Looking to expand Mini Brute into the world of modular. How does the community think these modules will play (well, not well, redundant, missing something key, etc...) with the MB?
Comments and ideas appreciated. Looking for pieces to expand bass line creation for acid/house as well as techno and some minimal techno. Not sure which of the two filters I will go with... I love the sound of the Erica Synths DB-01, but I've heard some stuff done with the MUM M8 and it seems really wild.
Thanks everyone.

About acid/house there's something that might interest you here, the ADDAC107 ‘Acid Source’: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/12346

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Looking to expand Mini Brute into the world of modular. How does the community think these modules will play (well, not well, redundant, missing something key, etc...) with the MB?
-- mashume

Which Minibrute do you mean, the 2/2s, or do you mean the Microbrute? The 2s is awesome in conjuction with modular, so many cool modulation and sequencing possibilities. The Microbrute's patchbay is much more limited, but would still expand quite well into a modular rack. Do you already have the linked rack, or are you still shopping around? If you haven't gotten it yet, you may want to consider going a little bigger (the Rackbrute 6u is a good starter size, though I might recommend a Tip Top Mantis - both are great). Don't get me wrong, you can 100% build an amazing instrument in the rack size you have, but you're going to have to be conservative with hp.

How much control do you want over the basslines? Will you mostly be sequencing basslines on the MB and then sending the audio to the rack for futzing, or are you mainly looking to use your rack to modulate cv that goes back and forth into the MB? Or do you want to use the rack to create the bassline melodies itself? I see you've added a good deal of random cv possibilities to the rack since posting, how are you planning to use those? Will you be clocking from the MB?

In general though, you need more architecture (meaning utilities) to get the most out of your modules. For example, you need VCAs; the ones provided on the MB2 are not enough for an expanded system. A chainable VCA like the Intellijel Quad VCA or Mutable Instruments Veils works well. The Veils is the first module I got to expand my Minibrute 2s when dipping my toes into modular, and it completely changed how I used the synth. Also, you are missing modulators like LFOs (ignoring MATHS which, of course, can do that too). A voltage controlled LFO like XAOC's Batumi would give you excellent controllable LFOs that can drastically change your sounds and cv. I see you've added attenuverters/offsets, and MATHS can do that quite handily, but you may want to consider more, so you can better control the modulations and randomness. Happy Nerding's 3xMIA is pretty good at that, and gives you mixing, helping to free up the VCAs and MATHS which can be used in other ways.

There are a number of other utility, modulating, or signal mangling modules that I could recommend, but it really all depends on your goals, particularly with a rack of that size. Hope this helps.

@HGSynth, marvelous response. Thank you for you insights. Shopping around for the rack, but focused on the rackbrute 6u. I've not seen anything but the 6u rackbrute available (I had originally thought that the 3u version would do), so I'm not anticipating a shortage of HP being available. I hadn't expected to ponder beyond a bit of modulation and some effects (lacking any on the mb 2s).

Minibrute 2s. I'd like to use the sequencer on the 2s for most of the sequencing and clock -- which also goes out to (or comes in from -- not sure which I prefer) an erica synths lxr-02 for drums, and do some processing, futzing, modulating of the bass lines on the rack.

I've added some randomness to the modules, yes. As I think more about sound, it seems that one of the true strengths of adding modular is getting a bit farther from the norms of integrated or even semi-modular synths.

I will read up on the modules you've hilighted above. Thank you again for your comments.

@HGSynth has done a great job there with advice

I'd also take a quick look at my signature - & spend some time thinking about it... it's a quick guide to getting the most versatility for the least expense... & it scales well too...

bigger case - check... can't say I'm a fan of the rackbrutes, as a starter case I think the mantis wins every time on every level (hp/cost/manufacturer reputation/decent power supply/no hideous rack wart), but as an addition to a minibrute they make a lot of sense, but only if you're going to connect them physically... if you're not going to connect them and have the rack to the side of the minibrute then the mantis wins (& they come in black now too)

definitely worth investigating more modulation sources and utilities...

Maths is brilliant - it's got decent ergonomics and a decent feature set - which in itself is invaluable, but most importantly there's a lot of educational material - videos and especially the 'maths illustrated supplement' which is an excellent primer for patch programming and patching in general - especially when time is spent trying to understand what, why and how it's doing what it's doing...

the addition of another modulation source such as batumi or zadar is a great idea!

I'd probably go for the Happy Nerding 3 x MIA over the TUL as you get an extra channel in the same hp and ergonomics is still good

a quad cascading vca is a investment - I'd go for a veils clone myself - you can never have too many vcas!!!! yjru're really useful for modulation as well as audio! and they can be used to attenuate modular level down a bit before hitting whatever you're currently using to mix the minibrute and the drum machine

if you can find one, a kinks clone is always useful

if you're thinking of using the turing machine as a pitch sequencer at all, you'll almost definitely want to add a quantizer

I always like a matrix mixer (or 2) - great for combining modulation, setting up feedback loops into sound modifiers, send/return of effects etc etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

You need to test different approaches and methods and find the best one! It's like in books the path appears under the feet of the walker)))))))But I'm often busy with plastic here surgery and don't have much time for tests although I do make time for some modifications!

You need to test different approaches and methods and find the best one! It's like in books the path appears under the feet of the walker)))))))
-- GregoryStellar

This is true and wise. Though, from time to time, it’s advisable to look where you set foot :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).