Hi,

Is there any polyphonic string module available somewhere?

The only one i was able to find is the String Theory from Make synth not war: https://makesynthsnotwar.com/modules/stringtheory/

I can't even find it for sale anywhere.

I know it's weird to go poly on modular but i really miss poly strings and i am wondering if something is available on the market.

thanks
ciao
Matteo

MI Rings has 1/2/4 voices I think

-- amethyst

it does but it's not polyphonic in that way. the voice selection impacts how long a strum is allowed to ring out for. up to four notes can overlap before a strum is muted by a new one, but they cannot be played simultaneously as a chord.

general cv? maybe it's more paraphonic though - but it does have rompled strings! hehe

rings can do '4 voices' at once but it's more based on resonance than 'polyphony' as such because it will only trigger one note at a time, so it's more like a (4) stringed instrument than a true polyphonic instrument

looks to me as though "make synths, not war" is gone - last blog entry is nov 2018 and I suspect that they never had dealers - have you tried the contact form?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

-- amethyst

it does but it's not polyphonic in that way. the voice selection impacts how long a strum is allowed to ring out for. up to four notes can overlap before a strum is muted by a new one, but they cannot be played simultaneously as a chord.
-- bigham

I wonder how "close in time" can be the triggers in Rings to trigger different notes and be percived as a Strumed chord

Hi Abstractrhythms,

Another option might be the Sinfonion from ACL. It can handle chords/strings by the "chords" channel, you provide one input and you get four outputs, hence the 4 notes for the chords/strings and, naturally, simultaneously. I use it often in combination with the polyphonic modules from Doepfer (A-111-4, A-145-4, A-105-4, A-141-4 and A-132-8), sounds pretty nice.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks for the suggestions

I've playing around with Rings and the sound i am looking for when i think at "strings" is the one which Ring does while it's in easter eggs mode.
Any other modules which sound close to this? maybe Chord? Or the 4ms ensamble oscillators?

Thanks in advance
Ciao

This is actually two modules, but I would suggest looking into Mannequins Just Friends controlled by Teletype: 6 voice polyphony with 2-op FM for each voice and LPG simulation, which means the sounds ring out in a nice acoustic manner. Playing with the Ramp and Curve knobs can result in sounds ranging from strings to horns, especially with some added reverb for more faux-acoustic goodness.

I know this is probably not what you're after and Just Friends can be hard to come by, but I've had some beautiful string and horn type sounds recorded this way, with 6 voice true polyphony.

sleep

I've playing around with Rings and the sound i am looking for when i think at "strings" is the one which Ring does while it's in easter eggs mode.
Any other modules which sound close to this? maybe Chord? Or the 4ms ensamble oscillators?

Thanks in advance
Ciao
-- abstractrhythms

then the obvious answer is rings!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities