOs before discovering Plaits LFO mode - all the weird CV shapes you can dream of.
-- znort101

OK, another feature I wasn't aware of... It's in firmware 1.1. I checked and mine is that version. I actually checked by enabling colour blind mode, also in 1.1, and it worked ;-)

I love it as a LFO, i have spent close to 2 K for several complex, modulateable LFOs before discovering Plaits LFO mode - all the weird CV shapes you can dream of.

Nice demo that really shows off how versatile Plaits is! Some people find the sound out of it flat, but it's a very good base to work with. Its mini-Rings mode + Ruina Versio = instant metal, for example.

I really like the cello player - it's exactly the sound Autechre uses here and there and I need to try and copy it. Any hints are welcome.

I've been using Plaits next to one analog osc, a drum machine and a noise generator for three months now because that's all I've got. Just now that I've ordered my next batch (which includes a Klavis Twin Waves mkii), your video made me realise I had completely forgotten about the internal LPG/VCFA. Now there's a completely new dimension to my use of Plaits ready for exploration...

You can turn it around in your rack by clicking the rotate button - i don't know if there's a different faceplate for the inverted one but it should work as kind of a fix either way
-- Itisdud

Thanks, I didn't realise that!

It would also be nice if the inverted version was available too, so that my rack on MG looks like my actual rack.
-- mbl77

You can turn it around in your rack by clicking the rotate button - i don't know if there's a different faceplate for the inverted one but it should work as kind of a fix either way

It would also be nice if the inverted version was available too, so that my rack on MG looks like my actual rack.

Hello dear community, I've challenged myself for approx. a month recolting super nice spots on Plaits of Mutable. There are a lot of different kind of sound, showcasing the wide variety of timbre Plaits can offer.

I prefer the bottom one, but I'd dump the ladik mixer and the blank panel and add another 4* mono channels or a 4*stereo channels depending on needs...
-- JimHowell1970

Are you referring to the AI Matrix Mixer?
That‘s surprising in the past you were striking me as one of the big proponents of Matrix Mixers Jim.

-- Cangore

Haha no I was confused between the 2 cases - I mistook the AI Matrix mixer for the Ladik m-053 from the upper case...

but anyway I still prefer the bottom one - when you, inevitably, need to expand further then the tex-mix makes much more sense... as you can just add more channels rather than having to buy a whole new mixer!

@Straticah

There is several possibility for MIDI input usage. You can play one note and use the dimension to scale to chords with all kinds of options and chords modes. You can also drone with 4 voices controlled in midi and i am working currently on a new mode with integrated VCA+ADSR so you will get some kind of a full synth voice with 4 notes polyphony within the module.

Cheers.

I prefer the bottom one, but I'd dump the ladik mixer and the blank panel and add another 4* mono channels or a 4*stereo channels depending on needs...
-- JimHowell1970

Are you referring to the AI Matrix Mixer?
That‘s surprising in the past you were striking me as one of the big proponents of Matrix Mixers Jim.

why? - tex-mix is expandable - and eventually you'll probably go past this small 9u rack at which point you can just add more channels modules as you need them - which is what I'm doing: I currently have 2 * 4mono channels and a 4stereo channels - and another mono channels to debug - currently squealing like a pig... and (3hp) douts are very useful!!