Hi all,
I have a (stupid?) question.
I am using both a Mimetic Digitalis and Voltage Block to sequence CV.
I would like to avoid buying a quantizer as space is a "luxury" :)
Here is my question: let's say I want to send a random CV sequence from Mimetic Digitalis but would like it to be quantized.
Can I send this random sequence to Lapsus Os and offset it with a quantized sequence from Voltage Block?
Or should I look at it the other way around, ie: send a quantized CV sequence from Voltage Block to Lapsus Os and offset it with a random CV sequence from Mimetic Digitalis?
Am I missing something in the understanding of offset?
Any help/hint/advice would be much apprecuiated.
Best,
L

I think what you may want in this case is a precision adder.

*Edit: I just looked at your rack. Try adding the two signals together in the middle section of your MI Links to see if that does the trick.

Thank you @farkas :)
I have indeed used the MI Links as a precision adder and it does the trick.
I was talking about a solution with Voltage Block + Mimetic Digitalis + Lapsus Os as I could have more than one voice being quantized.
As you had a look at my current rig, may I ask if you see any "inconsistencies"?
Thanks again for taking the time.

Hello,

I'm writing the following assuming that we're talking about a V/Oct pitch CV.

You wouldn't be able to quantize the Mimetic Digitalis's CV without a quantizer. By offsetting MD's output with Voltage Block's output, you are doing just that: offsetting MD's unquantized output with VB's output. This would not quantize MD's output.

You're second idea will work though. Since VB's sequence is already quantized, you can offset/transpose that sequence with MD's output. So the melody is coming from VB, and MD is transposing it up and down. If this is what you want to do, then @farkas is right, you will want a precision adder.

I hope that helps, and I'd be happy to answer any further questions if I'm able to.

-Chace

Hi @Chace :)
Thanks for the heads up.
So if I understand correctly, I could:
1) Send a V/Oct pitch CV from Voltage Block
2) Have it going up/down in a random manner from Mimetic Digitalis
Now my question: how do I integrate the precision adder in the flow?
I am looking at the Doepfer A-185-2 and not sure how to work it out.
All these utilities modules are new to me :)
Apologies for the dumb question.

Check out the Noise Engineering Quantus Pax if you want multiple quantized Voltage Block channels added to multiple random cv signals.

OK so just trying to use what I currently have as of now.
Could I do the following:
1. Send a quantised sequence from Voltage Block to MI Links In1
2. Send a random sequence from Mimetic Digitalis to MI Links In2 (which could go through an attenuator for more control)
3. Send MI Links Out 1 to an Osc Pitch In
MI Links would actually transpose, no?

Yes. That's what I suggested initially. Give it a try and let us know if that's what you were hoping for.

2. Send a random sequence from Mimetic Digitalis to MI Links In2 (which could go through an attenuator for more control)

Edit:
@farkas
Works great :)
Thank you all.

Edit:
@farkas
Works great :)
Thank you all.
-- Loersatz

I'd want a quantizer at some point after the mimetic digitalis - as it's not quantized - immediately before or after links - both will work... unless you don't want 12TET, in which case any old mixer will do - as the precision adding in links is superfluous

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi @JimHowell1970
Thanks for your input.
What exactly do you mean by "the precision adding in links is superfluous"?
Not precise at all?

Hi @JimHowell1970
Thanks for your input.
What exactly do you mean by "the precision adding in links is superfluous"?
Not precise at all?
-- Loersatz

links is a precision adder... so good for adding 2 quantized signals together and getting a 'quantized' output ie c1 + c1 = c2

MD output is not quantized... so if you add this to a quantized signal the output is not quantized anymore... so using a precision adder to sum the 2 signals is unnecessary - any old mixer will do the same job - output a non-quantized signal...

if you want to stay in 12tet (or whatever scale) then you need to quantize either the MD output (before adding - so 2 quantized values are precision added to another quantized signal ie c1 + c1 = c2) or the links output has to be quantized (to get c1 + unquantized signal = unquantized signal -> quantizer = quantized signal)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

MD does have some quantization options if you press the knob down and tune each step, however there is no scale selection, its just chromatic: https://noiseengineering.us/blogs/loquelic-literitas-the-blog/does-mimetic-digitalis-need-quantizer

but it sounds more like you want a sequencer that had a transpose by CV option? some of the ornaments and crime apps offer this (just as an example, there are many options out there)

MD does have some quantization options if you press the knob down and tune each step, however there is no scale selection, its just chromatic: https://noiseengineering.us/blogs/loquelic-literitas-the-blog/does-mimetic-digitalis-need-quantizer

but it sounds more like you want a sequencer that had a transpose by CV option? some of the ornaments and crime apps offer this (just as an example, there are many options out there)
-- Sythic

that's good - I didn't see that in the description... personally I like to be able to tell what I'm transposing by... not that it's important unless you are playing with others (or other instruments)... I also like to be able to transpose individual sequencer channels - so a sequencer that transposes isn't necessarily that useful - especially if it's multi-channel - personally I use a sinfonion - which can do transposition to the correct root and scale - based upon the currently selected chord (which itself can be sequenced)

Thanks @JimHowell1970 and @Sythic
Transpose would be added value indeed :)
I believe a chalkboard would be an option.