this user has left ModularGrid

agree keep the M32 out of the rack. I have a DFAM and it would waste a lot of valuable rack space. I use it stand alone fine.

I'm looking into building a Eurorack setup around the Mother-32,
I don't know exactly what to add or what I really need,
I've looked into Eurorack modules a little bit, but I will obviously continue to do research

Well, that's a bit of a pickle because in order to make suggestions, one would need to know the problem or challenge to address, and you have not worded that at all. Do you feel limited by some aspects of the M32 and if so which ones ? Do you own any other gear ? Why do you want to go the Eurorack route instead of say, a couple of other semi-modular and desktop synths, are those cheaper devices incapable of doing something you like ? What sort of sounds do you hope to achieve ? "really unique and interesting sounds" is pretty much what everyone would say, nobody wants "boring and worn-out" sounds, but what does it mean for YOU ? Usually people like to include example tracks and even sometimes point to an instrument sound at a timestamp in a video.

1. Should I add another Moog semi-modular synth? The Subharmonicon looks really cool.
  2. Should I remove anything that I have currently put into the system?
  3. Are there any essential types of utility modules that I'm missing here?
  4. Is anything in the current system not compatible with the other things going on? Its hard to know what works well with other things.
  5. The goal is to be able to create really unique and interesting sounds and to be able to use lots of different sources for modulation. What are the most flexible modules that I could add to this particular setup?
    I know that what I've provided is kinda only a skeleton of a full modular system, but I didn't want to bloat it up with modules that I didn't understand yet.

I agree with jb that planning to put the M32 in the Rackbrute long term would be a waste of money. Same goes for another semi-modular, why not add one if you want, but again, not in the rack if it already has its own.
As I said, I can't really start approaching the other questions (what is missing, utilities - you will need them but which ones, modulation) without you explaining what I refer to at the start, but VCA's, LFO's and mixing are bound to come into play regardless of goals and style, I think.

--- Voltage control all the things ---

If you want a randomized gate, a logic module would be nice. An accent might come in the form of a random gate rather than a variable voltage.

The Q-Bit NanoRand seems to have a random gate output you can clock to the gate feeding your ostinato. Patch that gate to a separate envelope generator and then that EG to something like your filter cutoff. Now you quickly sweep the filter as your accent.

The other way involves using a logic module... if your S&H doesn't do random gates. I'll lay that out here for anyone else reading:

You can use your Q-Bit NanoRand to generate a random sample and hold signal. Trigger the S&H with the same gate feeding your envelope generator (assuming you're using an EG for amplitude envelope). Then feed that same gate to one input of your logic module and the S&H output to the other logic input.

The S&H module will spit out a gate only when your original gate is present through the logic gate's "AND" output... when the S&H circuit spits out a voltage that is high enough to register as "TRUE".

You can modify the amount of accents by inserting an attenuverter with an offset... like the Befaco Dual Attenuverter. Offsetting the S&H output higher will increase the likelihood of a gate... setting it lower will reduce the chance of a gate.

Thread: Change Log

Module Rack Track

Users planning big racks sometimes lose track of which modules they have already assigned.
Modules assigned to the current rack now are marked in the My Modules section.
This might be extended to multiple racks in the future.
Module Rack Track is a Unicorn feature.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Thanks for the kind replies. I spent many hours over the last week just noodling with the Iridium through Microcosm and I'm amazed at how immersive that is. The Iridium reverb is decent, but hook up a Big Sky or Microcosm and it is transformative. Really looking forward to more deeply integrating Iridium with the modular to drive crazy modulation in a more immediate way.

a bit more background would be useful

what is your current recording setup? DAW and audio interface/mixer
do you want to integrate external instruments into your modular?
what sort of music are you intending to produce?
roughly where in the world are you? continent is probably good enough

*Thank you for the feedback!

I currently record my sp-303 and sp-555 and Digitone through my dj mixer (Pioneer djm-800) into my audio interface (scarlet 2i2). Everything goes into Ableton when it's time to record and mix. I have been considering getting a desktop mixer though to better accommodate my instruments.

I think I'd like the option to sequence with the digitone or manipulate samples with the eurorack. I want to make anything from generative ambient to hip hop to industrial. I basically want enough to be flexible. I'm located in NYC

I guess I was hoping to not get a bigger case but this seems to be a solution that keeps coming up haha.

a bit more background would be useful

what is your current recording setup? DAW and audio interface/mixer
do you want to integrate external instruments into your modular?
what sort of music are you intending to produce?
roughly where in the world are you? continent is probably good enough

some basics to get you started though:
effects could probably be handled quite well by a fx aid xl - replacing the afterneath or adding to it
in a tiny system like this envelopes can probably be handled by Pam's

re utilities:
mutable links is quite useful - it has 3 sections - a buffered mult (primarily for v/oct signals, but can be used for others), a mixer/buffered mult/precision adder, a 3 way mixer
mutable kinks is useful if you can find it - a rectifier (alters the shape of waveforms in various ways), simple logic circuit, sample and hold (with noise source - think semi-random value generator)
if you can't find a kinks then try to find a wmd/ssf toolbox - which has a variety of utilities in 6hp
happy nerding 3*MIA - which is a combination mixer, inverter, offset and attenuator again in 6hp

read through the manuals of all of these modules and try to cover as many of the functions as possible - you probably won't need (or at least won't think you need all of them) right now - but sooner or later you will

disting can cover quite a few - but only 1 at a time! so you can at least have a play with them to get a feel for what they do

smaller modules are not necessarily a good idea - whilst they do enable you to cram more functionality in to a smaller area, there is a huge trade of with ergonomics - often the better solution is (unfortunately) a bigger case

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hey all,

Looking for some recommendations for utilities! This is my first setup, and I still need a good way to integrate into my home recording setup. I bought a small kit with modules included, but quickly realized i needed to make some adjustments to optimize the footprint (84hp). I've added everything silver + the disting, but the envelope, vcf and afterneath I will potentially sell/trade for smaller modules. Any suggestions for getting midi in and a duophonic line out? Other utilities that will best serve my first build?

Thank you!

actual link to rack - jpgs aren't really a lot of use
ModularGrid Rack

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thread: First build

I forgot to add schneidersladen to my list above - they are great too

Yeah its just easier to avoid UK, amazon have a weird system that makes ordering from there ok for ireland but only with amazon warehoused stuff, but other shops ive bought from since brexit have been a pot luck as to whether i got screwed with paying way more - had found schneidersladen - seemed like a good collection, good to hear something positive about them to confirm - id been looking on thomann as I said and felt there where some pretty popular modules/brands they didnt stock, like alm etc

ModularGrid Rack

Alrighty. What else I do need and what do I need to take out?

For EU shops:

• SchneidersLaden is my favorite go-to place, great advice, honest pricing and they stock things that are not available anywhere else
  • I've had good experiences with synthesizer.gr, good prices and fast delivery, they also have stock for some otherwise hard-to-get modules
  • Thomann and MusicStore never really disappointed me but their offering is more limited for Eurorack
  • When I need DIY stuff, I get it from Exploding Shed
  • Had a terrible experience with Modular Square in Paris, would never buy from them again even with your money

I would not buy from the UK as someone living in the EU, it gets really messy with customs and usually ends up costing more...

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Ok thanks, ill check that out - I think for now if I was going to sacrifice anything for the extra 2hp it would be the midi interface - especially at the early stages of the build I can get by with the keysteps cv & gate and even program sequences through Ableton into that - long term I think I can probably get by with something a little simpler. will probably a take a bit of tetris to get both rows figured out - but i think im a fair time away from that - just bought the case and plaits though so I'm on my way :)

I read the documentation and manual on Auza's website, it looks amazing! I'm buying this next year.

Id kind of like a headphones out which the isolator doesnt have - but am aware of ground loops and how much pain they can be from decades ago when I used to power my guitar pedals off of a daisy chain also blew a sensitive connection one time on a camera, I have isolated outputs now - but i guess my perspective is very guitar based - but long story short I understand the need for the isolator/groundlift.. wondering if there is similar solution with either a headphone out - or a module that can ground lift and patch into an output module like the befaco one with a headphone and stereo 6.3 outs - ive had a look but cant seem to find any info on any other modules that do a ground lift - any suggestions?
-- keefo

If you can find another 2 hp on that row, you can swap out the Isolator with HN's OUT. It's exactly what you're describing...balanced outs, headphone preamp, stereo metering, and TWO stereo input pairs so that you can use the second pair to fly in effects, etc via that control. It also has a really nice dual-ganged-pot for the main master input, so that if you notice any stereo imbalances, you can correct it there.

Okay...with this build, I tried to keep most of the sourcing for these within the EU, aside of the Intellijel stuff which should be easy enough to get over there. The build is in the very portable (DO get the gig bag!) Tiptop Mantis.
ModularGrid Rack
This is a very potent but simple system, and will not only serve for the January gig (and then some!), but also as a starter "core" for a larger system. Here's what's in there:

Top row: The A-119 is Doepfer's input preamp, also has an envelope follower for extracting dynamic info from the input signal, as well as a comparator that fires a gate when the input amplitude is over a level you set. Then the Erfurt/Odessa combo gives you a very complex but straightforward oscillator, in this case involving additive generation methods. The Erfurt is an interface for some internal Odessa functions, such as harmonic modulation. The Veils is for the audio path and has sufficient VCAs for the three Odessa outputs (fundamental, evens, odds) as well as the external input. Or you could just use the mixer on the VCF as well, as this G-Storm module has a 4-in mixer in addition to a lot of controls that want manual manipulation. That filter, btw, is a clone of the Syrinx filter, an impossible to find monosynth that filtered in formants, not merely just a basic cutoff. Then for a bunch of complex delay behavior, there's an Intellijel Rainmaker.

Bottom row: PWRchekr to keep an eye on your DC rail performance, then a CVable master clock from Noise Engineering. This is followed by your noise source and sample and hold. After that, there's a single-channel quantizer from Erica, which can be used along with the clock to turn LFO curves into (potentially microtonal!) quantized CV. Four LFOs are next (perfect for feeding to the quantizer), then Maths for your complex modulation source. This is followed by a Frap 321 for CV/modulation "abuse" and then a Happy Nerding 3xVCA for three channels of modulation amplitude control. After this, a Quadrax/Qx combo, then back to audio with Beads for granular tinkering. The mixer has another Veils before it to control your mixer amplitudes, then that mixer is a simple Doepfer mini stereo mixer. Lastly, there's a Happy Nerding OUT, which gives you a balanced stereo pair of 1/4" outputs, but which also has TWO stereo inputs...so, one would go from the mixer to the OUT, then if you wanted to fly either the Beads or Rainmaker over this in parallel, there's the second stereo pair. This also has your headphone preamp.

So, this is a complete system. I worked at making it simple enough for basic use while, at the same time, giving a lot of control for timbral manipulation via either the Odessa or the Gyrinx, or both. And you have a dedicated input here, so you can pipe external audio into the system and manipulate that in the same way as the oscillator, etc. And since this is mostly EU-sourced, it should be easy enough to get the modules locally in Paris, or some other shop in that general part of Europe might have anything they're missing.

EDIT: And one point I forgot to mention: with this being in a Mantis, when it's time to expand...just get another Mantis and the connection kit. Super-easy! At US$335, they're the best bargain in basic Eurorack cases right now.

Another approach, more "in the box" in that a digital module with sophisticated options is doing most of the work, but it's a popular module with many other uses. Synchronize Pam's New Workout to the beat, then set up a channel using the RSkip parameter to control the probability of output. Choose whatever waveform works for your accenting mechanism. You could want a boost in volume as the accent, but you could also send parameters to the source of the sound to alter it.

Marbles is great and I use it in many patches. Another fun modulation source could be Acid Rain Technologies Maestro with six programmable channels of modulation can shape and save LFOs so cool! Filters- I love my Wasp and another cool filter you might consider is Rossum Morpheus Z Plane with tons of options. Bigger case a must.

Easy-peasy. What you're describing is a small change in the CV being sent to a VCA along with the usual level signals.

To do this, you'll want a sample and hold, and an LFO that's swinging over only a small span of voltage. Connect the LFO (even better if you can wavefold it) to the S&H "noise" input and then run the speed up considerably so that there's no real way to hit the same CV level each time it's sampled. Then, use an adder to combine the S&H's outgoing voltage levels to the usual modulation signal that you'd feed a VCA. If you then set up a second VCA to only open when the 16ths are being fed, that'll do it.

Hi,

Here is a small update. I have received some info via modwiggler which seems to confirm that it is possible to generate accents per step using the auxiliary a / b outputs of the metropolix. I will jump on this (in addition, the acid stepper is totally out of stock) ;

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=244729&p=3653188#p3653188 :

"I've successfully used A/B outputs for accents.

Note that you set them up independantly of track 1/2 gate settings. If you start changing settings that affect track stage and pulse count or order, it will not sync with the A/B output.

I like this behavior, because i can use a/b outputs as accents on for example steps 1 and 5 and have them together with the kick. Then no matter what i do with track pulse count, i will always have an accent on the kick.

There is a way to get accents that sync with one of the tracks is - use Gx expander and have it go through stages together with one of the tracks. Then take the stage outs that you want to accent and mix them together ".

Those are AUX inputs. A different-colored (black, here) collar around a jack is normally an output; jacks without that are generally inputs. Except here, for some weird reason. Annoying.

Also, it seems to me that this won't exactly "acid" because it's designed to do a lot of things the 303 wasn't. Ratcheting, for example. Instead of that, I would suggest this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/transistor-sounds-labs-stepper-acid This has the modulation outputs you want, plus it is...for all intents and purposes...an improved TB-303 sequencer with some extras. About the only thing it doesn't seem to have is a "random sequence" function (I might be wrong, though) to emulate the "take the batteries out" results.

The Metropolix is a great sequencer...but it shines best when doing Chris Franke-type sequencer manipulation. The Stepper Acid is a lot closer to what Larry Heard (aka Mr. Fingers) used on that very first ACIEEED track, "Washing Machine".
-- Lugia

Thanks for the info on the difference between exponential and linear VCAs. I moved some stuff around and actually pulled the Qu-bit Prism because it is fairly redundant with the Data Bender. I switched the TangledQ for the exponential Doepfer so I have some variety in my VCAs and it made room to add an FXAid XL and keep the Ornament & Crime. I hate menu diving, but that module is such a swiss army knife in a case like this. Here is the current take:
ModularGrid Rack

To add images to the link, you can create a rack with your planned setup on Modulargrid and post the link within a message.

For modulation, take a look at Acid Rain Technologies Maestro. This offers six channels of creative modulation where you can create custom LFOs and more. It is one of my favorite modulation tools next to Maths and Quadrax. Batumi is great quad LFO as well.

my muff fuzzes

V2 rams head clone with added mids control
V4 op amp re-issue
V7 Sovtek clone (made with russian parts, commissioned for me by a friend as a gift... has two extra clipping modes and the tone section from the EQD hoof.. thing is a monster)
V9 big box nyc muff

an algorithm you will never understand decides what music you listen to

Thanks again for the replies!

After some amazing Black Friday sales from my local Moog store, I've picked up both Veils and the FX Aid XL. I couldn't resist after seeing how versatile the FX is. Am looking forward to incorporating these modules into my patches and learning the ins and outs of them.

More importantly, the timeline forward has also been set and I'm really looking forward to the rack developments of the future!

First thing to do is completely remove any thought of including the Mother-32 in your Rackbrute:) It is a huge waste of HP space in an already small Rackbrute 6U (which I have). There is actually a calculation that you can do to show you how much extra $ it costs you to put something in your rack that can be left out of it...like the Mother-32. With the location of the patch bay on the Mother-32 and the way the Rackbrute stand is designed, you can just locate the Mother-32 in front of your Rackbrute (I do this with the Hydrasynth desktop.

