https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2109487.jpg

Help! I've gone modular blind!

Hi Friends,

After years of lusting after a modular, I've decided to pull the trigger and put together my first Rack which i aim to start buying early 2023.

Budget is about £2750 to start.

I'm a big fan of drone, especially mego records, Jim O'Rourke , Fennesz etc as well as krautrock such as Cluster, Harmonia etc , I don't require a drum mod at present as I can add any additional beats with Ableton for now.

I aim to record pretty much live then incorporate minimal edits / effects in my DAW. I do not have much room so a large case is out of the question, i certainly wouldn't be able to go bigger than a Arturia RackBrute 6U or a mantis.

I'm considering going for a Caixo 104 skiff as it seems decent value for money and includes a number of utility modules included although i still have an eye on a Arturia RackBrute 6U and i know there is a lot of love for the
Mantis also.

I also already own a Behringer Crave which i can use as a CV controller for now but may upgrade to something like a make noise Zero Control at a later date.

I want a system that can make interesting multi layered drones with moments of extreme noise and also twinkly generative granular beauty so have chosen an analogue Oscillator (Benjolin) and also a black wavetable VCO for more interesting granular sounds.

I'm hoping the remaining modules i've chosen cover most of the things i will require, especially incorporating the Caixa 104 modules. I would prefer more hands on mods and i'm not into menu diving too much.

Question 01 : Does anybody have a Caixo 104 and if so, would you recommend? the utilities and build quality look great although I'm aware of the space limitations.

Questions 02 : I welcome any feedback on this as a starter rack . Any suggestions for cheaper and smaller modules that will achieve the same kind of sound or any glaring omissions?

Question 03 : I know that i still need to incorporate a USB / CV module to sync with Ableton if required and would also welcome any glitchy effects that would help achieve that mego / autechre-esque sound. ( if my chosen mods don't already achieve this ) Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm drowning in youtube videos and modular grid posts but it really is hard to choose anything! too much choice so i need help to zone in on exactly what i require to do the job in a budget /HP friendly way. Any links to vids / racks etc welcomed.

Any help for a complete newbie suffering for information overload would really be appreciated.

Many thanks for any help / advice you can offer.

Stoffaboy UK

Have you looked into filters or VCAs? Unless you plan on running everything through the benjolin all the time, an extra filter with a big ol knoby knob would be great for sweeping the Black Wavetable. A VCA can help get get some really weird sounds going. Modulating your modulators and all that. If you downsized your clouds clone you should be able to squeeze both in comfortably.

For the midi/cv you could save rack space and get a keystep or some type of external midi/cv converter.

Those Caixa cases look great, lots of functionality, which would probably cover your € per Hp between the cases you mentioned. Caixa is €6.37 per hp, the rack brute is €2.15, and the mantis is €1.53. There's always trade offs, In this scenario it's rack space vs physical space vs built in functionality vs cost. Personally, I'd go for a mantis, put in the utility modules I need (and also choose, which is important to me) and then have room to add whatever later on when I start figuring out what's missing

Just some thoughts, have fun!

and the link to the public rack - as jpgs are shite!!!

ModularGrid Rack

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I highly recommend the Doepfer Wasp filter for what your setup wants to do.

I highly recommend the Doepfer Wasp filter for what your setup wants to do.
-- benscott

I second the wasp filter, it's quite nice.

Edit: Just make sure your case is deep enough.

A third for the Wasp filter.

I can also recommend the XAOC Odessa for generating incredible drones with its 512 upper partials.

I think 104hp is going to be too small for the amount of variation you are hoping to achieve (twinkly and abrasive). To maximize space and gain a lot of different functions in 10hp with no menu diving, I HIGHLY recommend one of the Noise Engineering Versio modules. You can flash them with different firmware (super easy process) for the task at hand. I love the Desmodus (reverb/delay), Melotus (granular), and Ruina (distortion) firmwares. Melotus could cover your Clouds needs in a smaller footprint and give you access to even more functions if you choose to pursue them. This is one of the better investments I have made in euro.
Have fun and good luck!

I think 104hp is going to be too small for the amount of variation you are hoping to achieve (twinkly and abrasive).

I agree with this... and point out that black maths and PNW are unobtanium

To maximize space and gain a lot of different functions in 10hp with no menu diving, I HIGHLY recommend one of the Noise Engineering Versio modules. You can flash them with different firmware (super easy process) for the task at hand. I love the Desmodus (reverb/delay), Melotus (granular), and Ruina (distortion) firmwares. Melotus could cover your Clouds needs in a smaller footprint and give you access to even more functions if you choose to pursue them. This is one of the better investments I have made in euro.
-- farkas

another alternative might be a Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro...

although tbh in lots of cases I want more than 1 of these functions at once - delay and reverb and granular for example! so maybe at least a couple of these types of things are a good idea... which leads us back to get a bigger case!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

"another alternative might be a Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro..."

Another second for the fx aid series. Any of the FX Aid guys are great, as long as you can keep up with what dot means what. Fx aid has some clouds stuff going on already, and is more instantly satisfying. All the x into y algos are sweet, tho you might still need a small clouds buddy to get some granular going. Even so, 2 og fx aids and a uburst would consume the same hp as the typhoon thing, with an insane ammount of possibilities (making a mental note to try this myself). On the other hand it would consume way more currency.

I also agree with Farkas. 104Hp will likely be too small for what you're trying to accomplish (maaantiiiiissss). That being said, "do more with less" is always a game worth playing.

"another alternative might be a Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro..."

Another second for the fx aid series. Any of the FX Aid guys are great, as long as you can keep up with what dot means what.
-- yeahivandalizm

the pro version has a screen and holds all the algorithms - so much easier to deal with, without a cheat sheet

if you buy a pro and an xl for example & plan a bit ie set the order of the 1st 32 algorithms to be the same as the other fx aid then you can use the pro as the cheat sheet for the other module

the pro version has a screen and holds all the algorithms - so much easier to deal with, without a cheat sheet

if you buy a pro and an xl for example & plan a bit ie set the order of the 1st 32 algorithms to be the same as the other fx aid then you can use the pro as the cheat sheet for the other module

-- JimHowell1970

I've seen you speak about this before, Jim. I know how much you love the pro. It is definitely a solution.

I've seen you speak about this before, Jim. I know how much you love the pro. It is definitely a solution.

-- yeahivandalizm

haha yeah - I don't actually have a pro, just an xl, but I intend to get one at some point in the future - and implement this trick that I saw someone else suggest somewhere - probably modwiggler - I've generally only used it for the lofi setting which I did know the position of - but I want to re-flash it and use it for other stuff - will have to remember to print out the pdf this time!!!

haha yeah - I don't actually have a pro, just an xl, but I intend to get one at some point in the future - and implement this trick that I saw someone else suggest somewhere - probably modwiggler - I've generally only used it for the lofi setting which I did know the position of - but I want to re-flash it and use it for other stuff - will have to remember to print out the pdf this time!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Duuude, I had my XL racked for 8ish month before I even realized I could re-flash lol. It was in a mylar generative knock-off, so not knowing what it was actually doing wasn't an issue for me at the time. In my live box I reflashed and banked based off of need, so delay into reverb is first slot, and the other less often used effects are around it. I also added the x0x generator algos to record into the Sample Drum. Not perfect, but certainly useful. I would love the Pro, but oh man, 32 effects/utilities/sources are more than enough for my needs. The added cv controls are quite tantalizing! Maybe one day! I'm going to dm you about your video synthesis later, if you don't mind.

Hey, Stoffaboy, where ya at?

I'm going to dm you about your video synthesis later, if you don't mind.

Please feel free - always happy to answer questions etc...

Jim

Since you want cool drones perhaps look modulation that can slowly give you varied generative drones like Marbles or Quadrax in your setup. The Grendel Drone Commander module or the Grone Drone look super awesome for the voice option.

I think 104hp is going to be too small for the amount of variation you are hoping to achieve (twinkly and abrasive). To maximize space and gain a lot of different functions in 10hp with no menu diving, I HIGHLY recommend one of the Noise Engineering Versio modules. You can flash them with different firmware (super easy process) for the task at hand. I love the Desmodus (reverb/delay), Melotus (granular), and Ruina (distortion) firmwares. Melotus could cover your Clouds needs in a smaller footprint and give you access to even more functions if you choose to pursue them. This is one of the better investments I have made in euro.
Have fun and good luck!

-- farkas

I've put a 126hp skiff together which includes Ears, Wogglebug, Morphagene, Imitor Versio and an FX Aid Pro. For the sort of thing you've listed as musical intentions/interest I'd say you'd have loads of fun with the Morphagene and a Versio or Mimeophon. I've flashed my Versio with Repetita Versio written by Hirnlego. It's an amazing looper and delay. My understanding is that it's inspired my Mimeophon. As Farkas said it's flashable to become a range of good, interesting effect modules. I do however recommend checking out the Repetita.

https://github.com/hirnlego/repetita-versio

I bought the FX Aid Pro yesterday and think it's a good multi effects module, but not "wow!". If you have limited space it may be worth checking out a stomp box adapter like this:
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ai006-kit/
and picking up a used Line 6 M5 multi effect. they go for really little money and are far better than the Zoom offerings. I payed £50. It even has an expression pedal input which can be assigned to any parameter.

This is one of my current skiffs

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2049997.jpg

I also have another with Pressure Points and Rene Mk1