Dear community,
I'm a complete modular newbie. After watching the latest tutorial on production with software synths where some guy recommended to measure the kick drum tails in ms to set the side chain more precisely I was finally sick of that. I want more imperfection and haptics. And coming from playing e-bass in metal bands I miss the aspect of live performance, too.

I start the journey with an Arturia MiniBrute 2s combined with the 6U rack. Additionally I'm using the AKAI MPC One. To be honest I have no clue yet, how to make these three work together. So, could anyone tell me if this module compilation is a good start. The idea is to produce fast ambient/hypnotic techno.

hi Blizz,

I would like to say you have all you need to start with the miniBrute and the MPC. Get to know them, learn how they vould work together before you start filling up your rack. If you know what the MPC and Minibrut can do and how they interact you know what you might want from the modules in your rack. Keep the learning curve small it always helped me in my creativity.

my two cents Niemandsland

hi Blizz,

I would like to say you have all you need to start with the miniBrute and the MPC. Get to know them, learn how they vould work together before you start filling up your rack. If you know what the MPC and Minibrut can do and how they interact you know what you might want from the modules in your rack. Keep the learning curve small it always helped me in my creativity.

my two cents Niemandsland
-- Niemandsland

I'd very strongly agree with @Niemansland here...

there are a few "issues" with the modules that you've selected - too many (& too large - Magneto - imo) fx for this case... No mixing solutions... not enough modulation... a turing machine, but no quantizer (if you want to use a turing machine for pitch you will need a quantizer to make it play in a particular scale - tune the oscillator to get the set the root note)

when you are ready to commit money to modular - I'd take a look at the hints on how to get the most versatility for the least expenditure in my signature and have a good think about what it's telling you... then try again regarding what modules you want to put in your rack and those you need to support them...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hey, Thank you guys for the quick response.

Probably you'll save me some money by these answers. I already got some of the cheaper modules as a birthday present but I'll stick to those until I'm ready for more.

The Minibrute does not have a FX section, so I feel like I need at least a delay and a reverb and I want it to be outside my DAW. Would you use the on-board-effects of the MPC or go for the Dual FX, for example?

I would go with the fx section in the MPC. Get to know theyr sounds and capabilities and then get something with a difrent sound colour and posibilities for your rack.

I would go with the fx section in the MPC. Get to know theyr sounds and capabilities and then get something with a difrent sound colour and posibilities for your rack.
-- Niemandsland

Initially this makes a lot of sense..

really the best reasons to go for in rack effects are - it must be in the rack (portability or OCD issues) or you must have mdulation via CV (woozy modulated reverbs and delays can sound interesting) - or because a specific effect is only available in eurorack format (probably not that many) or you want to experiment with unusual signal paths (effects early in the signal chain before, for example, filtering or waveshaping/folding etc)

but all those can come later...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities