Thanks exper. Going to do some tweaking today so I can say I did my due diligence before reaching out to the PGH folks. Did a manual add up of the power specs in a spreadsheet as well rather than just going by the specs here on MG.

3 of the modules on the bottom rail have jumpers to offset some of the power to the +5 so going to try that since I wasn't currently using any +5 on the bottom... and double check all my connections while I am at it. Then see what happens. Thanks again.

Yes I would take it with PGH. I know there have been other power issues with their cell cases as well. Technically I'm running much higher mA levels with only 1.4A per 6u without any power outages with MN powered busboards. You should be fine if it was working properly.

I just picked up a new Pittsburgh Modular Move 208 case and arranged these modules into it. I seem to be having some power issues however despite the fact that everything adds up well within spec... even when dividing case spec between the two rails.

Am I missing something here?

MOVE 208 // +12v @ 2A, -12v @ 2A, and +5v @600mA // 12VAC 5.0A AC Power Adapter

FULL // 996 mA +12V | 455 mA -12V | 301 mA 5V
TOP RAIL // 400 mA +12V | 137 mA -12V | 170 mA 5V
BOTTOM RAIL // 596 mA +12V | 318 mA -12V | 131 mA 5V

It seemed to start first with the Shapeshifter... it would power down, followed by the rest of the top rail, then a few seconds later the bottom rail would go out. So then I read there have been some issues with Shapeshifters that require a new fuse and some soldering I will contact them about. So I disconnected the Shapeshifter and took it completely out of the equation.

Now after about 10-15 minutes of operation the whole bottom rail shuts down out of nowhere.

Does this seem like an issue I should bring up with Pittsburgh Modular regarding the case?

I just added in the QCD Expander and the 3 drum modules to my setup... all in the bottom... so the case and those 4 modules are my new variables in the setup.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TROUBLESHOOTING TESTS:
FAILED // I noticed I wasn't using any +5 on the bottom... so I switched the jumpers on the QCD, QPLFO, & Basimulus to offset some of the power to the +5.

Thread: Patch notes

This piece was inspired by the "phasing" early tape compositions of Steve Reich, the nighttime sounds of late summer, and most importantly the amplified sound of my unborn son's heartbeat.

Having heard baby's heartbeat amplified at a prenatal visit, I was immediately struck by the energy, rhythm and cuteness, and also immediately thought of recreating it with my synthesizer. I created the sound with the DPO, Pressure Points, MATHS and modDemix, then recorded and spliced it with the Phonogene and used the EOS as master clock for the piece.

The melodic portion of the patch is based on a 4-step René sequence with several different rhythms bringing the timbres in and out. The modDemix, DPO Ext Src, and Pressure Points were the main nodes of expression. The Pressure Points in particular intensifies the echos, reverb and synced VCOA, and the tuned voltages change the overall rhythm for each section via the Erbe-Verb predelay control. This made it easy to intensify the patch periodically before brining it into a new section.

Toward the end I also played the René pads manually for higher notes before the coda. Ultimately this may have been unnecessary to the piece but this recording was my favorite take otherwise.

I made four versions of this patch before I found one that recorded to my satisfaction. Earlier versions used multiplied master clock via Echophon for unusual rhythmic juxtapositions (5 on 4 etc.), and/or feedback networks based on the CV output of the Erbe-Verb fed by the "heartbeat". These versions were interesting, but in both cases the upbeat rhythm of the "heartbeat" was compromised, or at least no longer seemed like the centerpiece of the patch, so I kept searching.

Yes, it's a killer module. Unique aspect is to do frequency dependent envelope following.
As far as i know only other module doing this is the Buchla 296 spectral processor.
But it's a power bitch!

A Eurocrack Pusher: "The first time is for free" ;)

A screenless alternative to hardwired and software samplers. With a turntable or other sound source in the Phonogene's input, the Varispeed knob controls the quality and length of the sample recorded. Setting the Varispeed to around 2 oclock will typically allow for several bars to be captured via the record button while in Live mode. Note: the ideal position can take some trial and error to find, depending on the tempo of the record and length of the phrase you are sampling.

Using the record button to start and stop the record like a traditional cassette recorder, it is possible to grab a loop that is the same tempo as the turntable and in the same time signature. Therefore, once the sample has been recorded to memory, switching from live to loop on a downbeat of the audio source will start the loop playback in time with the original phrase. (Note: if the Varispeed knob was set to 12:00 when the loop was recorded, switching from live to loop will not initiate playback of the loop until you manually move the Varispeed control.)

Using the splice button, you can easily cut the sample into smaller pieces in time with the original sample. If you mess up the splices, just hold the splice button down until the record light flashes and try again. By setting the splice knob full CCW it is possible to select which splice is played back by patching from a row of tuned voltages on the Pressure Points (row 2 on this patch sheet) to the Organize CV INput. In this way, each pad can have an independent control over which splice is played.

Patching from the Pressure Points Channel 4 Gate output to the play input on the Phonogene will send a gate that will initiate playback when a pad is pressed on the Pressure Points. Doing this also allows for the monophonic retriggering of splices (in MPC terms, all splices act as if in the same Mute Group with Poly set to 1).

Because the ideal Varispeed setting can be tricky to find, it is best to use an offset into the Varispeed input to control the playback speed and direction once the loop has been captured. This way you can change the Varispeed setting without altering the position of the Varispeed panel control, and getting back to the "ideal" setting can be done quickly and consistently. Using a row of tuned voltages on the Pressure Points allows each pad independent control of playback speed; however, this means each pad/splice will be in a different timing. For the example in the video, I put each tuned voltage at full clockwise and attenuated on the Phonogene so that regardless of the pad selected, the splices would always be in tempo with one another. As an added bonus, the next loop recorded from the same source material was in time with the original loop/splices!

Lastly, I run everything through the Erbe-Verb because everything sounds better through the Erbe-Verb ;-)
Enjoy!
Lee Coleman

Thread: Change Log

It should be possible now to embed private Soundcloud links.
Copy the secret link from the Share menu of the track to do that.

Happy Builder here!
Had awesome fun while messing with this Brulu Demo Patch!

Thread: My tiny MOTM

Ha ha! Yes it is. This was just to build up a picture of my ideal 22-space from that Muffs thread.

For those inclined, heres some modular videos of studio session outtakes, enjoy

Thread: Moog VX-351

true, but to get it to fit the 5u frame I had to make the picture scale down.

Wot the Kak is this?

Thread: Moog VX-351

The VX-351 (and the CP-251) are only 4U wide, not 5. They fit side by side in a standard rack.

;-)

Yes, I removed my post as soon as I had posted it.

not a module
but it's 2hp !

Done

I made a mistake - this is the more accurate version - please keep it public.
Mark this as private instead: http://www.modulargrid.net/u/buchla-259 (picture fails to fit the grid)

Cheers

Those modules look amazing! I can't seem to find any info on them, could you share any?

Thread: Comments?

Yes, thanks.

I think you already found it out: You can still comment directly on the module detail pages (scroll to the bottom), but every comment is also accessible in the forum.

duplicate

OK - yes, I'm daft (or at least lazy as fuck) - one should make a post... Now I know.

Before we could add comments to a module - seems like we need to make a new post in the forum instead, or am I completely daft?
The main reason I liked this feature was to be able to add things like "Duplicate"...

Cheers
/KNYST

Thread: My tiny MOTM

Cute! ;-)

That's always sad.
I can hardly part things I rarely use, the horror to sell stuff I love ...
I hope everything will be fine.

I lied . . .I sold it :-(

added a pressure points / brains combo. case is getting a more ergonomic touch based skiff :)

1. Source
    Oscillator
    Noise

2. Filter
    Low Pass Gate
    VCF / Filter

3. Amplifier / Routing
    Attenuator
    VCA
    Mixer
    Multiple
    External
    Polarizer / Inverter
    Utility
    Slew Limiter

4. Modulation
    LFO
    Clock Modulator
    CV Modulation

5. Envelope
    Function Generator
    Envelope Generator
    Envelope Follower

6. Effect
    Delay
    Distortion
    Waveshaper
    Phase Shifter
    Pitch Shifter
    Frequency Divider
    Quantizer

7. Other / Random
    Sample and Hold
    Ring Modulator

8. Controler
    MIDI Interface
    Switch
    Sequencer
    Controler / Stick

Thread: Woggle It 2

This is a tweak of the Woggle It (Just a little bit) patch. The optomix is now driven by the slower right hand side of the maths so that the non-strike elements are smoother. I unplug the strike inputs occasionally to allow the longer notes to play on their own. Pressure points is used to alter the pitch of the conga like sound coming from the DPO. I occasionally use the freeze function to create a bit more madness.

Oh, shit! I get them confused sometimes. Sorry!

I clearly said Ladies not Zombies!

You hired me because you said that you didn't have enough zombies here. You better pay me, punk.

Not sure if this will frighten away the zombies or lure them...

I love folk music, and studied the music of zombies when I was in college. This set is based on that old zombie folk hymn, 'I ain't gonna gnaw on Momma's brain no more', one of my favorites.

This is mostly violin through cocoquantus into the pro 2 audio in. Eurorack plays a supporting role....

Track list (in current order):
The end of silence
I ain't gonna gnaw on Momma's brain no more
Can you sing, Father Time?
He sat idly by, disinterested, as the universe was created
Spleen saver
Scream clever, scream dark

Universal Torment Interpreter

Oh, please, shiny horned one,
Hear my submission to your eternal agony.

This set was constructed pretty much entirely with the prophet 2.

Stray toilets, baboons, and string instruments are processed through it at various times in history.

Tracklist:
Revenge of the naked dead
I can smell you scream
Universal torment interpreter
Analysis of the pygmy baboon mating ritual
Your death is very important to us
Shlock and awe
I am the creator of zombie love
The naked dead explain their horrible smell
I can smell you think
Draining the mind of the disease

A Warning to all Conscious Beings,

Consists of 4 tracks.

Hitler torments the baby Jesus
A warning to all conscious beings
Address to the citizens of Muffwiggler
The slow beheading of Nelson Baboon

Use your mind as a fungicide

Rev. 2 is in the works. I hope to have it ready in a month or 2.

Thread: Buchla 250

Flagged as private

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Thread: Buchla 250

duplicate
cf:
http://www.modulargrid.net/u/buchla-model-250e

Wogglebug and Maths are at the heart of this patch. Maths acts a bit like a 'bouncing ball' except that the Rene CV output provides time variation for each cyle. Maths outputs clock the Rene and provide envelopes for the sounds as well as strikes to the DPO and Optomix. The Wogglebug provides extra variation to the DPO and Echophon's pitch. The left Osc on the DPO in conjuction with the Optomix is set so that it has a conga type sound. Rene operates in snake mode. The Phonogene is used to capture some of the strikes from the DPO and play them back with a bit of variation courtesy of the CV out from the Rene altering it's varispeed.

Hello,

I just ordered my first eurorack modular.
For my purposes I wanted to get some different stuff then the moogs, oberheim, roland stuff I have now.
So the Mutable looked like a great oscillator f.or starters
I want to use the modular for weird, strange noises, not so for playable synth tones, I have enough hardware pieces for that job.
I am also looking for some sequencing stuff.

Maybe any one has some suggestions to add to my rack? Not to expensive, I'm little low on cash now :-)

ModularGrid Rack

For my first ever modular it was my Oscillator of choice. Having lots of old analog synths and more modern ones, I just wanted something a bit different then "just" an ordinary VCO. Looking forward patching it in!

Flagged as private

No worries, here's how it works:

When you add a new module it will be public and viewable by everyone as default, unless you check the "Private" checkbox.

A private module can only be seen by you (and anyone who have added the module before it went private), so this is the way to go if you want to experiment.

i'm new. give me a break? oh lord of snark!

Did you even bother searching before submitting this module?

Thread: small

hey love

I want to refer to the thread title and give you a general explanation, why limits are necessary.
Many users asked me why there is such a limit at all.

The main reason for the limitation is to ensure an acceptable server performance and keep the system save.
Without limits the consecutive duplication of huge racks could easily bring the server down.
This can happen without a bad purpose in mind but it also can be used in an attack scenario (This is no fantasy, it happened already).

The main problems:

1. Heavy SQL processes slow down the server
  2. Database grows non-linear over time and slows down every other query
  3. Screenshot generation needs a lot of RAM
  4. Screenshots will be huge. If people embed those 3MB+ shots in Forums, other users won't be happy to load the thread on their mobile plans.
  5. Also server traffic increases. This will cost money at some point.
  6. The general Planner, SketchAPatch and TrueGrid rely on client side JavaScript. The bigger the rack, the bigger memory consumption, the slower the drag'n'drop performance, etc. This can lead to Browser crashes in extreme cases or on low-end computers like phones and tablets.

I increased the limit for rows and columns many times and I think this is maxed out.
I know many of you guys will find this unacceptable so I am thinking about a solution.

PS. I would like to say that this is one of the coolest sites on the net, free too.
-- gwpt

The keyword here is free.

Will you guys freak out if I introduce some kind of paid account for "Pro" users, which will expand those limits?

This would solve some (but not all) problems and of course would give me some revenue.
What are your thoughts?
Best Knut