Hello! I've been lurking in the modular space and playing on some semi-modular gear but I'm planning to take my first jump into a fully modular set-up. I'd love some feedback on what you all think might be missing.

I'm looking to build a self contained somewhat ambient / slow burn rack that's mobile and doesn't need any extra kit to play (hence the Bloom and the headphone out). The Nautilus is one of the motivations for moving towards modular in the first place. The Knobula Poly Cinematic seems like an amazing poly voice with extras so it seemed like a great small rack module. Sloths seems really fun but I'm very open to trying to find more/different modulation sources.

The current plan:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2185361.jpg

I've got extremely limited space so I'm very much intending to keep the case small for the foreseeable future. Yes I can upgrade my space some day!

Link directly to rack for reference : )

ModularGrid Rack

It's extremely common for newcomers (myself a year ago) to want to start small and think it'll hold you off before you expand, but cases are a real expense. If you know you're going to expand, you might as well start with a case that will allow you to grow into it. I started with a Tip Top Happy Ending kit (3u, 84hp), got a second set of rails and mounted them in a box (6u, 84hp), but by month 4 or so I had already filled that and knew there was more functionality I needed. I recently got a 9u 104hp case from Case From Lake that closes patched and would recommend them in a heartbeat. It's just one guy out of Italy so took a little while for it to get finished, but well worth the wait. Otherwise, the Tip Top Mantis is the best bang for buck case, has a great power supply, and really is quite portable. Those Palette cases look cool, but are substantially more $/hp for what they are.

Looking at your assortment of modules, I think you will run into some additional needs quite quickly in terms of utilities, which in the Palette case you won't have room for. EG Monsoon reeeaaaalllly needs attenuation on modulation, and right now you only have the 2 vcas in the 1u row that can scale back in that way. Sloths is going to swing those parameters pretty wildly, particularly if you use those bottom +/- outputs which can go outside the +/-10v range. Sloths is also chaotic by nature, and I think you'll find that having something that can do "normal" LFOs is extremely useful.

Those are the things I've noticed for now. The modular journey is incredibly satisfying, but once it gets its claws in you you're going to move up in hp quite quickly : )

I agree with Progspiration on almost everything he said - basically you are trying to do too much in too small a space

either start with a bigger case or massively scale back what you are trying to do

you'll need more modulation - and someway of mixing the 'ordered' modulation with the chaos - a matrix mixer in my opinion is best for this - and one that is usable - ie ergonomic and therefore quite large - I like the doepfer - plus more attenutaors - not just vcas (and you haven't really got the envelopes to open and close the vcas anyway

I'm not really convinced that the combination of the poly chromatic and bloom will work very well together - I think you really need at least one (preferably 2) channel(s) of proper sequencing (or a midi sequencer) to make the most of poly chromatic - one channel to determine the root and another to determine the chord type

personally I would go for the bigger case and spend a decent amount of time (a week at the very minimum) thinking deeply about the hints in my signature... you will end up with a much more versatile modular for less cash (in the long run)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Progspiration is offering excellent guidance. You will need more space to get the most out of this. You can read back through years of beginner posts here, and so many of those new to modular have a similar tiny case idea, and the guidance is and will always be the same. Yes, a tiny case will make sound, but it won't be interesting for very long. Get a bigger rack to start with. You will want and need to expand quickly if you don't want to get frustrated with the limitations of this proposed palette case. The goal is for this instrument to provide years of fun and inspiration, so give yourself room to grow into a versatile rack that won't be stale in a few months.
Maybe it only makes sense after you get your hands on a few modules. My own initial plan was actually to have a decent sized 9u 104hp beginner rack, and that quickly doubled within a year's time. Once you understand the value and necessity of attenuverters, envelopes, LFOs, VCAs, switches, S&H, logic, and all of the other stuff that makes a synthesizer work, I think the general beginner guidance starts to make more sense.
Have fun and good luck!

A bigger case.

As @JimHowell1970 says 'either start with a bigger case or massively scale back what you are trying to do’.
And as you can see, all the people here will advise you to do the former. We say this with the full knowledge of the facts... and to really save you any frustration afterwards.

Utilities and modulation sources.

Once again, we have to underline this other advice from @JimHowell1970 who, with great laudable persistence, tries to remind the necessity of these modules throughout the pages of this forum; and you know what : he is right!

Can you imagine a film with just a few stars and no supporting cast, no extras, not even a little furniture in the set? This is the unconscious bet and the mistake we all make a little too systematically when we approach the modular synthesizer and in front of all its big stars (Clouds, Rings, Morphagene, Basimilus, Bloom, etc.)

Nothing really important to add to what others have said here.
Modular is a bit like cinema. ModularGrid is not the USC School of Cinematic Arts, or the Ecole Nationale Louis-Lumière. But you've come to the right place. The amateurs and even the less amateurs have almost all passed through the benches of ModularGrid :))
Welcome!

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

A bigger case.
Once again, we have to underline this other advice from @JimHowell1970 who, with great laudable persistence, tries to remind the necessity of these modules throughout the pages of this forum; and you know what : he is right!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities