Hey all,

First time posting, but have been slowly learning and building my rack over the past 2 years. My style of music is very melodic breakbeat type of stuff. My goal is to build a rack to help compliment this style of music, so things like FM drums, weird percussive and melodic fx, basically things difficult to achieve using MIDI and some basic hard synths. I use an E-RM MIDI clock to sync all my gear hence the Erica MIDI-CV module.

Here is my current setup using Arturia's RackBrute 6U. Not shown is also my Make Noise 0-coast.

I have several questions for you all that I can't seem to find the answers for online:
- Does it make sense for me to have PipSlope AND Dual ADSR?
- I'm not totally sold on my Filter module. Any suggestions on something more playable for filters?
- Does the layout make sense to you? I find myself moving things around a ton b/c the workflow just doesn't make sense to me sometimes.
- Any other module suggestions would be great! The goal is eventually to have this part of my live setup for additional percussive/melodic elements.

Thanks!

& the link because... well, jpgs are useless...

ModularGrid Rack

the thumbnail doesn't match the rack though!!!

pip slope & adsr: depends if you use both of them or not - I'd try taking the adsr out & see if it makes a difference to your patching... why the adsr & not the pip slope - it's quite big and will free up more space... if you decide you do need an adsr - there are smaller ones...

filters: get the one(s) you like the sound of best...

layout: I'd probably move maths (& the adsr if you decide to keep it) down and the filter & veils up - order depends on if you usually go vco->filter->vca or vco->vca->filter... I'd probably try to move the midi module up (to the left of pams)

suggestions: more modulation (batumi or another similar sized quad lfo), attenuators, switches, a matrix mixer, a multi-fx module (I like fx aid pro)... but by the time you add those you'll need a bigger rack (get a mantis!)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

& the link because... well, jpgs are useless...

ModularGrid Rack

the thumbnail doesn't match the rack though!!!

pip slope & adsr: depends if you use both of them or not - I'd try taking the adsr out & see if it makes a difference to your patching... why the adsr & not the pip slope - it's quite big and will free up more space... if you decide you do need an adsr - there are smaller ones...

filters: get the one(s) you like the sound of best...

layout: I'd probably move maths (& the adsr if you decide to keep it) down and the filter & veils up - order depends on if you usually go vco->filter->vca or vco->vca->filter... I'd probably try to move the midi module up (to the left of pams)

suggestions: more modulation (batumi or another similar sized quad lfo), attenuators, switches, a matrix mixer, a multi-fx module (I like fx aid pro)... but by the time you add those you'll need a bigger rack (get a mantis!)

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks so much for this feedback! Going to take the time today to rearrange the modules. You're probably right. Might not even need the DUAL ADSR. At least, not at the moment. And good shout on the Mantis case!

Also yes, you discovered my issue when pasting the link. My rack didn't populate properly. Not sure why!

Thanks so much for this feedback! Going to take the time today to rearrange the modules. You're probably right. Might not even need the DUAL ADSR. At least, not at the moment. And good shout on the Mantis case!

NP

Also yes, you discovered my issue when pasting the link. My rack didn't populate properly. Not sure why!

-- mattheo

I think you have to do a refresh... but I'm not 100% on that

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I go from my ERM multiclock straight into PAMs - You can send an analog clock out fr0m output one of the ERM

I go from my ERM multiclock straight into PAMs - You can send an analog clock out fr0m output one of the ERM
-- greenfly

Wow, I did not know this. Amazing, thanks for the tip!