Hi guys!

This is my current rack:

iben rack

I also use a Behringer TD-3-MO and a Drumbrute Impact drum machine. I'm wondering what I should use the last 11 HP for? What do you think is really missing? I'm thinking about adding the ochd expander and Instruō Tš-L v2 oscillator. Any other ideas are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Do you want to know how this rack sounds? Check out my youtube channel!

Cheers, Ben

and the link:

ModularGrid Rack

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks Jim!

Hi there !
I'm not sure adding another sound source is what your rack needs TBH - even if I would wholeheartedly recommend the TsL as it's a really great little VCO, quite powerful for its size - you already have 3 !
Personnally I'd add a filter - for example I just acquired the new Grainity, and it's amazing. It can be a filter, a sound processor, or both, depending on how you use it.
Another good candidate would be an O&C, the Phazerville firmware really brings it to a "desert-island" level module IMO, and it brings enough new functionality to your rack to stay relevant even having Pam's in there already.
There's also matrix mixers, they're often recommended for a good reason, AI Synthesis offers theirs as a kit, a very nice first soldering project if you want to try your hand at DIY.
These are mere suggestions based on my own preferences though, ultimately your question can only be answered by yourself: what are you currently missing when you patch ? Why are you thinking about the modules you mentioned (TsL and Ochd Expander) ? Answering this will help others help you ;-)
Take care !

--- Voltage control all the things ---

I agree with @toodee. A 2nd filter would be a much better option than another oscillator. It allows better positioning in the sound spectrum (so your track is more 'readable'), it can tweak the sound in a way that an oscillator can't, and it can even become another source of sound (if really needed...) through self-oscillation. The choice of filter, however, will depend on your musical orientation...

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Thanks to @toodee and @Sweelinck, I also thought about another filter (I use my TD-3 currently for this purpose). Grainity looks promising ... I'm not sure about O & C and all the menu diving (I know, same thing with PAM ... but I love it!). On the other hand tons of cool features ...

Cheers, Ben

In my honest opinion, O&C with the right firmware is more playable than Pam's - and also a totally different beast that doesn't really have the same purpose/function, in my mind at least. There's even different hardware, the OCP from Plum Audio looks pretty cool. I didn't try to learn all the modes at the same time, I'm not even sure I read about what each app does at least once, I just focus on a few for a time to add them to my "mental patching toolbox" and that's totally manageable I think, the journey of learning is fun, it's like exploring a new little utility module every few weeks/months.
If you want to have a look at what the Phazerville firmware looks like, SynthDad did a cool introduction into it and some of its modes:

Allow me to recommend again that you think about how you like to patch, what's working and what feels cumbersome or what you're not using so much for a question of interface, patching habits, etc.
Maybe you like the sound of the TD-3 filter and that's working for you, but you lack manual control and playable modulation in the rack ? In which case, instead of a filter you might not absolutely need, you could think about getting a matrix mixer, or one of those new Bastl Neo Trinity plus a 2-3hp VCA... Or maybe the discussion will just lead you to new patching ideas with the modules you already have and you'll leave a blank for some time while you figure out more about what feels missing to you. After all, that's often a good thing to do if you're in doubt, it's free and modular is not a race, you don't have to "finish your rack".
It's your custom instrument, so take your time to think about how you want it to be ;)

--- Voltage control all the things ---

leave a blank for some time while you figure out more about what feels missing to you. After all, that's often a good thing to do if you're in doubt, it's free and modular is not a race, you don't have to "finish your rack".
It's your custom instrument, so take your time to think about how you want it to be ;)
-- toodee

I like this advice, there is no rush to fill spare space, let it breath a while and you might just figure out what you need versus what would look nice in the gap ;-)

For me prsonally I'm at the state of slight mental anguish as to whether I should get a Shackmat Gemini's Path, a Ripples v2 Clone or a O_C, they are all viable choices, some sensible and some fun. Sometimes its better to get the 'Bread & butter' elememnts before going for that fancy Frnch Patisserie.

Thats me though and I have 3 disinct paths I wish to take my modular, 1/ Main Case whih is mainly for generative, 2/ My Percussion and Acid rows, then 3/ I'm planning a seperate weird, sound mangling esoteric rack.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery