Hello Everyone!

I'm fairly new to the world of modular and need your advice for the generative ambient rack I want to build. This is my current setup:

ModularGrid Rack

The modules on the upper row are the ones I already own and the ones on the bottom row are modules I was thinking might be worth getting.

So far I used the A-190 to send a random sequence from ableton into the rack and some FXs Plug-Ins to make up for the current lack of Reverb, etc. in my system.

I definetly want to have at least two voices, but I am not entirely sure if I want to be able to use chords or not and if I do, then I'm not sure about the options i got. I also really love the sound of granular textures so I am planning to get either the Monsoon or Beads. I also found the Arbhar from Intstruo, but I'm not entirely sure if it would be worth getting considering the price difference compared to the other granular processors.

The only real restrictions I have are the size of the case and the power supply, which can do a max of 2800mA on +12V and 500mA on -12V. Modules that are kinda heavy on the -12V side are maybe not an option because of that.

I really need some suggestions and recommendations for generative ambient essentials, modules and maybe even some patch ideas! If you can recommend another forum thread that already talked about this topic that would also be great!

Thanks in advance!

2 voices (3 at most) seems about right in this size case - any more and there's not enough room for the support modules that are needed to make the most of them - see my signature!

right now I'd buy beads of all the granular type modules - sooner or later they will be gone...

the quantizer looks superfluous to me - your midi->cv output(s) will be quantized already as are those from Marbles...

a decent reverb and delay will go a long way

if you want chords - either be prepared to have a really crappy way of sequencing them (you have this already in plaits) - or for it to cost a lot (especially if you want to have everything stay in key) and take up a lot more space than is free in this small case - or just get a cheapish polysynth along side the modular

more modulation (something that can go really slow - zadar for example), more utilities (especially vcas - veils is great and possibly a sample and hold), maybe a filter or 2, maybe a matrix mixer (or 2) for combining modulation sources and using as send/return for the effects etc

patching advice - send outputs to inputs - download the 'maths illustrated supplement' (if you haven't) it's a good jumping off point for Maths

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Not sure if you need the quantizer, marbles sends out quantized cv, and I think Pams does as well? But there are also smaller quantizers available to save space.

VCAs, while not 100% for audio in this set up, with the built in aspect of plaits and rings, are still valuable for modulation.
Using an LFO to control volume for long cross fades, etc.

Thanks for the fast replies!

Yeah I wasn't really sure if the quantizer is really needed or not. Also, would it make sense to get marbles and the ornament & crime? They could both be used to generate random sequenzes in kind of a similar matter from what I understood.

I am also not sure about pams. Would I really need a master clock or are there other functions it has that make it so attractive?

Thanks for the fast replies!

Yeah I wasn't really sure if the quantizer is really needed or not. Also, would it make sense to get marbles and the ornament & crime? They could both be used to generate random sequenzes in kind of a similar matter from what I understood.

I am also not sure about pams. Would I really need a master clock or are there other functions it has that make it so attractive?
-- CharlyD

Pams can also quantize external 2 channels as well as as many internal random melodies as you'd want

'overlap' or 'redundancy' is not a bad thing in modular - especially with multifunction modules - which these are to a greater or lesser extent... you can only get O&C to do 1 or 2 things at once (with hemispheres)

don't know if O&C can be used as a clock as I don't have one and have only skimmed the manual for hemispheres - but it has a lot more functionality that you might want on top of what both Pams and Marbles can do...

Marbles can work as a master clock - just mult the t2 output... and use your ears for setting the clock speed - and it can also act as a clock divider...

Pams can do a lot of things, but it's very easy to run out of channels very quickly - especially if you are using it primarily as a clock divider and then modulation and generative melodies (but that can be said for all of these)

probably all 3 are overkill in this size case - think about what you want them for and remove 1 or 2 - for me it would be O&C - but that's probably because I have Marbles and Pams - but in a much bigger case (think 8ish * the size)

I'd get one first and then once you know your way round that consider one of the others too - you my find that in a small case, with only 2-3 voices and no percussion, such as this, that one is enough

if you primarily want a clock and generative melodies, gates that match notes and a random source - then Marbles first, if you primarily want a clock and synced trigger, gates and modulation - then Pams first, if you want lots of different things to play with 1 or 2 at a time - then O&C first, etc etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Chords and polyphony in this build size just ain't happening. You could get a psuedo-chord memory-ish thing going with a few oscillators, but you can't possibly jam everything needed into a cab even twice this size. Or rather, you COULD...but the resulting control surface would be a nightmare!

I would suggest not looking at "voices" here. Instead, treat the entire thing as a "voice" of its own sort in amongst the rest of your production. Also, redundancy isn't a bad thing...it just depends on which modules you're talking about. 2-3 VCOs = good. 2-3 filters = OK. 2-3 Marbles = don't do that. Anything that you can detune or tamper with works nicely here (hence the multiple VCO suggestion). But in the end, systems like this are best for creating the "backdrop" for tracks...the atmospherics and such that "glue" a production together.

So...I banged around with this for a bit, see what you think. The idea here was to fill the cab out with supporting modules, and in the process a couple of the top row modules got bumped, mainly due to the picks being less useful than...well, have a look:
ModularGrid Rack
TOP: With the exception of the Ochd at the left end (that was where it had to go), this is all audio. Two Plaits, for the reason mentioned above. Then I added a Veils for VCA control over the oscillator outs, which is also useful in that the module's mixbus can be "broken" into 1 + 3 or 2 + 2 configurations, depending on what you're cooking up. This then has a choice of VCFs: either the Ripples clone or the Rings clone. Or run one into the other. No real rules on that. The VCFs sum via the Doepfer mixer, then this feeds the LEFT in on the Beads, which can generate a stereo result from a mono input. And that stereo goes out to the Befaco OUT, which has your isolated 1/4" outputs plus your headphone preamp and your overall stereo output level.

BOTTOM: First up, better MIDI interface that still takes MIDI and USB, but has a more comprehensive feature set AND less depth than the original Doepfer module. Then Pam's. Pam's lets you tamper with overlapping gates and such, which is why the Deep Thought is after this to provide alternate clocking signals, etc derived from Boolean operators working with the overlapping gate functions. Then Marbles, which is a primary "generative" device that can work on/with random inputs, ordering those into coherent CV streams. Maths follows, then a Frap 321 and a Doepfer A-130-2 dual VCA so that you have the ability to mix, modify, and level control your modulation signals. Then I put in a Zadar as the primary EG; no room for the Nin expander, but that should be OK here. Then a 1 hp blank followed by a KonstantLabs PWRchekr which lets you see the health of your DC rails.

By splitting the row functions, this gives you a very clear left-to-right flow for your audio path. Then modulation signals can come up from the lower row to affect that. Very clean, easy to sort out...which should be the way you WANT this to turn out. True, this might be better done in a 2 x 104 hp cab like a Mantis, but for right now...and since you've apparently got some hardware already, let's see how this feels.

Also had a go at this, not du discredit Lugia, but thinking that you maybe already own the case, just for fun, had some free time on my hands.
Might elaborate on it a little if you wish and I have a few more Minutes spare time:

ModularGrid Rack

Edit:

just noticed Lugia also used 84hp 6u, sorry, guess just another opinion then…

Best
Chris

Thanks Lugia and Cangore for the suggested systems!

I think I got a better understanding of what I really need and what I could probably skip.

I'm probably gonna go with marbles and beads for my next modules followed by another modulation source and VCAs. I'm also starting to consider a disting mk4 or the disting ex to get some more flexibility.

Thanks again for the massive help everyone!

I'm probably gonna go with marbles and beads for my next modules followed by another modulation source and VCAs. I'm also starting to consider a disting mk4 or the disting ex to get some more flexibility.

-- CharlyD

Seems like a solid move!
Enjoy yourself!

Personally I’d choose Microcell over Beads. Microcell is the compact version of Supercell, which is a better version of Clouds. Better because it breaks out all the blend controls, has built-in stereo VCAs, and an aux CV, so you could modulate everything from a single source (like smooth random from Marbles or a looping 'shape' from Zadar). Also has a bunch of other modes you can access thanks to the SuperParasites firmware. Very versatile module.

I was in the exact same situation as you. I opted for Bloom early. After first struggling with it, I discovered that I loved it later on for generative purposes.
I don’t put much effort into programming sequences really. I just play around with it as I go and let the algorithm take it from there.
Especially in a two voice setup it’s great.

I’m also curious about what a Turing machine can do in combination with a quantizer. Maybe a setup that would suit you as well.

I’m also curious about what a Turing machine can do in combination with a quantizer. Maybe a setup that would suit you as well.
-- stephankochen

Actually, Grayscale's Permutation (in its full version) would make a good sequencer along the same lines. It's a derivation of the original Turing Machine, but I think it's better laid-out, and has a few extras.

I love both Beads and Clouds, but in a case of this size, I'd strongly consider Noise Engineering's Melotus Versio... it's a terrific granular module that you can also re-firmware at will into a clocked delay, or a VCA/VCF/Gate, or an amazing reverb, or various other things. Will save you 4 hp over Beads, too, while giving you all that flexibility.