Hi everyone,
I would like to have some opinions/suggestions/feedback on a modular setup i'm planning at the moment (at the moment I only have half of the modules presented on the photo).

So, my intention for this modular setup is to use it with big sound sculptures i'm building. I'm activating dc motors and solenoids to produce different sounds in the sculptures (hence the module on the top left - the gate inputs are taken from a Beatstep sequencer).
This also explains not having any oscillators in the system, i like to use only the electroacoustic sounds generated in the sculptures, which are picked up and driven into the modular with 4 contact microphones (plugged into the Tausend dB).

The suggestions and feedback I'm searching for is in regards to the modules I've chosen to create different modulations and audio signal processing.
Some sculptures are more rhythm-oriented and others are more tone/vibration/resonance focused, so the goal is to have a wide range of possibilities for different approaches.

Any other modules I should consider that are interesting for this approach?

ModularGrid Rack

Thank you for your time!!

please make your rack public and post the url... it's difficult to work out some of the mdules from a jpg... this really helps us help you!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Your project is interesting. Some indications that may help you...

Among the modules to consider is the Phonogene.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/make-noise-phonogene
It is a ‘historical’ module of Make Noise based on the invention of Pierre Schaeffer (creator of the concrète music). This module is discontinued, but you can easily find it on Reverb.

Today, there is the Make Noise Morphagene (partly based on Schaeffer’s Morphophone). Also excellent are the Instrūo arbhar and Lúbadh. Other manufacturers offer many models to transform, cut and play with the samples.

For my part, I often use the Qu-bit Nebulae V2. This track, in tribute to a piece by Schaeffer and Henry, was made with Nebulae:

The BeatStep Pro is great for sequencing, but you might also need less ‘linear’ and traditional tools. I use Marbles (fantastic), but also the Stochastic Inspiration Generator and more recently the Pamela’s PRO Workout (ideal for organizing gates).

Finally, do not forget a dedicated lfo (ex. Batumi, Ochd), and of course some utilities...

PS. Among the best contact microphones: https://jezrileyfrench.co.uk/contact-microphones.php

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Seems like I am basically repeating the reply above this one. So +1 :)
As for Musique Concrete, it was about tape splicing/cutting and reversing to create new sounds from existing ones. The module to go for is the MakeNoise Morphagene (very close to the old technique of splicing), but you'll be in heaven with a combo of Instruo Arbhar (grains) and Lubadh (tape). Unfortunately you'll need to complete it with utilities that complement the set. You'll need a clock with lots of CV (Pam's new/pro workout) a Maths wouldn't hurt, a VCA/LPG and some extra effects (FxAid). Often overlooked is that Musique Concrete builds on existing recordings and live captures. Don't forget a simple sample player or maybe even an ES-8 to capture/borrow any audio from the PC/Mac.

Cheers,
R.

It's a machine that demands devotion close to obsession. It's a machine you can fall in love with.