Current setup was based on a desire to get back into synthesis slowly
So I went semi-modular.
Please don’t flame, had to start somewhere.

I have a keystep pro controlling a moog grandmother, b-2600 and a k-2.
There is a pedal chain and a lexicon pcm-80 for efx and several studio preamps for colour.

This rack is meant to play with the grandmother and the B-2600 and replace the K-2.
The k-2 takes up 3ru in my rack and I’m going to keep the eurorack that way… for now.
I’m happy to keep this synth mono.

I do wonder about the levels between the b-2600 and the eurorack tho the grandmother has a eurorack out.

to me it looks very cramped and I think you are trying to do too much in too small a space...

an external mixer that can handle different levels would be a good idea... I have a Yamaha MG series mixer I bought 15 years ago or so - inexpensive and handles eurorack level and line level easily

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for the advice man

Totally get that she’s cramped
I was planning on using the extra modules to manipulate patches on the b2600/grandma
And I wanted to replicate the good things that an ms20/k-2 does have

I do have an ssl six as well as several preamps that can handle synths

No Problem

I think you'd be much happier with a bigger case and bigger modules - plus it'll give you some space to expand into, which is always incredibly useful

small cramped modules with trimmers instead of bigger modules with (mostly) regular sized knobs are fine for set and forget but a real pain for wiggling - especially as what you already have is predominantly normal knobs!!!

I'd grab a tiptop mantis and look for bigger modules if I were you...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I started out with a small case and a collection of small modules. If I had my time again, I would quite possibly buy a small case, but I wouldn't get the same modules. I thought having more smaller modules would mean more variety, but in the end I found it frustrating and a little unfulfilling. If I could start again, I think my first modules for an 84HP case would be:

A Wogglebug, or equivalent
A Maths, or equivalent
A DPO, or equivalent
An Optomix, or equivalent
A Mimeophon, or equivalent

I feel that those modules could keep me happy for months, if not years, and would be a good basis to build up to a larger modular system.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1453324.jpg

I really want to thank you all for you advice.

The way my synths have fallen into place thus far is
Moog GrandMa for Bass lines,
K-2 for leads and melody
B-2600 for percussion, stabs, melody and evolving textures

In my mind I was replacing the ms-20/k-2

i.e. two Osc, dual filter (hp/lp), two eg with sample and hold and lfo

To be used in conjunction with grandMa and b-2600
I really like the 2600 and grandma but I wanted to get them wild.
This small rack I’ve laid out is really my expansion to my preexisting synths.
It’s gotta do double duty not just speak for itself.
Hence all the modules.

What I find myself always wanting with my patches are more random, more evolving
More beautiful melody expansive sounds that are intriguing and surprising.

Really seems like that’s modular in a nutshell.

Hi J-Lo,

I'm relatively new to modular too, so I can't give you too much advice on specifics. But I'd recommend starting with a larger case. Like you, my modular system needs to play nice with my other synths and samplers, but even then I've nearly filled up 176hp pretty quickly. Even if you think your modular will just be a extension of your other gear, having more space will give you a lot more freedom in your options.

Thanks man,
I think I’ll probably follow your advice at some point
and who knows I probably will eventually.

All in good time