Hi all,
I am coming here to get some advice on my project.
Currently running a 6U 88hp (Arturia RackBrute) with techno/electro in mind.
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2214755.jpg
This is a beginning. I am forecasting a 9U 104hp. Reason is I am currently using an OT mk2 as a mixer as well as basic drum machine (usually no more then 3 voices) + rarely looping/sampling much.
I am using a Torso T-1 to sequence everything modular.
Also using an FMR RNC (as a pseudo limiter) before going into an Elektron Heat mk2 as end of audio chain.
I am willing to expand my system to "get rid of" the OT and this is the reason why I am planning this bigger case.
I would like to add a kick as well as an extra perc voice (could be a BIA as well as a basic clap/hat sample player or voices).
Still debating extra VCA (Tangle Quartet, Quad VCA...). Will need more EGs as well (AD vs ADSR?) and also some more attenuverters.
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2215363.jpg
Just willing to have some opinion.
Thanks for any input.
Best,
Loersatz

Maybe something like a steady state gate for LPG / Filter / VCA duties? If any of your percussion responds to envelopes directly I’d highly recommend a 4ms PEG for rhythmic envelope duties.

Hi all,
My journey into modular is at this point so far: ModularGrid Rack
This is where I would like to go: ModularGrid Rack
Any advice/opinion would be welcome. I am mainly making ambient and techno on this rig.

I am using a Torso T-1 to sequence all this and also using an Octatrack Mk2 which serves mainly as mixer (Live resampler + effects), hence the 2 mixers in my rack:
1) Supamix (not yet available) to replace my 4ms Listen4 which is very power hungry (200 mAh +12V) ans also because it has a nice couple of features (mutes). This mixer is routed to a stereo pair on OT.
2) Ladik A-541 which feeds 2 mono signals to OT as well. Mainly SY0.5 and Plaits for drum duties although Plaits could serve a lot more :)
I just flashed Desmodus Versio to Electus Versio to have a go at it.

Also looking for a nice little LPG: Takaab 2LPGv2 or Herzlich Labs Omen. Not sure as of yet.

OSCs: I am pretty well served at this point but not sure about NE Manis Iteritas as I am eyeing a BIA.

Filters: very pleased with Polaris but would gladly add a different flavour to my rig:
Shakmat Dual Dagger or XaVCF from G-Storm Electro (this one for a very unique flavour).

Effects: really like the XAOC Sarajewo but I am curious about the Alright Devices Chronoblob2.

Again, any advice, comments or opinions are more than welcome :)
Thank you for your time.
L

is this for home/studio or performance?

if for home/studio I'd definitely consider 12u/104hp... and I'd fill the extra 104hp with utilities... this will exponentially increase patching possibilities... and I'd really look at 6u vertical-ish and 6u horizontal-ish - not perfctly - as you'll want a greater than 90 degree angle - so cables will fit...

tbh I'd also consider for live... as you'll be able to add matrix mixers and switches and other control modules... in the closest row...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Neither for live or studio really.
Having fun patching :)
I hear you when you are saying 104hp...
Went from a rackbrute 6U to a Doepfer 9U thinking (like everyone else I suppose) it would be "enough"... HAHAHA!!!
And I totally understand when you refer to more utilities: the last modules I bought were actually oriented this way:
- Ladik A-541 for 2 mono OUT feeding Octatrack IN A and IN B
- Ladik A-410 Pan/Mix/VCA
- MI Links not so much for multing but rather as a precision adder
Next one will most likely be Ladik S-090 Dual Probability Skipper and then already thinking about Sequential Switches...
What other utilities do you have in mind?
Could you also elaborate on matrix mixers if you don't mind?
Many thanks for taking the time.
L

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

NP...

Neither for live or studio really.
Having fun patching :)

so home (studio)

I hear you when you are saying 104hp...
Went from a racbrute 6U to the Doepfer 9U thinking (like everyone else I suppose) it would be cool...

the doepfer 9u always seems a little under powered...

And I totally understand when you refer to more utilities: the last modules I bought were actually oriented this way:
- Ladik A-541 for 2 mono OUT feeding Octatrack IN A and IN B
- Ladik A-410 Pan/Mix/VCA
- MI Links not so much for multing but rather as a precision adder
Next one will most likely be Ladik S-090 Dual Probability Skipper and then already thinking about Sequential Switches...
What other utilities do you have in mind?

all of them... by that I mean the ones you reach for and don't have... it's possible you don't know what they are yet... almost always more vcas, more mixers, more inverters, more attenuators, , logic, more offsets... I like a simple clock divider - not only because it can divide clocks, but also audio - /2 = -1ve, /4 = -2ve... square wave output... not something you get from Pams...

