This will be my current 6U RackBrute, once the Chainsaw arrives. Didn't occur to me to check the power limits and I fear I may be over the 1,600 +12V. (Modgrid says the +12V line is 1,686).

I'm also not sure which is row 1 and which is row 2 - the RackBrute manual doesn't really make this super clear...

I don't have a good understanding of electric power, so I'm not sure if I'm reading the RackBrute manual correctly. If it is over the limit, it's not a huge problem as I'm planning to get a 3U at some point, just not right away.

Far as rack design goes, I'm not going bigger than a 6U and 3U anytime soon because there is not enough space in our small Brooklyn apt! I lean on VCVrack for everything else (VCV Host with the free Supermassive plugin is awesome). The 3U will be mostly about logic and time modulation, but likely a mix of duties, to mix up the power demand I guess.

Anyhow, I digress. Just checking to see if I'm about to encounter some problems. Thanks!

the rule of thumb that gets used for this is always leave 25-30% headroom on all rails - this is to allow for inaccuracies in the stated draw and to allow for inrush issues (where modules take much more power than stated whilst starting up - usually digital modules)

I would advise against trying to get that much power out of that power supply

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

Yeah I’ve got a 3U on the way and according to Arturia’s website, the 3U has the same exact power rail so all will be well!

Thanks Jim

the first thing I would do is take the es9 and move it to the 3u - this will reduce your power consumption in the 6u by a considerable amount

don't forget that a lot of utility modules are passive - mixers, attenuators, mults, switches etc etc all of which are very useful in a modular synthesizer

as are blind panels - and they stop you dropping cables on to busboards etc!

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

Read my mind. In fact, I intend to put all the Expert Sleepers modules in the 3U - balances the load nicely.