Hello,

Currently I make dark ambient drone music in the style of Lustmord, Beyond sensory experience, Desiderii Marginis, etc... I use guitar pedals, feedback mixing, tape loops, op1, future retro777 and some selfmade electric acoustic instruments. Now I would like to dip my toe into the (Eurorack) modular world, I have a modest understanding of synth structures but am a complete newbie when it comes to modular. A few years ago I played around with an already patched up Erica Synths modular system and I loved it! Now I would like to build my own system, watched a lot of you-tube video's but got a little overwhelmed by all the choices. Can somebody help me with a good selection of modules for the following:

-Deep, dark and noisy organic evolving structures.
-Proces external sounds.
-I would love a mean spring reverb tank.
-I don't like displays and menu diving.
-I have a start budget of 2500,- (for modules) I already own a 2 x 104HP case with power supply.

Would love te hear your ideas.

Sincerely

Niemandsland

P.S. I already started dreaming something up: ModularGrid Rack

i would recommend a good wavetable oscillator module for Drones i love my synth tech E352,would also recommend Zadar(Lfo)and Batumi

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Thank you Broken-Form, I will check these out.

If you want to process external sounds, I would recommend an input module that includes an envelope follower (so that the incoming sound also produces a control voltage that triggers other things in the system). Doepfer makes an inexpensive one, but I didn't care for that one, so I use a Future Sound Systems TG5 which is killer. I do love the Doepfer spring reverb though. In fact, I recently weighed the pros and cons of the Erica, Intellijel, and Doepfer spring reverbs, and decided that the Doepfer was the best option for me. Finally, you may want to check out the Soma Lyra FX module for deep, dark delays. Seems like it might be valuable for the sounds you are trying to make.
Have fun and good luck.

If you want to process external sounds, I would recommend an input module that includes an envelope follower (so that the incoming sound also produces a control voltage that triggers other things in the system). Doepfer makes an inexpensive one, but I didn't care for that one, so I use a Future Sound Systems TG5 which is killer. I do love the Doepfer spring reverb though. In fact, I recently weighed the pros and cons of the Erica, Intellijel, and Doepfer spring reverbs, and decided that the Doepfer was the best option for me. Finally, you may want to check out the Soma Lyra FX module for deep, dark delays. Seems like it might be valuable for the sounds you are trying to make.
Have fun and good luck.
-- farkas

Thanks Farkas, I wil have a look at the other spring reverb units. I realy love to use them as a feedback soundsource. The idea to have the input sounds as triggers sounds very interesting! Hahaha I played with the Soma Lyra a while ago and almost bought one, I realy loved it but decided to save my gear budget for my modular built and now you tell me that I can have the Lyra effects in my modular! these are the tips I am looking for🥳.

Yes, I usually have the Doepfer spring reverb feedback output patched to a VCA or low pass gate and then into a delay and/or filter. Controlled feedback is so fun.
Let us know how it goes once you start adding some modules.

Yes, I usually have the Doepfer spring reverb feedback output patched to a VCA or low pass gate and then into a delay and/or filter. Controlled feedback is so fun.
Let us know how it goes once you start adding some modules.
-- farkas

Thanks I guess this will become my first patch.

Have fun and good luck.
-- farkas

Checkt out the TG5, looks realy interesting but don't know if i am willing to pay that price for an input....now. Will put it aside as a possible future purchase....

Today I installed the first modules and made my first patch. Envelope triggering the springreverb. Springreverb into the filter. Lowpass into the mixer. Highpass into the black hole and black hole into the mixer. Sounds realy haunting just what I was looking for. Stroking the spring with my fingers, feedback, I am verry happy! while i was patching away I realized that another mixer with a gain/overdrive (as a sub) would be verry handy.

Today I installed the first modules and made my first patch. Envelope triggering the springreverb. Springreverb into the filter. Lowpass into the mixer. Highpass into the black hole and black hole into the mixer. Sounds realy haunting just what I was looking for. Stroking the spring with my fingers, feedback, I am verry happy! while i was patching away I realized that another mixer with a gain/overdrive (as a sub) would be verry handy.
-- Niemandsland

nice i just got a Tripple sloth,havent put it in my case yet

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Hello everybody,

Almost one year later I must say that I fell completly in love with modular! Love the experimentation and the great sounds I can produce with it. I now have two cases one studio case and one batery powered field case (that I love to take with me into nature). Still making dark ambiant soundscapes with drones, feedback patching, fieldrecordings (that I loop, sample and proces within the modular). Lately I am in to experimenting with building chaotic self generative patches. I would realy apreciate comments, sugestion's and tips for my current setup, patching and future purchases.

Thanx in advance and keep patching!

Here is my current setup:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2423083.jpg