Could you also elaborate on matrix mixers if you don't mind?
Many thanks for taking the time.
L
-- Loersatz

4 inputs, 4 outputs, each output is a mix of the 4 inputs... really useful for combining copies of modulation to derive 4 more complex but related modulation sources from those input...

also useful for (amogst other things):

send differently attenuated versions of the same input to 4 different destinations

feedback - lets say you have a delay module, but it doesn't have feedback built in - patch one of the outputs of the matricx mixer to the in of the delay and another to wherever you want that delay to go to... pacth whatever you want to delay and the output of the delay into 2 of the inputs... mix to taste!

send/return - whtever you want to send into an in, the one of the outputs to the whatever you want to send to, output of that module back into one of the ins - another of the outs can now be used as the return

parallel processing - similar to above, but use 3 outputs to send to effects, use 3 inputs for the returns, depending on mixing you could have a clewan signal into each effect and then mix the original clean signal with 3 effected signals

stereouizer/manual panner - mono signal into input - 2 outputs become L & R - depending on relevant levels initial mono input is placed somewhere in the stereo field

I like mono ones, the doepfer particularly (ergonomics) - for most of these tasks... tbh I ihave 2 (non-doepfer) and could do with at least 1 more... 1 will be a doepfer and after that I may grab a stereo one (but only for audio) - I mostly use them for modulation

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thank you VERY much Jim,
I appreciate you taking the time detailing your answer to my questions.

Indeed home (studio) usage as no dates for live as of yet.

The Doepfer case I have (https://www.thomann.de/es/doepfer_a_100p9_case_psu3.htm) is not that bad: 2000mA +12V / 1200mA -12V / 4000mA +5V. It is the PSU3 version, not the old one.
I was going to go for a Case From Lake 12U 104hp but changing the power source in it (Meanwell if I am correct) to a Doepfer one was going to cost me a lot of cash. I might just go for another Doepfer 6U 84 hp (https://www.thomann.de/es/doepfer_a_100pb_psu3.htm).
I have some hungry modules (4ms Listen4 is 200mA +12V, Sarajewo is 180mA +12V), I am getting to the point where I will have to spare power consumption. I might swap Sarajewo for Chronoblob2 and Listen4 for the Supamix from Eowave.

Regarding utilities and your statement "it's possible you don't know what they are yet..."
You are absolutely correct on this one: I am looking at sequential switches, switches, logic etc...
It does make sense as I am well served with OSCs and modulation but your signature just stroke me (sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities :) Some of these utilities I understand and can see the need for them. Others remain a mistery but surely time will tell...
I will most likely PM you (if that is ok by you) and ask some questions regarding others.

Sorry for asking the stupid question about matrix mixers as I went and had a look on YT which clearly explained it :)
The Doepfer one looks pretty good to me. If you have any suggestions, I will gladly read your post.

Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

Best,
Olivier

Thank you VERY much Jim,
I appreciate you taking the time detailing your answer to my questions.

No problrm...

Regarding utilities and your statement "it's possible you don't know what they are yet..."
You are absolutely correct on this one: I am looking at sequential switches, switches, logic etc...
It does make sense as I am well served with OSCs and modulation but your signature just stroke me (sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities :) Some of these utilities I understand and can see the need for them. Others remain a mistery but surely time will tell...

I think once you have a few sound sources, modulation sources and sound modifiers, utilities are the most cost effective way of getting more out of your modular... they exponentially increase the patching possibilities

I will most likely PM you (if that is ok by you) and ask some questions regarding others.

please feel free to do so...

Sorry for asking the stupid question about matrix mixers as I went and had a look on YT which clearly explained it :)

no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers...

The Doepfer one looks pretty good to me. If you have any suggestions, I will gladly read your post.

Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

Best,
Olivier
-- Loersatz

Hi again :)
I am looking for a stereo filter to use after my Monsoon.
A bit more details: I am using a wavetable voice (Osiris) going through a SEM filter which then gets processed by a mid side module (WORNG MidSide+). The side is processed by a reverb (reverse reverb from FX Aid). This is fed into Monsoon. I would like to tame down the processed audio with a stereo filter.
Any advice or opinions on this type of filter?
Currently looking at Shakmat Dual Dagger, Bizarre Jezabel pkhi mk3, WMD Overseer. Multimode would be a plus :)
Thanks for any advice or input :)
L
ModularGrid Rack