I think that Synth Tech MU modules were in Other/Unknown because they never manufactured any MU modules. Any of the ones in ModularGrid are DIY hacks by individuals, at least that I can recall. I'm not saying to do it one way or another, I'm just saying. ;-)

Actually, is there a MG rule on that? I'm never sure if I should put a module that was DIY'd into a different format under the manufacturer of the "guts" or if it should be under Other/Unknown??

Hi again ;-)

That one user, balpirol, has uploaded sever images incorrectly. Like this one https://www.modulargrid.net/d/club-of-the-knobs-cp1c

Anyways, unfortunately ModularGrid doesn't support CP sized modules in the way that 1U modules are supported for Eurorack (hint hint? ;-) so there needs to be a blank section photoshopped in to take up the extra height so that it works correctly in a 5U row. Some people have used white blank space but I prefer black or "module color" dark grey.

I've made up several CP module images for MG and I started out by taking the image of one that already works in MG and then pasting the new module image over the top. Here's one of mine for reference, https://www.modulargrid.net/d/moon-modular-551cp

Hi,

The first two you listed "may" be duplicates, I didn't look at the listings very close, but the one on the FreeState FX is a different version.

The first two listed were 5U conversions they did from Braids eurorack modules by just replacing the panel and adding 1/4" jacks. So it's basically a eurorack module behind a 5u panel. It does have Moog standard panel coloring though.

The newest one on their site is a full redesign, where they took the Braids schematics and made up totally new printed circuit boards to accommodate the 5U format better. It's a gorgeous module and I G.A.S. over it just because of it's looks! ;-) This one has a deviation from Moog standard panel coloring since it's solid black with no white/silver vertical lines on the outer edges.

Thanks my friend! :-)

Thread: Change Log

Haha, well done! I just noticed when I accidentally made it run away! I literally cried out "WHOA!!" ;-)

I like quad VCAs that have a "separate" sum/mix output like the Doepfer A-135-1 (if you have the room) and the Bubblesound VCA4p (crowded panel but still patchable even with right angle cables!)

Many quad VCAs have a mix output on channel 4 but channels are subtracted from the mix as you patch into them. I like to run all 4 VCA outputs to separate channels on a stereo mixer for panning and then run the separate VCA mix output to processing modules like delay, reverb, Rings, etc

I added some "pedals" that are just images of plug/connector bodies so that I can more easily see if things will fit with actual use. It works pretty well with the system as-is, here's my initial test:
https://www.modulargrid.net/p/pedalboards/view/520895

I added a straight round metal plug, a right angle round metal plug, a right angle flat metal plug, and a simple straight coupler.

I've had several thoughts about it since I tried it though:
* should some special parameter(s) or a category for "plugs' be created?
* There are MANY different sizes and shapes of plugs out there, lots of work to add them for little benefit?
* Maybe just a series of generic black or chrome rectangles that are the approximate size of plugs could be used?
* To get the images of plugs to look correct certain ones need many versions, right-angle plugs in particular! Even with the handy rotate feature it still puts the body pointing a direction that might not make sense. So to do it so all scenarios are covered a right angle plug needs a right-hand version, a left-hand version, and a top-down version for when the body is pointed down through certain pedal boards that have open slots (like PedalTrain etc). I suppose if the rotate feature had additional angles like flip/mirror and top-down etc but it probably isn't worth the programming effort since I can't see that of being any use for actual pedals?
* due to their small size these plug-pedals are hard to position because the info, rotate and trash icons often cover the entire image. I didn't have a problem dragging them by the Info icon but not being able to see exactly where I was putting the plug required many re-position "guesses" and became tedious. Not sure of the value but either a button to turn off the icons or maybe just make them 1/2 or 1/4 translucent when dragging?
* I was going to add DC power and MIDI connectors but I had already spent too much time on this! ;-)

Fun video! :-)

Here's a short video on Instagram of some basic Instruro QPQ usafe:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYO02-CgAVT/

I'm never quite sure how to measure a guitar pedal when adding or correcting one. Should I measure:
A) just the box itself?
B) or include the jacks?

Measuring between the jacks can add 5 to 10 mm or more to a dimension which would help to better gauge placement and available space but might distort the image of the pedal? Of course spacing is going to be dependent on what type of plugs are used so . . .OH! Idea! ("plug" module idea removed from this thread and I'll start a separate thread for it)

Ahh, that's a good, if not critical, feature! I have the Instruo quad performance quantizer now and it does this also. :-)

Hey that was great! I particularly liked the beginning third with the quantized envelope sweeps! What quantizer were you using?

haha, thanks Sumyupee! I'd probably disappoint you since I have almost zero skills as a guitarist. I'm mainly a drummer/percussionist and a modular synthesist with basic keyboard skills. My pedals are mainly for synth use but I'll also process other instruments and tracks through them, maybe even guitar occasionally? ;-)

You can hear a lot of the synth stuff I've done over the last 8 years on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnLRice

And I post a lot of my gear pics and short audio clips on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/imjohnlrice/

Hey, here's something I did recently with guitar processed through some 5U synth modules. It was just an experiment but I'll like do some more things like this with my pedal board in the future.

Thread: Pedalgrid

it is now possible to just not select any pedalboard and drop the pedals direct on the floor. We have the neutral and concrete floor. Is that enough? Else you have to provide a "black power coated metal" royalty free hires background :)

Cool, that should be good enough for now . . . but I think my knees and back will get sore after a while working on the floor!

What are the specs for the image you'd need? I might be able to provide one at some point.

Hi,

I couldn't find where I had suggested a "rack mount pedalboard" option but looking closer at the DIY Plywood option it is actually almost perfect since the user can specify the size, very nice! So, probably never mind about a sliding rack shelf/tray/drawer option! ;-)

It WOULD be great though if you could just add a "DIY Black" option, or add a color option to the DIY Plywood one, which ever is easier. All of my pedal setups are mounted to black power coated metal and other people may be using black laminated or stained wood, so it would take care of a lot of folks to have a black DIY option.

Thanks! :-)

A bug indeed. That should be fixed now.
Thanks for reporting, John!

-- modulargrid

Verified, works great now, thanks for the quick fix! :-)

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for your thoughtful support! :-) Things worked out as expected but I've recovered financially and even emotionally some.

Hi,

PedalGrid is sweet!

I noticed a bit of a bug. If I'm in my Command Center screen and if I move my mouse/cursor over the modular racks and pedal boards so that the small pop up tool bar appears, if I click the edit tool for a pedal board it loads it into the modular editing screen. Obviously not good! ;-) Even if you just want to change the title (which does get loaded correctly) you can't because required modular values are missing. Selecting a pedal board to look at and then selecting Edit Pedalboard from the Edit menu works correctly.

Thanks for all the hard work! :-)
John L Rice

Thread: 2hp Mix

You could always just mount it upside down in your case? ;-)

Thread: EMW T-DRUM

The EMW site said this was 50 mm deep but the one I got was 62 mm deep and wouldn't fit in my case. The deepest module that will fit in my case is 50.8 mm max so I modified the module by removing the euro power header on the outside of the PCB and put a MTA-100 on the inside of the PCB. Now it only requires 48 mm depth.

Seems reasonable to me! Thanks for all the free grandfathered in large rack glitch riding for the last year! ;-)

Hi,

I'd add in a VCA, another ADSR, a LFO and a noise source. (at least! ;-)

Hey, this looks really nice! :-)

Thread: My tiny MOTM

Cute! ;-)

I lied . . .I sold it :-(

hhhm, I never thought about it before, but maybe evil's greatest power is people perpetually underestimating it? :-(

Excuse my spam: Need any gear, like a Supernova rack, Rapco 8-Pack 10' drop snake or Manley mono Enhanced Pultec EQ (early version, see history section here http://www.manley.com/peqb.php ) Make me a reasonable fire sale-ish offer if interested.

Hey, turnabout is fair play! ;-)

OK, I just plunged myself deep into your slippery zombie love! I really like this swirling nightmarish soundscape. And wow, Reverse mouse mercantilism sounds great too! Reminds me a bit of middle 70's period King Crimson.

How have you been? I hope you are well. Life is hard and totally fucked up for me at the moment.

Thanks! Yes, I modified a Moon Modular 1U blank panel for my power inlet, power switch and three multipls with attenuator. Behind the panel is a Power-One brand switching supply.

Hi, what is pictured here is a 5U MOTM style module. See: http://www.modulargrid.net/m/other-unknown-cs80-com-gx1-bandpass-filter-module

But Old Crow may have, at least at one point, offered just the PCB for sale so maybe someone made a DIY version of it but they didn't have a proper picture to use here? ? It's a great sounding filter regardless! :-) 

And just FYI: a while back I abandoned this idea and sold my 'spare' MOTM-300. :-(

Thanks. :-)

I was pondering making the PWM and FM1 knobs smaller yet and having them side by side and then putting the waveform selector above them and below the Coarse pot. (Coarse pot would be a 120 turn one and the Fine control eliminated) Then I could put the FM2 jack back in (with no pot) but, I honestly almost never use 2 FM inputs on my 300's and I don't want to make the panel any more crowded than it is.

Also, if I can find the right kind of switch for the waveform selector I'll be able to add a couple different pulse shapes instead of just square . . maybe 25% and 75% at least?

Thanks Dom! This is what I'm going to do with the MOTM-300 I selfishly refused to sell to you! :-(   No hard feelings? ;-)