Hi all,
I watched videos and played with vcv for a while now. Recently, I got a 7x88 case with some 2hp modules and an used beatstep pro for a good price (the modules on the right).
I put together a rack and would like to hear why it's hortible and not useable at all.
Please tell me what it can not do and what is missing the most.

The rack could be expanded by one or two more rows of 88 hp, but I'd rather start slow.

ModularGrid Rack

rgds.

looks like 4u to me!! & 88hp is a wierd width... are you sure it's not 84?

things you are absolutely missing... not enough vcas or mixers... for either audio or cv... so no sub-mixing for example...no attenuators for cv... & only 1 filter??? you have 2 sound sources, the through zero & the 2hp vco, combined, and the sto... I'd want at least 2.. ok you have an optomix, which can kind of be 2 vca/filters, but...

the BSP has 2 pitch outputs... I'd probably want a buffered mult to copy the pitch to all 3 vcos...

I'd want delay & reverb, not delay or reverb or chorus...

if you have 7u I'd seriously consider maths over function - it's much more versatile! see the maths illustrated supplement (via google) for more information...

I think x-pan is over the top for these modules... no stereo modules... I'd stay mono at least for now... & replace this with a quad cascading vca (veils clone) - which can be used as a mono output...

I'd also split up the 2hp modules so they are more useable...

I'd suggest only adding a couple of modules to start with and learning them inside out, before adding more... and then only adding 1 or 2 modules and repeating and repeating...

I'd probably go with maths & a quad vca to start...

hope this helps!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

+1 for Jim's suggestion of Maths, but I'd hold off on getting a full size Quad VCA because the 2hp VCA is adequate until you have a larger system.

IMO it'd be more fun to get Maths + Plaits clone first. Then start thinking about adding modules to get more out of the system

+1 for Jim's suggestion of Maths, but I'd hold off on getting a full size Quad VCA because the 2hp VCA is adequate until you have a larger system.
-- 33PO

And again, not to mention Optomix with its vca function on each channel...

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

-- 33PO

And again, not to mention Optomix with its vca function on each channel...
-- Sweelinck

you can never have too many vcas!!! especially dc-coupled quad cascading ones - as they double as both audio and cv mixers - which you can also never have too many of!!!

well not totally true, but the more the merrier!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Lots of information I have to get sorted, but I get the more vca’s and mixers tip.

Rgds.