Newbie here what all think

and the link to the actual public rack - not just a jpg!!!

ModularGrid Rack

the rack looks like a completely un-thought out random collection of cheap modules with little to no research having been done before hand

and the patch doesn't make a lot of sense...

the output of your quantizer wants to be patched into the pitch input of your vco (or vcos via a buffered mult) and the output of the sequencer wants to be patched to the input of the quantizer!!!

the sequencer needs to be clocked - where is the clock coming from??

you need to open the vca with an envelope - where is this coming from?? where is the gate needed to open an envelope coming from?? or are you just interested in drones? in which case a mixer would be better than a single vca!

no modulation???

no mixing - you have 2 sound sources, but no mixing - no sub mixing to sum the waveforms from the individual vcos, nor to sum the 2 vcos - so both vcos can be filtered

invest in a quad cascading vca - use it for modulation as well as audio!!!

the patchbay is superfluous - ie completely and utterly useless - apart from using more patch cables than needed in a rack this size - maybe in one 5 times the size or when patching between a couple of larger cases it would become useful - but for now what's the point????????

please take a look at my signature... read it, think about it, ask questions based upon it... at the moment you appear to be floundering - like a flounder on a slab waiting to be filleted - not in the sea where it can swim!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

ModularGrid Rack

Hi @USSAL,

Here is a suggestion of what you could do. I purposely kept the same case size, power supply, and general vibe that you started with. To me this feels like a fun basic subtractive synth setup. @JimHowell1970 mentioned a lot of good points that needed to be addressed, and I think this example rack takes care of those pretty well for the size of case we're working with. I focused on using similar but more compact modules or ones that provide more functionality than those that were in the original rack. I also added some desirable functionality that wasn't present: mixers, attenuators/attenuverters, S&H/T&H, clock source, slew limiter, noise source, more VCAs, LFOs, envelope generators... and a bitchin' reverb.

There's a lot that I could say about the choices I made, so let me know if you have any questions. But here are some quick notes: The Disting can act as a quantizer or many other utilities that you might find you need. I think it might be difficult to get the original Polivoks filter that you had in the original rack, so I replaced it with Erica Synths' newer one.

I hope some of that helps!
Chace