Hi Lugia,

Thank you for the suggestions. I’m looking at a multi track recording solution which is one reason why I bought the 1010 Bluebox. I already have a few traditional analog mixers. I do need a new audio interface that with guitars and synths. Bluebox is ok for quick and dirty work and compact size is nice. I’m looking at the Tascam 12 channel mixer recorder that has preamps plus an audio interface as well.
-- sacguy71

Not trying to be pedantic or anything but when you say 1010 Bluebox...do you mean Bitbox? I was looking for Bluebox in the modules under 1010 music and didn't see a Bluebox so thought you might be referencing the BitBox.

JB

Glad to see that I’m not alone with problems buying from Control in NYC. I like the folks at Patchwerks and Detroit Modular. Knowledgeable, friendly and fast shipping. I’ve also had fast service from Perfect Circuit and Analogue Haven Shawn has a lot of hard to find modules and is helpful with my questions.
-- sacguy71

Agree 100% on DM, PC, and AH...in fact, after Control admitted (4weeks later) that they screwed up my order of a Ts-L, I ordered one from Analogue Haven and it came three days later! Great experience with Analogue Haven as well as Detroit Modular and Perfect Circuit.

JB

Hi all,

I am considering selling my Make Noise Shared System on MG, but since the marketplace is coupled to single modules only, how do I offer this system for sale here? Selinng the individual modules is not an option, I'm afraid. Suggestions are welcome!

Kind regards,

ds
-- deathspell

All you can do is list it and state that you aren't interested in parting it out...I would also list it on the Facebook group "The Mostly-Modular Synthesizer Garage Sale"...I've always had good luck buying on that group...just always use PayPal 3% to protect the buyer and seller IMO.

JB

I quit buying from Control in NYC after they took forever to ship items and screwed me on a bad cable that they lied and said would replace. Plus when I spoke to them they had major attitude, and were rude to me on the phone. Screw them!
-- sacguy71

I would have to agree with you that they have a rude attitude...I even sensed it in the email replies that they sent to me when I was inquiring about my order that they screwed up. They did refund my money and happened to be the only place where I could find a Rackbrute 3U for a decent price...they did give me free shipping on that but I won't order from them anymore.

Its such a complete opposite customer service feeling I get when I deal with Patchwerks...those guys go above and beyond to make sure i'm happy with whatever I order from them...they are my go to now

JB

Very cool...look forward to seeing more videos from this setup! Excuse the drool, so many sweet modules in there...been looking at Morphagene pretty closely for a while, be interested to hear what you do with that

JB

I have been enjoying the saw coming from my Ts-L :)
One thing I wish modular builders would start doing is switching the dials they use for coarse vs fine adjustments. I think the fine adjustment should always use the bigger dial...IMHO

JB

Curiously, no one mentions Dfam. It's an amazing machine, solo or in conjunction with a modular.
Here, a performance among dozens of others on YT.

-- Sweelinck

My son just got a DFAM so I might have to give it a try sometime when he is not using it.

JB

Start with a dual filter, then. Something like the Intellijel Morgasmatron, which can work as a stereo VCF but which ALSO can work as two separate VCFs. You can also use this as a "mixer" to go from two sources to a post-filtered "sum" output. This is what I would suggest, as these filters have plenty of different modes as well as separate modulation paths...which, again, you can apply to BOTH filters if desired.

-- Lugia

So glad somebody made this recommendation to me ;) I have Sirius' Veil sitting between my Void Modular Gravitational Waves on one side and Instruo Ts-L on the other.

JB

When I hear 5HP, I think Xodes LB5. Great logic module!
-- Sweelinck

Thanks for the recommendation! Have not heard of the LB5, looks very interesting. I was hoping between the CVilization, Boundary, and MK4 that I would have a decent amount of logic control potential but maybe I need to consider something additional.

JB

CHINA!

-- Lugia

LOL...I will take a look at some of these...I've zero experience with anything stompbox related so will need to do the research but the ability to sort of exponentially add flexibility to the 3U setup with a module that can add a couple of these sounds really interesting...Thanks for the references!!

JB

Nice job...love the microcassette samples, what are you running that into on the right?

