Hello!

I'm trying to think through a generative system for a Doepfer A-100 P9 9U case. This is what I had in mind:

In/out: Joranalogue Recieve 2, Happy Nerding Isolator.
Sources: Doepfer A-111-4, Tiptop Buchla 258t; Tiptop Buchla 266t.
Computer/FX: Ornaments and Crime, Happy Nerding FX AID XL
Modifiers: Joranalogue Contour 1, Joranalogue Filter 8, Happy Nerding MMM VCF, Xaoc Zadar/NIN, Intellijel Plog, Mutable Instruments Stages.
Modulators: Xaoc Batumi/Poti, Ladik L-121, Joranalogue Compare 2, Mannequins Cold Mac.
Utilities: Intellijel Scales, Doepfer A-130-2 Dual VCA, Dopefer A-135-2 Quad VCA/Mixer, Intellijel Quad VCA, Mutable Instruments Veils, Schenktronics Attenuverter, ALM PNW/Pexp, Doepfer A-151 Sequential switch, Happy Nerding PanMix Jr.

I'd love some feedback. My plan is to have the rack be complimented by external gear (such as the Arturia Minibrute 2s - 4 sequencers, 2 lfos, an extra VCA and an inverter), but would still like the rack to be a largely self-sufficient system. Am I heading in the right direction? Any functions or utilities that I'm overlooking? Any modules I should switch out because there are better, more readily available options?

Thanks so much in advance!

Cold Mac is very hard to get hold of, and the two Buchla/Tiptop modules feel a little out of place to me, but overall it seems fine. It's a lot to get all at once, though. Maybe think about an incremental plan, giving you a chance to learn about modules a few at a time?

Thanks! Any suggestions on what might replace the Cold Mac?
Also, yeah, I'm probably being too eager about the Buchla / Tiptop modules. They just look so cool...

You're not going to find anything that covers all the functionality of Cold Mac in 8hp. But you have some of that functionality elsewhere, and you might not need other parts of it. Maybe go through the technical map (https://github.com/whimsicalraps/mannequins-technical-maps/blob/master/cold-mac/cold-mac.pdf) and see what you really wanted from it. Anything you replace it with will almost certainly be easier to learn and use.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion.

I think you're experiencing a lot of confusion relating to what modules actually do - a lot seem to be in the wrong categories...

for example - source of uncertainty is a random modulation source, not a sound source as the other's are that you've classed as "sources", what you've classed as 'modifiers' some are modulation sources and plog - I'd class that as a utility - as I would compare2 (both logic), O&C I'd categroise with Pams, etc etc etc

take a look at my signature - the formula especially - it's designed as a rule of thumb for getting the most versatility from a modular synth for the least money...

also agree strongly with what @plragde says - also I heard, but don't know how correct this is that ColdMac can be used for both audio and cv, but not at the same time - so what looks like a great bundle of utilities - is actually only 1/2 as useful as it could be - wmd/ssf toolbox & mutable instruments kinks are very useful combined utility modules that are easier to understand and maybe easier to find - kinks either used or NOS in stores or as a clone (it's been discontinued for a while now)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for the feedback. Damn, I thought I was gonna get the balance right, this time! I guess I'll need to do more thinking about it. Appreciate the suggestion of wmd toolbox, I'll check that out!