I'm starting to break the ice for my minibrute 2s and created a small inexspensive eurorack to expand the subtractive sythesis sound. Feedback is welcome

ModularGrid Rack

The MiniBrute 2s is a complete system. First, if you choose a RackBrute to expand your possibilities, opt for the 6U. The price difference is small compared to the 3U, and above all, you will not be blocked too early by the lack of space: it is always the first recommendation, whatever your artistic project.

Then, to be properly helped here on the choice of modules, it is very useful to know this ‘artistic project’, your wish regarding styles of music in particular. Many modules are relatively oriented to specific universes and this is where the association will really be useful with your Minibrute 2s which is quite neutral from this point of view.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

I gefinitely agree with @Sweelinck, get a bigger case... and as you have the minibrute, I'd definitely recommend the rackbrute 6u... so they can be joined together as a single unit...

The problems with a smaller case like this are mostly that you will almost definitely want more modules very quickly... that's not to say that you'll want to fill the case in a week (you might), but you almost definitely will in the future...

I also somewhat agree with him on the modules are tailored towards particular genres, but I'm more of the thought that any module can be used for any genre... it's not the module that makes the music, it's the artist... but it is a good idea to indicate the sort of music you want to make...

now onto your choices of modules...

1 psychosis... why a stereo mixer? neither the minibrute or the hysteria & vcf combo are stereo... I guess (manual) panning and effects... but there's not a lot of control over either... better to split these 2 out and get something with cv-able panning... these are modules... better to have 1 module do 1 thing, why? so if you get bored or outgrow that 1 thing you can swap it... so better a mixer and an effects unit... for an effects module - the fx aid pro, is as good as anything for, price, size, sound quality and versatility... the smaller ones are ok.. but their interface is severely compromised by not having a display...

2 a doepfer dual adsr... why? what are you going to use the adsr for? using the filter as a pseudo vca? that takes 1 channel... so the other will be used for what?

3 hysteria... ok it's a vco... your only source of pitch information is the minibrute, which will already be quantized, so the quantize function is pointless, taking into account the rest of the modules present...

4 a filter ok

BUT what's missing... the important bits... particularly vcas and modulation at this stage...

for vcas: a quad cascading vca is a worthwhile investment (a veils clone for example) - it can also double up as a mono mixer... vcas are one of the fundamental building blocks of synthesis... they are massively important for note shaping and gain control within synthesizers and can also be used for modulation sources, to control the amount of modulation being sent to a module, with another modulation source (modulating modulation - a very powerful technique)

modulation: I'd rather have a decent quad lfo (batumi perhaps) or a good function generator (maths, perhaps) - or even better both - than an adsr in a limited set of modules to combine with a minibrute (the minibrute already has an adsr & no real way of creating a second gate to drive a second envelope generator)

maths - download the 'maths illustrated supplement' this is imo by far the most useful piece of documentation for eurorack modules... buy a maths and work your way through it... concentrating on what, why and how the patches work... this will not only introduce you to patch programming maths, but will also serve as a primer for patching modular synthesizers in general

if you only have the money for this case and this set f modules... I'd buy the rackbrute and a maths... you'll learn more and be able to do more... and then add a second voice in the future when you can afford one...

also take a look at my signature - read it, think about it, think some more, ask questions, think some more and then redesign your rack taking into account advice (not just mine), etc, or don't...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I'm starting to break the ice for my minibrute 2s and created a small inexspensive eurorack to expand the subtractive sythesis sound. Feedback is welcome

ModularGrid Rack

Thank you both.

The reason for the choice of modules was that I was looking for modules with "additive elements" to beef up the basic subtractive structure of the minibrute. I will definetly take a look at maths, the veils clone and the quad lfo modules. A few hours before I posted this, I spoke with sweetwater thus choice for a case would be the 7u by intellijel as well as the doepfer vcos, vca, and filters. But more improtatnly I'm looking for something to separate the subtractive synthesizer with additive modules if that's possible.

As for the genre/style, I'm looking into making power electronics/dark ambient with my eurorack build. The sound I'm acheiving with the eurorack build is primarily drone/noise/percussion. Something close to Blood and Sand by The Grey Wolves (this is just one of many influencetial styles of the genre).

I'm also looking for a module that could do sampling, like cut-up, lopping and mangling of sorts any recommendations?

I'm also looking for a module that could do sampling, like cut-up, lopping and mangling of sorts any recommendations?

-- Meenthgrea

I think you are looking for Morphagene by Make Noise.
Have fun and good luck!

I gefinitely agree with @Sweelinck, get a bigger case... and as you have the minibrute, I'd definitely recommend the rackbrute 6u... so they can be joined together as a single unit...

The problems with a smaller case like this are mostly that you will almost definitely want more modules very quickly... that's not to say that you'll want to fill the case in a week (you might), but you almost definitely will in the future...

I also somewhat agree with him on the modules are tailored towards particular genres, but I'm more of the thought that any module can be used for any genre... it's not the module that makes the music, it's the artist... but it is a good idea to indicate the sort of music you want to make...

1 psychosis... why a stereo mixer? neither the minibrute or the hysteria & vcf combo are stereo... I guess (manual) panning and effects... but there's not a lot of control over either... better to split these 2 out and get something with cv-able panning... these are modules... better to have 1 module do 1 thing, why? so if you get bored or outgrow that 1 thing you can swap it... so better a mixer and an effects unit... for an effects module - the fx aid pro, is as good as anything for, price, size, sound quality and versatility... the smaller ones are ok.. but their interface is severely compromised by not having a display...

2 a doepfer dual adsr... why? what are you going to use the adsr for? using the filter as a pseudo vca? that takes 1 channel... so the other will be used for what?

3 hysteria... ok it's a vco... your only source of pitch information is the minibrute, which will already be quantized, so the quantize function is pointless, taking into account the rest of the modules present...

4 a filter ok

BUT what's missing... the important bits... particularly vcas and modulation at this stage...

for vcas: a quad cascading vca is a worthwhile investment (a veils clone for example) - it can also double up as a mono mixer... vcas are one of the fundamental building blocks of synthesis... they are massively important for note shaping and gain control within synthesizers and can also be used for modulation sources, to control the amount of modulation being sent to a module, with another modulation source (modulating modulation - a very powerful technique)

modulation: I'd rather have a decent quad lfo (batumi perhaps) or a good function generator (maths, perhaps) - or even better both - than an adsr in a limited set of modules to combine with a minibrute (the minibrute already has an adsr & no real way of creating a second gate to drive a second envelope generator)

maths - download the 'maths illustrated supplement' this is imo by far the most useful piece of documentation for eurorack modules... buy a maths and work your way through it... concentrating on what, why and how the patches work... this will not only introduce you to patch programming maths, but will also serve as a primer for patching modular synthesizers in general

if you only have the money for this case and this set f modules... I'd buy the rackbrute and a maths... you'll learn more and be able to do more... and then add a second voice in the future when you can afford one...

also take a look at my signature - read it, think about it, think some more, ask questions, think some more and then redesign your rack taking into account advice (not just mine), etc, or don't...

-- JimHowell1970

So for the build I have the rackbrute 6u, maths, viggen (veils clone), batumi quad lfo, and rez (rings clone). That should be everything for now.

4 a filter ok

-- JimHowell1970

So for the build I have the rackbrute 6u, maths, viggen (veils clone), batumi quad lfo, and rez (rings clone). That should be everything for now.

Some additional elements.

Yes really, Morphagene! Perfect for getting dark moving landscapes and surreal textures. Ideally I should add a good reverb to it: there is a large choice in this area, and at all prices, but you would be interested in the Pico DSP. Its algos are excellent, it has saturations options (saturated reverb, overdrive/ bitcrush) and an unbeatable price-performance ratio.

Well, on the oscillator side: Manis Iteritas (I would’nt have advised you that beast for ambient...). Well known for its industrial and apocalyptic colors. Not very cheap. It’s still on sale but Noise Engineering is currently stopping its production... NATO required it this summer :))

About additive synthesis, there is the Telharmonic (‘3 Voice Additive Harmonic synthesis’): perfect for all kind of drones and many other things. There is also the 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator...

BUT in order to complete your MiniBrute without spending too much, and next to your Morphagene (and a reverb), I would add instead these two types of modules: a complex oscillator (Twin Waves, or Plaits) and especially a wavefolder that would thicken and make any sound source much more beefy and aggressive (Fold 6 for example).

So in summary, and keeping in mind a reasonable budget: your selection plus Pico DSP, Twin Waves, Fold 6.

As our friend @farkas says: good luck for your mission ;)

Thanks for the recommendations. Unforunatley, I can't find most of these modules on perfect circuit. However, I found erb verb by make noise to replace the pico dsp (gonna grab the Doepfer A-199 Spring Reverb to cut costs) and the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator or Odessa Additive Synthesis (digital?) Oscillator for the manis iteris; I'll hold off on this for now. Fortunatly, PC has plaits, but I can also grab the cal synth clone. And the 4ms resonator will have to do for now compared to the teleharmonic; Maybe I'll wait on this one too. Will those substitues work?

ps. Can the calsynth modules be good substitues from mutable instruments? I found a few of MI's modules on PC but I can cut costs with the clones which are carbon copies.

Great question. The Minibrute 2s is a beast and has a lot of depth. It was my first real taste of what (semi)modular can do, and well, just things kept growing from there. Don't be surprised if you're in the market for another case in a year (GAS is real!).

What you have planned already seems like a pretty solid selection of modules. You need more utilities, however. They make all the difference when building a rack. The MB2s generously gives a vca, attentuators, and inverter, but you'll quickly find they are not enough, and are missing attenuverting. VCAs get used up real fast, so you may want to consider additional VCAs to the Veils. I highly recommend something that can attentuate/attenuvert and offset (in addition to Maths, of course). Happy Nerding's 3x MIA is perfect, but there are other good utilties out there, as well. You may want to consider a mult, as well, if you have a few hp to spare.

A few other honorable mentions if you have the space:
* Matrix mixer - great for blending audio or cv and can be stereo if you want. Doepfer's A-138m is perfect.
* S&H / T&H - sampling/tracking and holding a voltage has all sorts of uses, and can be used well with random voltage or smooth random (the MB2s has some random options already). ALA's SHTH or DivKid's RND Step would work well.
* Switches - something like Doepfer's A-151 sequential switch might be of interest in helping sen signals to different locations with a trigger.

Whatever you get, I'm pretty sure it'll be a whole lot of fun noise. Enjoy!

@Meenthgrea
Available today...
Fold 6: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/joranalogue-fold-6.html
Twin Waves: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/klavis-twin-waves.html
Pico DSP: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PicoDSP--erica-synths-pico-dsp-stereo-effects-eurorack-module

The other modules you mention are excellent.
The CalSynth's clones of Mutable Instruments have a very good reputation.

I want to thank you all again for helping me with my dark ambient/noise minibrute 2s eurorack build.

I will buy a few modules at a time. Next month I'm purchasing the rack brute 6U with the fold 6, pico dsp and the twin waves. Maths, and the calsynth clones will be a seperate near future purchase.

I got a few more questions:
I was also wondering about output and recording. I plan to record my minibrute 2s+eurorack build into my interface or my h6 recorder. Are there additional modules/cables for this?

I also thought about hooking my guitar into the modular as well. How would I go about doing that?

Hi,
I think you are going to need an external mixer, since in addition to the audio outputs of each voice of your eurorack, you have the audio of the minibrute. If you want an external mixer, you basically have to take two aspects into account. That it is able to handle the hot audio levels that eurorack generates and that it has enough tracks for all your voices (I see at least 5 in your rack) plus the minibrute.
If I were in your situation, I would mount a mixer in the case, so I would only have two audio outputs, modular+minibrute.
Modular Tesseract has an economical solution with good features.
This is the 4 stereo channel module with 2 send/return and mutes (12HP).
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-4-stereo-channels
This is the output module with outputs for monitors and headphones (8HP)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-master-section
The good thing is that it can be expanded with more 4-channel modules.
I have 4 stereo channels + 4 mono channels in my case.
For now, and if you are not going to use so many channels, and you want to use less HP's, you can mount a Happy Nerding 3xMIA (6HP)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-3x-mia-black
If in the future you need a 100% audio mixer, you can reuse the 3xMIA as a CV mixer.

To connect the guitar you need an input module with audio level control. It is recommended that you incorporate an envelope follower that generates CV according to the incoming sound.
There is a tight budget option that meets those requirements.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-119

Regarding connecting a guitar, I have the Befaco INamp that I can plug a guitar into, but it doesn't really have enough gain on its own. I ended up going through a booster pedal and then into the Befaco.

As for external mixers, I got a Tascam Model 12. It can handle eurorack levels, and you can either record onto an on-board SD card or use it as a multitrack audio interface. Not exacly cheap, though.

guitar input...

I've got both the doepfer a-119 (noisy - can be upgraded with a simple & cheap chip swap - no soldering - but still noisy, just less so - I particularly like it for fuzz bass) & the befaco instrument interface (not noisy and can handle phantom powered mics)

both have envelope followers and gate extractors - which are very handy...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I found the outs by intellijel which will connect my module to the inteface. I would want to look inot a mixer to blend the synth with a recent module I found:

I found the evaton rf nomad shortwave reciever. Its a reciver that produces noisy/ominous sounds. A perfect fit for my dark ambient/noise eurorack build!
How would I go about connecting both the nomad + minibrute 2s/modules into my audio inferface?