As far as what modules to include, Maths is a good choice...I can't tell what the other ones are in the picture. Consider Veils and FX Aid XL for sure...and other utilities like Links...maybe some additional modulation sources like Quadrax. Others on the forum will be far better at providing information about what modules to include

JB

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1762151.jpg
Link to an image of what I'm thinking about above. (how do you add images to a thread btw?).

I've been into non-eurorack analog synthesizers for a while now, and I got the Moog Mother 32 a year ago. I'm looking into building a Eurorack setup around the Mother-32, but I don't know what to do exactly. The case size is the size of a RackBrute from Arturia, and I'm thinking of attaching the Minibrute 2 to the bottom half of the RackBrute similar to this image: https://medias.arturia.net/images/products/minibrute-2/gallerie/sc09.jpg
I don't know exactly what to add or what I really need, but I tried to just have some basic stuff included. I've looked into Eurorack modules a little bit, but I will obviously continue to do research before buying anything else. Here are some of the main questions I have about adding to this setup, but feel free to add additional advice if you feel that it is necessary.
1. Should I add another Moog semi-modular synth? The Subharmonicon looks really cool.
2. Should I remove anything that I have currently put into the system?
3. Are there any essential types of utility modules that I'm missing here?
4. Is anything in the current system not compatible with the other things going on? Its hard to know what works well with other things.
5. The goal is to be able to create really unique and interesting sounds and to be able to use lots of different sources for modulation. What are the most flexible modules that I could add to this particular setup?
I know that what I've provided is kinda only a skeleton of a full modular system, but I didn't want to bloat it up with modules that I didn't understand yet.
Thank you for your time and feedback. :)

Say I had a 16th-note ostinato on G, repeating itself over, and over again. Except some notes are accented, but randomized. How do I achieve this with modular and what modules do I need? Don't be hesitant to give me a big price tag.

OK I've had a look through both builds and I think you have all convinced me to to go for the mantis case, ill probably use the mantis build above as a guide.. I wont be able to build it all at once probably a few modules at a time - and I might vary modules from it a bit - but keep the intention behind it - like maybe instead of a second plaits go for another vco to FM with - but I think a second vco is probably further down the line of acquisitions anyway.

Thanks again for all the help.

Question for any EU people in here, where are the best places to buy modules from? I've been looking at Thomann purely because as a guitarist in Ireland its always made the most sense for pedals etc. but if there are online shops that better serve modular id be keen to take a look.
-- keefo

Not in the EU anymore - but have had good dealings with (in the past) Musicstore, Thomann, MidiAmsterdam, Exploding Shed (DIY, mainly), Modular Square, Raw Voltage and Patch Point

to some extent you do have to hunt around a bit - some stores stock a particular brand and others don't, or are out of stock, or dearer etc etc

• Intellijel 7U case

• Primary sequencer = Keystep Pro

• 2nd Pams is gone in favour of 4MS rotating clock divider, logic module and Dnipro DOT.

• Swapped 2nd stereo filter and mixer out for mono ones to incorporate wave folding functionality and to save space.

• Number of mults reduced.

• Reverted back to Omsonic and Zlob VCA/mixer/panning combo. I still think this is an academic exercise as stock availability seems to be non existent as of writing this.

• Stereo filter is retained due to its feature set (analog; stereo; multimode; drive circuit; CV controllable; large frequency knob; build quality; price point; availability in UK) being unavailable in less HP. Smaller digital designs with the same feature set do exist (eg Freak), but again, stock availability is a problem.

Actually have one question Lugia about the output and groundloops if you see this

Id kind of like a headphones out which the isolator doesnt have - but am aware of ground loops and how much pain they can be from decades ago when I used to power my guitar pedals off of a daisy chain also blew a sensitive connection one time on a camera, I have isolated outputs now - but i guess my perspective is very guitar based - but long story short I understand the need for the isolator/groundlift.. wondering if there is similar solution with either a headphone out - or a module that can ground lift and patch into an output module like the befaco one with a headphone and stereo 6.3 outs - ive had a look but cant seem to find any info on any other modules that do a ground lift - any suggestions?

Uk still the fastest for shopping online in Ireland, but we get charged import duties etc now since brexit that we wouldnt get from non UK, its not super straightforward though as I think if the product is made in the UK then its not charged - and im not sure what constitutes made in the UK, like assembled versus manucfactured etc..

But yeah sometimes easier to order from mainland Europe even if its slower

Ciao!
Francesco here from Faselunare (www.faselunare.com)
Starting yesterday, Faselunare has started pre-orders for the Vega module.
Due to the shortage of electronic components, the first series will be limited to 15 units and will be shipped in late January.

More info at Faselunare shop

Faselunare - Vega

Thank you!
www.faselunare.com

It's still missing a lot, yeah.
-- Lugia
The gig in Paris (in "les instants chavirés) is not a big challenge, This special event is made for shy pracitces, music that you made in your room, musics that you never show publically, the context is very friendly. Its a duet with a friend with a very vintage but simple modular synthetisor ( Mélison). We use also no input-mixing and piezzo amplification with diy wtf instruments for loop.
I'm very bored of my actual instruments ( no input mixing with cheap pedal gear) and the same sound aesthetic that emerge from that.To discover modular synth is a lovestory, for the first time ive the impression to find my partner instrument, and an instruent that surprise me always by what emerge from it and where it bring me.So the 18 of january is not a stress about finding the perfect system, its just a deadline, and a reason to make the official first step.
i just want to made ASAP a system that is a good base enough to learn from it for few month. for the moment, generating rich timber harmonic oscilations, modulate them from clear notes to dirty massive waves îs enough as far as im not trapped in same sounds possibility all the time: i'm more a noise, or electro-accoustic personnality: i'm first of all interested in the textures of sound themselves, i'm more interested in simple musical construction but with interesting, rich and well sculpted sounds.. I want a system that can be enough for experimenting with it for few month, i want to start little but i dont want to start too limitated in term of sound and composition possibility. In other words i want a minimum base, but a very well conceived minimal base that can bring me in different direction^^ It's a bit overwelming to read all forum post and watch a lot of video, but i've the feeling that already with vco, vcf, mixer,vca, atenuator and daddy maths, theres already a lot of hours of pleasure possible.And what i love with module like maths, honda, is that i've a taste of what they can offer but i've the feeling that there is plenty of possibility that i will discover by taking time with them. But i have the impression that you suggest me to buy 3 or 4 more module to made a good begining, no ? ^^feel free to tell me that im very naive aha ^^

It's still missing a lot, yeah. But as for this upcoming gig...that's definitely my sort of turf. How many channels will be set up for the installation, and is this gig supposed to be just background sound, or are you "onstage" for it? Is there a specific textural complement that you're aiming for, or are the musical requirements simpler than that? Also, what degrees of periodicity does this require if it needs to run by itself without much touch-up? Is this needing a generative aspect, or will it be played by hand throughout? These are factors that I'd need to know before I do any work on a redux of this. I definitely have some ideas, but I'll need to hone them down.

Speaking of VCAs...you might not want that quad VCA module that's right before the output mixer. It's got four DC-coupled linear VCAs...and what you want are exponential VCAs at that particular point. Reason is: we don't perceive apparent loudness as a linear function. The decibel scale is an exponential curve. Plus, DC to mixer to amp = potential for lots of smoke and damage to your speakers.

So...yank the Tangle Quartet first, then shift the NE quad to the TQ's former slot (which is the perfect place for linear/DC-coupled VCAs). Slide everything left by 2 hp, then you'll have an 8 hp hole by the mixer into which you can drop a Doepfer A-132-4 and have 2 extra hp, or just yank the NE itself and replace it with the Doepfer. Or any of a number of options, but the swap looks extremely doable...just depends on how it works with your build.

Also, unless there's some set date that you MUST have the build completed physically, you might not want to cling to that "now" when you get out in the real and discover that, more than likely, a number of modules you're looking at are not in stock
-- Lugia
Sorry i wasn't clear at all? English is not my langage so i can be a bit approximative aha. I've a concert instalation project booked on midle of january and i want to rehearse intensively on my modular with my other instrument before.I want to avoid wasting money by taking the time with myself, the forum to choose the modules well, i also try them live in shop. ANNNND the idea is of course not to have a full perfect and definitive eurorack at that moment. This Is not my philosophy, for sure not my budget
My idea is to buy at least a 6u case, and occupy just the first floor,half of the place, with versatile and good module. And after litle by litle, experimentation after experimentation buying new modules. Thats why im interested in versatil module, but also kind of specfiic, unic, with the potentiality of going into complexity but also friendly module that are not super harsh to begginer to understand. I forgot to mention, but i live in Paris, close to the wonderfull modularsquare shop. So i also make a combination between my instinct, the forum and the precious advise and product available at modularesquare shop :) ( i want to support local shop ^^ ). I Will go there regularry and talk with the wonderfull staff to be sure to start with an inteligent instrument :)
Do you think than my instrument as it is with you're updated feedback is a good starting point or it still miss something to be enough for begining experimentation ? I update the image with your recomendations

• "Seq. switch because I've heard people say they're important" -> that's not a good reason to buy any module IMHO.
    -- toodee

Damn straight! Whenever you see someone pushing a given module, the CORRECT response would be to ask them "why?". And if you get word salad or groundless superlatives or "I dunno"...flee!!! This is why, when I do a build and add/change modules, I try to explain in a sentence or two why the change would work better.

Now, as for "generative"...this little 2 x 60 isn't going to cut it, mainly because generative work requires quite a few different modulation sources, the ability of the system to "reconfigure" itself somewhat, and the ability to have several different signal paths that can be crossfaded/morphed/et al. It's worth noting that the very first piece that we'd recognize as "generative" ("Ideas of Motion at Bolton Landing" (1971), Joel Chadabe) was generated on THIS: https://modularsynthesis.com/moog/cems/cems.htm Now, sure, we have smaller form factors and functionally-denser modules these days...but you're still talking about a build that yours above isn't anywhere close to. Gotta second toodee's suggestion here: take some TIME to sit back and research this carefully. If you want to do generative, then look up generative builds by experienced synthesists...there's plenty on here. And also keep in mind that the first technically-"successful" generative synthesis thing was Sseyo's KOAN, which Brian Eno did a number of things in. It also ran on a computer, not hardware, so being able to hit HIS mark on this will either require that, or one hellacious build in hardware. Not saying it's impossible...just that you'll need to proceed slowly and carefully, and be cognizant of not just which modules go in, but how the modules synergize to create cohesive subsystems.

Mults allow you to copy a signal (say an envelope triggered with your voice, to send it to both VCA and filter), etc.

-- toodee
WOWWW, thanks a lot for all those really appreciated feedback and tips.
It give me already a lot of experimentation desire !!!
I will investigate al those video , i'm very happy to discover this very generous community :)
And, can i ask you what do you think of my eurorack ? For you like it is now its a good starting point ?

Oh wow Lugia that Tarot looks really interesting! I’ll put on my wish list for now.
I just updated the firmware on my Endorphin.es Ground Control sequencer. That was painful getting the tiny SDCard back into the slot of the module since they put it on back of module. The good news is the update worked and I went from 1.51 to version 1.61 so I’m good for that now.

Now, hold up...did you guys see the thread about the Modulaire Maritime TAROT? That seems like it might even be better, because you get wavefolding in addition to waveform animation, with CV inputs in addition to the audio I/O. Plus, you get a suboscillator in there, too. About the only stumbling block would be that it's 12 hp, but it really needs that real estate given how jam-packed the panel already is.

thanksss ! but so far the 258t is not developped yet because still under development no ? Unfortunatelly i need to buy my rack now.

-- heliovolana

Actually, the 258t and the 281t are supposed to hit the street next month...hopefully in time for Xmas.

Also, unless there's some set date that you MUST have the build completed physically, you might not want to cling to that "now" when you get out in the real and discover that, more than likely, a number of modules you're looking at are not in stock. Also, if you slap everything together and proclaim it all done...well, someone will come out with something and you won't have the hp for it. Or, worse, you discover a lot of things you should NOT have done and then you're stuck.

What I did when I started building up my AE system was that I had a vision of how I wanted to use it, and then picked an initial module set for about 130 spaces (AE uses spaces...20, 16, and 12 spaces being the cab widths, either x1 or x2 rows), and left the remaining 50 wide open. Why? Because I knew from Robert Langer (runs the company) that there were going to be a LOT more modules, so I used a bunch of blanks...and just waited. Same thing applies here...never assume that your modular is "done", because invariably, it's not. Plus, I knew beforehand that open slots would be 100% necessary; in your case, you can't predict how much space is needed, so it's important to be very exacting about module complements...but leave some flexibility so that, if something new and amazing DOES come out, you've got space for it...or, if done right, your build already HAS something like that.

I'm not an EU person (yet) and this is not an EU shop (though it once was), but I've had good service and selection from Elevator Sound in the UK (if the special relationship between the UK and Ireland has any effect here, which it may not).

OK I've had a look through both builds and I think you have all convinced me to to go for the mantis case, ill probably use the mantis build above as a guide.. I wont be able to build it all at once probably a few modules at a time - and I might vary modules from it a bit - but keep the intention behind it - like maybe instead of a second plaits go for another vco to FM with - but I think a second vco is probably further down the line of acquisitions anyway.

Thanks again for all the help.

Question for any EU people in here, where are the best places to buy modules from? I've been looking at Thomann purely because as a guitarist in Ireland its always made the most sense for pedals etc. but if there are online shops that better serve modular id be keen to take a look.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

No worries Garfield, Vector is a great sequencer probably one of the best for melodic composition in Eurorack. I love mine the screen is bright and easy to read and creating cool melody is easy and love the variation options. I will do a review and comparison in the future to the Erica Synths Black Sequencer when I get it and have time with it. For me, 2022 will be the year to master my many Eurorack sequencers and not buy any more gear except for cables and blanks. I decided to slow down and master my dozens of modules. Most are easy the sequencers demand time, study and practice as each has different workflow and process. I am really liking my Ground Control it is like a cross between an Arturia Keystep Pro and WMD Metron but very fast nice workflow. Plus it even has USB Midi connection for working with other non-modular gear.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Mazz and Sacguy71,

Mazz: Thank you very much for the hint! That's weird, I checked last week Sunday or Monday when they announced their Black Friday sales and there was literately almost nothing interesting. I was there even for a quick moment on location in their shop last week, even then there was nothing special on offer. Now indeed they have a few Erica Synth modules on offer, great, I will check it out :-)

Music Store in Cologne (Köln) is my local dealer where I once and a while test stuff, a bit more than a half hour drive for me, so that's fine :-)

Sacguy71: this Music Store has now Euro 121 (i.e. 20%) off from that Black Sequencer price, they should have done that last year around this time, then I might have bought the Black Sequencer instead of the Five12 Vector ;-) Anyway, I am happy with my Vector, great sequencer!

Thanks again and kind regards, Garfield.

I do have a lot of VCAs! I will work on it and see if I can get creative while I wait for the holidays to pass and money to be mine again.

the sound output on my delta cep a shouldnt be outputting dc voltage? correct?

-- coyoteculler

Not necessarily. Some devices will output DC offsets via the audio, with the best-known example being the ARP 2600. It's been blowing up speakers for 50 years! But there IS a reason for this, and it's because these were built to also function as modulation and/or complex CV sources. So...annoyingly...there's a rule of thumb amongst some manufacturers that their stuff has to have that DC coupling, too.

Best solution, as always, isolation transformers.