Hello wizards. I’m looking to jump into building a little setup that will primarily be used for ambient noodling with samples thrown in. I have a microcosm, a few friendly stereo effects pedals, volca drum and Crave to play with outside. I also have a 8 channel mixer and standard audio interface.

Being new to this world, I’m hoping you all can take a look at my idea and see if there are any critical elements I’m missing to make this a solid beginner kit… feel free to be blunt and offer other ideas for cost effective alternatives…and thanks.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1836597.jpg

standard audio interface.

there's no such thing

Being new to this world, I’m hoping you all can take a look at my idea and see if there are any critical elements I’m missing to make this a solid beginner kit… feel free to be blunt and offer other ideas for cost effective alternatives…and thanks.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1836597.jpg

-- brownbureau

other than start with a decent sized case - Mantis is best starter case - hp/cost/quality of power /manufacturer reputation - small case = new case very soon = more expensive

no more advice until you post a link to an actual public rack - jpgs are shit - there are 7k modules and with no click through it's frustratingly difficult to follow - so please help us help you and post the link!!!!

copy and paste url of public rack

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks Jim!

Still sliding through a learning curve here. I’ve posted the link to the set up below%. Regarding the interface faux pas. I’ve been using a focusrite 2i2 for effects pedals and assorted things. Thanks for the case advice by the way.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks Jim!

Still sliding through a learning curve here. I’ve posted the link to the set up below%. Regarding the interface faux pas. I’ve been using a focusrite 2i2 for effects pedals and assorted things. Thanks for the case advice by the way.

ModularGrid Rack

First up, a mult in this small of a build is pointless. In the event you need to split off a signal, just use inline mults. You might only need one or two with this.

But the problem here is that if you're aiming for "ambient noodling with samples thrown in", this build is sort of not exactly "synth-like". True, it has AN oscillator and A resonator, but there's virtually none of the modules that you'd use for modulation, no VCAs, no...well, just no, really.

Definitely follow Jim's case advice above. Even at 1 x 84, you get into cramped spaces if the build needs to do something complicated. Think Mantis, Palette 104, etc; 60 hp might fit a Moog device, but that's MOOG and what they can do with a prepatched, prebuilt system. Once you step into modules, you need space for both flexibility while setting up a build AND ergonomics so that you've got real knobs and sliders and such. These clones here aren't as bad about that as some I've seen, but they're still going to be an impediment unless you've got fingers the size of chopsticks.

just to add to what @Lugia said:

get the mantis - just do the simple maths of cost/hp and see what a waste of money the 60hp case + power is compared to the mantis - it's more than double the cost per hp - and you will need those hp sooner or later... it'll also allow you to go for full size modules - a lot of people are surprised by how small eurorack modules are when they actually get them - as they've never seen or touched them before they actually receive their first modules - remember 1u is 1.75" and 1hp is 1/5" - when you start plugging cables into them and try to access the knobs/switches etc - they can be really cramped - and the tiny trimmers that you tend to get on smaller modules are not only really small, but precision is difficult with them...

there's no modulation - you are going to want more than just a random source for modulation - I like Maths as a starter modulation module - see the maths illustrated supplement - it's a great introduction to patching techniques - take the ideas in there and run with them....

there's no where near enough utilities - see my signature - I like a starter set of links, kinks, shades and veils - they cover a lot of bases - which need covering - substitutes are available - Happy Nerding 3*MIA is a good substitute for shades for example - but you will need these modules and more to add variety and complexity

take you time - there's no need to fill a case immediately - but buy or make some blind panels to prevent nasty accidents! nothing dangerous - but they can be seriously annoying if you manage to blow up your power supply and are without your synth until it gets fixed!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Appreciate the thoughtful feedback, Jim and Luigia. I think the best thing to do is to take a step back and really learn how modular benefits the overall intent of what I’m trying to accomplish. Very thoughtful feedback and a deep nod to both of you on the problematic practical use of smaller clones to master mods, ergonomics, and fundamental utilities. Overall, I think I need to take a breath and ask what I really want out of all this. As it stands, I want a place to make intricate backdrops for louder stories to be layered on top. what I’m getting at is that I may be asking too little for a world of options and criteria that demands as much as it does from the player. Anyway…I really do appreciate the time you both took to help me rethink this from the start.

I want a place to make intricate backdrops for louder stories to be layered on top. what I’m getting at is that I may be asking too little for a world of options and criteria that demands as much as it does from the player.

it's good that you know what you want

the case you specified will not get you there though

but is a good starting point to expand upon - once you've had a think come back and have another go...

Overall, I think I need to take a breath and ask what I really want out of all this. As it stands, I want a place to make intricate backdrops for louder stories to be layered on top. what I’m getting at is that I may be asking too little for a world of options and criteria that demands as much as it does from the player.
-- brownbureau

Well, we have a fix for that, too. And it's called VCV Rack. Basically, VCV is a Eurorack emulator...and it's even accurate to the point of having the same "tons-o-fun" module complement (somewhere upwards of 2000 of 'em) that we're used to here. I and most everyone else here recommends this to those who've not had much/any modular experience, as this software behaves very much like (and in the case of VCV modules from manufacturers on MG, extremely much like) the hardware devices.

https://vcvrack.com/ And the price is right, too...FREE! True, the versions with VST integration and the like cost money, but the basic VCV Rack costs zip. Spend some quality time with this, then when you come back to hardware modular, you'll be on a much better informational footing.

Thanks again for the time and advice. I see months of deep dives in VCV Rack-Land…incredible place to learn…not to mention a solid tool to create perfectly workmanlike wav files to chop up and repurpose.
Now where did I put that tape recorder…