[https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1802754.jpg
I have built the rack up without any real thought to create techno beats what would I need to change as in get rid of and replace
be ruthless if you like..

Hi @dougie834,

It will be a huge help for other people who might be able to provide some assistance if you make your rack public (rather than private) and paste the URL of your rack's page directly into your post.

Also to clarify, do you already own all of these modules and have this much rackspace available?

I mean, you can make techno with a single monosynth. It's not really a system issue, I'd say - all the pieces are here, and any extras may just be your personal taste.

Have you noticed any problems while playing it, or does it just not get you as inspired as you expected? Do you play it much.

I seam unable to create several separate sounds at once

I see three standard(ish) VCOs with two filters, three drone machines that may not need a filter/vca, and the Pico Drum and Tiptop Audio One for samples. Are you plugging them all into the mixer at once? I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but it seems like even if you trigger a kick on the Pico/One and then plug a couple drone machines into the 6x Mix and just let them run without even worrying about envelopes/filters/etc for them, that would already be doing a fair bit.

What do you do when you patch the MCO or Loquelic? Do you just do a standard subtractive patch (VCO into filter being opened by an envelope?) I think if you did that with a VCO for a bassline or lead, sequenced it with the Moskwa, and then just plugged that in the 6x Mix with one or two of the drone machines and one of the samplers (being triggered by the Pam's), you could run all this stuff at once pretty easily, clocking it with Pam's for consistency.

Once you break each voice down to its essential parts, I think it'll be clearer to you that you have a lot going here (and probably at least one too many drone machines - or maybe too many things that aren't drone machines). I would start by trying to patch each voice using as few elements as possible and see what you have left each time. Focus on one simple thing at a time and build the layers that way.

I have built the rack up without any real thought to create techno beats what would I need to change as in get rid of and replace

thanks for the in depth resonce I really appretiate it..I do most of what you have suggested vco/ filter/mixer but looking at your post I think I have problems useing envolopes ! im unsure where to use them and when ? can you advise me cheers

once again - please make your rack public and post the url - so we can actually see what's in there... jpgs are really crap for this!!!

thanks for the in depth resonce I really appretiate it..I do most of what you have suggested vco/ filter/mixer but looking at your post I think I have problems useing envolopes ! im unsure where to use them and when ? can you advise me cheers
-- dougie834

Re envelopes: use them to open vcas (you don't have enough of these!!) - to pass audio (to shape notes) or modulation that is fed into the vca - and as modulation sources - probably via ayyenuators/attenuverters (again something you don't have enough of!)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

-- dougie834

As stated above by Jim, envelopes commonly open VCAs (as well as filters) to articulate sounds - this is what makes a sound start and stop on its own. When you use the Moskwa on an oscillator, the "gate out" goes to the "gate" input on the envelope, and the envelope goes to the filter/vca. With the filter cutoff or VCA gain turned all the way down, this should make the envelope control when, how, and for how long the sound coming through plays.

I assume you bought three drone devices because you love drones, but for now I feel like selling one or two of them to finance some basic useful stuff might help (even if you have the money to throw at this, I would at least recommend focusing on fewer sound sources for now). As stated above by Jim, VCAs and attenuators/attenuverters are big here. They basically let you control amounts of stuff (modulation or audio) and make your system more fun by giving you more knobs and more control. Make sure to look up the difference between VCAs, attenuators, attenuverters, and all that so you're not amplifying stuff too loud or not enough. I use a Frap Tools 321 and I like it a lot, but there are a ton of these (including a great cost-effective one from the company who makes your mixer and FX, Happy Nerding.

You might also consider a big function generator like Maths or the Tiptop Buchla 281t. These modules provide a bunch of simple envelopes that can loop as LFOs, be used as triggers and other sort of interlinking functions (hence the name) and can help animate your system more and give you options that work together. Pamela's New Workout is a great source of modulation/clock/sequencing for a techno setup, but having something more hands-on and less buried in menus will complement that nicely and allow you to get more freeform in switching between types and shapes of modulation.

One other utility I might suggest for you is some kind of quantizer. This will allow you to use essentially anything to sequence notes in your system, from LFOs to envelopes to whatever. Especially when it comes to improvising techno, this can help you a lot in terms of variations.

One last tip: sample and hold modules are not only a classic source of modulation that I recommend researching, but if you get one with CV and trigger inputs, you can run your mix or a single sound through it and send something at audio rate to the trigger to create an analog version of a "bitcrush/downsampling" effect. I love bitcrushers, but unless the Doepfer one has a specific sound you love, you could get a decenr sample and hold somewhere and basically have two modules in one. Modular is full of instances like this where something boring and technical is actually a simpler and more efficient way of doing something than a module built for one purpose.

Thanks for the in depth response dude I'll will read into it more and think about rearranging some modules for more envelops.. Do you recommend more vca? Or is the divkid/dopfeer and mixsix enough.. I think I will sell the grenadel drone commander

Thanks for the in depth response dude I'll will read into it more and think about rearranging some modules for more envelops.. Do you recommend more vca? Or is the divkid/dopfeer and mixsix enough.. I think I will sell the grenadel drone commander
-- dougie834

No problem. Yes, I would recommend more VCAs. A module like the Intellijel Quad VCA is a great start - 4 different ones with lots of options to try your VCA in many different applications. It's good for CV or audio. Plus it's normalized so you can mix outputs together (though it is notably different from the 6x Mix, which I recommend keeping).

Maybe take a look at other ones as well and see what works best for you and whether or not you might also want a separate attenuation/offset/polarization module like a Happy Nerding 3x MIA or a Tiptop Audio MISO. It's good to just look up the popular modules in these categories and read the manuals, look at the descriptions, and also check out the panels to see what they do or don't have - this will tell you more about how to use them and what's available than just the category they're sold under. Even the ones you don't buy will help you understand the concepts clearer.

However, for now the Quad VCA is a good one for now that is considered reliable and can adapt to your needs as you progress. That's my personal suggestion. Currently, I have a Frap Tools 321, but that's not voltage controlled and I might have the Intellijel module or a MISO myself if I could spare the extra 4 HP.

Hey, as I overflew answers, I'd say: I cannot add anything new. But I can push what was said before:
Looking at your rack before even looking at the answers shows, that you may have started out with the want of "experimental drones" and have a sweetspot for those gnarly "integrated" droners (I do and there is no shame in that :P).

Considering "techno" can be very different from taste to taste (I think we just leave the genre-discussion aside as far as possible to stay out of hypergeeking here :-D ), I'd say, if you want to combine that seemingly big interest in droning with structured machinized beats, you can ditch some modules in favour of VCAs - and mind you that Mixers and VCAs in the most classical sense differ from being controllable via external voltages (envelopes regularly). - With some more VCAs at hand, you can easily create a ducking-effect with an inverted envelope, which is good for the kick to persist in a droney techno-patch. If I had that system in front of me, I'd get rid of some soundsources, just in my personal taste, the relation between them and what else you have, feels a bit unbalanced.

For sequencing, I see Pam's and the Moskwa, which feels like a pretty good point to start, especially with technoid repetition. I personally prefer having some Logic-modules to create a few more intricate rhythms more easily, but: Pam's New Workout has Logic in it, so you don't necessary need a logicmodule to have that kind of fun.

Also: ADSRs are nice in conventional synthesizers with keyboard-input, but with more percussive stuff, snappier modules like your Pipslope will do great. Maybe add a cyclical modulationsource (an LFO or you look into your oscillators, some can go into sub-audiorates well enough).

Sad to hear that you think about getting rid of the Grendel, I think that is quite a capable voice for all things "not that melodic" and a strong ground for building dense audio.

Adding to that: I once started out with collecting modules and trying to get as much as possible - which was interesting and tought me valuable techniques, at first. I have later on sold so many modules with a relation of around "4 sold, one new bought". Gave me the opportunity to slowly get to more functional modules, to pick certain ones that are so good as tools that I have 2, 3 or even more of the same one. Take for example a filter: there's some nice ones at good value which then have less cv-patchpoints and therefore are not as versatile, allthough greatsounding.

And here, for a bit of inspiration, a few top picks, I would slap into that case without hesitation:
- Intellijel Quad VCA -> 4 VCAs, normalization to use as a monomixer, switchable response, boost-switch, attenuator in front of the CV-input per VCA (some might now go for other VCAs because of their soundquality, but I think, they sound great and give your system a very good jump upwards in possibilities)
- Make Noise Maths -> yeah I know, boring recommendation but considering price and usage, in case of what you already have, this would also really improve your possibilities big time/ otherwise: stock up on your Pipslopes for example to have a reliable point to come back to
- a Frap Tools 321 -> for all those operations on voltages that are not exciting but help you getting most of your control-voltages (and can also be used as a simple mixer...for good measure)

And now, after all that rambling about, I realize, I could just copy your rack and configure it...wait...

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2468014.jpg

Many thanks too you guyz you all clearly know your stuff you have been very helpful indeed I'm going to study your advice and make the changes you all recommend

Get a guitar pedal for your FX like a Zoom MS-70CDR. You don't need to fill up your rack space with FX Module. Just my 2 cents.

How about a drum machine with a clock or midi input for 80$ and a Beatstep, just to make this more basic. Should amount to 200$ on ebay.