Hello there,

I just wanted to have opinions or my rack, knowing if i could supress some modules or change things for the best, even get a smaller rack, why not!

ModularGrid Rack

Cheers

don't get a smaller rack - unless you are just going to loose the 1u - ie get a mantis - you could buy 2 mantises for about the same price as a intellijel performer case

but then I don't like 1u - I'd always rather have an extra 3u and haven't yet seen anything in 1u that can't be found in 3u for much less hp - and relegating utilities to 1u imo

mantis is by far the best compromise for hp/cost/decent power supply/manufacturer reputation - unless you absolutely must have 1u for some reason (as I noted above I haven't found one)

the mutable modules are going to be potentially difficult to get hold - as mutable has closed and used modules may attract a premium - there are clones that are available though - there are full size ones now though - from After Later Audio for example.. stages may be particularly difficult though...

saying that I'd consider swapping out the turing machine and expanders and look at something smaller and does something similar (mutable marbles, for example)

you almost definitely don't need both rampage and maths in a case this size - I'd just get maths as it has beeter documentation (the 'maths illustrated supplement') and a lot of youtube video lessons

again you almost defintely don't want so many sound sources in a case this size - 2 or 3 is a better fit - as there is no way you can fit the modules that you need to support them in the leftover space - ie enough sound modifiers, modulation sources and utilities (mixers, vcas etc etc) see my signature for some hints on this!!

I'd also strongly advise not to put 2hp modules next to each other - especially ones that have trimmers on them - they will be almost impossible to adjust especially once they are patched - eurorack modules are really quite small (to the point that a lot of people are surprised how small they are when their 1st ones arrive) - 5hp = 1 inch/2.54cn

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

Yes you're right about it all, I've considererd what you said and yes and I'm going to redesign from start my rack, and planning to use a Mantis rack or a Case From Lake rack (don't know why, but I like the 1U modules hehe, just maybe for utilities yeah)
About the MI modules, yes I know that, planning on buying clones on second hand modules.
Don't know why but I like the turing machine too, maybe just not use all the expanders yeah, and why not try marbles.
Same goes for ramapage and maths, I've looked up both and even now, don't know what module is best for my use (maybe I should start by knowing what I really want to do, that will surely help!), but yeah math was my first choice.
And again, you're right, same goes for the sound sources, I just wanna be sure that I had enough, but 2-3 is already enough for a rack that size I suppose?
Didn't know about the size of the modules and for the 2hp modules then, thanks for the advice!

I'll repost my rack when I'll be satisfied with it, if I could get your opinion then, would be great!

Thanks again!

C39303

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

NP

Yes you're right about it all, I've considererd what you said and yes and I'm going to redesign from start my rack, and planning to use a Mantis rack or a Case From Lake rack (don't know why, but I like the 1U modules hehe, just maybe for utilities yeah)

personally I think this makes light of the importance of utilities... but each to their own... I've never found anything that warrants 1u - I'd always rather just add an extra 3u (I DIY most of my cases) as they cost the same to build (at least in terms of hardware and barely anything extra in terms of wood) they really just save 3.5" in height and take up more than that saving in width...

About the MI modules, yes I know that, planning on buying clones on second hand modules.
Don't know why but I like the turing machine too, maybe just not use all the expanders yeah, and why not try marbles.

I have marbles, it works slightly differently than a TM, in terms of how it generates the signal, but marbles does have the advantage of 3 quantized cv outputs, 1 random output and 3 triggers/gates in a single module in 18hp (or less in the case of some clones - pachinko is acceptable at 14hp - but smaller it'll be fiddly) and remember the TM needs quantizing!

Same goes for ramapage and maths, I've looked up both and even now, don't know what module is best for my use (maybe I should start by knowing what I really want to do, that will surely help!), but yeah math was my first choice.

swings and roundabouts to a large extent - but I'd rather have Maths - spend time with it and the supplement and try to understand the what, why, how of it...

And again, you're right, same goes for the sound sources, I just wanna be sure that I had enough, but 2-3 is already enough for a rack that size I suppose?
Didn't know about the size of the modules and for the 2hp modules then, thanks for the advice!

lots of 2hp modules together is miserable...

I'll repost my rack when I'll be satisfied with it, if I could get your opinion then, would be great!

Thanks again!

NP again - just post the new one in this thread and I'll get a notification

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Well, not really starting modular for real for now, but things has moved a bit, and I'm gonna start a full 54 hour week training in synthesis next week.

My setup is like this for now :

-Make Noise Cheap Easel (I'll soon get the 0-coast)
-Moog M-32 (not mine, won't keep it for long)
-Drumbrute Impact
-Line 6 DL4
-Boss SD1
-Angry Driver
-Big Muff Bass
-Folktek Alter x
-Doepfer A-100 LC1 (that I'll get from a friend soon) with DIY Braids, Clouds & Ear
-Plus VCV Rack2 and all kind of plugins in Reaper

I'm clearly not mastering every part of this setup now, but I hope to very soon.
I want to buy a Keystep 37 to control the 0-coast better, considering that I don't have any controller as for now.
I also kind of want to buy a Tiptop Mantis case like pretty soon and get some modules, a few, to complete this setup.
I just don't know what modules to get with ths setup, I think that in effects I'm pretty good with what I have for now, same goes for oscillators.
Maybe some random generators, enveloppe, filters, switch, logic, mixers, looper, sampler, utilites or CV modulation would be good?
Maybe a all in one module, like the Disting, Pam Pro Workout, Ornament & Crime or something like that?
I'm not a big fan of menu diving but maybe that's the first good module to start?

Cheers

C39303

If you're going with the 0-coast, you should probably take a hard look at the 0-ctrl.

It works as a clock, sequencer as well as an envelope, pulse, and gate generator.

Obviously pairs well with the 0-coast as they are designed to be used together.

Best wishes! :)

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Yeah, I already have the 0-ctrl and the strega, that's what I meant by saying "Make Noise Cheap Easel", sorry if that wasn't very precise!