JB

Go back to the build and pull down the "screenshot" selection from the "views" menu and refresh that. That fixes that earlier rack problem. As for the "what goes here" issue, how about this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-hendrikson-- This lets you add a stompbox or three to the build, meaning that you can add more complexity via reverb, delay, chorus, et al pedals. Move the Ciao! to the right end of the skiff, then put the Hendrickson before that.

This is always a useful move when doing skiff builds. 4 or 5 hp can equal MANY hp by shunting the signal off to external devices.

-- Lugia

Hmmm...I've never looked at stompboxes...any suggestions on where to start?

JB

The original Roland units had per-instrument outputs along with some trigger outs. The TR-8S doesn't offer these, instead going with a stem-like approach with three assignable output pairs. While this might seem convenient, the fact is that having the individual outputs offers MORE leeway in sound design, which both the RD-8 and 9 have. With that, it's possible to separately process each individual output if desired.
-- Lugia

I noticed that when looking at the RD-9 page that it has an out for each drum sound...I need to read up on the 'stem like' approach of the TR-8S...may be good enough for my amateur ass at this point ;)

JB

I have some decent 909 sounds in the Pique and FX Aid XL module, as well as the Blck_Noir, Crucible, and Basimilus Iteritas Alter. I don't really need the RD9. I can't say I'm unhappy with anything the RD8 offers at the price.
-- farkas

Ahh, I forgot that you can upload different stuff to FX Aid XL...need to explore that a little bit more. I've seen a lot of talk about BIA...is it something that produces more bass/kick type of sounds?

JB

I found a Rackbrute 3U for a decent price and its now on the way...I have my build below and have 5HP left to fill in. Was considering Bastl Granpda (granular sampler), Kompas, or Tromso. However, I want to use this with my Minibrute 2 (not the 2S sequencer version) and so thinking maybe I need to consider mixer like Bastl ABC or Befaco. In the end I would like to use this with the Minibrute and/or Hydrasynth and/or my Rackbrute 6U (which has a Ladik A-520 preamp and Bastl Ciao!)

You may have to click on the image to see the rack with the extra 5HP (not sure why the image hasn't refreshed even though I have refreshed it on the build page multiple times.

ModularGrid Rack

JB

The more I think about it, the more I want one. Haha

You mentioned you have an RD-8...are you considering the RD-9? What advantages do you see with the TR-8S over the RD-9? Some things you're not happy with on the RD-8 that would push you away from the RD-9?

JB

A note about overseas purchases via USPS...

DON'T use the USPS for any overseas shipping. We're STILL currently experiencing the various problems caused by Trump's Postmaster General's dismantling of the USPS because...well, Fred Durst said it succinctly: "Break Stuff". But our "First Class" these days is more akin to making sure things arrive AT ALL.

Simply put: use UPS, FedEx, DHL, whatever you want, because the USPS will get things there whenever they damn well feel like it now. Not reliable with anything of significant value!
-- Lugia

I won't use it even in the US now...this order was from Control (in New York) to be delivered to central US.

JB

The TR-8S was on my studio refit list for a hot minute...but it got dropped. I didn't like the sound; I thought it lacked the impact of the original Rolands.

Aside from your issue with the lack of ‘true’ Roland sound, how do you feel about it’s capabilities to integrate with a modular setup?

TBH, "you-know-who" probably puts out the better techno machines at this point

Any particular model you would reference?

JB

I was looking at a Rackbrute 3U to compliment the 6U I have (in conjunction with my Minibrute 2S and Hydrasynth desktop and noticed that they aren't really available anymore (a couple used here or there on Reverb).

What case would be similar to a 3U in terms of how it is on a stand. I like the height and design of the stand overall...anything similar? or close that I should take a look at?

JB

Looking for something a drum machine that could be used in conjunction with my modular setup for playing remotely. I purposely didn't do any drums in my Rackbrute 6U (yeah its too small to do any drums anyway).

Looking at the Roland TR-8S and wondered if anybody had any better suggestions in that same price range. TR-8S looks like it has a lot of cool ins/outs that could be used with a modular setup...and it sounds like it can do track out so if I wanted to I could route individual drums to my DAW (Ableton). Only thing that concerns me is that there are a lot of TR-8S for sale...maybe they found something I haven't read about yet.

Thanks for any other suggestions...

JB

+1 on pulling the DFAM out of the rack. If you're looking for modulation...there is always Maths and Quadrax w/QX expander.

JB

Unfortunately, Control says my modular shipment has been lost and that they have to refund my money. Not a happy camper

JB

4ms Ensemble Oscilator
-- dadodetres

Wow...had not heard of this one before...looks REALLY interesting

JB

I made the unfortunate mistake of confusing UPS with USPS when ordering from Control, shipment took 4 weeks to arrive into Australia. Disclaimer on Control's website does state that there is significant delays with USPS.

I am in the US and it will be three weeks tomorrow...hoping to hit the mail box and have three deliveries show up at the same time :)

JB

This has been fairly common in my experience since this time last year. Waited just over a month for a package shipped USPS from one state away.

It’s interesting though as it must be certain parts of the country that are affected more than others…I have packages arriving from Patchworks and Void Modular that I ordered just a little over a weeks ago arriving tomorrow

Hang in there, and good luck!

That’s about all I can do at this point :) just wanted to see if others were indeed feeling the pain too

JB

I ordered a QuantiZer from them on Wed. Sept 15 and it arrived the following Monday

Dang that is fast…lucky you :)

I would call Control and try to figure out the situation. Maybe it was suppose to go out and didn't.
-- catwavez

I have emailed them and they said it was boxed and shipped the same day I ordered it (9/24) so I guess I just need to be more patient

JB

Hi, wondering if anybody else from the states is having issues with shipment from Control? I orderd a Ts-L from them...will be three weeks ago tomorrow.

The tracking number they provided says "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS" with no updates. Emailed them last week about it and they said "Your order was packed, shipped and picked up by USPS on 09/24 — the same day the order was placed."

Called USPS and they said "unfortunately we must wait for this package to arrive as it's coming as first class out of NY and we could see some major delays for it."

I mean, I get that there may be some delays, but this is shipping first class...just wondered if others have had such a delay with any shipment from Control.

JB

and the inevitable second case etc etc
-- JimHowell1970

lol...i remember saying the Rackbrute 6U was where I would end...now my Rackbrute 3U will be on the way soon.

JB

I'd add a micro Ornament & Crime unit to this (8HP).
-- Ronin1973

Love my ALA O_C https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-uo-c-black-gold-panel

JB

My setup includes a Rackbrute 6U with a Bastl Ciao! as my output which I run to a MOTU 828. To date I've been just running mono from it but looking now to use both L & R channels for stereo out into MOTU 828 into Ableton Live. The Ciao! says it has "balanced" 1/4 outputs...to run stereo to Ableton, would I just use a pair of unbalanced 1/4 - 1/4 (they have a red stripe on one cable and a black stripe on the other) connected into two inputs on the MOTU 828 (channels 7&8) and then each channel then has its own track in Ableton?

I also have the L(mono) and R 1/4 outputs from my Hydrasynth...seems like I would use the same type of cables from Hydrasynth to MOTU 828 (channels 5&6).

I had been using 1/4" - 3/5mm from my Hydrasynth to Ladik A-520 preamp and then into stereo mixer in on my Cosmotronic Cosmix and then main stereo out to the Ciao! but only out from L(mono) of Ciao! into one channel of my MOTU 828...so missing out on any stereo signal from Hydrasynth.

Think I want to go L/R directly out from Hydrasynth into MOTU 828...but will use a 1/4" - 3.5mm from the headphone output into the Ladik preamp to process that signal in the modular (because I can...I think).

So, for a stereo signal, I use mono cables to L/R? Is a stereo cable only used when there is a single output labeled stereo? Do each of my L/R cables need to be stereo to get 'stereo'?

JB

U-he CVilization is on my list for my next build...not sure if it qualifies for exactly what you're looking for but it does allow for mixing, routing and sequencing CV or audio signals, in a matrixy way I suppose

JB

is there a particular module of the above that I should make sure to get first, or early in the process?
-- HGsynth

All of them.

But I would start with Pamela's New Workout and Ornaments and Crime. You're at about the $500 mark with purchasing those two. I would get them to familiarize myself with their operations. You should be able to use them with your MiniBrute and Model D. Those two modules can do quite a bit even though they aren't on the "sexy" list

-- Ronin1973

Maths would be another that you could potentially do a lot with your Minibrute as well (and has a pretty good learning curve to it as well so getting a head start on learning it is not a bad idea)...when you get Maths, do a search for "Make Noise Maths V2 Illustrated supplement" and bookmark that sucker.

Also, not to complicate things, but ornament and crime has an optional firmware called Hemispheres (which I installed) that essentially allows you to split the module in half and support two simultaneous applets with different functions at the same time. It does overwrite the original firmware which you can easily reinstall but you might want to take a look at what it offers here: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki versus the apps that are included on the original firmware here: https://ornament-and-cri.me/

JB

Thanks guys, the chain seems to work great...I stack two from Hydrasynth clock out (one to Maths, one to O_C). Stack the one plugged into Maths to go to Quadrax, and stack the one in Quadrax to go to Disting EX and everything is in sync. I'm sure there are tons of other/better uses for stacking but thats what I've used if for so far

JB

Does the Minibrute 2s have a clock out? Assuming you'll be using that with your rack? You might get recommendations to use smaller modules, like maybe FX Aid XL instead of Beads, maybe Bastl Ciao! instead of the Audio Interface II and ALM headphone output...the idea being to free up some HP to add some additional VCAs or utility modules.

Yeah, the MB2s has a clock in/out, but I was thinking of having the PNW as the master clock. I'll look into the Bastl Ciao. Thanks for the suggestions!

-- HGsynth

Sounds good, i just mentioned the clock on the Minibrute because one of my goals was to conserve as much HP as possible for utilities, etc. Give yourself some options on your build page...for generative I think you probably want more LFO power? I have ornament and crime which I think can be useful for generative and also looked at Permutation (Grayscale) but ended up wanting to get Disting EX instead.

JB

Does the Minibrute 2s have a clock out? Assuming you'll be using that with your rack? You might get recommendations to use smaller modules, like maybe FX Aid XL instead of Beads, maybe Bastl Ciao! instead of the Audio Interface II and ALM headphone output...the idea being to free up some HP to add some additional VCAs or utility modules.

I have the Minibrute 2 (keyboard version) but I honestly haven't yet used it much and so am not sure if it has clock out capability. I have a Hydrasynth Desktop (which I use as a clock source for my Rackbrute 6U). I've read quite abit about trying to build drums into a smaller rack like this and to avoid it if possible (BIA)...do you really need that one since you have the Minibrute 2s? Just throwing things out there to consider...I'm farthest from being any sort of expert like others who will respond, but based on feedback I've gotten in the past, those are things I would look at initially.

Here's my Rackbrute 6U setup fyi if you're interested: ModularGrid Rack

JB

I'd be surprised if you'd have issues until way more than three connections although it may depend a lot on the modules and the initial voltage - voltage droop is not that significant - and trigger inputs are usually triggered by any signal over a certain voltage... sometimes this quite low, sometimes it is quite high - so ordering of the stackcable chain may have an impact

don't stack more than 2 though chain them - less stress on the sockets
-- JimHowell1970

So when you say 'chain' them, do you mean chain the input that is clocking a module and stack that input to the input of another module? Right now I have one cable stacked to the output from my clock out on my Hydrasynth...one goes to Maths and one goes to my Ornament and Crime currently...I could stack from the input on my Maths and go to say input on Quadrax?

JB

What would be the limit to using say a clock output from a device using stackcables for clocking multiple devices? Is there some calculation of signal degradation to use or a general statement that you shouldn't go more than three?

JB

Wow, seriously so cool...just beautiful all the way around man.

JB

That 3U was just about there, but there was a signal discontinuity between the mono VCO and the stereo VCF. Fixed that with the Minsk, which lets the user adjust a mono signal into stereo...and natch, it's post-VCA and pre-VCF. Also, I went with the Veils due to the convenient "breakable" mixbus, as I wasn't sure that the Erica had that. But now, this lets the user use one of the Veils VCAs for signal-to-Minsk levels and then there's plenty left for the stereo output and that STILL leaves a VCA free for modulation level control. So here it is...
-- Lugia

Well, I'll take this as a sign of my learning progress to be 'almost there' :) Its interesting that the discontinuity comes between modules made by the same manufacturer. So, with the Neutron Flux being 'stereo' does that mean I could route the mono out from the demon core osc and use just 'half' of it and technically i could route another mono vco to the other half? If I had my 6U and 3U sitting next to each other, I could take the out from the Ts-L into the other half of the filter? (I think my Sirius' Veil allows me to do that)?
To be honest, I was looking at Veils for this too but for different (dumber) reason which was just to have something different to use but it sounds like Veils is the way to go here for sure. When yo usay 'breakable' mixbus, do you mean that each channel can be used independently?

JB

So I have my Rackbrute 6U build finally complete (ModularGrid Rack).
For me, it is a great complimentary piece to use with my Hydrasynth desktop and BSP.

I also have a Minibrute 2 and now looking to create a little complimentary Rackbrute 3U to use with it. I could also see myself letting my son borrow this one as well to use with his Moog Mother-32 and DFAM (maybe...lol) or just swap between this 3U and my 6U to use interchangeably with the Hydrasynth and Minibrute 2

ModularGrid Rack

Have envelopes, modulation, clock VCO/VCF and VCAs covered...mixer and Ciao output (which I think would let me mix the two Rackbrutes together if I ever wanted to) also a swiss army knife module (MK4) and buffered mult.

What am I missing? Seem like a good mix to compliment a Minibrute 2 and/or swap out with my Hydrasynth and/or Moog Mother-32?

JB

Hope this gives some insight!
FF

Absolutely does...thanks for the description. I really need to spend more time learning the BSP more in-depth.

JB

Very nice! I love all the different places this performance went...all the different sounds and drum parts worked very well together IMO. Love seeing that you're using the Beatstep Pro...I just bought one to use with my setup. Do you mind sharing what you had connected to the various CV outputs for the sequencers and drum gates?

JB

@jb61264 Haha. Honestly, you probably make far more innovative music with your 6U Rackbrute than I do with this monstrosity. Lol

I seriously doubt that, especially at this point in my modular journey where I'm still trying to understand how to use VCAs efficiently...lol...most of the cool stuff i'm getting out my setup at this point is from modulating parameters on my Hydrasynth but I've been having more fun lately with using O_C and Disting EX together in the last couple weeks.

Yes, I use Pam's to sync everything. For the most part, PNW is my "start/stop" button and it serves as a master clock. I don't always take advantage of everything it can do but it's probably the most important part of my rack. I mult a few clock signals to the sequencers to keep everything in sync, and use the Moffenzeef Mito, Zularic Repetitor, and Branches for weird clock multiplications, divisions, etc. to trigger envelopes and drums.

Good to know you can use Pam's that way...I'm considering a Rackbrute 3U build to add...Pam's would be the first module I add.
Right now, my Beatstep Pro is my start/stop button to clock sync the Hydrasynth and then I use a couple stackcables from the clock out of the Hydrasynth to clock my Rackbrute 6U.

I don't enjoy menu diving which is why you don't see O&C or Disting EX. I have a Disting Mk4 than comes in handy, but I've mostly invested in modules that specialize in what my favorite Disting algorithms offered in limited form. I'm mostly using it as a side chain compressor or tape delay now. O&C offers a few things that I would like to have, so that might be something to consider.

I'm considering the Disting MK4 to replace the Ladik Slew Limiter in my setup as I believe it has a slew limiting function should I ever need/want to use it...I guess I just don't know enough about using slew limiter yet to know if its something I need a dedicated module for in my smaller setup...for me in just a Rackbrute 6U, the swiss army knife modules seem to make sense.

Warps is my most recent purchase. I haven't settled on a favorite setting yet. I do have Parasites and I've been having so much fun just trying all of the different settings. The binaural doppler panner, crossfolder, ring mods, and frequency shifter have been fun. I've mostly used it on drums, and need to spend more time with it. I haven't even tried out the delay yet, and it's supposed to be really good. I'm shocked Warps doesn't get more love. It was an instant keeper for me, but I have semi-weird taste I think.

Warps is a module that I've probably had the most fun with so far taking out from Hydrasynth and combining it with the internal osc in Warps to get some cool sounds...just need to figure out how to get those sounds to 'jump around' better now.

I do actually have two modules that may be worth considering...one is the QX Expander for your Quadrax...I finally got one for mine after waiting for months for them to be avaialable. The other is a module that I've looked closely at but it might be another 'menu dive' module that you're not keen on...u-he CVilization

JB

Wow, I feel so inadequate now sitting here looking at my Rackbrute 6U...lol
So much cool stuff in your setup, there's no way I could begin to make any real recommendations. I don't see anything like a Disting EX or maybe Ornament and Crime which may have some 'different' things for you to play around with since they have so many functions on them.

Couple of questions for you if you don't mind. How do you keep everything 'in synch'? I notice you have Pams, Eloquencer, Arpitect, etc...Do you use Pams to keep everything clocked together? Do you clock things separately but at the same time?...so not clocked from the same source?

Also, how are you using Warps? Do you have parasites firmware installed?

JB

Thread: "Normalized"

A normalled jack is different from normalizing, people should be careful not to interchange the two terms. Normalizing involves altering the gain of audio, normalling involves behind-the-panel connections between circuits.
-- snowtires

So instead of stating "The right VCA is normalized to the left VCA" the builder should be saying "The right VCA is normaled to the left VCA"?

JB

for example :
disting ex L out into veils input 1
a.n. other stereo module L out into veils input 2
disting ex R out into veils input 3
a.n. other stereo module R out into veils input 4

veils out 2 -> a L input on the cosmix
veils out 4 -> corresponding R input on the cosmix

mult envelopes as appropriate

or if you just want to use 2 channels for disting

disting ex L out into veils input 1
disting ex R out into veils input 2

veils out 1 -> a L input on the cosmix
veils out 2 -> corresponding R input on the cosmix

this leaves you with 2 channels of veils which can be used for more interesting things - like modulation!

if you are using up all your channels of veils for vcaing audio - I'd strongly consider a 2nd one that you can use for modulation!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks, that makes sense...technically, I don't know that I "need" to have the stereo out from Disting EX..there is a seperate mono output as well...I have been "playing around" with the stereo output going through Veils and then to Cosmix..but then taking the mono output through FX Aid XL and into a mono input on Cosmix just to play around with adding some 'textured' effects from FX Aid XL to the stereo signal...again just for fun/learning purposes. I also have a Happy Nerding 3X VCA that I could use for that if I really wanted to I suppose. Currently I'm just using the multisample function of Disting EX to play around with drums so I don't really need to use that for stereo at all, but I imagine if I wanted to use some sort of strings or piano or something, that I might want to use stereo at some point

JB

@farkas is correct...
if you want stereo use 1&2 for L and 3&4 for R
-- JimHowell1970
Wait, now I'm confused...if i run my stereo out (1&2) from Disting EX into Veils 1&2 Input and Veils 1&2 output to stereo 1&2 input on my Cosmix, that would be stereo all the way to that Cosmix channel, right?

I guess I don't understand what you mean by 1&2 for L and 3&4 for R...are you saying I should go Disting EX stereo out L into Veils 1 and Disting EX stereo out R into Veils 3?...then Veils 1 & 3 into my Cosmix stereo inputs?

JB

Thanks @farkas and @Lugia, definitely helps me understand that...

Another question, using the example of Veils (since I have it)..if I go into inputs 1 and 2 with stereo outputs from, say my Disting EX, and then out from just output 2...is that signal stereo or summed to mono, or maybe its just the R channel of stereo signal?

JB

Can someone help me understand what it means when a specification for a module states something like "The right VCA is normalized to the left VCA" both from a technical perspective but also from a 'use-case' perspective?

JB

Thanks for sharing this...I just got a Disting EX last week and very interested to try the poly exciter...can you explain more about how you are using that in this piece?

Also love that you have a Ts-L because I just ordered one which will be here next week :)

JB