Hi Guys - I've been quiet on the forum for months as I've been busy putting together my new concept album, made on modular and MPC - hope you find something you like!

Bandcamp: https://bit.ly/3ILMeKY
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3NnVEzN
Apple Music: https://apple.co/35dQ2a0

To be honest, when I first saw the setup my though was Hermod, PAMS... then bring down an FXaid, the Cosmotronic and Caio.
One case for most of your inputs, sequencing and for your final FX and outputs to whatever.
I do think you'll have no problem sequencing all the things regardless what you decide for the drums (all good choices of course).
Cheers!
-- Dub007

Thanks for the feedback...Still struggling a bit on what the best 'extension' use of the 3U might be but appreciate the response!

JB

I'd go with a full size Supercell, which has built-in VCAs, CV ins for every parameter, ability to send one source of CV to all parameters and attenuate each one. If you have the HP, it's a great option.

I don't know all the modules included here, except 7 that I own. So, on my part, some simple advice and opinions; other modularists who regularly intervene in these forums will be able to complete or help more knowledgeably (I have two or three names in mind ;)

The design of the whole seems to me well balanced. We can see a certain experience thanks to the path already taken with the virtual modular.

Concerning the power supply, no problem. It is generally advised not to exceed 70% to 80% of the available power. (Sometimes less, up to 50% if all the modules were working together in the same patch, and with all the lights on, etc. Which is quite rare).

The only important type of module that I don't see here is an active multiple (Buff Mult type): indispensable for pitch cvs or other signals requiring high precision.

The Disting Mk4 should be kept, it will always be useful even in a larger configuration. And for example in this setup: if you need a delay or a Bit crusher. It's a little 'comfort' module that is good to have in reserve. That's what made it so successful.

A controller, or a manual trigger, could also be recommended. This is the interest of the physical modular, beyond the tweaks, to be in direct contact with the physical dimension. See LS1lightstrip, Ears, TP8... while waiting for a Planar, or a Tetrapad for example.

My advice would also be not to buy everything at once. Restrict yourself, at first, to the ones you are sure to want absolutely.

First of all, to be able to take the time to read the manuals well. This allows you to concentrate on mastering them (for example Marbles, a wonderful module, very powerful; or even just Rings which is user-friendly but has a lot of resources). I'm talking less about 'knowledge' than about 'mastery'.

You have to get used to the physical approach of the modules, a dimension naturally absent from their software version. And gradually, things will seem less abstract to you. In the real world, it is easier to see what you really want.

It can also be useful to notice the differences between the various manufacturing qualities, depending on the modules or the manufacturers.

So, your theoretical approach seems to me to be globally good, which is quite rare at the beginning. Your experience as a 'software modular user' has been beneficial. Your only small deficiencies are currently linked to this non-experience of the physical dimension of modular: which is logical today :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

How does a shop get added to the list of such places that might sell a module?

-- DJMaytag

How do you get people to read stickies ?

-- toodee

The closest sticky post I saw was regarding being added as a manufacturer. Nothing about being added as a store, and that post hasn't been responded to. from a month ago: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/801

In your user preferences you find a drop down menu Country Selection.
Select a country within the EU there.
Click here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/edit
-- modulargrid

-- DJMaytag

How do you get people to read stickies ?

--- Voltage control all the things ---

If you want run them into your daw, check out the ES-8 or ES-9 modules from expert sleepers. They’re Eurorack format audio interfaces with a lot of i/o. Super useful especially for small or hybrid setups.

I'd not worry too much about an 'audio interface module' - they aren't necessarily needed

first: try the individual modules

if you get clipping (unwanted/unintended distortion) then try second: if your audio interface or mixer has a pad function try this - otherwise try passive attenuators or vcas (you hopefully already have these, but if not attenuators are inexpensive)

if you are still getting clipping then try third: output modules - the bad news is not all are the same - if you've got to this point and your audio interface or mixer is expecting balanced signals - then look towards either ladik or happy nerding as they have some relatively inexpensive dual ones - you might want to look at the brand nw2s - they have some audio interfaces (including balanced ones) with a lot of i/o - other than that I don't think there's a whole lot of options - if it's not expecting balanced signals - then I would try to determine the source of the noise - it could be ground loops - there's a lot been written on that - in which case I believe it would be really useful to look at upgrading your audio interface/mixer to balanced i/o

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi Warmofada,

I agree with Plragde about "wrong" questions, they don't exist! Only wrong answers might exist, so my apologies to you if this is a "wrong" answer ;-). Therefore don't worry, that's why there is this forum :-) So "shoot" your questions at us, we try our best to respond and you are welcome :-)

Still, I like to stress out the importance of testing as many as possible modules in Perfect Circuit, then if you are hesitating about module A, B or C (just an example) then of course you can ask their help to advise you, however test first, it gives you a much better understanding of each module that you might consider.

Good luck with this modular adventure, it sounds pretty exciting what you are sharing here with us. Besides all the excitement, I wish you good luck and lots of modular fun, welcome to modular synthesizers, one of the best inventions :-) Enjoy your first abroad travel, I hope it will be a good memory for you in the future! Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I will be there in end of May, so until then maybe I will be the boring guy asking lose and wrong questions, i'm trying not to spam anything.
-- warmofada

Don't worry about asking questions or about asking "wrong questions". You have some unique constraints, you are clearly thinking a lot about actual purchases and not just fantasizing, you are paying attention to what people are saying. I have not been to Perfect Circuit in person but from what I have read, they are helpful and honest.

Hi, so I’d like to eventually build a drum rack and wanted to see if it’s possible to track say 8 or more modules individually. Anything out there with multiple outs so I could connect to a mixer or interface?

Grateful for your time!

Hi Warmofada,

Sorry to hear that the availability of Eurorack modules is such an issue for you, where you live, though Plragde is right that every where the availability of items is getting an issue.

I know you mentioned your available budget of 1 till 1.5k (which is a bit too less by the way for Eurorack), I still would like to advise you to go at least for a 3 row-rack casing if you didn't bought the casing yet, rather buy a larger rack with a fewer modules to start with than when in the near future you realise that you need more HP space, which will happen, guaranteed! ;-)

It's very difficult to advise on which modules you should take. You are totally right, the current choice of modules, though huge, it's crazy, it's close to impossible to have a good view of what is on the market and what fits one wishes, requirements, not even mentioning to make a "good" (what is good?) choice out of such a huge assortment of possible modules. I made myself a list of about 2500 modules over the last 3 years or so to try to stay focused on what I feel is kind of interesting, 2500 modules! That's crazy... out of that list of 2500 I feel it's a nightmare to make the right choice, so sometimes if I am too lazy to choose between two modules, I just take them both ;-) Then still 2498 modules left to choose from the next time... however every year so many new modules are produced that one year later there are 2698 modules to choose from, etcetera...

Here in modulargrid.net are currently a little 9700 modules listed, that's even crazier! ;-)

What I miss from your above explanation (but I might have overlooked it, so please do forgive me if I did) are filters... did you consider one or two nice filters? Well, go at least for two filters, one is just a bit too meagre, minimum is two I would say. Look into Doepfer filters they are affordable and can sound pretty well, how about that SEM filter A-106-5 which is a bit milder filter than the Wasp filter A-124, both filters are great and you can find my review report about them on my website (see link below my signature). If you allow yourself a bit more expensive filter module then consider the Erica Synths - Black Dual VCF, a serious great dual filter that can be either used in series or in parallel. There are so many filters, I can't all discuss them here :-)

Don't buy too many modules in one shot though. You need to build up experience, that costs time and once you gained some experience you will see that here and there you start to adjust your view on certain modules and that your requirements might shift a bit. I understand you are a bit limited to your shopping possibilities but still try to keep that a bit in mind.

If you go and visit one or more modular shops in the USA, then try to test as many as possible modules in those shops. Don't only buy them, testing them is so much more important to give you that first instant feeling about a module, how the user interface is, how it sounds, your first impressions are pretty important before you should buy a module. So test as many as possible modules even if you are not going to buy them, that's fine, keep testing till they close the shop or till you have to take your plane back home. Then when you come back home and start to save money again for the next batch of modules then you took valuable test experience with you that you can then use to decide for the second batch of modules what you might want to buy.

By the way, do you know the brand EMW from Brazil? Not sure if you live nearby Brazil or perhaps even in Brazil? Then perhaps, those modules might be easier for you to buy. If you don't know EMW yet, check them out, it's a Brazilian modular manufacturer who makes reasonable Eurorack modules. I consider them the kind of South-American-Doepfer :-) I have a few modules from them but it's a bit difficult to get them here in Germany. I still try to get a filter and a VCO from them.

Besides testing as many as possible modules as you can, the second best advice is to buy a bigger case if you haven't bought that yet.

Good luck, enjoy your time in the USA and enjoy the modular time in those shops :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

-- GarfieldModular

Nice text, really appreciate your time to help!
I know I'm a bit loose and lost in this, unfortunately I already have the case so I will be stuck at the beginning with the 2 row, and just got that because of limit desk space, my wife would kill me if I got a giant rack out of nowhere hahaha I love DIY wood work, so the next I will probably jump in that hole.

I just ordered the Squid and the Pamelas, I made some extra jobs and still have $1 to 1,2k left to play, I was thinking not to order anything more and just grab something in the spot with the advice from the sellers (hope they are nice and honest), with the schedule I just planned a trip to Perfect Circuit in LA.

It's too sad that I will travel without playing with the most part of my modules, so I will be blind with what I really need. It is not ideal, but even if I grab something not so good for my system it will have value, and eventually I could even make profit selling here, probably would take time but I never ended up stuck with nothing.

I will stick with your advice and find a good VCF, and with the advice from plragde don't invest in another voice, makes sense.

I will be there in end of May, so until then maybe I will be the boring guy asking lose and wrong questions, i'm trying not to spam anything.

Furthermore, I know the EMW stuff, here we have the Reco synth (https://www.recosynth.com/) they make an amazing analog drum machine, the Vinicius stuff (https://viniciuselectrik.com/) the order time is LONG!!! 9 months now waiting from a direct with him order and Pantalalabs (http://pantalalabs.com/) which is more to the DIY side, good price and practical. I will have one of each of them in the future, but the opportunity to buy without taxes in US is just something that never happens (it will be my first time outside my country), 3 years of work to manage the money to do it!!

A reasonable rule of thumb (not to be taken strictly) is one voice per row. I would count the Salmple as more than one voice, though it's hard to put a precise number to it. The Lizard VCO is another. Do you need more than that? If so, maybe consider the Noise Reap Paradox and the WMD C4RBN. I have read that Optomix is difficult to get hold of these days...
-- plragde

I considered the Optomix because they were available in Perfect circuit. Now they are out of stock :(

You are right, I will not invest in another voice, I'm going to keep reading and searching.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

In your user preferences you find a drop down menu Country Selection.
Select a country within the EU there.
Click here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/edit
-- modulargrid

Hi Smashburn,

I agree here with Jim for almost 100%, that 1% I don't agree is that you should still buy that large Eurorack case, the HP space you are going to need sooner or later anyway ;-)

But yes, putting all those Moogs in a large Eurorack not sure if that's financially a great choice. Or was this just for fun? Some more background information on "this project" might be useful :-)

Have fun with your Moogs and perhaps consider a separate Eurorack case for some nice Eurorack modules. Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Warmofada,

Sorry to hear that the availability of Eurorack modules is such an issue for you, where you live, though Plragde is right that every where the availability of items is getting an issue.

I know you mentioned your available budget of 1 till 1.5k (which is a bit too less by the way for Eurorack), I still would like to advise you to go at least for a 3 row-rack casing if you didn't bought the casing yet, rather buy a larger rack with a fewer modules to start with than when in the near future you realise that you need more HP space, which will happen, guaranteed! ;-)

It's very difficult to advise on which modules you should take. You are totally right, the current choice of modules, though huge, it's crazy, it's close to impossible to have a good view of what is on the market and what fits one wishes, requirements, not even mentioning to make a "good" (what is good?) choice out of such a huge assortment of possible modules. I made myself a list of about 2500 modules over the last 3 years or so to try to stay focused on what I feel is kind of interesting, 2500 modules! That's crazy... out of that list of 2500 I feel it's a nightmare to make the right choice, so sometimes if I am too lazy to choose between two modules, I just take them both ;-) Then still 2498 modules left to choose from the next time... however every year so many new modules are produced that one year later there are 2698 modules to choose from, etcetera...

Here in modulargrid.net are currently a little 9700 modules listed, that's even crazier! ;-)

What I miss from your above explanation (but I might have overlooked it, so please do forgive me if I did) are filters... did you consider one or two nice filters? Well, go at least for two filters, one is just a bit too meagre, minimum is two I would say. Look into Doepfer filters they are affordable and can sound pretty well, how about that SEM filter A-106-5 which is a bit milder filter than the Wasp filter A-124, both filters are great and you can find my review report about them on my website (see link below my signature). If you allow yourself a bit more expensive filter module then consider the Erica Synths - Black Dual VCF, a serious great dual filter that can be either used in series or in parallel. There are so many filters, I can't all discuss them here :-)

Don't buy too many modules in one shot though. You need to build up experience, that costs time and once you gained some experience you will see that here and there you start to adjust your view on certain modules and that your requirements might shift a bit. I understand you are a bit limited to your shopping possibilities but still try to keep that a bit in mind.

If you go and visit one or more modular shops in the USA, then try to test as many as possible modules in those shops. Don't only buy them, testing them is so much more important to give you that first instant feeling about a module, how the user interface is, how it sounds, your first impressions are pretty important before you should buy a module. So test as many as possible modules even if you are not going to buy them, that's fine, keep testing till they close the shop or till you have to take your plane back home. Then when you come back home and start to save money again for the next batch of modules then you took valuable test experience with you that you can then use to decide for the second batch of modules what you might want to buy.

By the way, do you know the brand EMW from Brazil? Not sure if you live nearby Brazil or perhaps even in Brazil? Then perhaps, those modules might be easier for you to buy. If you don't know EMW yet, check them out, it's a Brazilian modular manufacturer who makes reasonable Eurorack modules. I consider them the kind of South-American-Doepfer :-) I have a few modules from them but it's a bit difficult to get them here in Germany. I still try to get a filter and a VCO from them.

Besides testing as many as possible modules as you can, the second best advice is to buy a bigger case if you haven't bought that yet.

Good luck, enjoy your time in the USA and enjoy the modular time in those shops :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

make noise appear to have just shipped some optomix...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I hear what you're saying. It is pretty clear I will outgrow this case. I'm going to ease into this and buy a subset of the modules, spend some time with those, and re-evaluate. Maybe I'll completely change my plan or decide I don't even want to proceed (I doubt it though).

I wanted to have a solid plan for fitting everything I needed into that case. It was going to be "the rack". I think this was partially to establish a maximum budget on this because it is pretty darn expensive, but it's leading to bad compromises like buying a module I probably won't like to "fill in the gaps". The fact is I'll be spreading my purchases out over time and at some point I will have the budget for more if I want them.

I think I may stick with this case though. Maybe it's stupid but for some reason I like the 1U form factor, and this case seems relative easy to transport, which is a factor for me. You can actually join two of this model of case together, so my plan is when I outgrow the first one I'll buy another (probably one horizontal and one vertical which seems like a common approach?). If I'm seriously thinking about buying the Disting, it might mean it's time to get that second case!

PS - Yeah I had Stages in my virtual rack at one point. I think I will pick one up eventually. Thanks to Softube Modular and VCV Rack I am already a Mutable Instruments fanboy.

Why only 2 dfams?
Be better to just get 3, 3 piece sound studios, or 4, 2 piece this way you get 2 subs, 2 moms, and 4 dfams

A reasonable rule of thumb (not to be taken strictly) is one voice per row. I would count the Salmple as more than one voice, though it's hard to put a precise number to it. The Lizard VCO is another. Do you need more than that? If so, maybe consider the Noise Reap Paradox and the WMD C4RBN. I have read that Optomix is difficult to get hold of these days...

Hi everyone, can I get some help.

I already bought the Pamela's + Squid sample. The rest is in the wishlist.

I finished the first part:
- Put a INJCTR + 2hp MMF to plug my guitar and envelope
- PNW + SQUIDSample + Low pass gate = combo sample + percussion

I'm between a joystick or another voice. Feel bad to have such a rack and have a direct 1 voice.

Anyone with more experience can say an opinion if it's possible to fit another voice, which modules should I look for?

Looks like I have a decent amount of Attenuator, one VCF for the first voice and one for guitar envelope, 3 LFOs with a multi sounds good enough, 2 adsr looks ok and just 2 simple VCA . With what I read, to complete a ''simple'' new voice, I would need a small VCO, more VCAs and a filter.

ModularGrid Rack

I haven't spent much time with Beads, but Kammerl is a fantastic thing if you spend the time to get it down. A lot of people get intimidated with it, as when you first use it, it can be like a bucking bronco that hasn't had lunch yet. But well worth sticking with in the end. Super fun - there might be something out there similar, but that's on me if I don't know it.

Oh sick! Dude, thanks for the info on those that’s really helpful! Also, I have a Beads, Kammerl surely offers more in the beat repeat sector ya?

oh my...

Sorry , forgot to mention the addition of an FM cv control on the Typhoon variant is really a huge factor for me.

Salut!

As usual, it's in French with uk subtitles :) I've to admit that it's not the more complex/featured drive module but what it does, it does it well!

-- -ADR-

Very nice - Merci!

Agreed on the topic of ergonomics. The original Grids was a lot bigger than it needed to be in my opinion, but these micro clones that aim to be literally as small as possible overshoot the mark.
-- jgoney

uGrids is by far the "u" module that is least impacted by the downsizing (maybe tied with uO_C) , as there was a lot of room on the original. The main thing to consider is if you like the feel of the larger knobs or not.

I would get one with sliders, so Typhoon or Monsoon - much more playable for the minute variations that can send Kammerl into different places so easily

The big advantage as far as firmware with Typhoon is that you can have all the alternate firmware on board at the same time, so you'll have Parasites as well to play with. That's here in case you haven't seen it https://mqtthiqs.github.io/parasites/clouds.html

Typhoon's VCAs come in handy as well for expressive control.

Full disclosure: I'm Calsynth, and sell all of the above, but that's my personal opinion, not a sales pitch. You'll be well served by Michigan if you go that route.

Looking at picking up a Clouds/clone to run Kammerl firmware on. Hard to tell which version is the most comfortable to tweak without having them all in front of me so turning to your recommendations. I hate trimmers, but if it's for set and forget stuff like gain in, output level, wet/dry, then it's fine. Looking at uBurst from Momo, Typhoon, and Monsoon from Michigan Synth Works. Or maybe even just an OG Clouds. Thanks for your insight!

Received and built one. Yes, useful.

Be warned the company became untrustworthy for ordering since 2021, they shipped many empty boxes to many customers with wrong addresses in order to generate Covid slowed down false tracking data. $500 in unsent orders from me.

A couple of good transactions with @-ADR- and @gusargrk this month. Good people.

If you already plan to fill this case, take a bigger one.
Obviously you won't like the Disting, so i'm not sure you need to try (I did and just lost my time).
Mutable Stages would fit nice.
This selection looks pretty solid so just start and you will see.

Salut!

As usual, it's in French with uk subtitles :) I've to admit that it's not the more complex/featured drive module but what it does, it does it well!

For years, I've spent a lot of time with Softube Modular, VCV Rack, Voltage Modular, and AAS Multiphonics CV-1. I love them, but I really want to put my hands on real cables and knobs. I think it’s finally time to make the jump. I’ve been researching and thinking about this carefully for months and I’m starting to arrive at a plan I feel really good about. But I don’t have any experience with hardware, so I need feedback and a reality check before I start spending money.

Here’s my latest plan: ModularGrid Rack

More context:

• I am planning to get the Intellijel 7U 104HP preformance case. Do I need to be concerned about power usage of modules with this case?

• I am all about sequencing. I want the option for MIDI input to play along or sync to an external clock, but I’ll often do everything inside the rack with internal clocks and gate / CV sequencers. I want my sequencers to be straightforward, hands-on, and inherently modular, so I can mess around with independent clock rates and resets and boolean gate logic and wiring things together in wacky ways while twisting knobs that always show me their value so I don't get lost. I also like creative limitations. I have a strong sense the Tiptop Z8000 will fit me well as my first CV sequencer, but I don’t know much about the brand.

• I love generative/evolving patches and controlled chaos.

• Several choices were made to support up to four voices. For example: bass, lead, and two percussion. Sometimes I’ll do mono synths and multi-layer drones. I want flexibility to approach things in many different ways. Hence the two quad VCAs and mixing options.

• It's been suggested I put the knobs that I think I’ll use the most on the bottom row for easier access, so I’ve tried to do that (I can only imagine what it will really be like though).

• I didn’t get any multiples. I am hoping it’s fine to split triggers once or twice with Tiptop stackcables. How many time can you split gates and triggers that way? What about CV? I know this might be an issue for pitch, but I’ll be using quantizers so I think it’s manageable.

• I do not want menu diving. I want this to be an instrument I play, completely unlike the feel of using a DAW or software. The Disting is a huge compromise in this regard, and I’m sure I’m going to get frustrated with it (I’ll print out the manual), but it’s clear there is no perfect rack and something is always going to be “missing”. I feel like the Disting can help me figure out where to go next by trying out different module functions and figuring out what is really missing that I should invest in later (when I probably inevitably buy a second rack to put on top of this one).

I have a ton of other thoughts and lots of questions but this post is getting too long so I’ll stop here. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

is this recasing them in a 120hp 12u case??? seems like a waste of money if it is...

if you already have the moog semis I would keep them in their cases and spend the money on a smaller case and some other brands modules to extend their functionality

but it is your money to do what you like with...

Paired with Matriarch, Grandmother, Sub 37 and Sub Phatty

A new unit from Neutral Labs, their Meg. It's a wave manipulator module, produces interesting effects on audio or control voltage signals.
A very straightforward and fast build, pretty good beginner kit.
C.K. builds a Neutral Labs Meg

It's now 50€ more expensive than before at 250€.
Still a great delay for this price

You were quicker than me :)
Note to self: no posting after 10pm
To be honest, when I first saw the setup my though was Hermod, PAMS... then bring down an FXaid, the Cosmotronic and Caio.
One case for most of your inputs, sequencing and for your final FX and outputs to whatever.
I do think you'll have no problem sequencing all the things regardless what you decide for the drums (all good choices of course).
Cheers!

Looks like you're having a good time with what you have and would continue to with what you're proposing.
What's your thought on a sequencing / final mix rack? Kind of a beginning and end of chain type of thing?
With the addition of BitBox you also add 8 potential additional outputs and having a clean space to bring that all together could be cool.
If you go with the Hermod (no exp. but read/see good things) does that impact how, when, how often you use other modules that can clock, control, etc... and is that their best use or could a dedicated or just something else work better?
Maybe some/all of this also depends if you're using a DAW or MIDI in someway?

-- Dub007

Hmm...great points of thought for sure. Do you have any ideas for a module fulfilling that mix rack idea? In my studio setup, I have everything receiving start/stop from Ableton, but can also 'drive' from my Beatstep Pro to my modular setup (which has PAMs), but wondering if I can switch that 'drive' control from BSP to Hermod and then use BSP to sequence other things as well but maybe I'm overextending the sequencing capabilities by doing that? Was thinking if I added Queen of Pentacles I could use the drum outs from BSP to 'dedicate' to that module (or the three substitute modules I call out above).

I am in the DAW most of the time now when I'm in the studio but would like to possibly perform at some point without having to taking a laptop (which I currently don't even have because I'm on a desktop in my studio).

Definitely open to suggestions all the way around :)

JB

Sjajan pedalboard! :)

Notes:
- Signal Path isn't linear, pedals are arranged by needs relative to their interactive features.
- ProCo Rat and Fuzz Factory are placeholders for home-built alternatives.

So, what started out as one Rackbrute 6U, grew to add a 3U as well and of course I have filled up both and now have bought another Rackbrute 6U. The images below include what I have so far. I'm considering adding Queen of Pentacles to the second Rackbrute (which will fill the 30 HP remaining nicely) OR the combination of SSF Entity Percussion/BIA/Befaco Kickall (opinions on those options...or a better one?)

ModularGrid Rack
ModularGrid Rack

I am trying to conceive of a use for the Rackbrute 3U and thinking of some sort of sequencing/modulation unit that sits in front of my two Rackbrute 6Us. Note I also have a Beatstep Pro. I moved the Quadrax + Expander from the 6U above to the 3U and replaced it with the BitBox Micro (on first 6U)...also already had PAMs with the mmMIDI and moved it as well to the 3U

Would appreciate any guidance or suggestions on what to fill up my Rackbrute 3U with. Here is what I had in mind below:
ModularGrid Rack
Would love to hear feedback on any and all of the above...

JB

Instruo's description to me sounds like they're all on a independent frequencies but you cannot change the ratio between them. So if one is 100Hz and the next 120Hz, if you go down one octave it'll be 50Hz and 60Hz.
-- Arrandan

Hi Arrandan,

Indeed, nicely summarised :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Jorge,

I guess that's it indeed: a semantic thing :-) And as it seems this might be for each of us a slightly bit different ;-) Fair enough.

I use the Øchd in rather large and complicated patches where I need lots of modulation (and have a lack on LFOs) then I like to use the Øchd and where it's not too obvious when I turn that one knob that all behave the same but as a listener you still notice a difference.

Indeed for 4 HP the Øchd offers pretty much.

Anyway, I wish you lots of fun with Øchd and have fun patching around with your modular system, modular synths are the best there is ;-) Kind regards, Garfield.

@JimHowell1970 Ah! Didn't know trigger delays were a thing. Thanks!

I just ordered a bunch of stuff and split the order over Thomann, Schneidersladen and Escape from Noise. All sent to Belgium. These three combined offer most brands, but some esoteric ones, I needed to order directly (Feedback modules and Lakik, specifically). Anything specific you're looking for?

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Thread: Patch #1

Eveil

potentially yes - there is a chance that the switch could be slightly slower than the sample and hold - in all likelihood it will be the other way round though - the answer is to experiment

if you find that you do have this issue then a trigger delay is the answer - either a dedicated one like the doepfer a-162 or in a more general module that can provide this functionality - you can create one in stages, for example

Imagine I have a sequential switch with four inputs and one output. The four inputs are each receiving a different LFO. The output of the seq. switch leads to a sample and hold.

Question:
If I send the same trigger to the seq. switch and the S+H, do I have to worry about the possibility that the S+H would capture the seq. switch output before the seq. switch actually switches to the next LFO?

thanks for your fast response. but still no EU vendors ...