Hi, a little background. I have ~10 hardware synths and plenty of guitar pedals for the standard sounds. I’m looking to pair a small Eurorack with an Octatrack to create a FSU (F*** S*** Up) setup. Ideally using the Octatrack as a live sampler.

Any recommendations on modules? I think I’ll need a sampler (morphagene?) to feed back and forth from the Octa? I’m thinking about maths for modulation?

This is my first rack as well, looking forward to your suggestions!

so you want to Fuck Shit Up?

a sampler and maths would be a good start... I'd also add some sort of multi-fx and probably more in the way of modulation sources - and then some utility modules - a quad cascading vca, a matrix mixer...

plan your case around the modules you want & those you need to support them - rather than buying a case and then trying to squeeze modules in... I'd go for something like a mantis (nb that's a small case imo) - so you have room to (inevitably) expand into

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Yeah. Plenty of modulation sources are needed. Any effect modules you recommend?

Yeah. Plenty of modulation sources are needed. Any effect modules you recommend?
-- Monib

I like the fx aid pro... I don't have one, I have the xl version, which I really like, but if I was going to buy another, it would definitely be the pro version... not only does it store all the algorithms (or at least most of them - 200 iirc) it has a screen which means that you can see what you are doing, the regular and xl versions only hold 32 algos and only have leds to show which number algo you are using - which means you need to keep a pdf or printout handy - or load the 1st 32 algo slots of a pro with the same algos - so you can use that as an in-rack cheat sheet... also Igor adds new algos all the time and doesn't look like he's stopping anytime soon

but... that will only really get you one effect at a time, though... so maybe a pro and an xl...

If I was going to do something relatively small & sampler based today, I'd probably go for an instruo Lúbadh (as the sampler), Maths & a pams pro (for modulation & clocking), at least one analog vco (possibly the tiptop/buchla one - for audio rate modulation & to sample), a matrix mixer (maybe 2, probably the doepfer one, as it's simple to use, for mixing modulation sources to create more complex ones), a couple of analog filters and/or lpgs (possibly doepfer), a couple of fx aids (a pro and an xl), an end of chain mixer (with a send/return) and a bunch of utility modules - probably a xaoc samara ii, a doepfer sequential switch, a joranalogue compare 2, a random or chaos module & a quad cascading vca (preferably a veils clone) - and I'd probably want a sequencer too (I've got a black sequencer, that I like a lot... which might look like overkill but I'd find ways to use it v/oct can also be used for modulation & with a powerful sampler I think I'd want the precision) - I wouldn't buy it all at once, but I'd start with a case that can at least house all those modules & preferably at least another 20% to expand into...

possibly something like this:
ModularGrid Rack

having built an example rack - I'd probably want to add at least one simple and small-ish mixer too (or anothe cascading vca - possibly happy nerding

seriously don't sideline utilities - they are the key to great patches...

if you are going to buy Maths - download "the maths illustrated supplement" and work your way through it a lot - spending time to think about the what, why and how of each patch... it will massively help your future patching

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Wow, a lot of detail and modules to look at! Give me a few days to research. Thank you

my rack

**the instruo input/output modules are just place holders.

Okay, so I've started smallish (84hp rack) ... I can't seem to find the Mantis in stock anywhere, so I just got a HE Kit... sorry

It seems like the Arbhar can take audio levels for recording? However I would like to include some guitar pedals as sends/returns. I also need an output module?

Also, a filter? Unless I use the Pro2s awesome filters, but again more I/O S/R and insert effects ... any recommendation for the limited space I have left?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2236002.jpg
** How do I post a rack?

copy and paste the url

Okay, so I've started smallish (84hp rack) ... I can't seem to find the Mantis in stock anywhere, so I just got a HE Kit... sorry

no need to apologize... waiting is difficult...

It seems like the Arbhar can take audio levels for recording?

yeah most of this type of module do - output will usually be at modular level though - so much higher

However I would like to include some guitar pedals as sends/returns. I also need an output module?

not an "output" module, but an effects pedal interface - that copes with attenuation on the way out, impedance and amplification on the back in...

Also, a filter? Unless I use the Pro2s awesome filters, but again more I/O S/R and insert effects ... any recommendation for the limited space I have left?
-- Monib

fix the link and I'll take a look

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2236002.jpg
** How do I post a rack?

copy and paste the url

no need to apologize... waiting is difficult...

It seems like the Arbhar can take audio levels for recording?

yeah most of this type of module do - output will usually be at modular level though - so much higher

However I would like to include some guitar pedals as sends/returns. I also need an output module?

not an "output" module, but an effects pedal interface - that copes with attenuation on the way out, impedance and amplification on the back in...

-- Monib

fix the link and I'll take a look

-- JimHowell1970

Done, the instruo in/out modules are just place holders

Done, the instruo in/out modules are just place holders

-- Monib

can't see the rack link - the rack needs to be public!!!

expensive place holders...