Hi everyone

I'm planning to finally get into modular. What i want to build is a generative system but i also want to be able to control the synth via a DAW if needed.

Rack here:
ModularGrid Rack

My thoughts:

VCOs:
I'm pretty sure i want to go with Plaits to be flexible and the Behringer 112 VCO because i love the sound and it gives me 2 Oscillators.

Filters:
Behringer 121 seems like a good choice for me.

Modulators:
I put Maths in because from what I understand it's good to have in a generative setting.
The Behringer 140 seems like a good choice because it gives me 2 envelopes and an LFO.
I'm pretty sure I need some sort of Clock generator and Clock Modulator. Is Pamelas New Workout a good choice here?

Sequencer:
I'm a bit torn between Melodicer and MakeNoise Rene. Am I right that i can do a lot of similar things with the two? Do I need a Sequencer?

Effects:
PicoDSP seems like a good choice because it doesn't use a lot of space.
Beads (not sure i should count this as an effect) seems very interesting for pads.

Utilities:
What do I need here? I've added some multiples and the pico Quant and some logic gates but i'm very unsure if that is sufficient or even needed...

In modular, all of the things that you take for granted in a typical synthesizer must be thought out.

Mixers are a must as far as utilities. Simple mixers are great for summing together multiple oscillators or multiple CV signals together. The more complex, audio mixers are great for routing. Both are part of a well balanced set-up.

Generative set-ups aren't beginner friendly (truly generative set-ups). It's something to strive towards... but only after some hands-on experience. Right now, you're shooting in the dark and I don't think generative means what you think it means.

Define "need" as far as a sequencer. :)

Your rack is tiny and you're populating it with large modules like the Vermona and Maths. I would buy a bigger case and leave 1/3rd of it unpopulated. I'd ditch the Vermona and find something smaller and simpler. I'd also ditch the Pico DSP and go for an Expert Sleeper Disting EX... more space... but you'll get more mileage out of it in a small set-up.

Hi everyone

I'm planning to finally get into modular. What i want to build is a generative system but i also want to be able to control the synth via a DAW if needed.

generative music which changes over time randomly? I would look at marbles and bloom - probably marbles is better as a starter 'generative sequencer'

My thoughts:

VCOs:
I'm pretty sure i want to go with Plaits to be flexible and the Behringer 112 VCO because i love the sound and it gives me 2 Oscillators.

Plaits is a decent starter vco - I'd look around a bit more for an analog osc though - there are many many out there (mostly more expensive than the behriinger, but definitelly worth checking out - especially as the behringer is so big

Filters:
Behringer 121 seems like a good choice for me.

Modulators:
I put Maths in because from what I understand it's good to have in a generative setting.

Maths is great in any setting - google the 'maths illustrated supplement' and work your way through it a good few times - it will help your understanding of modular immensely

The Behringer 140 seems like a good choice because it gives me 2 envelopes and an LFO.

if you say so - again there are many more interesting options - given that maths is a cycling envelope generator (ie an lfo) then this may be superfluous, at least to start with - especially with...

I'm pretty sure I need some sort of Clock generator and Clock Modulator. Is Pamelas New Workout a good choice here?

Pam's is great - screen is meh - but really useful for providing all sorts of clock functions and modulation options - unipolar oonly though

Sequencer:
I'm a bit torn between Melodicer and MakeNoise Rene. Am I right that i can do a lot of similar things with the two? Do I need a Sequencer?

No you don't need a sequencer - but you do need a way to play - pick one or more of - midi, sequencer - and there are lots of different types of sequencer, dc-coupled audio interface to send cv to/from rack/daw (es9 for example), complex modulation sources lots of utilities and a quantizer, or a vc/gate keyboard (which may be the only time you really need an adsr envelope)

I'd go for either midi (keep the module small 8hp?) /es8 and some kind of turing machine based sequencer, such as Marbles, which is kind of a triple turing machine with built in quantization

Effects:
PicoDSP seems like a good choice because it doesn't use a lot of space.

fx aid is similar, but you can choose the algorithms - I personally like the xl due to better ergonomics and more modulation points

Beads (not sure i should count this as an effect) seems very interesting for pads.

unless you already own beads it's unlikely that you will find one before next year, due to mi production schedule and global parts shortages

Utilities:
What do I need here? I've added some multiples and the pico Quant and some logic gates but i'm very unsure if that is sufficient or even needed...
-- cryforhelp

if you use midi/dc coupled interface from daw or most sequencers , a quantizer in this size case is pointless (both sources will probably be quantized already)

a good utility starter set is links, kinks, shades and veils - or other modules that cover the same ground - this will give you a taste of a lot of things and be incredibly useful - btw kinks is discontinued - so buy one quick whilst stocks last -- and they may last you a long time - most of these were in my first batch of modules and still get used constantly after 4 years and 1500hp

I would dump the behringer quad vca - it is too big and doesn't have enough channels - get veils or the intellijel quad instead - both of which can also be used as external input modules (due to them being actual amplifiers instead of voltage controlled attenuators)

a good rule of thumb that seems to scale well from a single voice to many voices is:

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

buy some stackcables for passive multing

go slowly - buy the minimum you think you need

sound source, sound modifier, modulation source, some utilities, a way to pay and a way to listen - btw, how are you planning on mixing and listening to this???

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities