HI Where are you based, I have two of them and may consider parting with one as I am thinking about going outboard with my mixing. Send me a PM ta.

The best module without doubt is the SCOPE if you have an es8/es9 - Its like a free Mordax. I use this all the time

I also think Omri Cohen is the shizz!

I also love the BogAudio, JW and Vult Stuff - I only have a few brands that I have downloaded and only go looking for other stuff when I need a specific thing as there is too much duplicated stuff on there.

It is a must have when you have a small rack and an ES8/ES9 but I think if you have a larger rack there isn't the need to use a hybrid approach in my opinio, but for sure using as an end of stage mixer is typically more fully featured in VCV

I do this all the time too - it proper annoys me because I have to get up from my chair and look at my actual physical rack ( I know right !!!), to remember which order I had my modules in. I much prefer to make examples on MG of how I can fit my modules in the available space than actually make music lol

I would patch a simple voice with a single sawtooth or square. Then find a sequence I like in marbles. Set a Euclidean sequence in Pams. Then build on that sequence with sound design and effects. Like put the batumi before the CSL and patch the F%^& out of it. Or use the OCHD.

it takes a while to realise what you are doing. I would clock from PNW and take some Euclidean Sequences from it --> Traffic --> Plaits/Rings --> Clouds. Learn what that is capable of first and then think about your other modules. That chain on its own will give you wonderful rhythms/ textures or drumbeats.

the only thing missing is silver modules :D

I go from my ERM multiclock straight into PAMs - You can send an analog clock out fr0m output one of the ERM

if you want to use your computer with modular buy an ES-8, that way you can send each signal separately to your computer and EQ to your hearts content there.

Also think about the frequency of your sounds and try to layer your sounds by octave range. This will result in a cleaner mix

Sometimes on filters you get different outputs like bandpass or highpass outputs which are good to use when you already have your bass sorted.

message sent by one of the people above to my inbox lol:

Wunderbar, Herr greenfly from toodee
Received Today, 16:31
Please don’t call me names, you may not like logic and facts but if you insist on living in a fantasy world, please stay in there and don’t engage with others.
You’re one of those weak minds who ignore parts of the argument that they can’t respond to (like you just did - or is reading a full sentence difficult for you, a recurring theme with you as I understand?) because, well, deep down you know as well as I do that you’re full of shit and have absolutely 0 knowledge on synths but still insist weirdly on sharing that uninformed opinion with others to boost your self-esteem, that’s just sad and so cringe …

^ example of silly person because of course behringer characterising a silly purist with a big nose is anti-semitic lol

It's only some silly people on here that think Behringer is bad, they don't mind Arturia ripping off the exact same code as what you have in Brains.

Thread: MI clones ?

I have all these

ModularGrid Rack

They are all good - the clones are space savers and built very well, I never have issues with them.

There is no question of ethics as Emile made her code open source.

Happened to me one time and it was a dodgy Erica synths mixer. The way I identified it was buy putting my modules in one by one and then turning the power on and off to see if a particular module was causing the issue.

I'm so glad I put in the extra money and bought the Intellijel’s 84 hp 7u case which gives you 3000mA on the +12v compared to arturia's 1600mA (I think), I know people rave about Arturia products but I personally have never been lucky with that company. I had power issues with a beat step pro too and when I took it apart the usb power was unsoldered from the board - really poor and cheap design choices.

I would just stick in a Squid Salmple and Pams for starters and then go from there. Probably as much modulation I could cram into the remaining space.

great build @Lugia

@modnico - the compressor will be useful but bear in mind that you could make a side chain easily in Lugia's build with a spare envelope from the quadrax which will need to be inverted and a spare vca. If you are only using the rack for kick and bass this is what I would do

Personally I would remove the pittsburgh waveforms and get the ataxia from dreadbox.

I would remove the Pittsburgh stuff and create a separate voice around it in a new skiff. I like the dreadbox chromatic modules and will eventually buy all of them at some point - excellent starter modules.

get rid of the a-138 and put a cosmotronic cosmix there

you would connect something to the reset to break it like another divisor or lfo

Thread: VCV 2.x out!

its amazing - I had to spend 1000's of pounds on Eurorack to appreciate the software version as every time I sat down to work out how eurorack worked I used to give up and get really frustrated in the process. Now I use Softube modular and vcv as an ideas playground to try out patches which I can then replicate with hardware -- love it

I’m pretty much all reverb and ebay and paying anywhere between 50% - 70% of rrp. The only module I bought close to rrp recently was metropolix. Just got to walk away if the bidding gets too high than what you are prepared to pay.

Thread: First build

It seems to me you want to include effects internal and external but you are eliminating send and return
functionality. It's ok to use and effect per voice but it might be more efficient to use them in an aux configuration.

Thread: Opinions!

Start with the ES8 and think about what is gonna go into each one of the 4 inputs you have then work backwards from there. Think about how many headers you have in your case and make sure you don't go over 80% of your total power and then try to cram in as much as you can if you are one planning on just having 168hp. Most people on here will advise you to get a larger case, the consensus seems to be around 208hp. You can do a lot with 208hp!

You could easily build two really good voices with effects in a 168hp though. If you get the ml2 you can use Ableton Link and do drums in Ableton and this will play in time with your modular. You have 8 outs in your ES8 and you can send a lot of modulation like lfo's and envelopes out from Ableton and plug them into your modules to modulate the crap out of your cv inputs. You'll love that.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/circuit-happy-ml-2

ModularGrid Rack

Hi

I would do something like this. Lugia will definitely give you a better more complete version but I can only really talk about the modules I have so I'm pretty confident this would work.

Pams - use this for clock, triggers, envelopes, lfo's etc (divkid has a wicked video on it)

Varigate 4 + - you have a great deal of flexibility including randomisation with this sequencer, you can use it in multiple configurations and it has quantization built in.

Beehive - smaller version of plaits

Jove filter - I pair my plaits with this. It makes plaits sound expensive.

2hp mix - this is for mixing your oscillator waveforms

wasp - take the mixed waveforms and use a wasp filter on them.

pip slopes and vca are for your end of chain - use the pip slopes in your filter and your vca. Look into what EOS does and that will open up a new world for you too

mix everything in the befaco st mix in the first two channels

you can return the delay and reverb into 2nd two channels of the st mix then take the l + r of the st mix into your 1 u out . this way you can use the delay and reverb on your oscillator and on the plaits clone together.

Also I would take a lot of modulation from pams and pipe all that into quadratt and then take the mix out into various modulation inputs. You will get a lot of variation in your sound this way by mixing cv sources

hope this helps.

Get a quadratt for your 1u and you can make copies of your cv / audio from Maths using the mults on the skiff if you are set on getting one.

You will make lovely sounds with what you picked because Plaits has so many diverse sound sources. Really excited for you. In place of Maths, I would get Pams new workout and a couple of pip slope mk2.

You may find this series interesting if you haven't watched already :)

I also think mults are good when you have a bigger system and you want to get from one module to another using an intermediary mult without having to buy stupidly long cables.
-- greenfly

Can’t tell if joking or making a suggestion akin to buying a Mordax Data because of the pretty graphics

-- toodee

I don't know if I would have 10 mults but I understand why having more than one might be appealing. If I think about the star splitters I use, probably 3 are full with cables and 3 more are probably half full. I could see having 5 mults may be viable if you want to distribute cv / audio a bit more efficiently.

Generally it's about the trade-off of what the extra module gives you vs hp consumed so I have 3 one of which is passive. Thats more than enough for me.

You may be a person who likes to have 15'000 sound sources and filters, which would seem daft to me but I just want to say @toodee, that that's ok pet x

I don't think it was a bad shout by @rextable to have so many multiples. I know I have one Pams, and I normally have to mult each output using those star jacks to get copies of my signals. I have to admit I find it annoying and its very messy, It's generally cleaner when you just patch into mults and distribute from there. It's how I use mine in my one 1u row which tend to be my first choice even if it means losing the buffered mult for copying pitch.

I also think mults are good when you have a bigger system and you want to get from one module to another using an intermediary mult without having to buy stupidly long cables.

There are some very useful sequencers in the O&C when running hemispheres. However I am finding more and more that the more recently released sequencers really do the leg work in creating complex and interesting variation in sequences with built in quantization that really make it unnecessary to buy specific dedicated modules to create variation in cv. My current goto sequencers are Bloom and Metropolix.

why don't you get the es-8 instead of the mixer? That way you can multitrack your set up.

ModularGrid Rack

€339 for a tip top case gets you the bigger case others are recommending. With the modules represented in the above rack that are the same as what is in the mylarmelodies video, you could probably get all that for about 2k if not less if you are prepared to wait and buy second hand. Its around the 2.5k mark you mentioned in your original post if you want to buy new.

I get what the other commentators are saying as both the people in the YouTube clips have much larger systems they are using in their normal day to day. That being said I still stand my point that its possible to build a nice groove box in a small pallet case, the proof is in the videos. The music might not be to the taste of others but for a techno groove, a drum, clap, percussion noises, bass and chord was achieved in the mylar melodies videos and it sounded great. There was plenty of variety too.

I would buy bigger modules than these though if I had the additional space available to me. I think I might put together an equivalent rack in a slightly bigger build with modules I already have to see how much it would cost :)

You will enjoy Eurorack, I was all digital too but if you have 2.5k to play with, its great fun :) and if you don't like you can get most of your money back easily especially if you invest in modules that are made by the more famous brands.

I agree partly Jim :), but there is something about this focused approach that is really appealing.

• less clutter in your cables
  • easier to work out what's going on in your patches.
  • you are forced to learn a specific module and to learn it well
  • larger cases will inevitably get filled quickly. I would go for a larger case if I could guarantee I would be disciplined but sadly I'm not lol. )
  • As you learn more about modular you realise that there are more uses in the combination of your modules than the obvious

op said techno - to my ears ,the jams especially by mylar are pretty sweet :)

it's definitely possible - but is it a good idea? almost definitely not

starting out so constrained will lead to poor ergonomics, unrealised potential, overspending on cases and possibke disillusionment with modular synthesis

start bigger and reduce (if you feel you need to) once you know what you are doing, what modules you actually want an (more importantly) need and how you work in modular

there is no need to fill a large case with modules - that's what blind panels are for

a mantis is easily portable, by all but the smallest children...
-- JimHowell1970

I think it's possible, you just need smaller modules if you want to stick to a case this size. For instance if you want the functionality of plaits, get knit instead

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/antumbra-knit-white-magpie-panel

I think these two videos will help you plan a small case as both are excellent.

I have both but pams gets more use. I only end up using the temps if I want more outs but 8 generally is more than enough if you mult them.

Get Pams, Euclidean circles and Plaits. You can use Pams for your clock and modulation sources for Plaits. You can use the euclidean circles to trigger Plaits. I would advise you buy a rings or a plonk whilst waiting for the tip top stuff. The wasp would be good too as you have two modulation inputs there too. The Wasp sounds wicked with Plaits in chord mode.

You don't need VCA's until the oscillator comes out as Plaits has a built in low pass gate, but you could get the Veils and use it as a mixer for the time being. Personally I would just get a simple 4 channel mixer, it will be much cheaper for you and these things are really useful all over the place.

The advantage of playing with euclidean circles is to allow multiple rhythms playing off each other to create hypnotic grooves. You would need two sound sources for that. Plaits, Plonk, Rings all work really well with euclidean rhythms as you can get very unusual percussive sounds with them when you modulate with cv ( this will give you that moving sound ) which is what I'm understanding from your brief.

Hope this helps.

I think you will eventually end up with something similar to what I have. Take a look at my Intellijel 1 and Intellijel 2 racks, they have quite a bit more in terms of fleshing out your voices.

The guy you posted on YouTube uses Euclidean rhythms to trigger his squid. You can do it from Pams but it’s not that performative as opposed to using the vpme module.

The guy you posted on YouTube uses Euclidean rhythms to trigger his squid. You can do it from Pams but it’s not that performative as opposed to using the vpme module.

Maths not required. If you want more plucky sounds you have a low pass gate built into plaits. From what I can see he likes using plaits to give chord drones. He is using md to drive the melody in the 0 coast. He is using the veils as a mixer. If you want the veils sound, get a clone there are plenty available. Just type in veils clone

I would get the modules from the videos and then follow his patches one by one for his voices. He did a patch from scratch one time

Surely the four play is under some sort of legal injunction as I haven't seen it in stock anywhere since they announced it?

I understand the replies above and I have a lot of time on this forum for Jim, Lugia and Farkas as I've previously said if it wasn't for your previous postings and help, I wouldn't have invested as much into the Eurorack idea. That being said, it was also the purchase of a couple of Behringer Neutrons and playing around with the patch bay that something clicked about idea of rerouting signal flows and changing the behaviour and sound of these synths that I decided to explore the concept of eurorack further. I remember at that time just randomly patching inputs to outputs and not knowing why the sound was changing but a key factor around that time was affordability.

I recently posted all my racks and they are not heavily inspired by Behringer, if anything Intellijel won as my racks have predominantly Intellijel modules so if anything it was the other manufacturers that have benefited financially from my investment in this field of music creation.

I don't normally talk about this but I was going through a really tough time in my personal life and mentally I think I was shot. I think the idea of being able to patch things in different ways and then thinking about why that worked really helped me mentally as I realised at some deep subconscious level that this was also rewiring my brain and making me realise that other paths in life were also possible and its always possible to start again.

The Es-9 will take up a lot of space in the rackbrute. I have a es8 + es6 which will give you 10 in which is a lot for a modular rig and also 8 out, This combo will give you an additional 4 hp back. Based on your Wishlist- you will be ok with an es8 to run your audio into Ableton on 4 separate channels.

Even if you want the keep your modular separate whilst you go through the learning curve, Having the e8 is extremely useful as a learning tool as you can use two of your outs with the scope in VCV Rack to view your signals. One equivalent of this functionality in eurorack is the mordax data which is big and will cost around £400

Am I right in thinking that you could take the rhythms from the zularic and mix them together to get different rhythms out at bus A and bus B dependent on which way you toggle the switches?

-- greenfly
Hi @greenfly. Yep, that's exactly what I use the Short Bus for. I have multiple gate sources that I combine in that module and switch rhythms or add fills by hand. It can lead to some really fun results. And it's a passive module!

-- farkas

might have to get one of those then - I'm using the quad switch at the moment - I take a rhythm out of child 1 and child 2 and toggle between them. I wouldn't mind swapping between them both as that one is passive too.

Hey Farkas

This rack is awesome, so many modules I've never heard of,

Am I right in thinking that you could take the rhythms from the zularic and mix them together to get different rhythms out at bus A and bus B dependent on which way you toggle the switches?

I still love my Behringer filters. :P I think I've handed over money to worse causes during my life to be honest.

I was thinking about just how successful their eurorack clones are though as only the SYSTEM 100 140 DUAL ENVELOPE/LFO features on the page of popular modules on modular grid so despite them lauding the stats on Thomann as they do from time to time I'd be surprised if this database doesn't hold the lion's share of people planning their eurorack cases worldwide from experts to newbies alike.

Let's say they do a Maths inspired module, would it really drastically eat into the market share of Make Noise. I'm not so sure it would.

HI All,

Thanks Farkas, Jim, Nick and Lugia :) I will file the suggestions and look into them further. Farkas it was after reading one of your posts that I got the idea for putting the links and kinks down the side of the case so thanks for that. I think that was a good shout in one of your previous posts.

For now, I think I have managed to sort out a compromise as I am not wanting to invest in another case. I think I may next year when the Buchla clones come out (thanks for posting about that Lugia) but for now I feel I have much more than I realistically need.

I normally use the second Intellijel case for melodies and bass and the first one for drums and percussion. That being said, I can normally get a lot of stuff going just playing with the the first Intellijel case. I can use the BIA for bass and percussion and a solid kick if need be, as well as melodies. I love that thing. The plaits for melodic lines or percussion and the squid for drums and rhythm and there is plenty of modulation opportunities in that case now I've reorganised it. I gotta say the 1u format is a stroke of genius by developers and really helps utilising space better. You can also do a lot with the squid on the last 3 triggers as they have 1v per octave for pitch if the samples are tuned right.

I have moved the mx-1 mixer to the weedy whizz cab and will patch into if it needed which means I can move the RCD to the second Intellijel case. I already have a mosaic mixer in the 1U row so will see how I feel using this more than the mx-1 which I found incredibly useful when patching the output into one of the inputs to drive signals into saturation.

I am using the Quantermain in the O&C for quantizing the different voltages but I also have scale effects in the Hermod for this if required. The metropolis can also be used to set scales but I tend to use the O&C if I am mixing sequencer CV's with random voltages or offsets to get everything quantized.

I don't like heavy wavefolding but can recommend the tanh for this if you like the wave folding to be subtle. The rubicon 2 has a the squish circuit built into it which can be light and I use this regularly and if I need it stronger its a case of setting a jumper on the back of the unit or a trim pot if I recall correctly from the manual.

I wanted to keep the Clep Diaz in the first case as I want to try to see how I can utilise the clep with the nin expander to step through lfo's and see what effect this has on the many envelopes in the zadar. I'm using the RCD a lot with the Quadra particularly with the rotate function which gives me the unpredictability that Nick was alluding to I guess. So for now, the two Intellijel cases look like this with 2hp to spare - any ideas what would be useful? :) I think I might get a 2hp cv mixer there I think.

I am yet to buy the matrix mixer in the weedy whizz cab which I think will be used to set up sends to my ACL delay and fx aid for reverb when I'm not using the ES8.

https://imgur.com/a/k15ySBQ

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

Regards :)

HI All

These are my racks at the moment but I want to incorporate the nin expander for the extra 4 cv inputs but I'm struggling to find space for it.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on what you would remove. I guess I could go for the thing I use the least but I've taken a lot of time, money and effort to build these and pretty much everything gets used frequently.

ModularGrid Rack
ModularGrid Rack
ModularGrid Rack

Thanks in advance

HI Nick,

The grey ones are clones of the Roland system 100

The black one are clones of the Moog system 55

The silver ones are clones of the arp 2500

I have a few of the Roland and Moog ones. The build quality is fantastic and having used them, my experience is not on par with the anti - Behringer backlash you tend to hear from I guess I'll call those peeople purists. Each to there own though, the prices are fantastic so there are no complaints from me on that front. I pair my Behringer filter with the Intellijel rubicon 2 as there are 3 inputs on each filter and 3 modulation sources per filter as well as two outs per filter. The only thing I'd say is the hpf settings are a bit severe for my taste and really thin out the sound so I tend to not use those but as I understand they are advertised as 'faithful to the original' remakes.

regards

That looks great Lugia. I'll definitely be buying those Buchla clones, they look awesome.

I have the Behringer filters from Roland in my main rack which are awesome and the dual ADSR is great too with the inverted envelope, which comes in very handy for side chain. Just a note on the adsr's though, the travel on each slider is a bit strange in that if you want to make a pluck you have to set them really low. I'm not sure if the original Roland ones had the same behaviour.

Hello, if you are post processing this plugin is great to add sub to your music if its lacking - its on sale for £39.99 and you can get £20 off with a voucher from them.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_bass_mint.html

Hiya Nick

I'll confess I don't use all of them all the same time. The reason I have them is more for the different functionality they each provide and I generally unpatch everything apart from that main signal flow I described for clock and reset throughout the system. I do this because it helps me learn different and new techniques and helps me build my knowledge by repeating the act of patching things again and gain.

Sometimes I use the RCD as a way to trigger the reset of the Metropolis which can really provide a nice change to the sequence from the metropolis along with everything else that this module provides.

However that being said, it generally depends on mood. If I want to start something fast, my goto is the metropolis. If I want to do something more intricate and happy to spend time on the sequence, I use the Hermod with its effects. These two modules tend to be starting points for sequences that drive the melodic structure of music.

The mimetic, clep and zularic is generally used with the Squid Salmple and the BIA for cv and trigger inputs. Sometimes I may use a Quadratt in the path to restrict the range of the voltage going through on the BIA to get a more subtle modulation of one of the functions. Mimetic is fast and gives you really great percussion type random variations to the BIA as well as on the squid with a click of a button. Zularic helps in creating interesting rhythms that are derived from world music which sit well with a standard 4 to floor beat. If I want euclidean patterns I can get those from the temps or hermod too.

Predominantly though, I really like using sequences in the cv input of vca's and also in the trigger inputs of the Quadra for envelopes which then go into the modulation inputs of filters. I jut seem to get better results and more control that way than using lfo's .

I tend to use the temps and ll8 for even more control like when I want to exactly trigger something to happen at an exact point based on me manually sending a trigger to something else.

In a nutshell though, I just love sequencers for modulation and not just for driving the melodic structure of music or what sound like music to me :)

I am planning to write a longer post which I keep meaning to do comparing my rack now to the original advice I got from Lugia which was great starting point for me, and I couldn't have done without it as to be honest, I remember not fully understanding right at the start why Lugia had organised my rack the way he had at the beginning of my journey into Eurorack. Like I remember Lugia putting an Octane into my rack and I was like what is that thing useful for, whereas now I have like lots of Octane type modules :)

Another aspect is cost, I think it's worth investing in the extra modules if you can get them for good prices. For example, I bought the analogue solutions generator for £265 and the zularic repetitor for £80. Prices were too good to refuse and my thinking is I could always sell them on if required and not lose money on them

Another example of a patch is to take a lfo from ochd into the rotate input of RCD, this way the clock divider will be generating different rhythms which you can use as a trigger in of the Quadra. You can then use the output of that as modulation to the filter but its generally things of that ilk.

Oh and why the two varigates - I guess this is because I too like to decouple gates from sequences so have one in gate mode and the other in cv mode to give me that flexibility.

Hope this helps :)

I send clock from hermod chan 8 to pams. Then I take the first output from pams to a passive mult. fFrom the multiple I distribute clock to the following sequencers:

• metropolis
  • mimetic digitalis
  • clep diaz
  • zularic repetitor
  • 4ms rcd
  • ll8
  • temps utile
  • varigate 4+ x 2

Also just bought an analogue solutions generator too so will be integrating that too. I usually have all this stuff prepatched. I love sequencers :)

Resets come from the hermod too