Interested in modular for a long time but I always steered clear. Then in February I bought a DSI Pro 2 (which has CV in and out),
so I thought I'd buy one of those West Pests to have a wave folded analog extra oscillator to run into the Pro 2. Then a week later I visited my friend who gave me 2 Happy Ending kits. Later that week, I bought 6 fairly random modules (the cheapest ones!) from a local music shop. I had those until yesterday when I went a little crazy and bought a Rubicon, STO, uFold, uVCA, and Quadrax on Reverb. Those are in the mail today. So, heres what I will have by the end of the week. The West Pest can of course come out of the rack, and will Im sure. Just more convenient for it to live there now until I need the space.
So: opinions on what I need. This is all in a desktop 19" rack with HE kits. I could add another set of rails and go up to 9U, but thats as far as I want to go within the next year for budget reasons. I really don't like the Dreadbox modules; too tight, trimmers, etc..
So I think I'm actually interested in BIG modules, or well spaced out ones, not maximizing per-HP return.
Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

Maths - it's a good learning tool - what with all the video resources and the 'maths illustrated supplement' - work your way through the latter a few times concentrating on what, how and why and you'll do yourself a big favour... & it's also incredibly useful and not small...

A matrix mixer - incredibly useful - from taking multiple modulation sources and making them more complex to setting up send/return or feedback processing for effects

xaoc samara would also make a good addition... as would a kinks clone

I'll point you to my signature - as I usually do in most posts - for a few hints on how to get a versatile modular for as little as possible - the formula scales from tiny systems, to the truly massive

I only see one uZeus module - and the power draw is over it's capabilities - on the +12v this can be remedied by using the higher powered 'turbo' power adapter, but the -12v is probably quite bit over... not only should you leave at least 20%, better still 30%, headroom on each rail, but 533mA is more than the max draw on this rail even with the jumper switched - regular setting is just 400mA (so you don't really want to be going much over 300mA - don't skrimp on power - it's really important!!!

all this of course can be remedied by removing the West Pest...

how are you playing this? a sequencer might be a good idea... at least 2 channels...

how are you listenimg? via an external mixer or audio interface?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Jim, thank you. I'm all about the utilities! Just trying to figure out which ones.
Samara II seems to be out everywhere. Samara the original, none available on Reverb.
If I were to get Samara, would that mean getting rid of Miso or Utopia, or both? Or keeping all three?
Kinks looks great Im sold.
I have 2 uZeus withe the stock wall-warts, so I think Im good for this 6u 84 hp, though of course its only 80 hp for each row withy the power headers there.
I'm listening via an audio interface, Behringer 1820. It has a pad on each line level input, so good for attenuating hot euro signal.
Not sure about sequencing. I think I'm mostly interested in "old" ways of doing things (i.e. shift registers and logic and such).
Definitely interested in more West Coast type ways of working, from what I understand. Not necessarily bongos, but definitley creating rhythms through modulated modulation. That is to say, I'm interested both in the sound design potential of modular, but also the sequencing. Also: the west pest has a simple sequencer, and my DSI pro 2 has an analog 16 or 32 step sequencer, with pitch+gate+3 additional CV's out.

Jim, thank you. I'm all about the utilities! Just trying to figure out which ones.
Samara II seems to be out everywhere. Samara the original, none available on Reverb.

Patience is a requirement when it comes to modular... it always was, but the pandemic knock on effects have made things worse than usual for the last few years (and I expect for a while to come)

If I were to get Samara, would that mean getting rid of Miso or Utopia, or both? Or keeping all three?

it would be the last option for me... but you may be different... I'd keep them and see...

Kinks looks great Im sold.

clones are available not sure of names though

I have 2 uZeus withe the stock wall-warts, so I think Im good for this 6u 84 hp, though of course its only 80 hp for each row withy the power headers there.

yeah should be ok...

I'm listening via an audio interface, Behringer 1820. It has a pad on each line level input, so good for attenuating hot euro signal.
Not sure about sequencing. I think I'm mostly interested in "old" ways of doing things (i.e. shift registers and logic and such).

then you want a clock, clock divider, sample and holds etc etc... search for "sequencing without a sequencer" on modwiggler - there should be some good advice there

Definitely interested in more West Coast type ways of working, from what I understand. Not necessarily bongos, but definitley creating rhythms through modulated modulation. That is to say, I'm interested both in the sound design potential of modular, but also the sequencing. Also: the west pest has a simple sequencer, and my DSI pro 2 has an analog 16 or 32 step sequencer, with pitch+gate+3 additional CV's out.
-- iguai

If you're in "West Coast" synthesis - then I'd look at modules from Random*Source, Tiptop/Buchla and Elby

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities