Hello

I plan to build my first EuroRack and so far this is what I came up with (plan to buy either Intellijel or Befaco 7u case) . What do you think is missing, should be added or removed?
My main concern is Hector. Should I give up on this and replace if Fx Aid Pro?

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks for the help in advance!

Deus, Dei, Daemon

I'm not a big fan of the modular in a module approach... it's not imo a very modular approach imo - more synthesis with modules than modular synthesis...

I'd much rather have actual modules or a es8 or es9 and use vcv rack... so I'd go for the FX Aid Pro every time over the hector...

I'm not sure you need both the midi -> cv module and Hermod + (hermod has midi->cv capabilities)

neither am I a big fan of the oxi coral and similar modules that are better played with midi and can do lots of voices... although at least you'll be able to play it with the hermod plus... mainly because I'd want separate chords, bassline and lead modules and the support modules that are needed for them - vcas, filters etc... because that's where modular actually gets to be worth it... at a minimum I'd want more filters - at least a dual/stereo one for the oxi... probably another for the sampler... don't see much point in a mono filter in thos set up

could also do with some vcas (a quad cascading one would be a good investment) and some other utilities - possibly a matrix mixer...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks!

Guess I will drop the Hector and add Fx Aid Pro then

As for filter - would QPAS be a good option?

Deus, Dei, Daemon

QPAS is great. It has a very unique character that may or may not be what you are looking for. If you are looking for a more "vintage" sounding filter or something with self-oscillating resonance, QPAS might be a good second filter. Be sure to watch some demo videos (MylarMelodies and DivKid have good demos for QPAS). I would recommend taking a look at the Future Sound Systems Timbral Sculptor too. That thing never fails to impress me.
You didn't mention what kind of music you are hoping to make with modular. Maybe give us some details so that we can steer you in the right direction.
Have fun and good luck!

there's a lot of menu diving here, multi parameters tied to one knob to remember and tiny little screens.. for me once this system is patched it will be a nightmare reading/interacting with those screens. like JimHowell I'm neither a fan of this approach.
Ask yourself if you are more into pre programmed stuff, set and forget or if you want to have a finer, much straight and direct control over your modulation/cv and sounds.
I would add more utilities and stuffs that you could interact with: modulations, matrix mixer, more basic and utilitarian modules.. less headache, more fun and easier learning curve

Read Jim's signature...

over:under

QPAS is great. It has a very unique character that may or may not be what you are looking for. If you are looking for a more "vintage" sounding filter or something with self-oscillating resonance, QPAS might be a good second filter. Be sure to watch some demo videos (MylarMelodies and DivKid have good demos for QPAS). I would recommend taking a look at the Future Sound Systems Timbral Sculptor too. That thing never fails to impress me.
You didn't mention what kind of music you are hoping to make with modular. Maybe give us some details so that we can steer you in the right direction.
Have fun and good luck!

-- farkas

In terms of music - I mostly do variations of ambient, but would want to do something more hard (industrial)

Deus, Dei, Daemon

I suggest anything from Noise Engineering for Industrial (and everthing else). Their complete voices (Cursus Iteritas Percido and Loquelic Iteritas Percido) are perfect for your starter kit, as they are fully formed and ready to go anywhere you want to take them as well as other worlds you never knew exsisted.

over:under

In terms of music - I mostly do variations of ambient, but would want to do something more hard (industrial)

-- dithegrey

Sounds good. Depending on what other gear you already have, I'd say both of my filter recommendations remain in this case. QPAS for the spacey ambient side and FSS Timbral Sculptor for the heavier sounds.