ModularGrid Rack

Hello all,

The case above is currently 50% complete. The top row is what I own, the bottom row is what I would like to get next. With the top row I can get some cool patches going, but it feels pretty linear and I want to expand my possibilities. I've typically been using my subharmonicon and mother 32 as additional sound sources and mixing them in with Hyrlo, but I'd like to start filling up that second row now. I'm looking for some advice on where I go from here.

I had initially set out to create a rack that could be used for generative ambient music, but I understand that since I only have 6u 84hp to work with, it wouldn't really have enough room to shine and be a true generative system. I'm okay with that and am happy with it just being used for ambient / experimental rather than something truly generative.

I want to add Rings because I just love how it sounds and I think it would pair well with Plaits. I think I'll be okay with the smaller form factor since I typically set things and just let it run. I've had my eye on Arbhar as the 3rd and final sound source for a while now. The cost of it is really the only reason I don't have it yet. It'd be cool to mix in some real instruments and let Abhar work its magic on them.

I'm pretty much 100% set on data bender. It just suits my style and I think I'd enjoy having it as another effect.

I'm thinking PNW would be good since I'd like to have another module to use as the main clock or rhythm generator, plus some LFOs since I don't have any modulation yet. Then finally I added Links because I have no mults and sometimes I want to duplicate CV.

Assuming these 5 modules are a good fit, I'm thinking I still might need some more attenuation, another filter maybe, and perhaps another LFO for more modulation? I'd have 32hp of space remaining. What do y'all think?

Some things to consider from my experience: 3xMIA for utility (if you can find one); Melotus Versio as an alternative to Arbhar (can be flashed with many different firmwares for other effects; smaller and cheaper); Batumi for playable LFOs; C4RBN for a small multimode filter with some character; Ikarie for a slightly larger filter with more character (and stereo possibilities); Ferry for outboard effects (there are some great pedals out there); HPO so you can easily listen standalone.

I'd spend the extra few quid and get a real rings - you don't save that much space with the nano version (or money)
and due to the number of jacks even the full size one can feel a little cramped - also it's notoriously difficult to 'tune' perfectly and trimmers, at least in my experience, are much less accurate

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

How are you creating envelopes? I'd definitely consider a Xaoc Zadar or an Intellijel Quadrax or something along that line.
Also a multi-effect processor like Happy Nerding FX Aid.
3x MIA has already been recommended, it's great.
Something with the capability to play one shot samples, like Bitbox Micro, Squarp Rample, Erica Sample Drum etc.

Maybe a bigger case for all these :D

Take this with a grain of salt, but I'm looking at this rack wondering, "Where is the movement?" I love unique voice modules, but it looks like a case of sexy-module-syndrome to me. I think I would want considerably more modulation and utility modules to attain drifting, shifting, ambient soundscapes. 3xMIA, Zadar, Quadrax, and Batumi have already been mentioned, and are good options. I think a Triple Sloths or Zlob Diode Chaos could introduce some uncertainty along with Marbles. A logic module or comparator like Joranalogue's Compare 2 would allow you to extract gates from CV sources to trigger other parts of your setup, etc. I would probably bypass Arbhar for now if you already have Beads. There is a lot more potential in the other voice modules that you have yet to unleash.
Pam's New Workout is awesome and a must-have in my opinion, but not exactly a fun hands-on module. It has Euclidean functions that might be conducive to ambient, but more of a set it and forget kind of thing in my experience. And yeah, an FX Aid XL would probably be fun too. Finally, +1 on the full-size MI Rings if you want to add that.
Just some thoughts on how I would approach your rack going forward. I'm just a random dude on the internet though, so don't put too much stock in what I say.
Above all, have fun.

All of the suggestions so far are good (particularly swapping in a Versio for the Arbhar, as the Versio can serve any number of roles depending on what you need).

Ochd would be a wonderful addition to a case of this size.

does the 3xmia provide negative offsets as well?

-- fretless19

Yes, because each channel has an attenuverter, and each is normalized to an offset (I think +5V). So when you twist the knob for a channel with no input down below 12:00, you get a negative offset of your choice.

-- fretless19

Yes, because each channel has an attenuverter, and each is normalized to an offset (I think +5V). So when you twist the knob for a channel with no input down below 12:00, you get a negative offset of your choice.

-- plragde

beauty, thank you.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll definitely take into consideration your suggestions, and perhaps I can hold off Arbhar for now (that may come in my next eurorack case or if I upgrade to something bigger down the road).

With Plaits and Rings (and with my external Moogs which I can patch into Hyrlo) it seems I will have more than enough sound sources to work with.

I'll plan out my next purchases and will likely come back again in the future if I have any other questions. Thanks again everyone!