hey guys,
I'm thinking of buying an ES-8 because it looks like a really useful module for interfacing with Ableton & MaxMSP. I have a Motu Ultralite mk3 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with using the two at the same time.
It says on the website you can use the ES-8 with another interface via ADAT, but I've never used ADAT and also have no idea what that would look like (for example, I can only select one interface/driver in Ableton or MaxMSP, so how does it recognize the second interface...?)
best,

the ES-8's ADAT ports are additional channels of the ES-8. If you just want more eurorack jacks from an existing interface with ADAT ports you probably want something more like https://boredbrainmusic.com/product/optx/ and/or the ES-3/6

thanks for the reply! does that mean I use my MOTU and the optx via ADAT can be installed to show up as an additional 8i/8o channels ?

I'm having trouble finding info on that specific model, but yes, if it supports ADAT then yes that's pretty much it - you'd just hook up the optical cable and use the extra channels. Do note that ADAT and S/PDIF use the same physical connector but are not actually compatible protocols, so be sure which you've got on the MOTU!

I'm pretty sure you can use the es8 as a standalone ADAT expander - don't use the usb and connect the ADAT I/O to the ADAT I?O of your Motu... the extra channels will show up as part of the Motu in your DAW

check the manual - it's easily accessible on the ES site!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I'm pretty sure you can use the es8 as a standalone ADAT expander - don't use the usb and connect the ADAT I/O to the ADAT I?O of your Motu... the extra channels will show up as part of the Motu in your DAW

check the manual - it's easily accessible on the ES site!
-- JimHowell1970

you know what i totally forgot it did this because i always have the usb plugged in to mine! But honestly, for use as an ADAT converter from an existing interface i would still probably go for the optx for the full 8x8 channel set...

ES-8 works great as an ADAT expander, I have one permanently connected to my audio interface and only use it in USB mode rarely. The Optx does have a channel advantage, but if sending CV into your DAW the ES-8 has DC coupled inputs as well as outputs.

I’m not sure if the Motu Ultralite mk3 does have ADAT though, so def worth double checking that. If confirmed that it does not, (and you’re using a Mac), the ES-8 will have the advantage of being able to be set up as an aggregate audio interface (this doesn’t work so well on Windows).