I am a little confused, so I am just going to ask directly, are you SteveHand talking about yourself in the third person?

I have no agenda here, other than to satisfy my curiosity :)

Or cut a hole in the back of the Palette case?

Sorry... couldn't resist hehe!

I was looking for a decent company for synth parts, kits and other sundries and found Exploding Shed!

Absolutely fantastic!! Highly recommended!!

https://www.exploding-shed.com

We could do with a decent company with good people behind it here in the UK too :)

Ok clear. Thanks.
Considering that in future upgrade certainly I'll buy the new version of Veils, you say that I could recover the two hp using the Links instead of the 2hp mix or do you have better ideas for that remaining space?

Oh yes, good calls on all of those!!

Spotted a very expensive QMMG in the marketplace the other day - eek! Is there really nothing else like this?

I have lost a lot of friends over recent years, it's absolutely devastating, you don't know what it is like until it happens. I was warned about it, one day you are fine and everyone around you is fine, then all of a sudden half your friends are dead or seriously ill. The same thing happens in eras of famous actors, for example. While I wish no one, not even the total assholes, any ill will... it's not going to be long before some Euro Heros start to go.

This is a bit morbid, sorry, but it is part of life, I believe we should talk about it a little more.

Steve Reich's getting some well justified criticism nowadays for his cultural attitudes (edited to add, it's probably just clearer to say he's made some racist comments, or been reported to), but nonetheless I found myself ripping him off this evening in a jam for a friend, give it a listen here:

https://stevehand.bandcamp.com/track/for-danielle-take-one

Lots of clipping, probably needs editing, the levels are all off, but somehow it comes together pretty ok, at least I think so! Like a lot of my other tunes lately I'll probably re-record it, we'll see if the vibes remain.

In this case, made with:

ModularGrid Rack

First patch with Alright Devices Zzzorb. What a cool filter! Immediately approachable and serious cv fun within minutes.

For this patch, DPO plays through Zzzorb, then on to Clouds and Mimeophon. Make Noise Rene feeds Cloud 1v/oct for our little sequence. Trident, Odessa, and ochd feed cv to Zzzorb.

Just plain fun!

Thanks for all the kind words. Feels nice to connect with Telharmonic after not really getting it at first.

17 minutes... an elusive goal! :-)

this user has left ModularGrid

Agree with you Lugia and the MS-20 mini that I played around with in a shop a few years ago was fun and I actually liked it better than the KARP Odyssey and 2600 there. Now what are your thoughts on the Korg SQ-64 sequencer? That one looks interesting but I prefer in rack modular sequencers. Anyways, as I have fallen down the modular rabbit hole now, I've been more focused on developing skills and music there. My Richter Anti-Oscillator and Dual Borg Filter get me the best of both worlds with cross between MS-20 and Buchla sounds so all good. Still, at some point after I have a larger studio space, would not mind adding a Korg MS-20 to my setup.

Thanks Garfield :-)

Yeah, I wanted larger modules that interest me so a much larger rack was mandatory. I did not want to repeat the mistake of getting only a 6U case when 12u was required. Now I feel better- with the new MDLR 14U case coming soon and the Doepfer Monster Base case, that should give me 400HP to play with even after adding the new modules and sequencers/mixers/support modules. Now I need a bigger place to live to house future gear. That should put off buying much more until end of next year. Maybe I get another Doepfer monster base plus 14U monster case on top of that. But want portable modular cases- beyond 14u makes carry difficult. Of course with covid lockdowns, it may be years until live performance venues open again.

Hi Sacguy71,

Looks great :-) The rack is already nearly half full, before the end of 2021 you need another monster case ;-)

Have fun and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Plus, the Qx module offers the Quadra functions that didn't make it into the Quadrax, notably the envelope start/end pulses that allow chaining EGs. And even with that, the Quadrax/Qx STILL fits into less space than the Quadra and its expander.

ENVF is difficult to find here in Europe.
-- frankbartoli

Looks pretty easy to me: https://www.planktonelectronics.com/store/envf/

Also, why add another set of inputs when there are these expensive Vermona ones already there? I can think of lots more sensible things to do with another 2 hp, and all that's needed here is JUST the envelope follower. No point in the rest of an Ears being in there.

I still like the MS-20, frankly. Over the years, I've had four...two were the original version 1, with one of those being bought new back in 1980, and the other two are sitting on the other side of my studio right now, with those being Minis. You hear a lot of hot poop about how the Mini doesn't sound right, etc etc etc...

BUNK! What they sound like is a NEW MS-20, and NOT one that's been sitting around for 40-ish years. You have a lot of "VITNAGE RAR W0W"-types who claim that the Mini doesn't sound like it should. But lemme tell ya, if you went back in a time machine and unboxed a virgin, straight-from-Hamamatsu '20, it would sound EXACTLY like an MS-20 Mini. No lie.

Granted, yes, a proper modular is always better. But there ARE things that the MS-20 can do that modulars CANNOT. For example, that screwy input section that most people ignore. The idea was to offer a pitch-tracked input channel...but like Korg's other contemporary pitch-tracking device (the X-911 "guitar" "synthesizer"), it was utterly useless for that. BUT...that input section is made of pure, uncut ABUSE POTENTIAL, and a certain Mr. Richard James found that if you feed it UNpitched material, such as a TR-606, you make the MS-20 GO BERSERK with just a little bit of patching. If the TB-303 is the "lead" for ACIEED, then the mangly MS-20-processed drums is its complimentary backbeat.

Unfortunately, Korg continues to screw up...I just saw some demos of their new sequencer, and frankly, I thought it was a trainwreck. It might have ample connectivity, but it was obvious to me that certain parts of the sequencer implementation are not as intuitive as they need to be. It was like Korg was trying to either build a Beatstep Pro or a Polyend Seq, and wound up creating both...and yet, neither! Pft.

Thanks Garfield,

Here is what I have on the way for my Christmas gift to myself:

ModularGrid Rack

The Doepfer Monster base case and WMD Metron sequencer will arrive later :-)

Hi Sacguy71,

Fair enough :-) Let me know how you like that Rossum Trident oscillator, might be a nice one!

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks Garfield,

I took advantage of sales to buy two new cases so will have plenty of space now. A Doepfer monster base with 300HP+ of free space to use with my two Doepfer full 6U cases and a new MDLR 14 portable case that has even more room plus a row of 1u power and space for smaller 1u Intellijel modules. That MDLR will be my portable modular rig once COVID ends. I did order a bunch of new modules for these like Rossum Trident oscillator, Rossum Morpheus Z Filter as well as Expert Sleepers Disting EX, Marbles, Rings, Shades, Plog, and support modules like 4ms VCA Mixer so I can have fun creating self generative patches! That should keep me busy for a long time. Maybe by end of next year the new Erica Synths Black Sequencer and Endorphin.es Ground Control will be out.

Hi Sacguy71,

Well many good complex VCOs have already been mentioned, for example the DPO of Make Noise, it's high on my wish list too.

ACL's Variable Sync VCO or Multi-Function discrete VCO are options to keep in mind. Now don't laugh but the Doepfer - A-111-2 High End VCO might be a good option too, this isn't a simple VCO and offers a lot for the money. I have this module and I am really happy with it.

If it is your cup of tea, you might want to consider the Intellijel's Rubicon2. I got it, but I am actually not sure if this one is worth the money, it can do fantastic things and you really get a complex VCO, but is it worth it for what you are paying here? I am not too sure...

Not extremely complex but a lot of fun, at least for me, is the E330 - Multimode VCO from Synthesis Technology, I like that one.

Already mentioned the Endorphin.es - Furthrrrr Generator, I had it tested two times at my local dealer. The first time I just didn't manage to get any sound out of it at all, no idea if it was broke or I just didn't know how to use it. The second time it kind of blow my head clean off, this is a nice generator, bloody expensive but from all that expensive stuff out there this one might be worth it I think, it's high on my wish list too.

That having all said...

I wonder if I am the only one here but is it worth it to pay say 600 or 800 bucks for a "complex oscillator"? For many of those complex oscillators their prices are in the region of some serious good and complex sequencers! Those expensive sequencers are already far too expensive, if you would ask me. So I am not 100% convinced yet about some of those serious expensive complex oscillators.

The DPO (haven't tested it yet though) and the Furthrrrrr Generator might be the exceptions but the rest, is it really worth that kind of fortune? I am not sure.

Give it a very good thought before you buy such an expensive "complex" (or should it be called "expensive") oscillator! Better have it tested at your local dealer first!

Take care, have a good weekend and kind regards, Garfield.

Quadrax with the expander replaced Quadra and is a great module! I love mine and it really spices up patches and super easy to use with lots of modulation options. I think that either Quadrax with the expander or Marbles would give you tons of options for a fun setup.

Couple of things.

Quadra is discontinued... unless you're looking for a used Quadra, Quadrax is the new version (tons of added functionality, too).

Turing Machine is terrific... but Mutable Instruments' Marbles is essentially an expanded Turing Machine with added functionality. It's really terrific, and I'd suggest using it instead of the TM and expanders.

You don't have a filter in either version... that seems like a serious omission, especially given your oscillator choice.
-- Shakespeare

Good call on the Quadra! Not intentional.

I had a lot of fun with marbles in VCV, but my only concern is that it doesn’t have a whole ton of outputs vs the Turing expansion. Easily remedied by pairing with a small sequential sequencer? Or maybe I really don’t need that many random sources.

Good catch re: filter! Forbidden planet seems like it might be my vibe.

If you switch the old version of Veils for the new version, you'll save 2hp... and then you could replace the ENVF with a 4hp envelope follower like Mutable's Ears.

Couple of things.

Quadra is discontinued... unless you're looking for a used Quadra, Quadrax is the new version (tons of added functionality, too).

Turing Machine is terrific... but Mutable Instruments' Marbles is essentially an expanded Turing Machine with added functionality. It's really terrific, and I'd suggest using it instead of the TM and expanders.

You don't have a filter in either version... that seems like a serious omission, especially given your oscillator choice.

Thanks also curious what Lugia, Garfield, and Jim think for complex analog oscillator goodness. There are soo many choices. @farkas- yes a good LPG is perfect for it as well as good filter and support tools. I have a matrix mixer, another sequential switch and logic module as well as attenuator/mult on wish list to pair up as well. In my two modular systems, I use these support modules a lot with complex patches. Aiming for classic 80s-90s dance house techno industrial sounds like what Ministry, Depeche Mode and others did even though they used mostly Roland and Moog stuff.

@kevin0 perfect sale, would deal again!

This thread has helped me immensely! Providing an update here in case someone like me is looking for advice in the future and can see where I started and where I’m winding up…

It’s pretty clear I didn’t have a solid enough understanding of the basics/fundamentals — I found this tutorial which I found to be the best explanation the basics I’d seen:

With that under my belt I dove into VCV as suggested, as well as an iOS app called “miRack” to try some ideas out and see what I actually needed to get the kinds of results I’m interested in. This was super eye opening, and gave me a hands on understanding of the suggestions that I needed way less randomness and logic, and more sound shaping and control. This has led me to the following revision as my ideal starter kit:

ModularGrid Rack

And then my “day 1 / minimum viable rack” which is where I’ll start my purchases:

ModularGrid Rack

Feeling pretty good about where things are are, but more than open to any further suggestions!

I went with the Furthrrr Generator and couldn't be happier. I pair it with an Optomix LPG fairly often, but I'm thinking about adding a QPAS soon. I like the DPO as well.

If it is very close you could also stack some washers between your rails and the module to give that hairs difference, but make sure you have some long screws if you want washers on the front. Haha

My issues with the NerdSeq largely stem from my philosophy around modular. I prefer to treat my patches less as realization of a cohesive musical idea, but rather a meditative exploration that may or may not grow into something more. I hold on to the NerdSeq in hopes firmware updates, expanders, and creative patching solutions will offer new promise, but I do seriously wonder if I'd be happier with a Metron and a couple Volteras.
-- epsteinframe

I feel exactly the same. It is one of the most comprehensive modules out there. Continued updates have made it to the point it could work stand alone.

That being said, I continue to feel some issue with the philosophy. The interface and act of programming take a little getting used to having never used a tracker, but at this point, it feels incredibly natural and programming on the fly is where I have the most fun. I would highly recommend reading the manual to get and idea for what is capable of and if that's desirable to you.

I am curious if anyone has experimented with the any FSR tile as a way to record CV and Gate patterns.

Make noise DPO + Rossum Linnaeus

As I wait for my new Doepfer monster base case to arrive, I am looking at a new complex analog oscillator to spice up my setups. Considering Instruo CS-l, Verbos Complex Oscillator, Frap Tools Brenso, Endorphin.es Furthrr and Rossum Trident. Also looking for a good filter to complement them. Thoughts? I plan to pair it with Hertz Donut that I want for FM stuff. Add in some drums and I am golden.

Your Portland jam sounds great. I feel like I'm at Berghain. :)
Looks like you have a fairly versatile techno set-up here.
Have fun and good luck!

Hi all,

I wanted to share that i've recently added in a Happy Nerding FX AID and it does a really great job for built in effects.
I have been working on some jams recently as i'm still teaching myself how to play a modular live.
it is an awesome fun. :)

You can check out my latest jam here:

And, I took the case on a trek to Portland and did some jamming while under quarantine in my hotel room.
You can check out that set of jams/random parts here:

Any thoughts and feedback on the jam are appreciated as i'm still learning how to get a reasonable dance sound going. :)

Notes on the setup:
1) All sounds from the Portland sessions were recorded directly from the case.
2) The kick drum is a sample from the 2hp play (i'll put in my own samples soon, but just stated with they had to get it going)
3) My primary voice in the Manis running through the C4BON filter and using the bublesound hex system for VcA control.
The notes are sequenced from the Circles and the notes are coming from the o_C via the Enigma Jr.
4) The drone and background texture is from the Godspeed going into the Squak Dirty and then into the Clouds module.
5) it is put through my mixer and then pulled back through the Compressor where i've used the kick as a side chain setup.
6) then out to either my portable recording device (in the case of going to Portland) or, to my computer if i'm here at home.

Nice, what I was trying, and probably failing, to say was...

by trying to do these things you come across stumbling blocks, this does two things:

1) it lets you know what is missing in your system and what to go for next

2) as you have shown very nicely, it makes you think about how you could achieve something similar without the correct tools

2, imho, is a significant portion of what modular is all about for me, it's about thinking laterally and trying things you would not normally do with a classic synth architecture.

I have just built 2 Entropy to sell!! I know you probably want to do this yourself, but if you are interested and in the UK or EU, it would help me out to have a sale - of course absolutely no trouble if not :)

Good choice by the way, I really rate the Zlob stuff!!

Hi all! I want to suggest 2 new features, dunno id this is the right place...

1) a "new module" alert: when someone upload a new module, you'll receive an alert
2) random module page: a click button in the modules page, in order to let us read about a random module
3) Black panels only option, in the filter checkbox

Hi every one,

This is my first step in modular.
So first of all, thank you for adimitting me in the community. And excuse my approximative English :)

Modular is not the center piece of my setup.
I use an hardware drum machine (TR8S) and a couple of analog synths.
Some of them are semi-modular or modular-compatible (Pro-1 / Circuit Mono Station )
I also have a beatstep pro.
I'm mainly making techno and electro, inspired by Detroit and Berlin based productions.
I also love Surgeon, that is one of my favourite artists.

I just bought the Arturia Rackbrute 3U / 88HP
I would like to add some percussive, evolutive random patterns to my music, as well as ambient pads or drones with a bunch of effects for intros and transitions.
Here are the modules I'm sure for the moment.
I've chosen the SY 0.5 cause he makes exactly the sounds I'm looking for, percussives but pitchables untill you can play notes with. Can adjust the enveloppes too.
Pam's would sequence and control the sounds using beatstep pro clock (I also like the varigate 4+, but he has less functions)
I already have pico DSP for fx and disting MK4. I could change the dsp later for a Erica Synths dual fx or other.
I know that I need VCA's, a filter, Utility, maybe distortion, another voice module (I like Piston Honda sounds) and so on.
But I don't know what could be the more valuables module for the little amount of available space in the rack.

So, knowing this I would be glad to have your modules suggestions ! ;)

Thanks a lot, Cédric

Cinnamon is a definite recommendation, small footprint for a SVF with built-in distortion and input-related cutoff frequency modulation. I couldn't get my hands on the DIY kit since they were out of stock for months so I invested some of the lock-down time to build my own replica based on their schematics. In addition to that it uses the same IC as the Xone Filters in the A&H Xone 42/92 series. Maybe I'm biased because of that ^^ It's a quite straightforward design if you have some experience with filters.

I think this thread here is a good space for people that want to get into Modular and DIY with Befaco, so I will and some more examples what this thing sounds and feels like.

A Krell patch is not really feasible as of now, without filter and good random source. But this here was at least Krell inspired, main focus: Having really slow clock times for the Muxlicer and sampling from random positions in the sequence:

Now that I built most of this Rack from Kit's I have these on my watch list:
Zlob Entropy: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/zlob-entropy2
Bastl Cinnamon: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-cinnamon-aluminum-panel

ENVF is difficult to find here in Europe. Recovery two hp from new Veil is there a valid replacement for ENVF?

Edit: maybe the official store is European...

I wanted an Arp 2600 until the shortage and high prices drove me instead to just build my own modular setup. I tried an MS20 and cheaper ARP 2600 and was not impressed. Much prefer my own modular build now.

I may swap out the WMD mixer for the smaller more affordable Befaco Hexmixer. I did make sure to add plenty of support modules and touch controllers and matrix mixer and logic modules. Once I fill this case, I will stack my two 6U cases on it and then save for an MDLR 12-14u portable case. or buy another monster base and two 9U cases.

Oh yes!

Here is what I have planned (subject to change of course):

ModularGrid Rack

Then put a 12u monster case on top and never worry for long time about space needs. Then I would be well on my way to a wall of the Starship Enterprise command room of modular bliss. Buchla and Serge would be nice to add on day maybe a Volstock pin matrix modular system and Make Noise Shared System plus.

Hi Sacguy71,

Yeah, that sounds like a big monster of a sequencer setup :-) I can't wait for your video! :-D

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Garfield,

Yes, I pre-ordered Doepfer monster base case:
http://www.doepfer.de/A100_pictures/A-100PMB_front.jpg

I do have a new WMD Metron sequencer on order. Once it ships, I plan to get 2-3 Voltera extenders for CV control since each has 4 CV controls and 1-2 Axxent modules. I also want the Arpitect chord arpeggio module. Since I have 3 percussion modules and plan to get several more, this makes the best sense for my needs.

Hi Sacguy71,

Oh yes! Finally you ordered your monster case and did you made a choice in the sequencer matter :-) Quite curious how you will experience the Metron. Did you already order the Voltera (how many) and Axxent extender modules? I can't wait for your review video :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

I was literally just working on a patch like that @lugia before I saw your comment, great tip and definitely opens up some interesting possibilities.

the-erc's got it, yep. By having a quantizer at the ready, there's a lot of interesting things you can do, such as scale constraint, deriving arpeggi from LFO curves, making more use of the Stages as a sequencer, and the like. It also functions as a useful on-the-fly transposition tool via its BIAS control. And, with a quantizer on hand, there's some glitchy things that becomes doable, sort of along the lines of using the MS-20's input section. By using the quantizer to "mistrack" incoming audio, and then also employing the Plankton ENVF to mess with the VCF in conjunction with that, this has loads of potential for Aphex-ish percussive glitching. Most people tend to associate quantizing with sequencers, but the fact is that they've got tons of abuse potential beyond that.

There's another twisted thing about those two modules: you can send the envelope gen's outputted CVs to the quantizer AND somewhere else...but one of those ENVF outputs is inverted, so this opens up another stage of glitching that the MS-20 cannot do. For example, you can have the quantizer deriving CVs from the inverted envelope, but FM the complex VCO via its modulation oscillator in the OPPOSITE direction. Pitch goes down as chaotic racket increases, and so on. And of course, if there's a sequencer in a future upgrade, the OP's set already.

what is the use case for the 2hp tune? I'm not conviced of it's usefulness - Pams does quantized doesn't it?

Pam can quantise its outputs but it can't quantise external signals. (Unless they improved the firmware AGAIN while I wasn't looking.) Since it is an LFO at heart and not a sequencer this is a bit melodically limiting. I'm thinking of getting a 2hp Tune just to release my Disting for other duties! Although the Disting has many variations on the theme of quantisation, which Tune cannot do. Sad.

Thanks Garfield,

Actually I pulled the trigger so to speak and ordered a new WMD Metron sequencer and Doepfer monster base case! I need more of a trigger sequencer anyways for drums and bass lines. I will probably consider either the 512 Vector or some other melodic sequencer in the future to complement the drum bass sequencer. The cool thing about Metron are the expanders to use for cv and drum accents with Voltera and Axxent plus get Arpitecht for chord arpeggios similar to what Sinfonion does for way less cost and smaller size. I will post a video review once both arrive. Since I have a few percussion modules, it was important to use versus Korg SQ-1 and Varigate 4+ which are not ideal for complex trigger gate sequencing duties in rack.