Hi everyone,

If anyone here owns one, is there a way to set up the envelope so that it doesnt 'step' through the ADSR, so it performs like a tradional ADSR for say pads etc. I've read the manual and tried every configuraton I can think of, perhaps it's not designed that way?

Cheers
.J.

I don't have a Ceis but I'm interested to know how it Steps through?

I had assumed from looking at it when thinking about buying one that the only Steps are the Gates generated that come from the A.D.S.R points and that the actual envelope that is made simply flows like you would expect from any ADSR module.

You will get a different effect depending on whether you are sending it a Trigger or a Gate, the length of gate corresponding to the SUSTAIN section as the level that the sound holds while the key is pressed, even my A-R envelopes (PipSlope) respect the Gate length versus sending it a simple Clock or Trigger.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I setup a simple patch:

1. Pitch cv from Keystep into pitch input of my Instruo Saich.
  2. Output of Saich to input 1 of Erica's Quad VCA.
  3. VCA output 1 to my outputs.
  4. Gate cv from Keystep into gate input of Ceis.
  5. CV out of Ceis to cv input of VCA, ceis switched to gate.
  6. Set fast attack, medium decay, full sustain and short release but it doesn't behave like it should, there's no note off, notes just keep ringing out.
  7. If I swap the input and cv around on the VCA it sort of behaves like a envelope, except with the above settings if I press and hold a note the sustain only lasts a few seconds, and when I release the key it plays the note again...

it sounds as if the vca is not closing properly - nb I don't have any of these modules

try taking the vca out of the patch - try gate from keystep straight into the vca cv input... does that behave as expected - ie when you press a key the note starts and when you release it the note ends? remember a gate is a type of envelope that just goes fully on, sustains (whilst the key is pressed, in your case) and then off again

if this is working what happens when you ignore step 4 above and then manually trigger the envelope with the button on ceis?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

it sounds as if the vca is not closing properly - nb I don't have any of these modules

try taking the vca out of the patch - try gate from keystep straight into the vca cv input... does that behave as expected - ie when you press a key the note starts and when you release it the note ends? remember a gate is a type of envelope that just goes fully on, sustains (whilst the key is pressed, in your case) and then off again

if this is working what happens when you ignore step 4 above and then manually trigger the envelope with the button on ceis?
-- JimHowell1970
Upon further investigation I think you're right. I connected the gate from the KSP into the cv input of the VCA, output of VCO (saich) into VCA input. VCA stays open with the signal from Saich, note on and note off from the KSP works, but it's on top of the open signal from Saich. If I reverse this and connect KSP gate to VCA input, and VCO output to VCA cv input, no open signal from saich and note on works, but when I release the key note on happens again... hope that makes sense

Upon further investigation I think you're right. I connected the gate from the KSP into the cv input of the VCA, output of VCO (saich) into VCA input. VCA stays open with the signal from Saich, note on and note off from the KSP works, but it's on top of the open signal from Saich. If I reverse this and connect KSP gate to VCA input, and VCO output to VCA cv input, no open signal from saich and note on works, but when I release the key note on happens again... hope that makes sense

-- TheSoundGardxn

in that case I would try to find a thread on modwiggler regarding the vca - this may be a known issue - is this the v1 or the v2?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities