this user has left ModularGrid

As cliched (and HP expensive) as it sounds, I'd want to add a Maths in a smaller system like this. Will open up a lot of possibilities and can be a standin module for a lot of functions while you learn the basics, also does envelopes very well imho. You have limited space, and it is a big module, but I keep being surprised at how much I enjoy working with it and how much I learn from it.
-- troux

Yeah Maths would be good! Or take a look at Stages as a function / envelope generator, sequencer and more.

Greetings of the season ;),

and thanks Garfield for keeping my motivated with your kind words :)!

This piece went into another direction as I was not able to reproduce my last patch (lost my notes and couldnt remember).
So this time I hopefully will be able to refine this prototype, hf:

hmpf, uploaded twice now, quality remains shitty?? strange :(

Hello Modular Grid community! I started to upload in-depth live-patch description videos on my new Monotrail Tech Talk channel. This is the first video of a three part series explaining a patch on my eurorack modular synth I often use for live performances. We start with the melodic voices, next week we have a look at drums and sample playback, and finally how I bring everything together! All feedback on this series is welcome, I hope some people will enjoy this :)

Video:

Modular grid:
ModularGrid Rack

All the best!
Rijn / Monotrail

The picture shows a Yamaha product but the Title claims Roland. This entry needs to be fixed by someone who knows what this pedal is.

As cliched (and HP expensive) as it sounds, I'd want to add a Maths in a smaller system like this. Will open up a lot of possibilities and can be a standin module for a lot of functions while you learn the basics, also does envelopes very well imho. You have limited space, and it is a big module, but I keep being surprised at how much I enjoy working with it and how much I learn from it.

Just a matter or preference:

You're probably good with Pachinko, but as a principal I only get original MI modules if available. Ergonomics of the originals can't be beat. Maybe look at Pamela's New Workout for some randomization in a smaller package than Marbles

I'd drop the envelope generator and go with a function generator. Joranalog Contour is a favorite if you want to save space.

You'll want a VCA. Quad is overkill for a small system, but check out Veils, Intellijel Quad VCA, or ALM Tangle Quartet if you're planning on expanding. You could also look at a envelope + VCA combo module like A-142-2 Dual Envelope Controlled VCA.

Hi Mowse,

Yes, I agree here with Bmooncd, it's verro nice

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hello!

I'm new to modular, old to synths/synthesis, ready to dive in. Not trying to go overboard, so wanted to start with a small palette case and a few core modules. I need some advice on my selection and perhaps some suggestions on where I could go from here:

ModularGrid Rack

Basically, going for a great sounding Roland-like voice (missing from my collection) with some fun generative capabilities that I wouldn't be able to produce with a standard non-modular.

• Pachinko
    A clone of marbles. Was pretty blown away by the demos of this thing. Thinking this would act as the "brain" of this build, or just a cool source of modulation if I'm using external midi.
  • Dixie II+
    Solid analog voice with decent modulation capabilities. Open to other options as well, though leaning towards something analog. Must have some stuff to modulate.
  • Jove
    This thing sounds so good! Sad that it's hard to track down the smaller version, but willing to have a larger filter for better "playability". Also I like the extra features on this one.
  • Javelin
    Was really impressed by the features on this envelope. I know that envelopes aren't must-haves in all systems, but coming from a world where I have 2-3 at my disposal, this would be nice to have. Fairly slim module as well.
  • Pique
    Peaks clone. Tons of features in a small package. Figured it would be good in a smaller system like this one.

Open to feedback on that selection. On to things that I want to expand, mostly utilities such as:
- Attenuverter/attenuator
Was looking at Lapsus Os for this, seems really cool but maybe overkill. Quadratt 1U might be the way to go since I have that extra space.
- Clock
Pachinko gives me some control over this so not sure how necessary, would like feedback on that.
- Mixer
Can't decide if this is a necessity, might be nice to have a small one.
- FX
Totally not a must-have, this is a small system and I have other gear for that. So only would want small modules for this that really add something. The Intellijel Digiverb sounds pretty good, so perhaps that if I have any space in the 1U.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! Super excited to start this journey and grateful for any wisdom you can share.

Thank you @MarcoMula. Very polite and fast!

First class service from @KitKatAndy. Fair price, module exactly as described and delivered within 2 days. Thanks a lot my friend and hope to be dealing with you again.

When starting out, I did a 3-Tier Moog 104hp skiff build. At the time, it might have presented lower upfront cost, but with my planned build growth rate of only two years, I really only ate $775. Here's a breakdown:

Moog or Make Noise 104hp unpowered skiffs x 3 = $300
Moog 3-tier rack kit $70
uZeus power supplies x 3 = $255
uZeus Power adapters x3 = $105
Flying bus board cable expanders x 3 = $45

Completed Moog 3x104hp case build: $775

Cost of Pittsburgh Modular EP-420 case with clean, protected power and all required hardware: $849

I tore down that Moog build and am now gifting each 104hp powered skiff to friends getting into modular. It's nice to be able to do that, but I'm almost certain that at least one of them will do what I did. ;-) I'm reattaching the 3-tier metal frame to my two M32's and adding a DFAM, so using as originally intended.

Something I learned from folks here and MW: Have a good plan and make good use of it.

Verra nice 😎

Plus one more inexpensive cab solution: Erica. Their stuff has pretty good build quality, plus they don't skimp on current with their power supplies, which have a great on-the-busboard design. They also have extra optional end-cap hardware available for these, so it's possible to stack up a build that has the Moog 60 hp form factor, but which actually has some real space to spread out in AND which is already powered and ready to go.

Hello,

I am new to modular and I am learning every day. I am thinking of moving towards this kind of set-up, but I'm afraid to mess things up. I have been using synths and sequencers for 10 years (for techno acid), but modular is ... so special and exciting.
Now, I have: Mixer, Plaits, Peaks and uVCA (and patching it with a Crave). The next modules will be: Prism (because filter and effects) and Maths (because ... its maths).

ModularGrid Rack

I mostly wonder about the second tier ... I'm not sure I have enough modulation sources for the VCOs (M303/Klavis). Maybe more ADSR and VCA?
I am also not sure that it is relevant to combine Pamela and Mimetic Digitalis.

Thank you already for your wise advices

Salad!

Just a very simple ambient patch with René 2 and DivKid øchd feeding Odessa and DPO. Pushing resonance all over the place. Somewhere along the way, I bring in a Moog Mother 32. DPLR, Clouds, and Mimeophon creating space.

hi everyone, just wanna share a story with you guys.

So I went for a grocery shopping with my wife today, then went to a Daiso for some asian living gadgets in Emeryville CA. I was wearing a makenoise printed shirt, suddenly one of their employee spotted it and asked if that's a synth. once the topic started we just couldn't stop! he even told me that he got a Buchla 400 sitting at home and got things controlled via Max/Msp!

How often can you meet some cool guy like this? too bad that he was on duty at the moment and I was too shy to ask for his contact, totally having a good time in that few minutes.

if you also live in Easy Bay, maybe you should go check him out too.

Welcome @overand!

Hello Overand,

I am Garfield Modular, I am lazy, don't mind to eat lasagne and try to sleep when possible. Any other time left I try to spend with modular synthesizers, well Eurorack stuff that is.

Haven't had time (too busy with modular :-) ) yet to check on my signature here so, I am afraid can't help you with that.

Welcome, enjoy modular stuff and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Mowse,

Wow, after you catapult me back in hyper space, I just arrived at planet Xydrtop 4A9, zopple it. Zopple is your best friend here in hyper space what google is down to earth ;-)

But you must have been on Xydrtop as well (I hope you brought your towel along with you!) because when I just arrived here early this morning (earth time, GST) then I just heard this very kind of similar music. I actually decided to stay on Xydrtop because of the beautiful music and noises here. Since you managed to do the same back home on earth, I think on the long run... I might come back to earth and enjoy more of your beautiful ambient and experimental noises :-)

Well done! And by the way, if this is what you just do during an evening. I am wondering about what you can manage to do in a week holiday time? ;-) Kind regards from Garfield, Xydrtop 4A9.

I have an idea for a feature. Maybe it has been mentioned elsewhere. I would like a "Remove unused modules" choice in the Edit menu. It would be a quick way to remove all extra modules outside of the rack. I'm sure the "clean this mess up" cat would appreciate it.

Hey, welcome!

I'd say Pico DSP, leds don't match the BBD (AFAIK it has no led on the front panel) but they do match those on the panel of the DSP. By the way, it's 3HP, not 2.

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Summary

Allow "Add To specific Rack" for modules., esp. from module page.

Details

Rationale

I have several "wishlist" racks (I'm sure that's common); and it would be SO handy to do this. The current workflow for "add this module to my Oscillator Wishlist rack" often involves lots of tabs and sometimes copy/paste.

User Interface Thoughts

Re: U.I. - it would be easiest to implement this from the module (sub) page, rather than from inside a current View Rack/"Module List/Search" view, but either would be nice.

If added to the list view, it could have one of these options:

• Live alongside the current icons (+, i, *, Collect) making 5
  • Replace the * (review) icon (which would then live only in the module page'
  • Appear only if you hover mouse/hold tap on the + (Add) icon, which would otherwise function normally

Less desirable options?

If this was added as a button to the modules themselves when IN a rack, it could have multiple functions. As a copy icon, it could be used to duplicate the module in the current rack, with a dropdown/pop up to select other racks instead. (This feels more cluttered and less important, though).

(Sorry if this gets duplicated - the first time I commented didn't appear to work.)

Attributes: They/them, Queer, Enby, Poly*, Anti-hierarchy, Nature/Tech Weirdo
Sites: www.overand.com | www.soundcloud.com/overand/ | www.youtube.com/overand
WTB: Euro VCAs, Mixers, Env Followers & Interfaces.
Building the modular since ~2003

Hey, folks - I'm overand! I'm mostly active on the M-W forum, but am enjoying my exploration of this community too, rather than just the amazing modulargrid playground itself.

(I'm also making a first post here so I can see if posting works for me - last post attempt didn't, or may be in a moderation queue.)

Still working on cramming everything into my signature! It was this:

Sites: overand.com| Soundcloud| YouTube
ModularGrid: MOTM | Eurorack

As you may see below (if you view this before I fix it), I discovered that signatures don't support Markdown. (:

Sites: www.overand.com | www.soundcloud.com/overand/ | www.youtube.com/overand

if you want a metropolis - get a used one - they usually seem to go for about 70% retail - and if you don't like it you can flip it for the same money

or get a ryk m185 - maybe diy it - not a starter project though

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

great idea - but try this no more than 5-6 modules - just the ones you will start with:

a sound source, a sound modifier, a modulation source, a way to play, a quad cascading vca - and something else that you think you want/need

and then once everyone has gone - huh - looks ok to me - buy it and play with it, at least until you have a good idea how everything works together - and don't worry about what modules to buy to fill your case - they will work themselves out over time - maybe after a month or 2 add another module or 2 and repeat

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

generally sounds like a good plan

I would suggest not going for the 2-3 tier moog 60hp case strategy though

they work out quite expensive by the time you've powered them

the best decent (in terms of power and build quality), reasonably priced cases are still imo the doepfer LC6 with the PSU3 and the TipTop Audio Mantis and probably will be next year and the year after etc

and neither of them use a power module - so you get all the space you buy for modules you want - not loosing 4hp or so per case

use it as the clock - send it out on say channel 3 of your interface and set the tempo in reaper

if you are going to make several passes it can help keep everything in time - especially if you want to change tempo during a track - set the tempo changes in the daw you can also use it to start/stop etc - hopefully when you record then every track you record from the modular will start at the same place which makes life a lot easier

if you are going to want to add soft synths or any processing that is time based in the box

if you are adding to something already recorded

etc etc

how would that pulse help me record audio from the modular into Reaper at a certain BPM?

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

That looks to me like an Erica Synths' Pico BBD

Been watching Bana Haffar videos lately, specifically when she's playing the DFAM, there's a nice little (short) video of her playing in a shop with just the DFAM and a small selection of modules. Most are obvious, however the little 2HP module on the very right. It doesn't show up until about half-way through the video (0:37). Anyone have any ideas what that is?

Thank you all for the informative replies. I come from a music background, been playing in live bands most of my life, and over the past 4 years or so have been slowly getting more in to electronic music composition. I started on volcas and groove boxes, after a number of various pieces of gear I've currently settled on the Deluge as my centerpiece, I also have a Crave which I use paired often.

The more I've learned about electronic music, composition, and specifically flexibility of designing systems of rules from which music emerges has continued to lead me down the road into modular.

You've all convinced me that the Pico System is probably not the best first dive into eurorack for me. I understand that I'm not necessarily going to love every piece of gear I get along the way, and as I learn I'd like to have the flexibility to re-use or resell pieces of gear. @Lugia thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking at the Soundmachines Modulor114 and it looks pretty awesome. Something that could be re-sold as a stand-alone unit or mounted into a eurorack case (or kept separate but paired) is much more attractive, plus is sounds amazing!

@farkas I am going for mostly ambient pads and rythmic variance with analogue percussion. I am also looking to make my eventual system as generative as possible, which would allow me to run it as an accompaniment to the Deluge, as melodic ideas I generally scratch out on the Deluge.

I found a DFAM being sold second-hand by someone who actually lives in my neighborhood and plan to get that for now, pairing with my Crave and using my Deluge as an effects processor + extra CV and Gate as I experiment and learn more about modular. I figure this is a good starting point for now as the DFAM is pretty unique (resale value), is self housed + can be mounted in a eurorack, and is a good starting point for expansion if I decide to pick up a few modules (like Maths, for example) I could easily set up a little moog 2-3 tier stand. And at some point I may still go for that Modulor114 :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I plan to take things slow and grow only as I learn and maybe hit some walls. Any tips on great ways to interface the Deluge with modular would be welcome. Cheers.

Just watched your video with this setup, really interesting use of a small amount of modules. The Radio idea was cool, saves rack space hahahaha. Are you planning on doing a follow up to this ?

A generative patch run by Wogglebug with various modulations of Optomix, QPAS, Panharmonium, Clouds, and Mimeophon. Our two oscillators are Rossum-Electro Music Trident and Make Noise DPO.

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the suggestion Mowse. The Odessa sounds beautiful!

Hi Mowse,

I can't wait for your holiday and I am hoping for some fruitful demos :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: First Rack

That helped. The BIA is awesome so you look like you have a pretty good set up. Burst generator and low pass gate are two areas I would look at. Kind of depends on how eclectic you want to get with the drums. The DFAM is also a good unit. It's major drawback is the reset. There is no way (that I know of) to stop and then have it restart on step 1 without doing it manually. I'd also check out the QD - Quad Drum Voice

Wow, thank you so much for your thoughtful advices! I really appreciate your effort! Surely there is a lot to learn, which is part of the beauty of it... but besides reading and listening to pros I need to get my hands dirty ;) I'll update the rack after some more research and will explain those choices more detailed... I'll keep you updated!

Thank you!

Well, a week of vacation is coming up, so my problem may be a bit of poking around for some good deals. Soon, the rains will come and I want to be set up befor winter.

Hey, thanks! I really appreciate it. I'm learning a lot from this new build. It's really just awesome to sit in front of this thing and explore. Next week, I am on vacation and looking forward to some evening sessions.

Just a +1 for Veils. It was my first VCA and, despite owning several others, I still reach for it first. It just drives really well. Nice VCA.

Hi Mowse,

Oh come on! This is not fair, I just recently arrived back home from the many outer space journeys I had by your tracks and a few other members around here. I enjoyed having Internet access again because that's a serious issue there in outer space but now you hyper spaced me again somewhere beyond Saturn, if I am not mistaken, at least it looked like Saturn that I just saw passing by.

Well, thanks a lot for sharing this nice track, providing me this beautiful feeling of travelling through space, switching of the mind from the daily stress and just focus on your music, yeah that's what I call relaxing and well... the imagination as you can see, that follows kind of automatically with your music.

Thanks a lot and spacious regards, Garfield.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

That sounds like a very nice DIY case project, luckily you tested that red on a bit of scrap MDF first :-)

I am a bit jealous that you got such a nice and good neighbour ;-)

Enjoy your case and kind regards, Garfield.

Hello Mezlamezla,

Welcome to modulargrid.net and to modular synthesizers!

I like the size of your case, not too small, finally a beginner with a bigger case :-) Very good, keep it at this size (or consider even one more 84 HP row, you will see, you need the space in the (near) future).

My next advice is to keep, if possible, even a slightly bit more space free for future use, you have kept one row free, very good, when you start with this rack, don't buy everything in one go though, start with the more easy and simple/standard modules/functions and then consider the more complex and larger modules. So, if possible try to keep two rows free to start with.

Ditch that large Lifeforms module and the Koma, I am sure they are fantastic modules but look at their sizes! 48 HP + 36 HP = 84 HP, that's one entire row of your rack, or 25% of your entire rack space capacity...

Now we have space :-) I see you got a Plaits there, that's good, many people (including myself) are very happy with that one however consider a second oscillator to come into play. Be it an STO of Make Noise, or a Dixie - II+ from Intellijel or any thing that you would like and kind of makes sense.

I also see from Make Noise the Maths & Contour modules, both good modules. I am myself still not sure about the Maths if that was a good investment, yes it's a good module but for that kind of money, for the size of it? Am I sure? No... to be honest. But if you must have a Maths (because nearly everybody got one ;-) ) then perhaps consider the Contour to exchange against a more classical ADSR to get yourself easier started within modular? I can recommend the Doepfer - A-140-1, a standard plain ADSR that does what it needs to do, nothing fancy but good to start with and to understand an envelope in a bit easier way. But up to you, if you are happy with those envelopes Match (that's more than just a simple envelope, I know) and the Contour then go for it. My advice is, that it can't harm to take two envelopes from different brands to see a bit the differences and the (other) possibilities that the market has to offer.

The Make Noise Morphagene and Mimeophon are nice modules, I am pretty sure about that, but to start with those modules, are you sure? Perhaps if you like them so much that you start with one first (the most favourite one) and you leave the other one out first, once you build up experience with your rack then (re-)consider of taking the second module? These are quite complex modules and as a beginner to start with complex modules, I am not too sure if that's the right approach? :-) But if you are as nuts as I am and you like complex stuff, then go for one of them to start with; but you can't say I haven't warned you!

I would consider one more filter, the Doepfer Wasp filter is a nice one so you can keep that one in your rack but consider another additional filter, like a multimode filter for example. The Wasp filter is a nice one but a bit weird one too, so putting a multimode filter next to it that might give you just a bit more filter possibilities that you might need.

This Pamela's New Workout seems to be a great clock module, many people here in the forum have it and are (very) happy with it. I don't have it but I think it's good to keep it in here, you can't do much wrong with that.

I do miss some LFOs though, consider to take two LFOs or if you like to take it easy, start with one first but you will see that sooner or later you need more LFOs. If you want a simple, plain but (very) good LFO, start with the Doepfer - A-145-1. It's simple straight forward with this LFO but that's actually the beauty of this module, it's so sublime because of being so straight forward. I use it in almost every patch.

I don't see an audio (input/) output interface either? It's not per se a must but advisable to consider it. The Intellijel - Audio I/O is a nice one otherwise consider the Befaco - Out v3. And before you put everything to an output module, you need to send it through a mixer first. I don't think I saw a mixer in your rack? So consider that too.

The rest of the modules up to you, check for each module if you really need them to start with? Instead of starting with so many "fancy" modules consider to add rather a nice effects module to give your sound a nice final touch before you send it to your external mixer unless you have external effects then of course you can use those.

Well that's it for the moment. Do some more homework, if I may advise so. Lots of reading and checking is required for modular synthesizers. Don't think you can learn this over one night, this takes ages of preparations, reading, learning and understanding. How you take my above info is up to you, you have to make the final decisions. There is with modular synthesizer actually no real wrong or no real good, at the end it's up to you how you fill up your rack (but do it slowly, step by step and build up experience with each step and re-adjust your opinion about modules and the entire concept). I am just trying to avoid here for you a disappointment because that would be pity, it's too expensive for that. But once you found your way into modular synthesizers, there is no way back and you only want to be more intensively busy with it :-)

Good luck, have fun and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Sequencing and Quantization: bloom and turing machine + scales and pams = overkill for the number of voices you have, if you ask me - get a few buffered mults, tune vcos to intervals, use sample and hold, use divided clocks for triggers etc etc and get rid of at least the tm

Why the field kit? - and it's a big module...

the quad vca - i don't think you'll get on with this one - or at least I wouldn't - it is a quad vca, but there is only one set of controls - great for playing chords, but not what I'd want as a first quad vca - get the a-135-2 instead if you want 8hp and doepfer - I prefer veils - especially for beginners it's a really useful and simple quad cascading vca - lots of gain for external inputs (unlike most vcas - which are really attenuators) and overdrives quite nicely - but is more expensive and bigger!

I'd want more utilities - especially for multing, mixing and modifying modulation - probably some more submixers for audio too, possibly a panning mixer so that you can take your mono sources and pan them to stereo - so that you can process them with the mimeophon and morphagene

Or slight variation ?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1290383.jpg

Thanks mate ... I know it’s vague but initially I want something that will give me interesting rhythmic/percussive grooves with a bit of random thrown in. Not really looking for traditional drum sounds or samplers at this point. As a novice, I’m not sure what I’d include if I freed up space by say slimming down from the Pam. I’ve watched so much on YouTube now and read a bunch of reviews but any thoughts on what be cool to include would be much appreciated.

Should say that I’ve inherited the case and 1U tiles so I’ve just left as is for now focussing just on the 3U modules. Did think about putting an Intellijel Quadratt in there but then I’d need to lose the noise tools and the headphone socket (which I guess I could).

Do you need a headphone out and a mixer with outs? Area you could save some hp real estate. There are also smaller mixers or even the Disting MK4 that can be used. Pam's is great but do you need all it offers in clocking? You may be able to use 4ms or another smaller unit to do clocking. What specifically are you shooting for with the rig?

Please be gentle ... I’m sure I’ll have missed something that I need, included something I don’t need or that won’t work or probably both ... planning to build this in an Intellijel 62HP Palette

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1290103.jpg

Thanks

Arduino clone of intellijel, with repeat / stop step function.
Totally DIY. Doesn't exist as a project you can buy. You have to figure it yourself.
I'm working myself on it too:

The same project detailed on GitHub:
https://github.com/tomarus/diymetro

Another great video, the principle of functioning explained.
Start here to build from scratch: