Good day everyone!

Second question in the same day! I am going to start with my first modular synth. I have just created a basic rack, but basic in the sense that I am not into "multiple function" modules (not yet at least). I prefer to stay simple and clear: one module for each purpose.

Here it is. I would like to get your opinions and recommendations... it is expensive, so I prefer to know from the experienced ones!
My rack :D

Also... what to do with the 2hp space left in the last row? :D

Thank you very much in advance!
Sam.

Sam

& the link....
ModularGrid Rack

cos jpgs are crap for this!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks! I was reading the documentation to display the image correctly haha! I really appreciate the community you have in here!

Sam

Out of curiousity, what is your goal for this rack? You have a nice start to a synth here, I'd say maybe think about more lfos, attenuators, and vcas. But more specific recommendations really depend on what you're going for with this instrument.

Out of curiousity, what is your goal for this rack? You have a nice start to a synth here, I'd say maybe think about more lfos, attenuators, and vcas. But more specific recommendations really depend on what you're going for with this instrument.
-- HGsynth

In principle, my general aim is to really learn the possibilities from each individual module. Also, in general I am not going to use it for extremely strange sounds over which I have not fully control (up to random noise). So I prefer to have a rack without all those modules with a certain random characteristic... and maybe in the future, once I am under control of these guys, I will go into something more experimental.

More LFOs and VCAs sounds like a great advice. Thanks! But also I am going to use my Behringer 2600 with them, so in total there will be 6 possible LFOs + Maths.

I don't know if it is an answer. But I'm also yet figuring out what I can do with the modules I already know how they function individually, and what are other unknown possibilities out there.

And, of course, I have in mind to never use it in live.

Sam

My perspective on designing a rack is not only focused on sound and utility but also the visual impact from an artists perspective. Understanding the utility of the modules should be foremost in your thoughts. To me the design & look is equally important.
With that in mind I will either work from left to right or place the larger modules dead center and work toward the sides. Working with modules that are the same color and size or from the same manufacturer helps me design something that hopefully draws me in visually and makes me want to create art.
Some of my designs are simply utility racks while others are fully functional synthesizers. I go through many revisions.
They usually remain private until I feel the design and balance is what I intended.
With everything available today we have the ability to generate wonderous sonic adventures and look good doing it too.

I would start by putting all your black modules in the center row. Put your large filter bank in the center & each of the oscillators on either side of it. Now that it is centered work toward the edges with the remaining black modules and blanks. This creates a balanced look to the rack. Blank panels come in all sizes. Instead of just adding a blank panel to fill a hole use them as spacers to create a uniform look. When working toward the sides try to work in the same direction on each side using modules of the same size. The doepfer wasp is to small for a center piece. I would actually buy a second one just so I could have one on each side of the oscillators. You can try anything imaginable on this site. If you keep moving things around it will come to you.

Move the doepfer sequencer to the bottom row and place the doepfer envelope generators and small mix modules on either side .
Keep the overall apperance in mind as you design it. Use the small 2 or 4 hp modules as you work toward the edges to keep the look consistant.
Save blanks for the far edges of the rack or use them on either side of the center modules to create an overall balance or visual separation.
I rarely use blanks for anything other than a balanced appearence.

Center the behringer mixer on the top row above your black filter and work to the sides with your Maths and other remaining modules.

You can try any combination you like and swap out blanks and modules until you are satisfied with the final look . I dont worry much about the utility and patching. Cables come in all sizes. I look at the design of the rack as a work of art first and foremost. The design should draw you in like a museum piece. People not familiar with modular synthesis will assume you are either a scientist or electronics technician unless you give them reason to just go WOW what is that?

You have a lot of real estate dedicated to the fixed filter bank, a very subtle module. I would consider eliminating that until you have expanded to a larger rack, and dedicate that space to VCAs that are more "hands on," the Doepfer Dual Quantizer, a sequential switch, and Pamela's New/Pro Workout as a master clock.
Also, many Doepfer modules are fairly deep so make sure your rack is deep enough to accommodate them. I was interested in the A154/A155 combination, but my rack could not accommodate the depth of the A154.
Finally, the layout you have here wouldn't be very ergonomic. Your cables will be criss-crossing and going all over the place. This is something you will figure out as you use your rack, so be prepared to move your modules several times until you settle on a layout that makes more sense. Think about how your 2600 is designed and try to mimic that signal flow as best you can.
Try to avoid 2hp-4hp modules unless absolutely necessary. You'll thank me later. It's tempting to squeeze in a tiny module to add some function that you need, but if you really want single function or one knob per function modules, bigger usually equals better when it comes to tweakability and fun. If you're trying to decide what to do with the remaining 2hp, put a blank panel there and invest in another case. It's hard to turn knobs with any precision when the knobs are tiny and buried in a sea of cables.
Good luck and have fun!

You have a lot of real estate dedicated to the fixed filter bank, a very subtle module. I would consider eliminating that until you have expanded to a larger rack, and dedicate that space to VCAs that are more "hands on," the Doepfer Dual Quantizer, a sequential switch, and Pamela's New/Pro Workout as a master clock.

Totally! I've gone through the characteristics of the A-155 and I've seen that there are left some useful modules for sequencing, which is going to be a very important part in my next compositions. That's really nice. Also, I have not decided yet the size of the rack. I am just adjusting the size of the rack in the web to the width of what I put together and expanding it depending on my needs. We are quite handy in my family (carpenters), so I'll build the rails for the rack and the rack. And I take the recommendation: More VCA's and the useful modules for sequencing!

Also, many Doepfer modules are fairly deep so make sure your rack is deep enough to accommodate them. I was interested in the A154/A155 combination, but my rack could not accommodate the depth of the A154.

Mm... In principle, I know there will be some potential which I will not be able to get. But I think that is part of my own process of learning... I like to think about the usage while I have the things in front of me... Im more a guy who understands things when I see them (and turn knobs with an oscilloscope in front of me) :)

Finally, the layout you have here wouldn't be very ergonomic. Your cables will be criss-crossing and going all over the place. This is something you will figure out as you use your rack, so be prepared to move your modules several times until you settle on a layout that makes more sense. Think about how your 2600 is designed and try to mimic that signal flow as best you can.

That's totally true haha. The only modules I know they are in the right position is the input (the first) and the output (the last). I have to think about the flow and the position of the sequencer with the VCO's haha. My first thought was to replicate the formulation of the 2600... but I know Ill have to change everything each week haha.

Try to avoid 2hp-4hp modules unless absolutely necessary. You'll thank me later. It's tempting to squeeze in a tiny module to add some function that you need, but if you really want single function or one knob per function modules, bigger usually equals better when it comes to tweakability and fun. If you're trying to decide what to do with the remaining 2hp, put a blank panel there and invest in another case. It's hard to turn knobs with any precision when the knobs are tiny and buried in a sea of cables.

Yeah, that's probably true. In comparison with the bigger modules, they lack of functionality usually. And also the knobs as you say... Yeah, Ill think about it!

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks to you for such a wonderful answer! Appreciated!!! Have a nice day!

-- farkas

Sam

NP... what I do is copy url & paste into post...

whilst you seem to have at least managed to get a decent mix of sounds sources, sound modifiers, modualtion sources and utilities... there's a lot of things I'd do differently... see my signature for some hints...

top row:

doepfer are not well known for midi -> cv modules... I'd not worry about this to start with... ie I'd drop the module...

the oscillators you've chosen... I'd probably want a 3rd - something different - either as the source for FM on one of these, or as a separate sound source...

I'm not convinced by the audio divider... what's your imagined use case for this?

clock divider ok - I use my clock divider as a squarewave sub-bass... audio in, square wave out (/2 =-1ve, /4 =-2ve) -> vca & filter

not convinced by the sequencer... I think there are better options out there... so why this one? also NB it has no quantizer built in so you need either a dual one - or a sequencer module with quantisation built in... also needs a clock input... so either you need a sequencer with clock built in or you'll need an external clock - if you want to sync to a DAW, via midi you'd need one of the doepfer modules that specifies sync - ie not the one you chose - or a different midi->cv module (mutant brain - is a very good option) - or sync via audio (I use a kick sample) - also this sequencer massively benefits from pairing with the controller...

middle row:

a lot of filters... but no other effects, I'd swap some out... add a multi-effect unit... an fx aid pro possibly 2... if 2 I'd only get 1 pro - the pro can be used as a cheat sheet for the other - delay and reverb (at a minimum) is a useful combination

I'd not spend money on a b-company fixed filter bank... if I wanted something similar I'd wait and buy a better one at a later date... I'd put a matrix mixer in it's place

the 2 mixers and 2 mults next to each other will be annoying... I'd also replace one of the mixers with a happy nerding 3 * MIA - not only can it mix, but it also can be used for attenuation/attenuversion/offset - which is incredibly useful to have (& yes I know that Maths has these - but you will almost definitely want to use them whilst you are using maths for something more interesting)

do you really need 2 adsrs? I'd look for a dual in the same space... or one that's voltage controlled, oroften less complex envelope generators work well in modular... ADs for example...

ah some vcas... not enough... get at least a quad cascading one... a veils clone, perhaps... vcas are for cv as well as audio... and even for audio they are for more than just shaping notes...

bottom row:

a-119 - it's useful, but noisy

dual slew - might be redundant (& I dislike this word with regard to modular) - maths is a dual slew! I'd drop this

ring mod... better to get the dual vc polarizer... it can do ring mod and other things and it's the same size...

maths (great module - download the 'maths illustrated manual' (work through it multiple times thinking about what, why & how) and a single lfo are not really enough modulation sources... I'd get a batumi & expander...

personally I'm not a big fan of scopes... I have an es8 so could use 1 in vcv rack and I also have 1 in the fx aid pro... neither of which i use that much... you can listen to any cv... just send it through a vcos pitch input...

mixer - you have all those filters - eq is a bit redundant (urgh) - I'd get a better mixer... again b-company (I try as much as humanly possible to avoid giving money to Uli!) if you want relatively inexpensive & absolutely must have EQ... then I'd go for an external mixer... I have an inexpensive yamaha mg12, which handles modular levels well - I wouldn't get one with fx built in though, just the base model - this will also save some rack space

so a 1/2 decent job... it's very 'east coast' subtractive dual mono-synth like... could probably do with a few different modules added - some logic and

whilst I understand that a full 9u rack can seem expensive (& this is probably 1 of the least expensive I've seen) it's not that bad... especially when compared to a lot of other musical instruments - and definitely not when compared to professional level custom instruments - try checking out cello bows (good ones cost multiples of this rack) - or to a lot of other hobbies (golf, scuba diving, skiing etc etc)

it's always useful to remember, apart from the b-company all eurorack manufacturers are tiny companies with very small runs of modules (250 is a very big run for most of them) & they are often manufactured in EU or North America - which is why they might appear 'expensive' - they're not FMCG - they're more slow moving niche goods

remember you don't have to buy all of this at once - buy the case and a minimum viable synth and add modules slowly, one or two at a time... you will learn more... and get more from your modular... plus as no plan survives contact with the enemy, which in this case is you... your plans/wants/needs will change over time... & the slower you go, the fewer side tracks you'll take - as you will find out what you are missing and then add it, rather than buying modules you find you don't use...

sometimes the more expensive module is cheaper in the long run - sequencers are a good example - for example a used metropolix might be a better buy than the a-155, as a starter sequencer, as it includes an internal clock and has a quantizer built in... amongst a load of other features - or a used erica black sequencer... more channels - so still good if/when you get more voices in the future, plus it has a modulation lane on each channel, quantisation, midi in, more steps etc etc

a minimum viable synth is a sound source, a sound modifier, a modulation source, a way to play and a way to listen... I'd add some basic utilities (the 3 * MIA, a quad cascading vca, a mult etc)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

addendum to above... as I had the edit window open overnight and didn't see the other replies before posting...

lots of good advice from others above!

I see you are building your own case:

what are you considering for a power supply? I really like the befaco excalibus - relatively cheap and quiet (most of my diy cases use these) - it's also available DIY - simple but tedious build (lots of power headers with 16 pins each) I'd recommend 1 per 6u...

I'd build 6u cases rather than 9u or a 9u and a 6u - all my DIY cases are 9u and they're a bit unwieldy... personally I find 6u/104hp as the best compromise... also it means that you can have 1 case vertical (or at an angle - 9u) and 1 horizontal in front (which I find easiest)

2600 is a good layout... I do something similar... sound sources at the top, modulation sources below that, then sound momdifiers, then control/sequencing/end of chain mixer at the bottom/front - utilities distrributed throughout

Mm... In principle, I know there will be some potential which I will not be able to get. But I think that is part of my own process of learning... I like to think about the usage while I have the things in front of me... Im more a guy who understands things when I see them (and turn knobs with an oscilloscope in front of me) :)

-- sambarroso

I mean physically deep, as in inches/millimeters. Some racks are shallow in depth and cannot accommodate the physical dimensions of an 80mm modules (the A154 sequencer controller, for example). If you are building your own rack, give yourself enough space between the rails and the power headers to fit some of the deeper Doepfer modules.

I mean physically deep, as in inches/millimeters. Some racks are shallow in depth and cannot accommodate the physical dimensions of an 80mm modules (the A154 sequencer controller, for example). If you are building your own rack, give yourself enough space between the rails and the power headers to fit some of the deeper Doepfer modules.

Oh, sorry! About that no worries... it will be much wider in the end! So I have to redistribute many things. Thanks :D

-- farkas

Sam

Hi! I've read the whole comment. First, I would kiss your forehead to express how much I appreciate it... however my style of expressing emotions could be weird in certain circumstances like this particular one... So... Thanks very much!

top row:

doepfer are not well known for midi -> cv modules... I'd not worry about this to start with... ie I'd drop the module...

Mutant Brain... Instant replacement!

the oscillators you've chosen... I'd probably want a 3rd - something different - either as the source for FM on one of these, or as a separate sound source...

I'm not convinced by the audio divider... what's your imagined use case for this?

I thought it could be nice (for bass and leads?) to replicate to different octaves. I like that sound much. Or to simply control different LFOs.

not convinced by the sequencer... I think there are better options out there... so why this one? also NB it has no quantizer built in so you need either a dual one - or a sequencer module with quantisation built in... also needs a clock input... so either you need a sequencer with clock built in or you'll need an external clock - if you want to sync to a DAW, via midi you'd need one of the doepfer modules that specifies sync - ie not the one you chose - or a different midi->cv module (mutant brain - is a very good option) - or sync via audio (I use a kick sample) - also this sequencer massively benefits from pairing with the controller...

In principle, I will never use a DAW since my aim is to create everything by myself as much analogically as I can. But you are right. If there are options with some things included I should take a look at them. For example, Erica's one and Metropolix are digital, and that is not a "No" for me, but is a "mm... I don't know..." (even if they offer such flexibility)... So I'll think about them. That's the reason why I preferred Doepfer one: 2x8 steps, even needing external modules. A bit awful, but... Again, I'll think about it and see what's more out there.

middle row:

a lot of filters... but no other effects, I'd swap some out... add a multi-effect unit... an fx aid pro possibly 2... if 2 I'd only get 1 pro - the pro can be used as a cheat sheet for the other - delay and reverb (at a minimum) is a useful combination

Haha! I have just seen the Aid pro, and it is a patology of mine... I hate digital screens haha. Whatever, I'll check modules like those! Thank you again! Of course they are missing!

I'd not spend money on a b-company fixed filter bank... if I wanted something similar I'd wait and buy a better one at a later date... I'd put a matrix mixer in it's place

Sure you are right!

the 2 mixers and 2 mults next to each other will be annoying... I'd also replace one of the mixers with a happy nerding 3 * MIA - not only can it mix, but it also can be used for attenuation/attenuversion/offset - which is incredibly useful to have (& yes I know that Maths has these - but you will almost definitely want to use them whilst you are using maths for something more interesting)

About the order... there will be too much variability in the next month haha, and probably years haha. Buy I'll consider the change! And the offset was needed and forgotten! Thanks again.

do you really need 2 adsrs? I'd look for a dual in the same space... or one that's voltage controlled, oroften less complex envelope generators work well in modular... ADs for example...

Good point. I'll check!

ah some vcas... not enough... get at least a quad cascading one... a veils clone, perhaps... vcas are for cv as well as audio... and even for audio they are for more than just shaping notes...

I think I don't appreciate them yet, but I'll consider all recommendations... all of you point that out like if I was crazy haha. I am, but I'll do!

bottom row:

Will check replacements.

dual slew - might be redundant (& I dislike this word with regard to modular) - maths is a dual slew! I'd drop this
ring mod... better to get the dual vc polarizer... it can do ring mod and other things and it's the same size...
maths (great module - download the 'maths illustrated manual' (work through it multiple times thinking about what, why & how) and a single lfo are not really enough modulation sources... I'd get a batumi & expander...
personally I'm not a big fan of scopes... I have an es8 so could use 1 in vcv rack and I also have 1 in the fx aid pro... neither of which i use that much... you can listen to any cv... just send it through a vcos pitch input...

I'll do! And I see the necessity of seeing the waves to understand what a module is doing, so for me an oscilloscope is a must haha.

mixer - you have all those filters - eq is a bit redundant (urgh) - I'd get a better mixer... again b-company (I try as much as humanly possible to avoid giving money to Uli!) if you want relatively inexpensive & absolutely must have EQ... then I'd go for an external mixer... I have an inexpensive yamaha mg12, which handles modular levels well - I wouldn't get one with fx built in though, just the base model - this will also save some rack space

Sure! My idea was to have a nice output and didn't find any of my likings... that was just to know I need it haha. Sorry!

remember you don't have to buy all of this at once - buy the case and a minimum viable synth and add modules slowly, one or two at a time... you will learn more... and get more from your modular... plus as no plan survives contact with the enemy, which in this case is you... your plans/wants/needs will change over time... & the slower you go, the fewer side tracks you'll take - as you will find out what you are missing and then add it, rather than buying modules you find you don't use...

My economy allows me to mount it at a not very fast pace... so I considered it from the beginning haha. Since I have the 2600, I'll buy what can be an extra to it and increase it slowly!

-- JimHowell1970

Sam

I see you are building your own case:

what are you considering for a power supply? I really like the befaco excalibus - relatively cheap and quiet (most of my diy cases use these) - it's also available DIY - simple but tedious build (lots of power headers with 16 pins each) I'd recommend 1 per 6u...

Uh... That's great! I thought on "Sinusoda Juice & Straw". But Befaco is like cheaper and seems to be much of my liking haha. Thank you very much for the recommendation (I'll take the assambled one haha, don't want it to be so DIY!). And yes, I'll divide the synth in racks of 6u each, so I'll use one per rack!

I'd build 6u cases rather than 9u or a 9u and a 6u - all my DIY cases are 9u and they're a bit unwieldy... personally I find 6u/104hp as the best compromise... also it means that you can have 1 case vertical (or at an angle - 9u) and 1 horizontal in front (which I find easiest)

Yep, 104hp seems nice. I'll take measures and see.

2600 is a good layout... I do something similar... sound sources at the top, modulation sources below that, then sound momdifiers, then control/sequencing/end of chain mixer at the bottom/front - utilities distrributed throughout
-- JimHowell1970

Really appreciate your time dude... Thanks for taking (mostly) the synth down and build a better one with the recommendations haha!

Sam

Hi! I've read the whole comment. First, I would kiss your forehead to express how much I appreciate it... however my style of expressing emotions could be weird in certain circumstances like this particular one... So... Thanks very much!

Thanks... is more than enough!!!

top row:

Mutant Brain... Instant replacement!

I thought it could be nice (for bass and leads?) to replicate to different octaves. I like that sound much. Or to simply control different LFOs.

yeah maybe... but I'd just go for a clock divider to start...

In principle, I will never use a DAW since my aim is to create everything by myself as much analogically as I can. But you are right. If there are options with some things included I should take a look at them. For example, Erica's one and Metropolix are digital, and that is not a "No" for me, but is a "mm... I don't know..." (even if they offer such flexibility)... So I'll think about them. That's the reason why I preferred Doepfer one: 2x8 steps, even needing external modules. A bit awful, but... Again, I'll think about it and see what's more out there.

the whole thing is a specialised analogue computer... that some components are digital is irrelevant imo - use whatever modules are best for the purpose/function... sometimes it will be analogue, sometimes it will be digital...

so I wouldn't get hung up on analog v digital - there are lots of great digital modules... digital sound sources sound great through analog filters, digital sequencers are not in the audio path... and digital effects can get you a lot of options (& therefore potentially more interesting results) for less space and cash than analog ones (in a lot of cases)

if you're not going to use a DAW (in terms of modular I only use mine for recording and sync - so everything is in time, but I do also use soft synths and record guitars, vocals etc with it and edit, process and mix in there too) then I'd get a clock source - unless you already have a clock! as I said, you'll want a quantizer, a clock and probably the controller for the a-155, if you decide to stick with it & possibly a second a-155 (& probably another sequencer and a precision adder or 2 - for transposition)

middle row:

Haha! I have just seen the Aid pro, and it is a patology of mine... I hate digital screens haha. Whatever, I'll check modules like those! Thank you again! Of course they are missing!

in this case the screen on the fx aid pro makes it 1000 * more useful than it's little brothers - a bank of LED indicators is horrible as it's difficult to remember which algo is where....

Sure you are right!

About the order... there will be too much variability in the next month haha, and probably years haha. Buy I'll consider the change! And the offset was needed and forgotten! Thanks again.

Good point. I'll check!

not only are there some adsrs that are voltage controlled, there are some that have gate outputs per stage... also really useful....

I think I don't appreciate them yet, but I'll consider all recommendations... all of you point that out like if I was crazy haha. I am, but I'll do!

vcas are needed if you want to shape notes - oscillator -> vca in/ envelope generator -> vca cv in/vca out -> filter (or filter before vca)... but they are also useful for controlling levels over time, gently varying the gain of a drone and adjusting the amount of a modulation signal being sent to a modulation input (& lots of other things) - they're modular synth 101 - it doesn't mean you absolutely need them, but they do make life much simpler... unless you have lots of hands to control many different knobs at the same time...

bottom row:

Will check replacements.

I like the befaco instrument interface... I have both and use both... it's not that the a-119 is bad, it's just not clean... the befaco is much cleaner...

I'll do! And I see the necessity of seeing the waves to understand what a module is doing, so for me an oscilloscope is a must haha.

that's also another reason why the fx aid pro is useful... it includes a basic scope... which you can use whilst processing another signal...

Sure! My idea was to have a nice output and didn't find any of my likings... that was just to know I need it haha. Sorry!

I have a tesseract modular tex-mix - which is expandable (4 mono or stereo channels at a time)... and inexpensive... currently mine is 12 mono channels & 4 stereo channels - it has cue, mutes, vcas (mono channels), headphones and 2 send/returns - all very useful features!!!

My economy allows me to mount it at a not very fast pace... so I considered it from the beginning haha. Since I have the 2600, I'll buy what can be an extra to it and increase it slowly!
-- sambarroso