Hey folks,

For the small system I'm crafting around my Mavis and some TipTop x Buchla modules, I have around 10hp to dedicate to random modulation. This rack is geared toward 1-voice experimental sound creation, think generative krell patches. I want to try to keep everything relatively knob-per-function; I understand that things like Ornament_Crime and Disting EX are super powerful and can do almost whatever I want, but none of these kinds of modules really inspire me in any way. I am a big fan of working within set limits!

With that said, my initial idea was to get a Make Noise Wogglebug, but after a couple months of planning things out, new modules have come out that look really intriguing: Nano VCV Random, SSF Ultra Random Redux, ADDAC Random Bezier Waves. I've also been told about MI Marbles clones, and I've found one in the same HP as others (though Marbles pushes the limits for me in terms of "menu diving", I'm still open to the idea for now).

What would you all recommend? Are the pricier modules like the URR and the RBW worth the cash to spend? Can I save some money and still be satisfied with a VCV Random, or find a good used deal on a Wogglebug? Should I learn all the ins and outs of the Marbles interface? Let me know!

*To note: I would eventually love to expand my setup to create a complete TTxB system, so my end goal random module is of course the 266t Source of Uncertainty. I have no room for one now, and it won't be anytime soon when I pull the trigger on a new case to begin that project. Just some additional info for y'all to see where my head is at with this.

If you have the ability to use vcv and your modular together then I'd explore the random sources in there to start with - as they are free... they may help you decide... there's no menu diving on Marbles... just a few modes & especially with vcv where you can choose them from a menu, it's very easy to get on with!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

The Doepfer A-149-1 might be an option, however it is 12 hp wide...
it's heavily inspired by the SoU.

I use several random generators (next to stochastic and chaos modules), including Marbles. This module remains in my opinion one of the best sources of random gates and voltages. The Cara version seems very reliable. Chris Meyer (Learning Modular) uses it in his travel case. And I confirm: no menu diving.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Perhaps describing Marbles as a "menu dive-y" module is not a great description, rather "feature-rich" would be better. The more I watch tutorials on the thing the more I begin to understand all its components. I can see how many of the functions are incredibly useful, but in practice with my particular rack, there are quite a few I would not have a use for, in my head at least. The thing that gravitated me towards the Mavis/TTxB modules in the first place was how simple and straight-forward their design and function was, as in "this particular module does this and this only."

I would say I'm more open to the idea of a Marbles than I was before, but still skeptical. Maybe y'all can convince me all the way haha!

I like the marbles a lot.
I guess its the most complex and easy to use random module, while you have Instant access by tweaking knobs.
If you understand it you can archieve incredible results.

The selfpatching abilities are great and you can get endless evolving random cv and gates.

The fact that it is like a kind of turing maschine comes really handy and makes it very playable.

Another idea cold be clank chaos.
Chaos seems to me more drastic and chaotic. You get a chaotic random mess and can thin out the chaotic cv and gate results afterwards to fit it to be less what you not want and to be more musically.
It has also a cv looping feature and got a sequencer ability in the new firmware.

I have both and enjoy them.

I use the marbles to dial in controlled random for basic and dominant functions. The chaos I use for glitchy, unpredicted and wild random.

Greetings

Chris