That looks great Lugia. I'll definitely be buying those Buchla clones, they look awesome.

I have the Behringer filters from Roland in my main rack which are awesome and the dual ADSR is great too with the inverted envelope, which comes in very handy for side chain. Just a note on the adsr's though, the travel on each slider is a bit strange in that if you want to make a pluck you have to set them really low. I'm not sure if the original Roland ones had the same behaviour.

Hello, if you are post processing this plugin is great to add sub to your music if its lacking - its on sale for £39.99 and you can get £20 off with a voucher from them.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_bass_mint.html

Hiya Nick

I'll confess I don't use all of them all the same time. The reason I have them is more for the different functionality they each provide and I generally unpatch everything apart from that main signal flow I described for clock and reset throughout the system. I do this because it helps me learn different and new techniques and helps me build my knowledge by repeating the act of patching things again and gain.

Sometimes I use the RCD as a way to trigger the reset of the Metropolis which can really provide a nice change to the sequence from the metropolis along with everything else that this module provides.

However that being said, it generally depends on mood. If I want to start something fast, my goto is the metropolis. If I want to do something more intricate and happy to spend time on the sequence, I use the Hermod with its effects. These two modules tend to be starting points for sequences that drive the melodic structure of music.

The mimetic, clep and zularic is generally used with the Squid Salmple and the BIA for cv and trigger inputs. Sometimes I may use a Quadratt in the path to restrict the range of the voltage going through on the BIA to get a more subtle modulation of one of the functions. Mimetic is fast and gives you really great percussion type random variations to the BIA as well as on the squid with a click of a button. Zularic helps in creating interesting rhythms that are derived from world music which sit well with a standard 4 to floor beat. If I want euclidean patterns I can get those from the temps or hermod too.

Predominantly though, I really like using sequences in the cv input of vca's and also in the trigger inputs of the Quadra for envelopes which then go into the modulation inputs of filters. I jut seem to get better results and more control that way than using lfo's .

I tend to use the temps and ll8 for even more control like when I want to exactly trigger something to happen at an exact point based on me manually sending a trigger to something else.

In a nutshell though, I just love sequencers for modulation and not just for driving the melodic structure of music or what sound like music to me :)

I am planning to write a longer post which I keep meaning to do comparing my rack now to the original advice I got from Lugia which was great starting point for me, and I couldn't have done without it as to be honest, I remember not fully understanding right at the start why Lugia had organised my rack the way he had at the beginning of my journey into Eurorack. Like I remember Lugia putting an Octane into my rack and I was like what is that thing useful for, whereas now I have like lots of Octane type modules :)

Another aspect is cost, I think it's worth investing in the extra modules if you can get them for good prices. For example, I bought the analogue solutions generator for £265 and the zularic repetitor for £80. Prices were too good to refuse and my thinking is I could always sell them on if required and not lose money on them

Another example of a patch is to take a lfo from ochd into the rotate input of RCD, this way the clock divider will be generating different rhythms which you can use as a trigger in of the Quadra. You can then use the output of that as modulation to the filter but its generally things of that ilk.

Oh and why the two varigates - I guess this is because I too like to decouple gates from sequences so have one in gate mode and the other in cv mode to give me that flexibility.

Hope this helps :)

I send clock from hermod chan 8 to pams. Then I take the first output from pams to a passive mult. fFrom the multiple I distribute clock to the following sequencers:

• metropolis
  • mimetic digitalis
  • clep diaz
  • zularic repetitor
  • 4ms rcd
  • ll8
  • temps utile
  • varigate 4+ x 2

Also just bought an analogue solutions generator too so will be integrating that too. I usually have all this stuff prepatched. I love sequencers :)

Resets come from the hermod too

yes, I find a lot of value in reading through the previous posts but especially the stuff from you, Lugia and Farkas are great :)

If you look through the previous advice from Jim on the Forum, you'll see he has a nice formula for how much of your rack space should be roughly devoted to different types of modules. I found that quite useful as I, like you didn't have a clue what most of these modules could be used for. I understood what an oscillator was, what a filter was and others things like lfos and envelopes. Pretty much what you play with on a soft synth.

Over time I realised I loved sequencers and also learnt that vca's, attenuverters, dividers, multiples, cv mixers etc were really damn useful. There is a use for absolutely everything.

I'd keep the Turing machine and like Jim and Lugia said there are so many other uses for it.

I'd encourage you also to watch this and particularly the last bit of this video ( I watch all of it about once a week and always learn something new) about logic modules and the Turing machine from mylarmelodies you'll want to keep it, I guarantee it :)

Happy patching :)

I have similar behaviour with the clock - sometimes being one sixteenth off. I normally send triggers by ear and not care too much about the classic positions of where things should be ie kicks on 1, 5, 9, 13 in a 4/4.

Sometimes it works fine though, so I'm presuming turning of and turning on the modular has some form of effect.

In my case all the triggers work though so if its a DIY, it could be a soldering issue

ha, I was tuning my oscillators today and I was having this exact same issue with the fine tune knob. It went through my head to turn meta off after reading the manual and it sorted my issue, then afterwards I've just read this :)

quality of breadbox modules on the chromatic line are top notch. I personally love the colours.

aesthetics wise I think multiple shades of black and silver look awful next to each other and I purposfully try where possible to contrast between different module shades. Dunno why but I find the pink of the ataxia attracts me first before maths when patching, I just find it much simpler and easier to use.

Thread: Tuner

@farkas do you set it so the pitch is kind of going between the + and - on the Disting. I can never get it to be exact on a C.
TIA

Plaits has an in built VCA. If you are planning on using and external VCA make sure the one built in plaits is fully open then do what @eexee and @Lugia are suggesting.

I suggested you use an lfo as this way you don't have to worry about triggering it, if you plan on using an envelope you are going to also have to also learn how to to trigger it, or send a gate signal to the envelope.

Plug an oscillator straight into the input of a vca,
Plug the output of a vca to your mixer or whatever you use to hear stuff
Now turn the gain to zero on your vca - you can’t hear your oscillator anymore
Now turn the cv to zero
Plug a sine wave lfo into the cv input and slowly raise the cv value from 0 -10

Can you hear what is happening to your oscillator volume ?

You can plug anything into the cv input, like envelopes, lfo, or even the outputs of other vca’s. I like plugging sequencers into them, which is why I have a lot of sequencers in my racks

There are lots of other uses but this is the most frequent use and it’s when you say that you are using the cv input of the vca to shape the amplitude of a sound or for us simpletons, we can just say volume.

Hope this helps

And no, people hating on Behringer are not all 50+ white men in their man-cave trying to gatekeep the Eurorack niche, you've been pointed to the information before but chose to ignore it because that serves the rationale you use to justify buying it yourself... It's getting awkward.

@toodee - I don't recall making any racial slurs. So predictable, I knew once I big up Behringer, it would trigger the likes of you. I was actually grinning when I wrote my little bracketed afterthoughts in. It's a tad hypocritical sounding off about Behringer and then lecturing others about restraint and perspective. Who is this 'We' you are referring to - is this some strange attempt to manufacture some virtual support from like minded haters so you can feel better about what you said. Such and such agreed with me so I must be right :). That's unfortunately the thought process you suffer from - it's called 'group think' - Go look it up .

Anyway this is the last posting from me on this thread - enough publicity from me. Feel free to have the last word on the matter lol.

A message to anybody getting into Eurorack and who took the time to read this. BUY CRE8AUDIO !!!!!!!

would recommend dreadbox chromatic over these. Cre8audio modules tend to be cheap quality and are the only modules that I ever had that stopped functioning. Cre8audio tried to blame the 5v rail on my tip top bus board which has been rock solid for everything else even other modules that use 5v.

-- greenfly

I read your post. I was looking at the Dreadbox stuff. In comparison, the thing that really turned me off to the Dreadbox VCO is that you can select from only one waveform at a time rather than access to ALL waveforms, which limits the ability to self-patch, or patch unused waveforms as modulation. I found that to be a downer. The Cre8audio VCO is less expensive and offers many more features. I'm leaning towards a wait-and-see posture to see if Cre8audio has upped is quality control.

On a lighter note. I don't like the pastel colors of the Dreadbox line. It's not a deal breaker but I'd want alternate panels and that would up the expense even further.

-- Ronin1973

yes the colour scheme is a bit daring lol but they don't look as garish in the case as they do on the pictures. I love my pink ataxia and reach for it before maths on most occasions.

you also have a dedicated pulse wave output on the oscillator and the ability to modulate with cv the different wave outputs which can produce interesting shapes and textures dependant on your modulation source, so you are mistaken a bit here Ronin, you could buy two hysteria modules if you want the options you describe.

yes they may have upped their quality (pigs are flying) as for the last year they were probably the only ones through lockdown to be flying back and forth between factories during the pandemic and lockdown restrictions. the previous modules were made in china so they had no real control over the quality process. I know some people online mostly grown adult men over 50 ( mommy- they are destroying my beloved eurorack scene boohoo !!!!) don't like it but Behringer does have this luxury hence for the newbie, Behringer is a better shout any day of the week. I think they just drafted a name that meant something at one time in to buy a perception of quality Ronin but some people are easily swayed by this kind of marketing. I see Pittsburg stuff on eBay all the time. I think meh - a lot of money for something very very old and wonder if this is why the person is now trying to get rid of it.

the modules are too big for the nifty case - hence why I suggested dreadbox which are smaller in hp, multifunctional and hold their price better. I know this now as I have spent a lot of time investing in my modules all predominantly bought second hand. Yes they are pushing the message of 'buy us look how daft and cheap we are' - whereas Behringer always aim to be competitive.

you can buy the (cheap as) chipz and cellz right now on eBay . The sellers keep relisting them as nobody wants to buy them.

those goons over at cre8audio are probably loving all this free publicity :). Behringer also capitalise on this marketing strategy as well. In fact you know what I might switch all my comments over to Behringer modules lol

The 1U is worth getting for the dual INPUT and OUPUTs. The outputs are a nice way of interfacing with the rest of your studio. It takes the question of "can I connect this to that" and puts it to bed. You seem to have a nice budget for gear. So I'd get that and be done with it.
-- Ronin1973

Thanks Ronin, yes you’re right. It’s only £30. I was just wondering if I was pretty much replicating the functionality of my doepfer mixer though . The workflow would then be 4 mono inputs to doepfer mixer which are then connected to the mosaic 1u which is then sent to the uad Apollo and then out to speakers.

If the mosaic has some special auto reduction to line level built in then it’s a no brainer, but right now I’m assuming it’s just a manual gain stage. I’ve still not heard back from mosaic

Thanks @Lugia I understand this a bit better now. I think I might make a dedicated 'Moog' and 'Roland' rack. the whole setup is very competitive and from the few bits and bats I've bought they sound and work great

@hexcrank and @Ronin1973

Thankyou much appreciated. I also have 1u space in my Intellijel case and was thinking of getting the 1U line output module but
then wondered if it was just a simple attenuator. I have asked mosaic the question on Facebook but no response so far.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mosaic-line-output-black-panel

ModularGrid Rack

@toodee - be quiet

would appreciate someone replying to this as I don't want to ruin my expensive UAD Apollo by pumping in modular levels of audio.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/versions/view/52510

Am I assuming its ok to plug the outputs of this module using the level to turn down the level to the line in of my UAD Apollo twin?

just want to use my audio interface and modular without hooking up my laptop sometimes in which case I use the ES8

ModularGrid Rack

Its ok to have big nodules in your small case as long as you are planning on buying more space down the line.

I hate cre8audio so I'll help you. Do what I did and buy these 3 module from dreadbox. His stuff is quality compared to the cheap rubbish you will buy from cre8.

ModularGrid Rack

Are you using yours as a second interface with your UAD?

yes :) I have it as an aggregate device. I only use my UAD as glorified sound card really and I use their plugins so I don't have to use the MacBooks CPU.

I love the ES8 / ES6 combo mainly for piping audio and cv in out of the hybrid set up. Sometimes it takes me a while to set it up but once I have it all working its great to record stuff into Ableton.

In fact I've been looking at all the modulators in Bitwig and have started to re-evaluate whether I could downsize some of my eurorack set up.

Not trying to take away from your perspective or personal experience, I've just had a couple of very good customer service experiences with them. The other involving feature requests and what-not.

It's good they helped you mate, but its yet another example of a product that obviously hadn't gone through a good enough quality control process. None of the above has dissuaded me from re-evaluating my arguments, I would still choose Behringer any day of the week over these cowboys but I guess this is because I have many of their products and to date all of them have been rock solid in terms of functionality and performance for me

Thanks for the chat merzky, its been a pleasure :)

Just seems like an odd take to me. Especially going as far as to speak to the future readers of this thread and steer them away from a module before literally any evidence of their quality is understood, in either direction.

Just speaking from personal experience of my dealings with them when there were problems with their modules. I quite clearly got the impression that they were preying on my naivety about Eurorack and stated at one point in the discussions that a lighting bolt may have caused a momentary power surge on the 5v rail causing their modules to burn out which is really odd as none of my other modules were affected. They play the clowns as part of their marketing strategy but the reality is that is who they are and its a shame the guy from Pittsburg Modular is associating himself with them. They probably roped him into their scam to improve their credibility factor and its something they are really pushing through the shills on youtube they've recruited.

Others may have had a great experience like Andy and I'm happy for him but I can only base my assessment on first hand dealings with them. Hope that clarifies.

As for the nifty case, I have it and still use it but in hindsight, I think a Moog or Behringer skiff would have been better to create a larger more complete system than what 84hp allows. Behringer have recently been asking for some feedback on their cases and modules in terms of price and competiveness and I reckon we will see a drop in prices for cases in the near future. I recently did some calculations with power and 3 skiffs with brackets and the combined cost wasn't far off an Intellijel pallete or tip top mantis which I fed back to them. Once I can get cheaper Behringer skiffs with power, I will be getting rid of the nifty case.

I am a bit more familiar with Eurorack now given the experience I had. I learnt that companies like Noise Engineering draw power from the 12v rail for any 5v requirements but had the forethought to include a jumper on their module so users can make an informed decision about how power is being consumed. I learnt that Mutable have regulators in their older modules that take care of the 5v requirements and eventually decided to abandon use of the 5v rail altogether. Cre8audio simply didn't make similar design considerations in their modules which I guess is why they have the moniker 'cheap and cheerful'.

if someone is looking for a low-cost entryway into modular that doesn't involve the controversial and ethical trappings of Behringer's low-cost alternatives.

At least with Behringer, you are still getting the know how of Moog, Roland, Intellijel and Mutable Instruments in the modules they are putting out. Controversy and ethics aside that's still a better shout than putting your lot in with Cre8audio and a guy who is obviously not making enough money from his own brand. More fool him.

I am ok with big brands like Behringer, I buy through Amazon UK. If the module stops working, I simply raise the issue with Amazon and I have no hassle returns within the 12 month guarantee period.

Also the Doepfer oscillators and filters and better in terms of quality than Cre8audio stuff and as I mentioned before, if you want to go down a cheaper multifunctional route then Dreadbox chromatic modules are excellent. I get that some people don't like big bad Behringer but there are many other low cost alternatives out there. Ladik, takaab etc

If any newbies are reading this, my guess is one day you will want to sell your cre8audio modules and I can tell you right now your resale value will be at best half price. The brands I have mentioned above will resell quickly on the second hand market and generally do ok in terms of holding their value.

yes, they send him the modules for free and then he reviews them. I think these people are called 'influencers'. I recall they did the same with the nifty case and modules and after reviewing them he spray painted over their logo and kept the case.

would recommend dreadbox chromatic over these. Cre8audio modules tend to be cheap quality and are the only modules that I ever had that stopped functioning. Cre8audio tried to blame the 5v rail on my tip top bus board which has been rock solid for everything else even other modules that use 5v.

So disgraceful... What baffels me is that there is still a market for a cheap plastic eurorackmodule line, like their 29€ pedals. Just get a small team, design your own cirucits and release a super low-cost set of modules....
-- Gemuesepfanne

Hello, I have a few of the Behringer modules and can confirm there is nothing wrong with the build quality. I recently bought the Behringer 140 which has two adsr's with two outputs for the envelope and one inverted envelope (excellent) and also a very feature packed lfo. I got all that for £70 so over the moon with that purchase.

I'd be interested if the experts here could build all that functionality in a smaller hp footprint and as competitively priced. It would be nice to have the lights on the sliders included like I have which look slick when the lights in my room are dimmed. I am even thinking of investing in most of the Roland line just for the sheer aesthetics of how beautiful it looks.

Also I bought the 914 filter back for £46 and when I was researching this I remember seeing one by AJH at £475 which seemed like too much money to invest in for something I wouldn't be using all the time.

Best :)

HI Broadpath

When I connected my ES6 to my ES8, I had all sorts of issues with the Mac defaulting to ADAT clock for the ES8. When I looked in Ableton the ins and outs from the ES8 and ES6 were not available to me. The workaround for me was to set the ES8 to internal clock which seems to have sorted my issue.

I have a UAD Apollo Twin, UAD satellite and Behringer ADA8200 and I think its my UAD Apollo that serves as my master clock.

Everything plays in time and works now with these settings, so I thought It might be useful for others reading this thread.

Thanks

HI Mods,

Would it be possible to take some action against the users or lock down module information as there are people actively undermining this site by changing the graphics of modules and removing or altering current information simply because they seem to have some beef with Behringer.

I get that people are entitled to their views but this kind of behaviour could go both ways with others changing the current draw on other major brands like instruo, Intellijel, mutable instruments, doepfer etc.

This could then lead to people planning racks where the voltage information can't be trusted that the site is supplying on quite expensive modules may I add. I for one don't trust the numbers anymore since noticing this behaviour.

For inf0, I plan on buying the 4 play. The mA draw is 100mA on the +12 and -12 line for anyone interested in this. There is nothing being drawn on the 5v line.

Thanks
Greenfly

sorry, I know this goes against the grain but I like it. The money I save on this allows me to add to a more expensive boutique module. I would have had to pay double the price if I bought the intellijel one. I.m definitely buying it. so far I have one vca from Behringer and it does the job just as well as my other modules. it looks nice too.

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

Hello Everybody,

Hope you are all well and enjoying your modular. This is my current set up and I need some suggestions on what would be good candidates for 1U modules for my Intellijel case which would add more functionality to my system. I have 3 slots left on the Intellijel case and plan to buy the 1u dual vca modules for definite. Other than that I am open to other options. I don't think I need a big mixer as I find that I prefer tracking everything to Ableton. I don't plan on gigging with my set up. I just enjoy making music and so using the dsp from my UAD Apollo twin and satellite, helps with processing the sound to achieve less muddy mixes and side chain to my kick drum which I can save and hopefully release one day.

Oh and maybe some tips for people starting out and head scratching about how all this stuff works. I send clock from a digitakt via midi into the hermod and then distribute clock all over the system from the gate 8 output. Its rock solid.

I invested in a small erm midi clock which also takes care of any clock jitter from Ableton, which ensures that if I use internal software based vst's, these also play in time with the hardware set up. It works really well but I remember at the start, I remember thinking that I had wasted money on my hardware set up as I couldn't get anything to play in time with each other. Don't let this get you down as it's all part of your learning process. When you come from just the software world all this side is taken care of for you and you don't have to think about it :)

The other thing I would say is that there are some brilliant contributors to this forum, Lugia, Jim, Garfield modular, farkas and others. I often go back to old threads and read their very detailed replies and this really helped investigate and research some of the modules they suggest which if you watch YouTube you will miss, as reviewers will only tend to review what's sometimes referred to as the 'sexy' modules in this forum.

Ok , back to my post, over the last few months I have really been impressed with Steevio's music and want to incorporate more of his ideas into my system. I particularly like how he takes odd length patterns and hives triggers off to other voices. In fact, I love the rhythms he is able to generate and they way he seamlessly transitions to song after song without stuff going all over the place. How does he do that? I am hoping that I can replicate some of this idea with my varigate + and precision adder, which I bought specifically for this purpose.

Are there other things that I need to incorporate his tricks into my set up. I have watched some of mylarmelodies take on this and also Omri Cohen's video ( although as much as I adore Omri), he sometimes replicates modules to develop his patches which due to cost I am unable to do.

Also I have just placed modules in my racks so they fit (top 2 rows are Intellijel 84hp), bottom row is nifty case (84hp) and the other case is a 241hp custom built wheedy whizz cab.

@Lugia, not sure if you have the time available, but would love one of your reconfigs for a more efficient patching workflow, if you have time??? :)

Also, I know it seems like I have amassed a lot, and indeed I have but 90% of my modules are second hand and I have really waited a long time to buy at lower prices - for instance I bought my two Doepfer VCA's for £35 each, the Wheedy whizz cab with about 6 modules (braids, korgasmatron ver1, jp8 filter and a few more) for around £750. I recently picked up the excellent ACL delay for £158 and this unit would be over £350 brand new. It's the old brand AQA but sounds wicked and was in perfect condition. There are many bargains to be had for people particularly looking to exit from their eurorack addiction , find that the patching workflow isn't really to their liking or simply just collected the modules at new prices without spending time learning how to use them, for instance I still see online people using plaits and they have the pitch all the way to the left so that they can get the tone in a lower octave, which could very easily be sorted out if they read the manual or read a forum post where people explained how to use the buttons at the top of the unit :)

Thanks
Greenfly

If you like chipz , I would get rid of it and get the basimilus and the use that with your pams, it’s awesome trust me. I have a cre8 case too, I think it’s ok but I think their modules are utter rubbish.

I am always surprised by anti Behringer comments. Didn't Arturia use 7 Mutable algorithms in the MicroFreak? Was there a similar backlash? I can imagine some so called YouTube influencers rubbing their hands in glee with the release of this product so they can also add some anti Behringer comments of their own and watch as the ad revenue rolls in. Capitalism at its finest lol.

Maybe the oscillator display idea came from the MicroFreak.
I'm cool with Behringer to be honest , I think a lot of Eurorack gear is overpriced and cheaper alternatives is always a great option to have and certainly for me they facilitated my passion for Eurorack. If it wasn't for the Behringer Neutron I wouldn't have invested in the smaller boutiques and more well known Eurorack brand names.

I don't think I would buy this as I have an old Braids and Plaits but I could imagine buying it if I was just getting into Eurorack and something like this was £50 cheaper. Also in my opinion the ethics of the smaller boutiques who just ripped off the source code and created new modules with a slightly smaller footprint wasn't really in the spirit of Emile making her/his code open source. What Behringer have done is closer to what Emile imagined I think. It would be good if they released the code for their additional five algorithms.

Thread: ES-8 vs ES-9

ES8 is good choice but you may find the 4 inputs a bit limiting especially if you like processing and effecting drum voices separately in your DAW. For this reason I paired mine with an es-6 so that may be an option later down the road and the combined size is still 4 hp smaller than the es9 albeit with less functionality. I personally thought that was a better option although I also considered Lugia's setup at the time but connecting firewire to tb3 was expensive as I needed 3 dongles in the end that were about £80 if I recall, but if you have the dongles already this would be a great option and I still think some of these older devices still look great in the rack with their LED displays.

8 outputs are more than enough for me on the ES8 for modulation as I only use these when I run out of modulation sources in my rack or from my 2 neutrons

Why do you need your cosmix, Intellijel audio I/O and the fx aid xl as you could effect and mix in Ableton using your es8 inputs.

-- last, I recommend you lookup user Lugia on this website, and examine a lot of his different draft racks. They tend to be very thoughtful and give excellent ideas of what different well-designed modular systems can look like. There are some good designs by other folks too, but I know for a fact there are a ton of interesting draft Lugia racks available to view.

HI, yes I would second that. Lugia is ace because he really goes into depth explaining his choice of modules. Helped me immensely.

yeah :) I love me some bargains, I got the Korgasmatron, Braids and Jupiter Filter super cheap too in Eurorack price terms. I picked these up along with the weedyWhizz case for about £600 along with 3 or 4 other Doepfer modules.

That Jupiter 8 filter is beautiful and I don't think I'd ever remove it from the case. I pretty much always pair it with my plaits

Thanks
Greenfly

I'd probably think about consolidating the vcas - veils replacing both would get you another 6hp in the larger case

Branches is perfect for hi-hats - I patch mine with one of the outs from the top section feeding the bottom section - that way you can add some skips - I often patch the other output from the top section to trigger something else too
-- JimHowell1970

HI Jim, thanks for this. yes I agree about consolidating the Doepfer vca's and I will get the veils later, perhaps when I get a bigger case. It was too good of an opportunity to pass up on these modules as I got them for £35 each second hard.

I will definitely try the patchy recommended for the hi hats :)

Thanks
Greenfly

Hey all

I have about 19 hp left in my main case and about 3 hp left in my nifty case which I am trying to focus on drum duties. I have moved some of the modules out of my main case into the nifty case because every time I come on this site I start thinking about how I could use my modules better so this is my latest mindset. I am thinking the Bernoulli gate would be good for open and closed hi hats and hence why I moved it.

I would be interesting in seeing some different configs and what you would add in the missing space and why please?

Its my birthday next month so may treat myself :)

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks
Greenfly

Thankyou Farkas, Lugia, troux, 33PO, Jim for the responses.

Ok so for VCA's, I am pretty set on the new veils, which gives me 4 of them ( is this a good choice?), The means with the two built into Braids and Plaits, I have 8 of them. ( Eudemonia and Behringer)... but honestly on the modulation front, I like doing all this kind of stuff in Bitwig and it's what I specifically bought the ES-8 for :)

FX Aid XL for fx which Lugia suggested to me before. It's leading me down the path of having the track pretty much ready on each channel with the only extra bit required being general mixing tasks in the DAW. I have a whole heap of UAD plugins and pretty much everything from Plugin Alliance as these serve me well on that front and is why I am inclined on wanting to carry on using these as I am competent with doing stuff inside DAWS.

I have the Quadrax on my wish list as again Lugia suggested this but on other threads I have seen Jim mention the illustrated manual for Maths an so bought that ( this was a good decision ) and although I said I don't want to know everything, I still need to know/understand the why a little bit better.

Jim- Which ones are the others please? I was including this one in my list A136, which I can get for £60. Lugia, I think the HP is putting me off on the Tip Top one and if I want to generate sub, the new BASS Mint plugin from Unfiltered Audio is excellent for this side. I also like the effect of wavefolding when its not extreme, so I think for the price and from what I have heard on demos, this A136 looks like it will be the one, but I'm curious about the other 3 Doepfer ones now. I have kinks and it's reading yours and Jim's posts that made me look into both of these so I'm glad I bought them.

Please someone tell me what I am able to do with a matrix mixer? ....and is the Doepfer one a good one to have? Again fairly inexpensive so I think I'd go for this.

I may have to park my drum rack and just use the Digitakt for this side which I'm enjoying. Parameter locks baby :)

Ha, I think this has do go down as one of my favourite threads on here. :)

What a great read!

ModularGrid Rack

Ok this is what I have so far. The bottom row is a 84hp Nifty case and I want to turn that into a dedicated drum rack, the top 2 rows will serve as synth voices and are 121 hp.

So I will be moving things like the BIA to the drum rack but what else would you move/add? I’m quite liking the Vpme.de module

I have had previous advice from Lugia who has been wonderful and I took on board many of his ideas and suggestions. I’m yet to buy a wavefolder but still deciding between tip top, Intellijel and Doepfer . Any suggestions? For now I have that kind of idea on the rubicon 2 and I have an algorithm in Braids. I like the intellijel Wavefolder one though as I use it all the time in Softubes modular and was the reason I bought the hardware version of the rubicon too. For his logic module suggestion I have these in the distings and I think I need to learn how to harness these better before I buy a dedicated module.

Do I need more vca’s I have two built into Braids and Plaits?

Is there an advantage to buying a dedicated fx module, like fx aid xl?

I’m finding that a lot of my patches somehow end up using maths in the signal path and I end up messing with that thing for hours as soon as I see another flashing blinking light show up which as a jack near it. What else is like this?

Please don’t ask about my chipz and cellsz from cre8audio. The less said about them the better. If you are a newbie reading this stay away from their cheap as chipz(sic) products and invest in something like the BIA instead who account for drawing 5v power from 12v rails and also give you the option of using dedicated 5v If required. They will blame everybody else even you if you try to contact them and not take any accountability for poor design.

I’m in two minds about fx and a better mixer as I’m probably more inclined to record into Ableton/Bitwig And so the Es8 is really great for that side. I don’t plan on live shows lol..I’m not mylarmelodies but he is a constant source of inspiration.

Is there anything essential I am missing?

The Hermod is going to be paired with a Digitakt.

I know all this sounds mad and erratic and I know maybe the advice maybe to learn what I have but this is taking me back to what I loved before I became very DAW focused, it’s not knowing and making music that has awakened my passions and I just want to keep wiring jacks without really knowing fully what the desired effect will be. I hope some of you may be able to relate?

Any help would be appreciated? tia

HI All and Lugia :)

Quick update on the build

So far the build looks like this and as per Lugia's suggestions I have added the temps utils. To keep the costs down I have gone for the Michigan Synth works version instead of the After Later Audio version. I have also bought Maths instead of the Quadrax + expander simply to keep costs down and the Es-8 is in the case now as well. It's been an expensive month.

Unfortunately the cre8audio models didn't play well with the tip top bus boards and both burnt out as soon as I plugged them in correctly I might add. According to Cre8Audio, they agreed I inserted the modules correctly and have suggested the following reasons for why their modules malfunctioned:

1) the power inverter on that buss board is constantly putting out more than +5V on the +5V rail.
2) there was a momentary power surge of greater than +5V on the +5V rail of that buss board.
3) something momentarily caused a short across the power rails, which could be something like a patch cable falling across the pins inside the case.
4) a static electricity event (possible but less likely)

I don't know enough about Eurorack to comment otherwise, but the documentation from tip top states the following which is the behaviour I see in my case with all three LED lights :

The Zeus Studio Bus includes a built-in time delay to allow
the power regulators to stabilize before they start providing power to your modules. When the Zeus board gets powered up the +5V will turn first, the +12V and -12V might take up to 0.5 second to light, this is normal.

Also the documentation notes that:

The Zeus Studio Bus is a powered bus board, as such, it takes only the necessary amount of current needed to power the modules connected to it and not more than that.

In any case, that's my experience of Cre8audio and I was anticipating at some point to have to deal with fried modules from what I've read on forums. I probably won't be buying anything from cre8audio again as its too much of a coincidence that 2 modules from the same manufacturer burned out ( I plugged them in separately on different occasions), whilst I've had rock solid behaviour from other modules and manufacturers. Suggesting that I may have dropped patch cables on my bus board was a bit of a low blow by them as well in my opinion.

Their response has got me doubting the tip top 5v rails though now as I don't know how to check that and when I asked Cre8audio, they didn't want to tell me. Is there a way I can learn how to do that as I want to learn this sort of stuff myself? Is it a complex or hard process to use a multimeter?

Would removing all modules that use the 5v rail from my system mean that my modules wouldn't be affected by any funny business on the 5v rail? Apologies if that sounds obvious and too noobie.

I assume this means that I take out the BIA which I was planning to do for the drum rack skiff in any case.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks Lugia :) Just ordered the ES-8 I got it for a good price. Only £300 on eBay.. bargain lol.

Thanks Lugia, most definitely. I may start a new thread on the drum skiff but will look into the recommendations for sure. You’ve really helped me focus on the WeedyWhizz case. If you don’t mind, would you be able to share some ideas about the order of purchasing the additional modules you suggested please like should I focus on the es8 or the modulation / interconnecting type modules you have suggested on the second row?

I am definitely ordering the Tip Top processor as I was loving the way it was manipulating sounds in the tutorial videos I was watching the last few days but after that, what would be the logical choice of adding the additional modules?

I also have a digitakt and maschine which I tend to use alternately for sampling and drums, and tend to use a couple of Korg sq-1 sequencers and have a couple of Behringer neutrons and the Behringer model d. Its was the patch bays of these things that got me interested in Eurorack.

Thanks Lugia - this gives me some clear direction on where to go now. Thank you so much. I assume I have interpreted what you said correctly in this build. It's beautiful. Think I just need to start looking on eBay now :)

ModularGrid Rack

yes the case is beautiful, it's this one with the tip top boards built in

alt text

Hi Lugia,
Really appreciate this. I was reading through the replies and was hoping you responded as the advice you have been giving generally has been wonderful and the rationale behind your selections shows great insight. Thankyou so much for this as I wouldn't have thought about these modules and was looking at the typical famous modules like Maths and Pam's New Workout which I see in most peoples racks. I think you call these the 'shiny' modules. :)

It's unlikely I will be playing live, its more of a serious hobby for me but I would like to multitrack into a DAW. Should I consider the ES-8 and if so what should I be losing please?

You are right the AM Synths VCF is too deep for that other case but I really like this filter and to be honest was one of the reasons I did the deal on a job lot for some of the modules along with the case which is a custom built 240 hp weedy whizz case so ideally I would like to keep the module in the main weedy whizz case. If I did this would you recommend that I just do a straight swap for the Korgasmatron?

Thanks

Hi

Could someone help me with this build please? Basically I was lucky enough to do some good deals over Christmas and was able to amass the following modules based on a couple of purchases from people who wanted to get out of Eurorack. I have another 84 hp available as well from a nifty case which has a lot of i/o built into it as well as the space in this rack.

I'd like to have a system that allows me to write house/techno tunes on it and was thinking the top row for drum voices and bottom for synth voices or I could dedicate the 84hp from the nifty case for drums and the main rack for synth voices and sequences? Just don't know. Could any of you fine people help me with organising this rack so the modules sit better from a patching perspective and suggest other modules that I should invest in to turn this into a complete system please?

ModularGrid Rack