ModularGrid Rack

I build this to add a few basic effects to a Subsequent 37. Now is this pure genius or plain boring? I would love to expand on a LFO module but have no space left in the Doepfer LC.

There's no need to use 8 HP for a triple passive attenuator module. You could replace that with a similar module or even one with more functionality from another manufacturer that takes up less space and you'll have room for an LFO module.

well there's absolutely nothing in there that I'd put in - including the case

1. start with a bigger case - you'll probably want to expand from this once you've got it and having the space already available will save you buying another case... bigger cases are often better value per hp and have better power solutions - tiptop mantis is near perfect starter case - buy (or make from cardboard) blank panels to cover the unused space

2. as a multi-effect unit I'd want one with a screen so it's easy to work out what algo you have loaded - fx aid pro would be my choice... because if you decide that you want another multi-effect you can then buy another one - either the standard of the xl and if you set it up right you can use the pro as a reference for the algos on the others - 1st 32 algos on the pro match the 32 algos on the other modules...

3. I wouldn't buy b-company modules without comparing modules from other companies - ie don't just buy something because it's cheap... find the one that you actually want - spend a lot more time researching before you buy...

4. you'll probably want to amplify the sub37 so it's actually at modular levels for processing

5. you will want more modulation and utilities than you think - these will exponentially increase the flexibility of the rack - they take up space - back to get a bigger case!!!

something to consider is that in order for a modular designed as an effects processor to be worthwhile - it is a full blown modular synthesizer, with an external sound source replacing the vcos - everything else is identical...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

@JimHowell1970
Thanks for your suggestions. I was aware that my tiny box loaded with uncool Behringer modules won't be regarded as the latest hip thing in this community. One thing I want to avoid is to expand to a full blown modular system so buying a bigger case is no option for me.

@adaris
I guess you are right. I'll swap the bulky 995 with a Doepfer A-138n and a Doepfer A-145-4.

This would make my little effects box even more mediocre. But if anybody can give me an advice how I can fill up the 8HP from the 995 with flashy modules that suit my desire (at least 3 attenuators and a flexible LFO to modulate the Z5000) I might follow these suggestions. Thanks!

This would make my little effects box even more mediocre. But if anybody can give me an advice how I can fill up the 8HP from the 995 with flashy modules that suit my desire (at least 3 attenuators and a flexible LFO to modulate the Z5000) I might follow these suggestions. Thanks!
-- Jockl

don't doepfer do a 4hp quad attenuator and a 4hp quad lfo? I just checked, yes to both - more utilitarian than flashy though

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Hi,
An attenuator/attenuverter module would be a good option.
For example https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac218
Regarding LFO, Doepfer 145-4, they are 4 simple lfos without VC, but suitable for modulating.
If you want to go one step further, ochd https://www.modulargrid.net/e/divkid-ochd
Best regards,

That doepfer-lfo is a nice basic module.. one of the first I bought and still in my case.
there are loads of 4hp attenuverters out there.
Instead of that 914 behringer; check the doepfer a128.. smaller footprint but different frequencies.

ModularGrid Rack
I finally swapped the Behringer 995 and 903A for a PPW and a Doepfer A-183-5. While I have plenty of fun tickling my Subsequent 37 and the Z5000 with PPW I intend to swap the 914 for one or two synth voices and a mixer. Which modules would you put in the 28 HP that are freed up by the 914?

Since I can't do without the 914 I plan to combine it with the 995 and 903A and a ADDAC104 in a second 48 HP case. What do you think?

Yeah, when you have tasted blood once ...

Since I can't do without the 914 I plan to combine it with the 995 and 903A and a ADDAC104 in a second 48 HP case. What do you think?

Yeah, when you have tasted blood once ...
-- Jockl

just get a proper sized case so you don't keep buying them - a tip top mantis for example

take a look at my signature and think about it for a while and how it may relate to your rack...

ModularGrid Rack

I swapped the 914 for some other modules. Still no larger case ;-)
Any thoughts?

ModularGrid Rack

I swapped the 914 for some other modules. Still no larger case ;-)
Any thoughts?
-- Jockl

yes... the same as before... get a bigger case... you don't have to fill it... that's what blank panels are for...

it will allow you to NOT have to cram smaller modules into a small space IMPROVING ergonomics AND so making your modular experience much nicer and more fun... AND allow you to add more functionality as and when you want/need to...

you can never have too many vcas - & you have only 1... they are for modulation as well as audio!

Jim, you're my toughest critic and I understand your point of view.

The modular world has captivated me while I try not to let my passion get out of hand. On the long run that could be a dilemma.

Yes, the next logical step would be a bigger case. Even though my small system may seem ridiculous to most of the community, I'm pretty happy with it for now. Combined with my Subsequent 37 I can get a lot of movement and noise out of it.

Anyway I would like to replace the 903a with another module, preferably a second synth voice. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Jim, you're my toughest critic and I understand your point of view.

The modular world has captivated me while I try not to let my passion get out of hand. On the long run that could be a dilemma.

Hahaha... yes... I do understand though... I kind of started off with something of the same idea... but quickly outgrew my first case (which was over double the size of yours) which took about 6 months... so bought a second... but then I discovered video and DIY... I now have 8... BUT and this is why I always recommend a mantis as a 1st case: I oftem look back and see that a mantis (case no2) would have been big enough to meet all my needs & I'd quite likely stuck with that... without getting into the habit of adding more cases

the biggest problem I see in ALL small racks is the trying to cram too much in and not having enough utilities - which are by far the most important and useful modules in my opinion

Yes, the next logical step would be a bigger case. Even though my small system may seem ridiculous to most of the community, I'm pretty happy with it for now. Combined with my Subsequent 37 I can get a lot of movement and noise out of it.

Anyway I would like to replace the 903a with another module, preferably a second synth voice. Does anyone have a suggestion?
-- Jockl

there's not a lot of synth voices in 4hp or less: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser?SearchName=&SearchVendor=&SearchFunction=49&SearchSecondaryfunction=&SearchHeight=f&SearchTe=4&SearchTemethod=max&SearchBuildtype=&SearchLifecycle=&SearchSet=all&SearchMarketplace=&SearchIsmodeled=0&SearchShowothers=0&order=tag&direction=asc

out of those, I'd probably go for the erica pico voice, although my eperience with the pico series is both limited and frustrated... I had a pico seq and quite frankly found it near unuseable for my usecase - the lack of a reset input and the pressing of 2 buttons, one either side of the module in order to reset it made it impossible to use... ergonomics is really quite inportant!!!!

To give you something different to your mini synth voice and the subsequent, maybe 2hp Pluck? Mount it with 1hp space either side...

i think there is something to be said for small cases with a well defined purpose, like effects or modulation - but beware scope creep. although that ship may already have sailed.
if you really wanted to cram is as much as possible and don't mind tiny knobs, 2hp Sine and Takaab 2lpg would fit in 4hp give you some additional bloops.

@Jim: Thanks for your very helpful feedback and for sharing your experience! Seems I'm not the first to notice that working with Eurorack is time-consuming and can become addictive because it's a sea of endless possibilities ;-)

@Dave: Also thanks for your suggestions!

For now I'm thinking to swap the 903A with a 2hp VCA and a Meng Qi DPLPG because I have to watch the power consumption of the Doepfer LC1.

And yes, i can see a bigger case on the horizon (sigh).

My advice if you want the full experience but don't want to expand too much? Get a semi-modular synth and then just buy modules to augment it. A Pico System III is a great one because it has so many pieces that can be used in different ways. The Quadrantid Swarm is a good one if you want something less traditional but still very musical. There are plenty of good options, and they can save you space in your rack.

Also consider something like an Empress Zoia or a Poly Hector (or even the non-Eurorack versions, which have MIDI outs and can interfave with the controls on your Sub37 in deep ways). One of those and some attenuation/mixing for hands-on control might scratch the itch for a long time. The Hector is also full of Mutable Instruments modules because they're open source, so you get a lot of classic modular in there.

There's also stuff like Ornament and Crime or the Disting modules, with lots of different tools in them that you can try. Not super hands on, but you don't always need that (or you can use attenuators to change this). If a function in there makes you want to go deeper, you can get a module from there.

Have you tried VCV Rack? I find it good for planning systems in addition to making music on it. You can get a sense of how things will sound and decide what you want more or less control over.

ModularGrid Rack

This will likely be the final incarnation of my Little Effects Box. Got rid of the 903A and put in a 2hp VCA and a Meng Qi DPLPG instead. The DPLPG is very nice, especially for modulation purpose. For now I'm quite happy with what I can achieve with this little system but also encountered some limitations in functionality and ergonomics.
Thanks again to everybody who contributed to this thread. I learned a lot and might as well buy a bigger case in the near future ;-)

Don't be afraid to put things in odd orders so the setup is more ergonomic. What may seem intuitive or natural as a design could be keeping you from playing the thing better. I have two passive low pass gates in 2hp (Meng Qi and Takaab) and I like them a lot, but they sort of form a wall between two sides of your modular when fully patched, and trying to keep a 2hp MMF or Mix next to that and still use them was a challenge. Thankfully, all the other modules in that row are big and very accessible no matter how aggressively I patch them up. Is there a specific area on your setup that's hard to access? I imagine the Doepfer side is doing good since everything is nicely separated into patch points and knobs and you can just sneak in behind the cables, but I could be wrong.

Right angled cables can also help here. There are special "low profile" ones, but even the regular ones help keep the wire mess on the sides of your rack rather than on top of it.

Zack, thanks for your suggestions! Will definetely take a look at VCV Rack.

The three 2hp modules with the stacked patch points (the walls) are the problem indeed. The flimsy knobs of the VCA don't help either. I'm thinking of moving the DPLPG right hand side to the Tiptop Module. But then you'll end up with a mess of cables on top of the the Z5000.

On the other hand these modules contribute so much. One thing I learned while compiling this tiny box is you have to compromise with functionality and ergonomics, and for me aesthetics too. Did I mention power consumption?