Many years since I purchased the m32, haven't managed to expand it. I am now defientely going to do it and wondering if I should purchase a second M32, a DFAm, or seperate modules that would fit nicely in a 60hp moog case. Reasoning behind the case is a)aesthetics, b)space constraint, c)budget- I don't think I can afford something more that a 3- tier moog 60hp rack. (ok maybe 4 - tier in the very distant future).

Currently my main problem is the lack of oscilators, so I need at least a couple of them, and I am also in love with the SEM like filter from AJH which I am not sure if it would blend well.

What other type of modules are neseccary ?

Anyway. Any suggestions are very welcome!

It is usually easier to advise you if we know what you expect from your instrument.

The DFAM will be a 'technically' perfect complement to your Mother-32. But as you know, it is a module mainly dedicated to percussive sounds. If you want to join more melodic paths, the Subharmonicon would be a better companion.

And if you want to explore sound with much more freedom and absolutely stick to a small format of 60HP, the possibilities of choice of modules are immense... but the best advice here, especially with a small budget, will be given if you express your desire for this or that musical trip.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

And if you want to explore sound with much more freedom and absolutely stick to a small format of 60HP, the possibilities of choice of modules are immense...

but also extremely limited...

by the time you include a power supply - usually 4hp - you're down to 56hp for actual modules... which is not a lot of room at all... especially if you want 2 extra oscillators and the support modules required to make the most of them - vcas, filters, modulation sources, envelopes, mixers, effects etc etc... otherwise you may find yourself trying to add too many very small modules - which leads to poor ergonomics (tending towards unuseable) and potentially trying to fit modules that are too deep into the case usinf standoffs - which is ugly and potentially hazardous to both the power supply and the modules...

I would suggest getting a substantially larger case - a tiptop mantis is a great starter case - best bang for buck in terms of hp/cost/decent power/manufacturer reputation - and buying fewer modules initially (& some blank panels - cereal box cardboard can be used) and then expanding the modules slowly as you get an idea of what you want...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

If you decide to opt for the 60 HP Moog case solution, and without prejudging a too specific musical orientation, one could imagine this setup next to your Mother-32...
ModularGrid Rack

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

And if you want to explore sound with much more freedom and absolutely stick to a small format of 60HP, the possibilities of choice of modules are immense...

but also extremely limited...

by the time you include a power supply - usually 4hp - you're down to 56hp for actual modules... which is not a lot of room at all... especially if you want 2 extra oscillators and the support modules required to make the most of them - vcas, filters, modulation sources, envelopes, mixers, effects etc etc... otherwise you may find yourself trying to add too many very small modules - which leads to poor ergonomics (tending towards unuseable) and potentially trying to fit modules that are too deep into the case usinf standoffs - which is ugly and potentially hazardous to both the power supply and the modules...

I would suggest getting a substantially larger case - a tiptop mantis is a great starter case - best bang for buck in terms of hp/cost/decent power/manufacturer reputation - and buying fewer modules initially (& some blank panels - cereal box cardboard can be used) and then expanding the modules slowly as you get an idea of what you want...

-- JimHowell1970

why is it dangerous for your modules or powedsupply?

trying to fit modules that are too deep into the case usinf standoffs - which is ugly and potentially hazardous to both the power supply and the modules...

why is it dangerous for your modules or powedsupply?
-- ThierryH

loose cables, screws etc can fit in between the gap left by the standoff and potentially short modules/power supply...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities