Hi folks,
I haven't posted for a long while, but I hope everyone on the forum is well.

A while ago I bought a Make Noise 7u case and have been slowly filling it up (mostly with Make Noise modules). I feel I need some help from the forum on the best way to arrange the modules I have, in terms of ergonomics.

If anyone has any suggestions for a better way to put my rack together I'd be very grateful. Also, if anyone has any advice for what to put in the final 10hp that would be good too.

My initial thought for the last 10hp is another fx module, I'm thinking the MFX from ALM as this also has a tuner and a scope which could come in useful - I'd be happy to leave the last 4hp as a Make Noise Blank (I quite like the idea of a bit of branding). But if anyone has any better ideas I'd be very happy to hear them. Thanks in advance for your time.

ModularGrid Rack

For a little percussion: Basimilus? (10hp).
The way you have arranged your modules seems well designed, in my opinion...

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

-- Sweelinck

I agree. Personally, I would probably put the DPO in the top left to avoid bumping the frequency knobs, but if that's not a problem for you, don't bother.

For a little percussion: Basimilus? (10hp).
-- Sweelinck

Hi - thanks for your reply. People do amazing things with the BIA but it's not the sort of sound I'm after. I'm aiming for dreamy soundscapes that can modulate and evolve, which is why I was considering the MFX. Thinking about it, the reverb from Noise Engineering might be another option...

Hi - thanks for your reply. People do amazing things with the BIA but it's not the sort of sound I'm after. I'm aiming for dreamy soundscapes that can modulate and evolve, which is why I was considering the MFX. Thinking about it, the reverb from Noise Engineering might be another option...

-- ModLifeCrisis

I'm not sure that anyone would associtate Noise Engineering with dreamy soundscapes - it can be done, from what I've heard, but it wouldn't be my first point of call...

I own 1 NE modules, the zularic repetitor (which I think is an excellent module) and am currently wearing an NE t-shirt

I'd also look at the fx aid pro as an alternative to the MFX (latest firmware has a scope) and has way more algoritms - claims to include a tuner - but it seems to be more like a pitch to tune to - I use a pedal tuner myself, but a phone app would be just as good (or most DAWS include them)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

@ModLifeCrisis If you are aiming for dreamy soundscapes EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath would be a great option. Unfortunately the module is a 16hp... On the other hand there is the pedal. I’ve been using it for a long time. And if I hardly publish anything, this time I have a little example.
O-Coast > Afterneath pedal :)

@JimHowell1970 +1 for FX Aid, and +1 for your t-shirt :))

Thanks for your replies everyone. The FX Aid Pro looks good but is 14hp (I think), so too big for me. I suppose I could chuck my ALM SBG in there and use a pedal but I do like the idea of everything being in the case. I'm also considering the Doepfer Spring but I'm not sure whether it would fit in the Make Noise case once it is wired up.

Thanks for your replies everyone. The FX Aid Pro looks good but is 14hp (I think), so too big for me. I suppose I could chuck my ALM SBG in there and use a pedal but I do like the idea of everything being in the case. I'm also considering the Doepfer Spring but I'm not sure whether it would fit in the Make Noise case once it is wired up.
-- ModLifeCrisis

sounds like it's time for, the inevitable, case no. 2 then!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

-- JimHowell1970

No way! :) I feel like even this sized case us too big for my Very Small Brain to handle.

Hard bargain...
Our last word: FX Aid XL (6hp) + your Make Noise Blank (4hp).
Give me five!

Hard bargain...
Our last word: FX Aid XL (6hp) + your Make Noise Blank (4hp).
Give me five!
-- Sweelinck

-- JimHowell1970

No way! :) I feel like even this sized case us too big for my Very Small Brain to handle.

-- ModLifeCrisis

hahahaha, it's tiny!!!

I have about 1800hp of cases...

thanks again folks. I have purchased an FX Aid XL It should arrive on Tuesday. I'm sure it will make me sound 100 times better ;).

My A.D.D. wants to put Pam with the other silvers

over:under

My A.D.D. wants to put Pam with the other silvers
-- AEROCATONE

I agree, but i find it hard to see the screen on PNW if it's in the top row.

Here's a black panel for it:
https://morkmodules.com/en-us/products/alm-pamelas-new-workout-black-panel

over:under

This is my latest configuration. I fear the mash up of black and silver will be frowned upon. I'm still trying to work out the best place to put the mult or if I even need one. My thinking at present is to use it to send out multiple streams from the DPO and use the Morphagene/LXD/Mimeophon as it's own voice - so a two or three voice system, depending on how I use the DPO...

ModularGrid Rack

Doesn't the center row of the Make Noise case function as a mult (or even multiple mults)? If so, I would probably eliminate any further mults from a case this size. Just my two cents.

Doesn't the center row of the Make Noise case function as a mult (or even multiple mults)? If so, I would probably eliminate any further mults from a case this size. Just my two cents.
-- farkas

I agree with you, but what I'm finding is that I'm using all the centre mults to mult random, LFOs, pressure points, CV from the Rene and PNW... I sometimes find myself needing more mults but I may be overdoing it. I'm still at the "I wonder what happens if I plug that in there?" stage...

I'm still at the "I wonder what happens if I plug that in there?" stage...

-- ModLifeCrisis

That's a great place to be! :)
Have fun and mult away! I bought a bunch of those little star shaped external mults for just this reason. I can't remember who makes them but you can find them for around $6 in the U.S.